Overland Park, KS Area

Slider

Reaction score
Handicap
Will be coming in tonight and playing tomorrow and Sunday.

I'm scheduled to play on Deer Creek and Ironhorse.

Anyone have any info on these places and what they think?

I would love to hear what you thought of Ironhorse. I have probably played there about 15 times and I absolutely love it. Let me know what you thought Slider.

Deer Creek was a nice track. Well maintained, greens ran true, but slower than what I am use to. They like to line the fairways with trees and you can have some tighter driving holes.

Ironhorse was absolutely great! I wish the greens were a little more consistent. I saw different speeds on different greens I thought. I played from the tips and loved how I had to think about my tee shots and what club to hit. It's not a course that you can take driver every hole and go about it that way. With their yardage book its easy to plan your shots a head of them, which is probably why I shot a 77 over there.

Great shape and would go there again for sure.

Deer Creek was a nice track. Well maintained, greens ran true, but slower than what I am use to. They like to line the fairways with trees and you can have some tighter driving holes.

Ironhorse was absolutely great! I wish the greens were a little more consistent. I saw different speeds on different greens I thought. I played from the tips and loved how I had to think about my tee shots and what club to hit. It's not a course that you can take driver every hole and go about it that way. With their yardage book its easy to plan your shots a head of them, which is probably why I shot a 77 over there.

Great shape and would go there again for sure.

I have not played Deer Creek yet, but I am glad you liked Ironhorse. It is one of my favorite courses in the KC area, but I agree the green speeds are somewhat inconsistent for sure.

Glad you enjoyed the courses. I haven't played either yet, but Deer Creek is a sister course to where Jacqui works, so we will be playing it later this summer.

Thanks for the follow-up. Living in the KC area I've played both courses a few times. I agree that Ironhorse is the better of the two. I think the greens there are still maturing. I'm still a little new to the area, but it's my understanding they lost their greens a couple of years ago and basically had to start from scratch. What I like about Ironhorse is that most holes put a premium on placement as opposed to distance. #11 and #15 are just two good examples. If you ever get back to the KC area don't hesitate to contact me. I get guest passes with my membership (Winterstone GC), and would be happy to use them on a fellow THP'er.

Thanks for the follow-up. Living in the KC area I've played both courses a few times. I agree that Ironhorse is the better of the two. I think the greens there are still maturing. I'm still a little new to the area, but it's my understanding they lost their greens a couple of years ago and basically had to start from scratch. What I like about Ironhorse is that most holes put a premium on placement as opposed to distance. #11 and #15 are just two good examples. If you ever get back to the KC area don't hesitate to contact me. I get guest passes with my membership (Winterstone GC), and would be happy to use them on a fellow THP'er.

MU the part about Ironhorse is true with their greens. I have been living in KC for 3 years now and love playing Ironhorse.

Anyone from the area played Adams Pointe? I am playing tomorrow with a friend of mine.

Anyone from the area played Adams Pointe? I am playing tomorrow with a friend of mine.

I played it a few years ago during a scramble from a former employer. It was a good course and was in great shape (scramble was in early June). It is located in Blue Spring, not really Overland Park. It was a good course, hopefully it still is in the same shape.

I get guest passes with my membership (Winterstone GC), and would be happy to use them on a fellow THP'er.

My wife and I are moving back to KC for a job she took. How do you like Winterstone? We are contemplating joining a club, but havent been able to check any of them out yet. We wont be moving until this winter, but I cant wait. I loved my previous years in KC and cant wait to get back. Lots of great golf in KC.

I played it a few years ago during a scramble from a former employer. It was a good course and was in great shape (scramble was in early June). It is located in Blue Spring, not really Overland Park. It was a good course, hopefully it still is in the same shape.

Thanks, I know it isn't in OP, but I really didnt want to make a thread just for this. Thanks!

I played Adams Pointe the year after it opened and don't remember much about it. MO_Hacker played league out there a couple years ago and liked it.

I played Adams Pointe the year after it opened and don't remember much about it. MO_Hacker played league out there a couple years ago and liked it.

