2 Man Scramble -- Strategy?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, playing in a two man scramble tomorrow. It is just for bragging rights, but dang it, me and my partner wanna win! Any tips regarding basic strategy?

I played in a two man scramble last month. My buddy isn't as long as me off the tee so I always let him go first. If he hit a good drive, I'ld swing out of my shoes hoping to bomb one. If he didn't I'ld hit a safe secure shot to make sure we had a decent second shot. He's a great putter so I always putted first so he'ld get a good read off of my putt.

yeah, but then Team hackers will get som einfo from me...haha. I kid

Dont put too much pressure on each shot. Let the first person play the "safer" shot. If you are hitting your driver well then go first on the tee box, that was if you mess up, let him go to his go to club and just get you a shot out there safely. Really, if you just follow this mentality throughout every hole you will be fine. Putting, let the worse putter gp first so the other can get a read. The first putter just needs to go with the line picked and make sure they have enough to get it there. A good lag putt always helps cause it takes pressure off the second putter. If you lose a hole, dont get down, if you get down by a few holes, dont worry. They are easy to get back. Play your game and play smart and you will be fine. Good Luck!

Driver - consistent guy go first, if all is good then the second guy can take a gamble by cutting corners or whatever
Fairways - no real strategy here, just one of you put it on the green
Putter - let the best putter go last so he can read the line

Good Luck!!

This should be fun- it's also the format of round 1 in the Morgan cup.

You really don't have much here- have one tee off - if he is in the fairway you can try and bomb it further or if he misses - play a safer shot to the fairway.

Putting- have your Best putter go 2nd so he can see the line.

Other than that- aim for the pin or the center of the green depending on your partners shot.

Everyone here has pretty much covered it. Scrambles are a blast. Have fun!

If you're putting for a par and your partner is putting for a birdie you should go first. If you make the par, then he can be aggressive with his birdie putt.

If its a scramble where you have to use "x" number of drives from each player, get those out of the way as quickly as possible. Its a lot of pressure on one person if he/she has to get their drive in on the last 2-3 holes.

Don't swing out of your shoes or try to do something that you don't normally do. If your partner hits first and is in the fairway, my advice would be to swing smooth and try to get it out as far as you can within your limits. I think that overswinging sometimes gets a golfer out of their normal tempo, and could do more harm than good. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and have fun - I think that is the most important thing.:golf:

Generally whichever of you is the weakest full shot player should hit first, weakest putter putt first, weakest chipper chip first, etc. It doesn't seem like a big deal but if that first hitter uncorks a big drive or hits a decent shot onto the green or whatever it will free up the better player to go for a riskier shot that might not be a good idea to try if you didn't already have a good lie with the first shot. Also the better player should be able to handle pressure shots a little better if that first shot lands out of bounds or in a hazard or whatever. Decide who is better at what ahead of time and stick to it. If the two of you are fairly even players then you might have to go by who is playing better that day and adjust to that after a few holes.

Well, seems as everyone has covered it, but I will throw in my .02 as well;

Usually, if the first drive is not in the fairway, I will go with a "sure thing" off the tee, usually a long iron or my 3h, this way I know there will be a ball in play. If the first ball is good, then swing away and go for it.

Same goes for fairway shots, one aggressive approach, one safe shot, etc.

If your partner is a better putter, let them putt second to get a read from your ball.

Make a lot of birdies.

Fairways and Greens man, Fairways and greens..

Have fun!

Fairways and Greens man, Fairways and greens..

Have fun!

This is the truth.. I would say keep them in the fairway is super important. If you keep hitting fairways you have a chance everytime

Tap tap taparoo

If you're putting for a par and your partner is putting for a birdie you should go first. If you make the par, then he can be aggressive with his birdie putt.

Skim much Sean? hehehe

(It's a scramble)

Just play to each others strengths. My brother in law and me are in a 2 person scramble league. He is longer, but wilder than me off the tee, so he hits first to try and bomb one. If he misses bad, I just play for postition. With long irons he is a little better than me, so I go first 200 yards and out. In close we both have good wedge games, so we pin seek. I'm the better putter, so he goes first and I get a read. Lots of fun for sure.

Back