Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

I'm with ya Matty, I love love love the sound. Good stuff and I'm glad the driver is finding as much success with you as it is me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad to see everyone is still enjoying this

Tap tap taparoo

ML4 UPDATE

I've played two rounds since my last update with the ML4 but unfortunately for the first, not much of an update was warranted. The first round, I'd woken up with my back barking a bit and as luck would have it, it was essentially out during the round. I couldn't make a complete swing and although I hit the ML4 solidly, an update would be silly as I was only at about 60%.

Yesterday, I played again. Back was stiff but near full strength. Only, the course itself took driver out of my hands. I played Long Island National in Riverhead, NY for the first time. Impressive course but on the short side even from the tips so I only pulled driver 7 times.

I hit 5/7 fairways but my misses weren't bad at all. At the range prior to the round, I was hitting slight fades with the ML4.

Hole #1

Par-4 427 yards. Due to my hitting fades on the range, on the first tee I lined up left of center of the fairway intending to play the fade. No fade, instead I drew the ball a bit and due both to the started line and the layout of the hole, it found the long fescue. Had I lined up properly, it would have been a solid drive. I didn't mark for distance, but I only had 157 yards to the center from where I was.

Hole #2

Par-4 457 yards. Lined up for draw and hit draw. Long into the breeze 275 yards. I'd marked distance with my gps with driver from here on out. I tee'd it a bit lower and hit a boring, mid-flight draw.

I didn't pull driver again until the 10th hole and wouldn't pull it again until the 15th. Also pulled it for the long last 3 finishing holes.

Hole #10

Par-5, 516 yards, straight-away hole, wind helping and a bit left to right. Friends commented about how every par-5 on this course was a three-shot hole. I hammer one dead down the middle, 311 yards. With only 199 left to the front-pin placement, I duffed my 5-iron. Still parred but I was thinking much better. Before duffing the iron, following my drive one buddy says, "I take it back and I should know by now, it's a three-shot hole for the rest of us." :smile:

Hole #15

Par-4, 389 yards. Into a breeze, dead down the middle, 274 yards. This one is with an asterik although it has nothing to do with the ML4. I'd first tee'd off with 4-wood on this shorter par-4 but lost it right into the woods. Forced to tee up 3 now and already hurting myself when I'd intended to play safe, pissed me off a bit. So I went back to the bag for the ML4. Hitting a nice shot after screwing up the 4-wood felt great. Got up and down to save bogey.

Hole#16

Par-4, 466 yards. Into the wind, dog-leg left hole demands straight shot left of center or a draw off the tee. I hit it solidly and straight left of center, 267 yards.

Hole #17

Par-4, 473 yards. Really uncomfortable on the tee as I don't know where to aim. Looks like the fairway narrows near where I'd land it, but I can't really tell. Tempted to avoid trouble by pulling 4-wood with the wind at my back but my last experience with 4-wood quickly changes my mind. Hit driver, too tentatively was my guess and pushed it right. On any other hole, not a bad shot at all but no good on this one. Down a hill and into some deep fescue. Couldn't find it (therefore no idea about distance but I caught it good) and had to play my provisional which I hit with 4-wood. Dag-nabbit. Once out in the fairway, I was very disappointed with the 17th hole. The only unfair hole on the course, imo. For such a long hole, the fairway narrows way too much for a longer hitter. Really demanding an unreasonbly precise drive if one would go with driver. Had I known the layout, no way would I have pulled driver.

Hole #18

Long Par-5 finisher at 590 yards which played well over 600 due to wind, way back tee placement, and back pin. Absolutely nuked the ML4 into the wind, 292 yards. My buddies freaked as the wind was a bit more than a breeze. While looking for my playing partner's ball right of the fairway, I was very annoyed to have found my tee shot on 17. It was about 15 yards longer than we'd guessed at its longest during our prior search. Lie was very good, too. I would have had a great look into the green. Oh, well...

My love affair with the ML4 continues. I'm always impressed with its forgiveness, explosiveness, and feel. As others have commented, the sound is very, very nice too. Yesterday's round marked the windiest day by far when I've played with the ML4. Yet with its highish ball-flight, my distances were great regardless of the wind's direction. Very satisfying if not more than a bit surprising.

