Miura: How About These Beauties?

Too much money, too much club for me. I was going to say they are gorgeous, but to me most brand new sets are.

Oh yeah, hey One T... I think you need more stuff in your signature :D

I think you answered your own question.....it's a luxury item

I find it interesting people get so wrapped in the price of these. They are obviously a luxury item, but no different from a high end watch or a sports car, and we focus more on those from a quality perspective rather price. Why are these clubs different?

If you guys think these are expensive go check Epon and Vega.

These are too expensive at half the price to me. Don't need to check the other two!

I find it interesting people get so wrapped in the price of these. They are obviously a luxury item, but no different from a high end watch or a sports car, and we focus more on those from a quality perspective rather price. Why are these clubs different?

Ripper they are a luxury item, but different from a car in the sense that I know a lot of people who could afford these clubs, but wont buy them because $275 a club for performance that cant be any better than Titleist or some of the other great blade-makers. These same people are driving Porsches, Range Rovers, etc and wearing rolexes.

I think you answered your own question.....it's a luxury item

I dont understand..If we all know its a luxury item, why are we so shocked and caught up in the price?

reality is the enemy of luxury.

the grass always looks greener and better on the other side until you have to cut it.....

I dont understand..If we all know its a luxury item, why are we so shocked and caught up in the price?

Don't think anyone is shocked by the price as most know Miura is high dollar, but a lot of us think it's a ridiculous price for us to pay for clubs in general.

I can relate it to Cigars, we sell a $36 Davidoff at the shop, based solely on the name. It's no better than some of the $8 cigars we sell and most(if not all) of the people who buy the $36 cigar do so as a status thing, we call them "band smokers" as it's all about the label/status to them.

Bottom line, many of us are in the "why pay a ridiculous price when I can get something that works better for me for a fraction of the price" mentality.

I'd buy those in a second!!! If you dropped the 2 off the front of the price

They look really good though

My Adams irons are the same color...didn't cost as much though. Miura makes some great equipment, but their prices are very high, like all JDM stuff.

Don't think anyone is shocked by the price as most know Miura is high dollar, but a lot of us think it's a ridiculous price for us to pay for clubs in general.

I can relate it to Cigars, we sell a $36 Davidoff at the shop, based solely on the name. It's no better than some of the $8 cigars we sell and most(if not all) of the people who buy the $36 cigar do so as a status thing, we call them "band smokers" as it's all about the label/status to them.

Bottom line, many of us are in the "why pay a ridiculous price when I can get something that works better for me for a fraction of the price" mentality.

Yes, I agree with you, and I am in that same group, I wouldnt pay. However, we are clearly not the market Miura is targeting, they are after the people status people. As such, the clubs should be judged with that in mind from the outset, making the price a non issue and the quality and functionality the main focus.

At $2,200 for a set of 8 I'd have to case them and hang them on the wall as art.

If you can theoretically purchase a working used car for the same price as your irons, they might cost more than they are actually worth...

But they sho' am pretty.

Nothing that expensive is pretty. Why would you ever want to hit them, would you be afraid to scratch them up?

I don't know what I think about the black finish. If I was good enough to hit blades, I would most definately play them, I wouldn't buy them but I sure would play them.

Quick question for all of the golfers out there.
Why is $275 per iron too expensive, yet $399 for a driver is not, nor is $299 for a putter? Honest question here?

I would not pay that much for irons either, nor do I choose to play irons that are this style. But is the price per club too high because a set is being purchased? Is it because its considered an "exotic" set? Im pretty curious here. Could it be that it leads back in some ways to marketing?

We as consumers believe that the $399 driver is the best thing for us and the $299 putter "feels" better, and yet irons can be had that "feel" great from major companies for less than half of that.

I'm not sure i 100% agree with this statement. While there are plenty of good cheaper cigars, I feel that the quality and standard of consistency within Davidoff are worth it. Having said that I've spent more money on much more rare & older cigars than Davidoffs. I do have my staple of less expensive cigars but in the end they all go up in smoke. I do agree with the "Band Smoker" label but for everyone, I think it's not a fair statement. This however is one of those debates that will never end due to taste being subjective along with experience.

