I actually need to create some range strategies. I almost always start with the TS, but then I work my way through the whole bag without really concentrating on any one thing. That could be caused by the amount of work that my entire bag needs LOL! I guess I need to make a firm decision on what to work on, and then ONLY work on that.

When I get time for the range, I usually try to focus on a sub-set of clubs. Driver & FWs, Hybrids thru 6, etc. I don't have a training aid that I take with me at the moment, though I am looking into the Tour Striker. Oh, and I always take some distance based shots with my wedges at the end. Now if I could only work in more time for the range...

Once again I started my warm up session with my TS Pro. It puts my swing in a nice groove that just carries over to my round.
I mean this club makes you stay down and through on every shot. There is no faking it with this club. No if they could make a TS driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with md and the rest of the posters. Lessons over training aids. The TS is a good tool to help a person hit down on the ball and for better ball striking. But, a pro will be able to detect and correct swing flaws that a TS cannot.

Anyway, I went to the range yesterday. I took my TS, PW, 9i & 8i. I started out with my TS for about 10 balls. The first 2 were worm burners. I adjusted my grip a little stronger and I kept my right elbow close on my downswing. The results were excellent. I hit about 3 balls at a height of 30'. The next 5 were my regular 8i height! It felt great. I then started with my PW for about 5-7 shots. Very good results in height and direction. My 9i was also getting great height and distance. I hit a few more with my TS. Then, I hit my 8i. Again, excellent shots. I hit about 10 balls with each of my clubs. I was very happy with my session.

Next time, I'll take my TS, 8i, 7i & 6i. I'll follow the same pattern. Hitting my TS first, then my irons, interspersed with hitting 4-5 balls with my TS.

On the course I'm finding that the CG15 SW & LW are really flying very well for me. Higher flight and softer landings, with a little back-ups or 1 hop and stop!

I'm hoping that these sessions can help my mid and long irons as they have my wedges and low irons. I need my 150-190 yard par 3s to be as good as my 130 and closer shots!

The saga continues......

Finally got my TS Pro 7i and had it bent upright 2 degrees to match my current 7i. Took it to the range today for the first time to learn how to hit down on the ball and loose my scooping left wrist.
Learned real quick that there is 0% forgiveness with this club. After about 6 worm burners I dialed it back a few notches and started hitting half shots like my instructor had me doing at my first lesson.
Much better results. I started concentrating on "knuckles down" with my left hand at impact and started hitting some really nice shots with the TS. Also was getting more distance than normal.
Switched over to regular 7i and hit the first few fat. I was trying to kill the ball and had tightened up in my grip and arms. Focused on an easy swing and knuckles down and started hitting nice shots with the same style as the TS.
Kept switching back and forth between the two. It would take a couple of balls to get used to the different club when I would switch it seemed. Was also a bit odd to look down at the tiny TS face compared to my normal 7i face.
By the end of the session I felt much more comfortable hitting the TS. I have big hopes this training club will be just what I need to lose my scooping tendency. Only time, and lots more range sessions, will tell...

Excellent start tdinbr. The TS does translate to better and free regular iron shots. I incorporate the TS on all my iron range sessions. Better ball striking and hitting down on the ball are my goals. I'm going to try the feet together with my next range session, also.

Funny you should ask. I decided to go back to the range today to continue my Tour Striker Pro (TSP) training. Today was a completely different experience. Knowing what the TSP requires for good shots I began by hitting two very nice mid trajectory draws that went much further than my regular 7 iron distance. As if to bring me back to reality, the next two shots were grounders. If I didn’t mention it last time, the TSP will always result in toppers or grounders unless you apply the proper technique.

As I continued to practice, the shots went back to being nice...really nice, actually. I hit the ball pretty well before, but rarely like this. While the shot shape is pretty much the same, the distance and trajectory are the difference with the TSP. The well struck shots with the TSP resulted in a more penetrating ball flight (a much over used term, but it really applies here). This is clearly attributable to better ball compression.

One thing that I should mention is that in my humble opinion the TSP will best benefit a golfer that already has the concepts of path and plane worked out. The club is hard enough to hit without wrestling with too many other swing issues.