So sold with this driver and and its present set-up, I've decided to reshaft my 9* ML4 with a Graphite Design MP702, stiff shaft. The PM702 is a high-flexpoint shaft and it's mighty sturdy with regard to its stated flex. Plays closer to an X-stiff imo than stiff.

I was going to reshaft the 9* with the same Pershing-65 that I have in my 10.5* but like I said, that club performed so well in the wind that I see no reason. Instead, with the different shaft altogether, I'm curious to see how the club plays. I'll get it into the shop on Tuesday so hopefully I'll have it back soon enough to get a report on it out there.

Last edited:
WMac sounds like your hitting it pretty good man. That's good to hear

Tap tap taparoo

Thanks, TH!

As an informational to those interested, I dropped off my 9* ML4 at the shop today. It's getting reshafted with a stiff Graphite Design PM702 shaft, 45" finished length, D3 swing-weight. I remember this shaft to be pretty sturdy, so no tipping this time.

Absolutely love my present set-up but the ML4 clubhead has me intrigued. I played the PM702 for a looooong time in a TM R7 425 TP and LOVED it. Can't wait to see how it performs in the Nicklaus head.

I love to see a fellow tinkerer WMac LOL

Good stuff!

I'll be out again tomorrow, jacked up to shake a weeks worth of rust off...nervous too! Updates tomorrow if I don't keel over in the 106 degree heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love to see a fellow tinkerer WMac LOL

Good stuff!

I'll be out again tomorrow, jacked up to shake a weeks worth of rust off...nervous too! Updates tomorrow if I don't keel over in the 106 degree heat.

Lol... I have to take the next necessary step in order to be a true tinkerer by learning to do my own work! The guys at the proshop love me, though. :wink: All I can do is regrip, one of these days I'll learn the rest.

I'll be playing again on Thursday but it looks like we'll be playing the same course which took driver out of my hands most of the day. So, it won't be an immersive test for the ML4 but it's one heckuva fun and challenging course.

Good stuff guys! Really good! As soon as I get better I'll be back at it.

ill be out tomorrow... hopefully, and sat!! cant wait as last time out i had 7 pars... even though i had 3 triples to go with hoping to break 85 soon

ill be out tomorrow... hopefully, and sat!! cant wait as last time out i had 7 pars... even though i had 3 triples to go with hoping to break 85 soon
Hey Matty, you turn those triples into bogey or pars and you'll be right there. Good luck to you. :)

I played Long Island National in Riverhead, NY again. Still pulled 4-wood or 7-wood many times but I went with driver 8 times today.

I hit 6/8 fairways but my two misses were very disappointing. User error, under pressure, pull hooks on 17 and 18. Dernit.

Hole #1

Par-4 427 yards. Hole doglegs slightly to the left but that's way out there. Perfect drive is straight-away. Wind was blowing pretty good into us. Nutted one right down the middle with a draw, 268 yards.

Hole #2

Par-4 457 yards. Huge fairway as it adjoins with hole #3's fairway to the left. Gentle turn to the right, slightly uphill. Wind at back and tried to crush it. Overswung, didn't hit it well but left/center of fairway and 262 yards.

Hole #3

Par-4, 403 yards. Plenty of room way left as this hole joins with hole #2. Hole gradually turns left from tee to green. Last week, this wasn't a driver hole for me as the wind was at our back and it's a bit downhill with trouble pinching in on both sides out about 280-290 yards.

Today, wind was at us and I crushed it left of center and straight for where the trouble creeps in from the left. 284 yards and just a foot short of the rough and a couple of yards short of tall fescue. Whew!

Hole #10

Par-5, 516 yards, straight-away hole, wind helping quite a bit. Even though I've been hitting the ball very long off the tee this year, I've struggled on many of my approaches into par-5's.

