Griff

Hey Man, Nice Shot
Reaction score
Handicap
Who else out there enjoys a good board game? Once a month some friends and I get together and have a late night of beer and board games. Dominion (not a board game per se) is our next session. We keep trying Descent, but there are some game mechanics that are a bit broken. Keep in mind we are not typical players. We've all beta tested stuff and have done well in competition when we could get together more often. Wrath of Ashardalon was great fun.

Yes, the nerd in me runs deep! However, a lot of board games are fantastic for everyone.

Well I used to play a weekly game of Risk with about 8 other guys. Played for a while and walked away undefeated. I had an uncanny ability to get people to do what I wanted them to do. Plus no one ever wanted to start in Australia which is the best starting position in the game!

The last board game I played was Khet.

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/khet-laser-game-2.cfm

khet-laser-game.jpg

Khet is like Chess but with frickin' lasers. Seriously. This awesome Egyptian-themed strategy game uses real lasers (don't worry, they're eye safe) as your mechanism for capturing your opponent's pieces.

On each turn, you can rotate or move one of your pieces to improve the path of your laser. The keys to your strategy are the mirrored pieces which deflect the laser at 90-degree angles. Use both your opponent's and your own mirrored pieces to hit their Pharaoh and win the game!

I love a good board game. Risk is definitely one of my favorites (Australia ftw!), and all the other classics: Monopoly, Scrabble, Yahtzee, and so on.
Nowadays I like to play the iPhone app version of these while waiting for stuff.

I LOVE BOARD GAMES! I haven't played in quite some time though, but Monopoly was my all time fave. LIFE and the likes were runner up for sure. My wife REFUSES to play board games so I haven't partaken in quite some time. :(

I love board games! My favorites are the strategy games like Risk where you really have to think and plan and scheme throughout the entire game.

A good one to play is Puerto Rico... easy to understand, difficult to master, flexibility needed as the game progresses, and best of all it is not time consuming! (Monopoly ends up being a big turnoff when it keeps going for hours on end and no one wants to make a trade)

Speaking of Monopoly if that's more up your alley, try Acquire instead. Much better real estate property game IMO and once again not as time consuming as Monopoly.

I used to play a lot of monopoly and life. Me and some buddies would always have a few beers and play. One time my buddy won a game of monopoly between 4 people in about 45 mins to an hour bad trading on my part.

I play chess and Go quite often.

I still play monopoly from time to time. Great game

Tap tap taparoo

I like a good game of Risk as much as any other person. I have to be with the right people for Monopoly though, it gets on my nerves when people start messing about and not concentrating on a game.

Well I used to play a weekly game of Risk with about 8 other guys. Played for a while and walked away undefeated. I had an uncanny ability to get people to do what I wanted them to do. Plus no one ever wanted to start in Australia which is the best starting position in the game!

RISK is a kick ass game!

Enjoy Scrabble very much. Yahtzee is a good one and possibly a few of my favorites are Candy Land and Chutes & Ladders.

I LOVE BOARD GAMES! I haven't played in quite some time though, but Monopoly was my all time fave. LIFE and the likes were runner up for sure. My wife REFUSES to play board games so I haven't partaken in quite some time. :(

+1, except my wife used to play scrabble with me quite often, on the other hand, she is absolutely awful at card games and refuses to even try to learn any.

Yahtzee is one that never gets old....even though I suck

Mexican Train and Chicken Foot Dominoes all the way!!!

Enjoy Scrabble very much. Yahtzee is a good one and possibly a few of my favorites are Candy Land and Chutes & Ladders.

Scrabble is the only board game we play much anymore. When my family flew up last month for my son's HS graduation, we held a Scrabble mini-tourney, with two boards going at the same time.

Mexican Train and Chicken Foot Dominoes all the way!!!

My wife and I play MT often, but usually only with friends. It's part of our twice-yearly beach trip with three other couples where we'll listen to oldies (well, 80s and 90s tunes), have some adult beverages and play MT until the wee hours. Yeah, we get wild and crazy! :banana:

My wife and I play MT often, but usually only with friends. It's part of our twice-yearly beach trip with three other couples where we'll listen to oldies (well, 80s and 90s tunes), have some adult beverages and play MT until the wee hours. Yeah, we get wild and crazy! :banana:

Yeah MT takes a long time to play if you play all the way through, we usually play about 5 or 6 rounds before we get too tired to keep playing! Now we play it on our iphones and ipads. Oh good old technology!

I play a mean game of chutes and ladders! Played in a charity event at the local kindergarten and walked away undefeated. :joy:

I love board games! My favorites are the strategy games like Risk where you really have to think and plan and scheme throughout the entire game.

A good one to play is Puerto Rico... easy to understand, difficult to master, flexibility needed as the game progresses, and best of all it is not time consuming! (Monopoly ends up being a big turnoff when it keeps going for hours on end and no one wants to make a trade)

Speaking of Monopoly if that's more up your alley, try Acquire instead. Much better real estate property game IMO and once again not as time consuming as Monopoly.

Puerto Rico is a great game.

I'll have to post our rules to Nuclear Risk (uses normal risk game and playing cards). If the game takes an hour it is a long game.

Another really fun game is Formula De. http://www.amazon.com/Eurogames-Descartes-FOR-Formula-De/dp/B00068NFI0

Settlers of Cataan is pretty fun also.

The original Civilization (from Avalon Hill) was a great game if you had a day or two to play it through.

Chess, Backgammon, and Dominoes!
I live in Indiana so card games like Euchre, Spades, and Canasta take precedents.

i prefer trivia or fun ones: strategy doesnt go over well with the signifcant others

cranium is tons of fun

Settlers and Munchkin get the most play but lots of others get in the rotation (Citadels, Carcassonne, Blokus, etc)

Settlers and Munchkin get the most play but lots of others get in the rotation (Citadels, Carcassonne, Blokus, etc)

I JUST discovered this one and bought it for my Iphone. $10 was a steep price but well worth the price, highly recommended

Anyone into Scotland Yard? I've been considering buying it lately, it sounds sweet.

Back