In the middle of this session I used my 7 iron a couple of times to see what effect the TSP was having. I noticed that I wasn’t as disciplined with my own 7 iron. I had to incorporate the swing thoughts LAG, and TEMPO to get better results. The TSP makes you slow down your tempo in order to get the leading edge of the sweet spot where it needs to be during the strike. If you get quick with it, you are done. Once I made the corrections, my 7 iron was fine. Nevertheless, since I was hitting the ball so nicely with the TSP, I was enjoying using it more that my own club...crazy.

Speaking of crazy, this is a crazy game. One day you have it, the next day its gone. I will continue my practice with the TSP and let you know how things are working out if you would like.

I bought a Tour Striker a few weeks ago and couldn't agree more. It can be humiliating at the range sometimes, but the trajectory from a good shot is oh so sexy! I wish he made a whole set of these clubs, I'd buy em. I have had some bad days with it though, and begin to wonder if it's not a torture device. lol I know that trying to fix something you have been doing for many years is never easy though, and you often just have to deal with maybe getting a little worse before you can get better. Old subconscious brain swing patterns are extremely hard to overcome. This club, if you use it from a tight lie, just simply won't let you get away with flipping, brilliant. IMO I have been chatting with the inventor Martin Chuck a bit on another forum and he's a really nice guy who takes a lot of time to try and help folks get better at ball striking. He did mention that the club has a high COG and that's part of the reason for the trajectory I'm seeing, and that He is currently working on some club designs for a full set.

My round today included several approach shots that I hit "chunky" and left 30 yards short. I need to go to the range andstart my tour Stricker sessions again to get back to that crisp ball first contact.

Took the TS pro 7i back out to the range last night to continue my journey to learn how to hit down on the ball. Had pretty good results!
My previous regular distance for my 7i was about 140-150 yds. With the TS I was flying the ball over the 150 yd. marker sign with ease. Alternated the TS with my regular 7i and found the same results. Gaining more distance by learning how to hit "knuckles down". I even had a few roll out to the 200 yd. marker. 200 yds with a 7i?? Are you kidding me??
Switched to my 54* and 58* wedges and was hitting them fat. Concentrated on hitting ball first and made some progress.
Tried to hit driver and think "knuckles down" but that was a disaster. Nothing but hooks so not going to have that thought on the tee...
Overall, after only 2 range sessions and some chipping in the backyard with whiffle balls, the TS is performing for me as advertised. I can feel the difference it has made for me at point of contact as well as helping me with my tempo. I did notice a bit of a tendency to pull shots left with it but that may have been due to my alignment.
No complaints here so far!

I do think it is a great tool. One of my biggest problems has little to do with the TS and more to do with the fact that I am aging and simply cannot swing the way I used to nor like somebody would teach it. For example I cannot just turn my shoulders to take the club back any longer. I have to turn my shoulders while sort of pushing the club back with my left arm at least for the first couple of feet of the backswing. If I push the club back with my front hand/arm to about 8:00 I will have my backswing just about as wide as it should be and for whatever reason I seem to be able to get my wrists hinged easier this way (not too much and not too little). Also I can no longer keep my left arm completely straight through the entire backswing and get max distance out of my shots. I have to let the left elbow bend a little just at the top of the backswing if it wants to without actually trying to make it bend. If it does bend a little, I know that my left arm has gone to completely relaxed (no tension) and I can snap it back to straight on the downswing. Puts some pressure on the left elbow but does allow me to hit the ball pretty far for a 58 year old.

I would not recommend my swing to anybody as I am compensating for advancing age and reduced flexibility. However as for the TSP, if I can snap my left arm straight on the downswing with the TSP, as long as I get that tiny face to the back of the ball, it just rockets off the thing.

So in my case I do not use the TSP to try to achieve a perfect swing. I use it to try to get the most out of what I have.

I do think it is a great tool. One of my biggest problems has little to do with the TS and more to do with the fact that I am aging and simply cannot swing the way I used to nor like somebody would teach it. For example I cannot just turn my shoulders to take the club back any longer. I have to turn my shoulders while sort of pushing the club back with my left arm at least for the first couple of feet of the backswing. If I push the club back with my front hand/arm to about 8:00 I will have my backswing just about as wide as it should be and for whatever reason I seem to be able to get my wrists hinged easier this way (not too much and not too little). Also I can no longer keep my left arm completely straight through the entire backswing and get max distance out of my shots. I have to let the left elbow bend a little just at the top of the backswing if it wants to without actually trying to make it bend. If it does bend a little, I know that my left arm has gone to completely relaxed (no tension) and I can snap it back to straight on the downswing. Puts some pressure on the left elbow but does allow me to hit the ball pretty far for a 58 year old.