Slammed my tee shot. Bested my drive on this hole last week by 6 yards. 317 yards down the middle. Wind certainly helped and so did the ball kicking off a downslope. Last week I had 199 left to a front pin, this time I had 199 to the middle. The pin was back but my ball was on a pretty significant downslope to I took one less club and hoped to get carry and roll in the 200 yard range. Finally a good 2nd shot into a par-5. Striped 6-iron and ran it to the back of the green. Burned the edge on my 15' eagle putt, tapped in for bird.

Hole #15

Par-4, 389 yards. Wind died down a few holes into the back nine. It got HOT with the humidity. Straight-away hole which rises from tee-box to fairway and then descends to the green. Wouldn't normally be a driver hole for me but this is the same hole where I blew 4-wood right last week. Had been hitting driver very well, so I went with it. Dead down the middle, got some extra roll as the ball carried over the rise to the downslope. 304 yards. Birdie... woo-hoo!

Hole#16

Par-4, 466 yards. No wind again. Downhill hole demands either a drive left of center or a draw to a fairway that turns abruptly left. An overhanging tree left makes the tee shot a little dicey. Choked up a bit on the ML4 and hit it just left of center. 272 yards.

Hole #17

Par-4, 473 yards. Long, straight-ish hole playing longer into the freshened wind. Where I was very uncomfortable off the tee last week, this time I knew what to expect. Where I thought the fairway pinched in unfairly for the longer hitter, into the wind today it was less of a factor. I felt good over the ball but into the wind, I tried to crush it and hit a long hook into a fescue laden mound left of the fairway. For what it's worth, hit my provisional dead down the middle (GPS battery died, I had 212 to the flag in the center as per my buddy's laser) and low as I caught it a little low on the face. Found my first drive, good lie, still bogey'd the hole though.

Hole #18

Long Par-5 finisher at 590 yards, straight away. Good wind at back. Fairway bunker on the left which pinches the fairway in at 246 yards. Mounds with tall fescue right. Again, I swung too hard and hooked this one hard left. Re-tee'd provisional and hit an absolute bomb. It was an angry swing, an overswing, and I just happened to crush it. Couldn't find first drive, played provisional which ended up downhill in the narrowest part of the fairway.

Now, I couldn't mark this drive with my GPS since the battery died and I'm not saying that I hit my drive 340 yards but my ball rested with exactly 250 yards remaining to the pin as per my buddy's laser. Wind had freshened and was blowing pretty good, so it helped very much. The kick off of the downslope helped very much, rage fueled swing helped some too. One of my longest drives, ever. Felt incredible but too bad I was laying 3 in the fairway. Botched my next shot with fairway wood... what can you do?

After the round, we were making small talk with the pro. My buddies threw in how far I drove the ball on 18 and the pro looked at me incredulously saying, "I've heard of guys hitting it to that spot or a bit farther in qualifying tournaments but I've never seen it myself."

He asks to see my driver and does a double take when he views the brand and looks at me with more skepticism. "Let's go to the range," a buddy says. The pro laughs and says he's game if I'm game.

We get there and he tells us that he averages about 260-270 off the tee and tells us the general vicinity where he lands the ball at the range. My buddy, who hits it similarly, drives a couple of balls to where the pro declares it being the general area he also hits it to.

I tee it up and tell him that I'm gonna go after it like I did on 18 and how it's not my usual swing. I only swung once, didn't catch it perfectly but it was solid enough just the same albeit a bit toward the toe. Ball still took off.

"(Expletive)!" the pro says. "You would've just carried my ball by at least 30 yards. I'm a believer. Practice your short-game every day and punch a card somewhere with this game, would 'ya? What the hell are you waiting for?" Lol...

He was going out of his way to be nice about it, but it still felt great. :smile-big: Another LOL moment was when I said, "I don't think so... I'm 43, time's against me."

He looks at me for a few seconds, "you're probably right," he says. You look much younger, I thought you were in your early 30's... maybe you should just hit the bar here instead and talk about your monster drives." He winks and says, "but nobody will believe you."

Wise arse! Lol...

Last edited:
Haha, good stuff Wmac!!!

Well, my round was a bit lackluster so-to-speak. I shot an 83 I'm still not too happy with only because I went out with 36 putts...but...I digress.