Yes, I agree with you, and I am in that same group, I wouldnt pay. However, we are clearly not the market Miura is targeting, they are after the people status people. As such, the clubs should be judged with that in mind from the outset, making the price a non issue and the quality and functionality the main focus.

They definitely are appealing to that small percentage of players who can afford it. I guess it all depends on where you are in the tax bracket. :)

Why is $275 per iron too expensive, yet $399 for a driver is not, nor is $299 for a putter? Honest question here?

I would not pay that much for irons either, nor do I choose to play irons that are this style. But is the price per club too high because a set is being purchased? Is it because its considered an "exotic" set? Im pretty curious here. Could it be that it leads back in some ways to marketing?

We as consumers believe that the $399 driver is the best thing for us and the $299 putter "feels" better, and yet irons can be had that "feel" great from major companies for less than half of that.

$300 is more available as disposable income than $2,500. Simply that. If I had the coin and the game, I would most definately look at a set of Miura irons.

I look at a set irons as one and those others (putter, driver) as individual clubs.

I just don't get what's so great looking about these clubs. They look like a lot of other blades.

I honestly don't think the set is outrageously priced. This is in my mind considering that retail and actual purchase price being two very different things. I know the R11 is $400 but there are plenty of places to get them closer to $250-$275 range. So if an iron set is $2000 I'm sure there are places to get them at closer to $1200 which isn't considered outrageous but a bit higher priced than normal. I would also realize that I only have the 5-pw+sw in use from my original set so it'll also save me a few $ to pick up 2 maybe 3 less clubs.

If you consider how much we (I) spend on tinkering with shafts, club heads, grips, swing evaluations, fittings and rounds of golf I'm sure I could cut back and eventually pick up a set but it's not my cup of tea.

We all justify things differently. I'll pay $5 for a stupid frappuccino that is what 16oz but complain about gas being $3.71 a gallon or my morning iced coffee going from $1.07 to $1.50 or steak being $8/lbs.

Would you cut back on $2-$4 coffee a day and $40 on eating out for lunch a week for 4 months to buy them? Yes/No? OK how about if you just traded/sold all your gear or extra gear since we do have multiples sometimes and kept the essentials (bag, driver, hybrids, putter) to pick these up for less than 1/4 of the price.

And that is why I can say I wouldn't pay that much for them

I'm not sure i 100% agree with this statement. While there are plenty of good cheaper cigars, I feel that the quality and standard of consistency within Davidoff are worth it. Having said that I've spent more money on much more rare & older cigars than Davidoffs. I do have my staple of less expensive cigars but in the end they all go up in smoke. I do agree with the "Band Smoker" label but for everyone, I think it's not a fair statement. This however is one of those debates that will never end due to taste being subjective along with experience.
It was a generalization and that is why I said at the end "Bottom line, many of us are in the "why pay a ridiculous price when I can get something that works better for me for a fraction of the price" mentality."

They definitely are appealing to that small percentage of players who can afford it. I guess it all depends on where you are in the tax bracket. :)
But at the same time just because you can afford these irons it doesn't mean they are "right" for your game. Just like my example, just because you can afford a $36 Davidoff cigar does it mean you will like it.

I wouldn't pay that much for a driver or a putter either.

That's a fair question and I thought about that prior to your asking it. The best I could come up with is I only need one driver and one putter, but I do need more irons. That said, I'd be very reluctant to spend $399 on a driver or $299 on a putter knowing what I know now. Also, a $275 forged iron isn't going to feel any different than my Adams cast iron.

Not that I would personally spend the $2K but I would imagine that you don't just walk into a store and buy Miura's off the rack. You'd probable work w/ a master club maker and go through a very through fitting. In a few weeks you come back and pick up your custom made set of irons. Their is probable a whole "experience" when you purchase this high end luxury good.

Not that I would personally spend the $2K but I would imagine that you don't just walk into a store and buy Miura's off the rack. You'd probable work w/ a master club maker and go through a very through fitting. In a few weeks you come back and pick up your custom made set of irons. Their is probable a whole "experience" when you purchase this high end luxury good.

that's a really good point Stephen. Most luxury items don't just get bought without some sort of high end experience.

Back