Thanks SV,

Ill let you know what I think about it when I am done playing.

I've played both of those a few times on some spring golf outings "down south". I thought they were similar but Deer Creek was my preference out of the two. We played in the spring with the overseeded fairways and slower than average greens but I liked the layouts of both for the most part. We've played some nicer courses there and a couple not as nice.

I've played both of those a few times on some spring golf outings "down south". I thought they were similar but Deer Creek was my preference out of the two. We played in the spring with the overseeded fairways and slower than average greens but I liked the layouts of both for the most part. We've played some nicer courses there and a couple not as nice.

Did you get a chance to play Adams Pointe? I am assuming you were referring to Ironhorse and Deer Creek with your post

Adams Pointe is interesting. I don't remember, but I think the fairways are Bermuda. The layout isn't too bad but it's been almost 10 years since I played so I don't remember much except that I played one of my worst rounds ever there. Think I went through 18 or so balls.

Dubbledxu, what part of town are you moving into?

I played Adams Pointe a couple of weeks ago. Course was in overall good condition. With all the rain we've been getting lately, would expect that if anything it's even in better shape.

It's not one of my favorites, but I think you'll enjoy it. Pretty easy course to score on. You may get squeezed a bit on a few holes - #5 #6 come to mind - but overall it's a nice track.

I'd be curious to hear what you think of it after you've played.

I played Adams Pointe a couple of weeks ago. Course was in overall good condition. With all the rain we've been getting lately, would expect that if anything it's even in better shape.

It's not one of my favorites, but I think you'll enjoy it. Pretty easy course to score on. You may get squeezed a bit on a few holes - #5 #6 come to mind - but overall it's a nice track.

I'd be curious to hear what you think of it after you've played.

MU ill keep you updated. We should try and go out and play a round sometime

Tap tap taparoo

Dubbledxu,

We moved to Independence a little more than two years ago. I've been a member at Winterstone since July, 2009. It's a good, but challenging course. There are many good choices in the area. I chose Winterstone mainly because we live a mile away, but there are at least 10 courses twenty minutes from our house. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to go out and play Winterstone some time. My membership comes with guest passes, and there'd be no better way to use one than on someone moving into the area. Also feel free to ask questions about other local courses. So far I've played the following: Creekmoor, Loch Loyd, Indian Hills, Mission Hills, Royal Meadows, Falcon Ridge, Ironhorse, Deer Creek, Adams Pointe, Tiffany Greens, Liberty Hills, Stone Canyon, Drumm Farm, Shoal Creek, Bent Oak, Sycamore Ridge, Prairie Highlands & Winterstone.

I really enjoyed Adams pointe. The greens were in phenomenal shape. Playing swope again later this week with the new balls

Tap tap taparoo

Been a while since I played Swope. Talk about a variety of lies! Not too many level ones.

Dubbledxu,

We moved to Independence a little more than two years ago. I've been a member at Winterstone since July, 2009. It's a good, but challenging course. There are many good choices in the area. I chose Winterstone mainly because we live a mile away, but there are at least 10 courses twenty minutes from our house. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to go out and play Winterstone some time. My membership comes with guest passes, and there'd be no better way to use one than on someone moving into the area. Also feel free to ask questions about other local courses. So far I've played the following: Creekmoor, Loch Loyd, Indian Hills, Mission Hills, Royal Meadows, Falcon Ridge, Ironhorse, Deer Creek, Adams Pointe, Tiffany Greens, Liberty Hills, Stone Canyon, Drumm Farm, Shoal Creek, Bent Oak, Sycamore Ridge, Prairie Highlands & Winterstone.

I had been thinking about joining Liberty Hills next year so the wife could have access to a pool since she doesn't play golf. But, based on it's price, I'm still a few years out from joining there. I've only played 3 courses on this list, but it has many that I've been wanting to play for many years.

Been a while since I played Swope. Talk about a variety of lies! Not too many level ones.

I love Swope, but haven't been there in many years.

Back