My tee swing finally seemed to be coming back around by the end of the round but I really think I just need some good range time, that said, I still went 7/14 with the big stick and two of the "non FIR's" were literally 3 and 8 feet from the short grass, only one drive was unplayable...I'll take it.

Distance was mediocre until about the 15th when I seemingly started to groove my tee swing a bit once again. Averaged about 245-250 up until there and finished out 270, 270, 260...so...that made me feel better.

I come back, once again to forgiveness. My tee-swing has been off for about a month now but I'm still hitting plenty of fairways and doing enough to keep scores in the low 80's, that is 100% a testament to the ML4. Even though I have no confidence in my tee-swing right now, I still have confidence in the club, if that makes any sense at all.

Gonna get out again tomorrow!

Haha, good stuff Wmac!!!

Well, my round was a bit lackluster so-to-speak. I shot an 83 I'm still not too happy with only because I went out with 36 putts...but...I digress.

My tee swing finally seemed to be coming back around by the end of the round but I really think I just need some good range time, that said, I still went 7/14 with the big stick and two of the "non FIR's" were literally 3 and 8 feet from the short grass, only one drive was unplayable...I'll take it.

Distance was mediocre until about the 15th when I seemingly started to groove my tee swing a bit once again. Averaged about 245-250 up until there and finished out 270, 270, 260...so...that made me feel better.

Crazy game, isn't it? I went 38-46 for an 84 DESPITE 3 birdies on the back, 4 in total for the round. Feast or famine, I blew up on a few holes. 2 in the water on 13 finished with a quad... doubled 14, tripled 18. 9 strokes in three holes. Just, lost it. Brain-dead moments...

The ML4 is helping way more than it's hurting. Love it. Although I'm suffering way too many blow-ups, I really feel like I'm getting close. Not worried at all, it'll come together.

Way to clobber the ball on the back, Jman! :smile:

Glad to hear the ML4 is working so well for all you

Tap tap taparoo

Thanks, guys!

Well, my newly reshafted 9* ML4 was ready so I picked it up and headed to the range with my present ML4.

To recap, the 10.5* ML4 has a stiff Graphite Design Pershing-65 shaft, tipped 1" and built to a finished length of 45". Measured the swing-weight today to be sure and it's D3.

The 9* ML4 has a stiff Graphite Design PM702 shaft, tipped 1" and built to the same length and SW of the higher lofted Nicklaus.

After stretching and warming up plenty with wedges and irons, once ready I hit the 10.5* ML4 first. No surprises here, just as I've been hitting it. Long, high and most often with a draw. Misses are left. I can't give an exact distance as the range runs out an unknown distance past the 250 marker then up a small hill toward rail-road tracks. I'd also let my Trackman account expire. Doh!

Good shots were flying the 250 marker and the roll would either end at the base of the hill, make it halfway up, or a few trickled over the top.

Then I hit the 9* ML4. What first surprised me about this club was that the PM702 shaft actually felt smoother to me than the Pershing. Strange since I love the feel of the Pershing and I remember the feel of the PM702, one of which I still have in another driver (R7 425 TP), to feel harsher. Not so with this combo as the shaft felt very smooth in this clubhead.

I'm happy to say that the combination of the 9* clubhead and high-flexpoint shaft has dramatically lowered the trajectory. Flight is medium/low and very, very strong. Despite the much lower trajectory, I was getting some great carry. A bit shorter carry than the 10.5* but really not by too much at all. But as you could imagine, run-out was far greater. Good shots resulted with the ball flying the 250 yard marker and charging forward upon impact with the ground. Most good shots very easily and much more quickly climbed the hill with most shots making it to its top. Very consistent draw flight-pattern, and as with the 10.5*, misses were left. The lower lofted driver felt just as forgiving as the 10.5*. Misses seemed to be no more severe and hits toward the toe still got out there in a hurry.

From here, I'd alternated between the drivers hitting just a couple of shots with one before switching again. Results were similar and consistent with my above description.

There was a deluge in the area today but I'd gotten to the range beforehand when it was still dry. I'd be curious to see how much distance I'd lose in soggy conditions.

