Mohawks, THP, and the "C" word

Well, today is the day! Milissa has her last chemo treatment. She has to get fluids tomorrrow and Wednesday and then her pick line can be removed. A pick line is a valve that is inserted into a vien in her arm and it runs up to a main artery. The valve has been hanging out of her left arm for 13 weeks. She is super excited to get it out. It requires twice a day cleaning that either her Mom or myself have been trained to do, so we are excited for her as well. I know this is getting a little redundant, but thanks to everyone on THP for the support. It has been very helpful for me to put my thoughts into words and it has allowed me to vent. Cancer is a terrible thing to go through, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. There is a very good chance this will never come back, but you never know. She will have blood tests every two weeks for the next few months and then once a month until the 1 year mark. If there is no trace after 1 year, there is basically no chance for it to come back at that point. So June 2012 we will be in the clear. As for children, our chances have been significantly lessened by this course of treatments. They are not out out of the question, but our percentages are far less than a normal couple. God willing, we will one day have a child. If not, he has a better plan for us. :mohawk:

tomahawk, I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I have really been touched by your and your wife's experience and keep you guys in our prayers. I am so happy to have had the chance to meet you and I can't wait to meet up with you on Saturday. What an exciting day! Congrats! and lets hope this thing stays away for good!

Thanks for sharing! I wish your wife a full recovery, I love hearing stories of people doing stuff like this to support someone who is losing their hair. I think it really does make them feel loved and supported.

tomahawk, I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I have really been touched by your and your wife's experience and keep you guys in our prayers. I am so happy to have had the chance to meet you and I can't wait to meet up with you on Saturday. What an exciting day! Congrats! and lets hope this thing stays away for good!
Thanks Teeth. Saturday will be a celebration of sorts. It has been a long haul, and taking a golf trip like this will allow for a bit of a new start. Milissa is going to be with her family all weekend, and she is looking forward to that as well.

Thanks for sharing! I wish your wife a full recovery, I love hearing stories of people doing stuff like this to support someone who is losing their hair. I think it really does make them feel loved and supported.

I agree. The crazy hair has brought a smile to her face many times!

UPDATE... Milissa is doing great, had a 3rd blood test yesterday and she is still at 0, right where she should be. She is back to work and our life has normalized. Today, I shaved the mohawk! I am as close to bald as possible right now. Next phase of this process, we are going to grow our hair back together. This has been quite a ride and I thank you all for giving me an ear on occasion to vent and tell our story. This one looks to have a happy ending. :mohawk:

UPDATE... Milissa is doing great, had a 3rd blood test yesterday and she is still at 0, right where she should be. She is back to work and our life has normalized. Today, I shaved the mohawk! I am as close to bald as possible right now. Next phase of this process, we are going to grow our hair back together. This has been quite a ride and I thank you all for giving me an ear on occasion to vent and tell our story. This one looks to have a happy ending. :mohawk:

Answered prayers, so glad to hear this tomahawk. Give Milissa an extra hug today from us at THP.

Happy for you and your wife :thumb:

That's fantastic... I hope the hair grows back really fast.....

That is so great to hear! I have to say I will miss seeing the Mohawk. I don't know if I will even recognize you next time we tee it up.

Great news Tomahawk, I have not posted much here but I have been following the thread and am glad things are looking good for you and Milissa

Awesome to hear the good news from the test today, thanks for the update

That is so great to hear that she is doing good! Now that you have shaved your head we need a pic of that.

I am happy to hear that your wife is doing well. The love and committment that you have displayed throughout this process is truly inspiring. Congatulations to you both!

Fantastic news! Congrats on the great update! Have fun growing your hair back together. I really liked the 'hawk.

Just read through the whole thread. First of all I love what you and your group did with shaving your heads. I did it for a fundraiser last September and it was one of the coolest things to had a young boy with cancer shave my head to look like his. The look on his face afterwards was awesome. Second, that's awesome news!! Prayers for good news to keep coming and for normalcy returning to your lives!!

Here I am bald. Self portraits suck. I look pissed. HAHA

bald.jpg

So great to hear that your wife is on the mend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and her.

that's fantastic news! I'm glad it has a happy ending:joy:

This is GREAT NEWS!!! I am so happy for both of you!

Thanks everyone. THP has been a great outlet for me throughout this. This site is like a big nationwide family! :joy:

Thats great news right there. Congrats!

Thank for sharing a bit of your life with us. I know this can't be an easy time for your wife or you. Keep up the fight and you will be in our prayers. BTW the Mohawk looks great!!!

Edit: Just saw the couple of post, glad to hear!!

Last edited:
Quick update for the THP fam! Milissa had a two month check up yesterday and all tests came back clean! We are going on 6 months cancer free. Needless to say, very happy! Just over 6 months to go and she will officially have the all clear at the end of May 2012. Things are looking good and the Dr's are confident that this is behind us.

Back