I would not recommend my swing to anybody as I am compensating for advancing age and reduced flexibility. However as for the TSP, if I can snap my left arm straight on the downswing with the TSP, as long as I get that tiny face to the back of the ball, it just rockets off the thing.

So in my case I do not use the TSP to try to achieve a perfect swing. I use it to try to get the most out of what I have.

There is wisdom, in those words!

TSP update - Been raining a lot here but got out to the range last week with the TSP and pretty much picked right up where I left off.
First few were worm burners as usual. Tells me right there I am still scooping.
Got in a groove after a while and was hitting some nice flighted draws to about 170 yds with the TSP. Switch to my reg. 7i and duff a few fat. Still not used to transitioning between the 2 clubs.
More practice needed....

sooo..... I'm debating on getting the 7 iron Pro or Pro X model. Any suggestions between the two for those that have hit them? I'm a pretty good ball striker, but the picture is intimidating on the Pro X model. Also... has it been figured on on if this is ok to hit off of grass, at least the fairway type grass that is decently tight?

Thanks!

I have the Tour Striker Pro 7i. They did not have the X model when I got mine. Not that it would have mattered, I couldn't hit the X on my BEST day! As for hitting off from grass? I would say mats are best followed by really tight lies or compact dirt. Anything longer than 1/4" or so IMO is going to skew your results. When I'm swinging well I get good results with the TSP 7i. When I'm not it is painfully obvious that I am still a hacker and not a player!

I agree. Start with the Tour 7 Pro. I'm not a great ball striker, YET. So, I have the TS 8i. I'm getting better and better each time I go to the range.

Glad I logged in to read some of the posts on the Tour Striker. I was doing research to see if getting one would help me. I am still not sure which one to buy. What is the main factor in determining if you should get the TS Pro or the non Pro club? Is it strictly swing speed?

Glad I logged in to read some of the posts on the Tour Striker. I was doing research to see if getting one would help me. I am still not sure which one to buy. What is the main factor in determining if you should get the TS Pro or the non Pro club? Is it strictly swing speed?

The maker of the Tour Striker recommends the Tour Striker Pro for people that are 10 handicap or better, or if you have a driver swing speed over 90 mph. As you can see on the left, I'm not a sub-10 handicap, but do swing more than 90 mph with the driver, so I went with the Tour Striker Pro. It can be humbling at times, but it does help you focus on hitting the ball with your hands in front of the club to compress the ball more. If you want a bigger challenge, go with the Tour Striker Pro from the start.

I have the standard tour striker and as ary said it can be humbling at times, but I find after a range session with it, my next couple of rounds really benefit from great ball striking.

After another horrible iron performance on the range today I'm about to just go ahead and order one of these. I know I flip and I know I'm losing distance and control because of it.

After another horrible iron performance on the range today I'm about to just go ahead and order one of these. I know I flip and I know I'm losing distance and control because of it.

I've got one coming in that I picked up for about $85 off golfsmith with coupon...Hoping to fix the same problems you have Cheffor. I lift the ball really high and don't hit down on it very well...I'm not bad at distance due to SS but accuracy is not my friend.

The Tour Striker's a great tool, but it can be cheated. You really need to focus on how you're making contact and what you're doing to achieve your result. I have the pro model 7i, and I've found that I can cast the thing from the top if I wanted to and still hit the ball with a normal trajectory since I really focus on hitting down hard on the ball. Obviously you don't want to do that. If I could buy it again, I would have gone with the sand wedge and worked primarily on chips and pitches with it and learn how to use my pivot more effectively. I could do that with the 7i too, but I don't see myself really chipping and pitching with a 7i so it'd be kind of a waste of practice time.

Well, after seeing the infomercial and after reading all 17 pages of posts, I think I'm going to have to get me one of these. But, like a few of you had mentioned, I'm not a 10 handicap but have a 6i swing speed of 92 mpg. I think the regular flex shaft will be too flimsy. (Though, if slowing down my swing like so many of you have done, that might help.) Has anyone swapped out the shaft on one?

Have been practicing fairly regularly with my TS Pro 7i and have gained about 10 yds. distance in my irons.
I am now hitting my 9i 140-145 yds. and that was previously my 8i distance.

Back