First sampling left me very impressed. If the 9* indeed proves to be longer for me that would be an unexpected bonus. I'm not looking for more distance, just in a perfect world I'd prefer a lower trajectory than the 10.5* along with, of course, equal or better control. Otherwise, no reason at all to even entertain the thought of changing, imo.

So, the 9* looks to be very promising. I may not get it to the course until mid to late next week... I'll have to wait & see.

Sounds really good WMac. I'll be very interested to read your results once you get back on the course. You might find yourself playing either driver depending on course/weather conditions.

BTW, made an error in the listed lengths of my ML4's. When I put the 9* in for reshafting, I'd requested 44.5" but expected not to be able to get my preferred SW of D3 w/o much manipulation at any less than 45". I double-checked SW at the shop but not length, the club is in fact D3 but I just realized that it's .5" shorter than my 10.5* which I'm sure is 45". Cool! I much prefer the shorter length. :smile-big:

Sounds really good WMac. I'll be very interested to read your results once you get back on the course. You might find yourself playing either driver depending on course/weather conditions.

Exactly my same thought, Sean. Although the PM702 felt a bit smoother than the Pershing, both clubs felt very similar throughout the swing. As per flex, how they load and unload, etc. Even though one's a high-flexpoint and the other mid, no distinguishable difference to me other than the resulting trajectory.

So I really think they will be interchangeable without my having to adjust to either.

Well, we're playing tomorrow and I'm putting the 9* ML4 into play. It's another course which is shorter than what I'm used to (Wind Watch, Happauge NY, 6,700 yards) so I'd expect my opportunities with driver to be limited somewhat. Still, looking forward to hitting it.

Got out for 18 today and played the 9* ML4 w/stiff Graphite Design PM702 shaft. No complete blow by blow report today as it was just TOO HOT and I was busy concentrating on survival rather than recording details. :wink: 92* and very high humidity, I was dripping wet already while on the first tee-box.

But I can say that I like the combo very, very much and it's in the bag. I enjoy very much the same feel as the Pershing shafted ML4 but with a much more desireable trajectory. Plus, it's very responsive to tee height so when I want a higher ball I just have to ratchet the tee up a bit.

Fought hooks at the range pre-round for the first couple of swings but quickly dialed it in. Right out of the gate on the course, the club shined. The first hole on Hamlet Wind Watch is a short but narrow and significantly downhill par-5, 475 yards. Plays much shorter. Now, the tee is pretty elevated and a 5 to 7 mph breeze was helping. I crushed it. I had ONLY 140 YARDS REMAINING. I couldn't believe it as I didn't swing hard. I was firm through the ball but I was more interested in finding the fairway.

Sadly, as great as the drive was, my next swing would signify how the rest of my day would go. 140 in to a par-5 and I prompty duffed the ball right. Chunked the next one into a bunker, left the bunker shot short on the lip. Bad lie, chipped to 12', two-putted for a double-bogey.

One swing to go 335 yards, 6 more to go 140. Unreal. I didn't find my irons and wedge swing until deep into the back nine, way too late to salvage the round, but just in time to save my sanity.

Second hole is a short par-4, 308 yards to the pin with water pinching in a bit short and right. Angry at the first hole, I pulled driver. Landed it on the front portion of the green and it rolled to the back fringe. Chipped to 1', birdie. That would be my last scoring highlight of the day. Lol...

I missed four fairways with the ML4. Two of them were horrible swings where I inexplicably squeezed and held on through impact. Ugly pushes. One was playable, the other was OB. Fwiw, 3 from the tee after the OB shot was a bomb right of center. Another fairway miss was just an overcooked draw, playable with good distance, parred the hole.

But one miss was an awesome shot, or I thought so at least, but a penalty nonetheless. I believe it was #7, a short 338 yard par-4. Plenty of fairway left, water right and crossing in front of roughly half of the green from the right side. Pin was placed behind said water. Smart play would be 7-wood or iron to the fairway but I was feeling SO GOOD with driver.

My buddy lasered the rocks lining the water at the far bank climbing to the green, it was 294 yards. Tee'd it up and caught it pretty darn good. Started over the water with my typical draw but then it straightened out heading right for the hole. A buddy says at this time, "no freakin' fair!" as he thought I'd reached. Splashed into the water at a point where my buddies estimated carry to have been 285 yards. If only it kept drawing... only had to turn left another 2 yards or so to stay dry. Incidentally, on #2 from my ball-mark on the green back to the tee marker, the laser indicated 287 yards. So that appears to be my limit as far as carry because I caught them both very solidly.

I was 8/12 on the day with the ML4. Wind Watch is a shorter course than I usually play but I found myself more confident in pulling driver when I did. Save for the shorter par-4 #7 where I hit it into the water, my other missed fairways were actually on longer, more generous fairways. On the tighter holes, I was actually very precise with the ML4. Left me wondering if it was just coincidence or if I allowed my concentration to wane a bit. Two of the swings were off the wall horrible, so who knows?

My length is aided in no small measure by my switch to the B330 ball. I've easily gained 10-15 or more yards with this ball. When we've had the luxury of time, I've tee'd up Pentas, Pro-V1X's, and my old standby, the TP Red LDP. With the 10.5* ML4 or the 9*, the extra distance with the B330 is evident as solidly struck shots with the other balls simply don't measure up. LOVE the ball, just hate my inconsistency at the moment.

I've found that distance with the 2010 B330 vs the 2011 version is very, very close. Maybe a slight edge to the newer ball. But I've found the older ball to be a bit straighter. I prefer the new ball with irons, wedges, and putting, though. Probably due to the lower compression.

Great stuff as usual Wmac!

The B330 is a GREAT ball for sure.

Bad swings happen no matter what in the game fro time to time, two isn't a bad number. I am with you on the confidence of pulling driver more often now and feeling like you can be more precise, I feel the same thing, even when my swing was out of wack entirely I was still confident.

You make me want to try a 9* head eventually though lol, and that would be jacking with putter money...a no-no! LOL

Good good stuff.

Great stuff as usual Wmac!

The B330 is a GREAT ball for sure.

Bad swings happen no matter what in the game fro time to time, two isn't a bad number. I am with you on the confidence of pulling driver more often now and feeling like you can be more precise, I feel the same thing, even when my swing was out of wack entirely I was still confident.

You make me want to try a 9* head eventually though lol, and that would be jacking with putter money...a no-no! LOL

Good good stuff.

Thanks, Jman!

What I REALLY like about the B330 is that on my best swings with driver, I'll get some truly explosive distance from time to time. Yet with irons and wedges, the ball is very consistent, no such anomalies.

As for the 9*, when you can justify trying it, I'd have to recommend it. I didn't tell my buddies I'd switched clubs today. They knew I was getting a 9* reshafted but I didn't tell them I was playing it yet. Both have the same grip, both are black shafts only the Pershing has a silver band and the PM702 is all black (very dark gray, actually). Figured they probably wouldn't notice, at least not right away.

After maybe my fourth or fifth drive with the 9*, my buddy Fred grabs the club on the tee-box for close inspection. "Son of a &%#@" he says. "You switched... I thought the other club was a perfect fit but this is the club for you, great flight."

Hopefully the honeymoon lasts... :smile:

Thanks, Jman!

What I REALLY like about the B330 is that on my best swings with driver, I'll get some truly explosive distance from time to time. Yet with irons and wedges, the ball is very consistent, no such anomalies.

As for the 9*, when you can justify trying it, I'd have to recommend it. I didn't tell my buddies I'd switched clubs today. They knew I was getting a 9* reshafted but I didn't tell them I was playing it yet. Both have the same grip, both are black shafts only the Pershing has a silver band and the PM702 is all black (very dark gray, actually). Figured they probably wouldn't notice, at least not right away.

After maybe my fourth or fifth drive with the 9*, my buddy Fred grabs the club on the tee-box for close inspection. "Son of a &%#@" he says. "You switched... I thought the other club was a perfect fit but this is the club for you, great flight."

Hopefully the honeymoon lasts... :smile:

Haha, thats funny. I'm just too in love with the 10.5* right now. I know I've said it a hundered-million times but it oozes confidence for me.

Back