TaylorMade Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

Thanks. Good stuff man! That's about the only setting I haven't adjusted on these new woods. I've left the hybrids alone. I'll start tinkering with them once I know my gaps. I've really just tried to getting used to hitting them and have not had to worry about distance, just accuracy. It's about time to get the distances down.

So, Am I correct in assuming you got a little higher ball flight and not much roll out of it. Just all carry?

Some roll out but not a lot, I'd say with the 4 hybrid is 190 carry and 5-10 yards of roll. I personally like hybrids because of the hieght you can get, I'm not looking for roll out.

Some roll out but not a lot, I'd say with the 4 hybrid is 190 carry and 5-10 yards of roll. I personally like hybrids because of the hieght you can get, I'm not looking for roll out.
I'm with you on that. The biggest difference between the Rescue and it's iron counterpart was height of shot and ease of hitting out of the rough. They are more forgiving and really versatile clubs when you learn how to play them. I can't tell you how much of a difference that 85 gram shaft is compared to my previous Rescue...huge, huge difference!

I'm with you on that. The biggest difference between the Rescue and it's iron counterpart was height of shot and ease of hitting out of the rough. They are more forgiving and really versatile clubs when you learn how to play them. I can't tell you how much of a difference that 85 gram shaft is compared to my previous Rescue...huge, huge difference!

I can tell you that going from the playing the lightweight Miyazaki and then going to the 85 gram RIP is a big difference, WOW>

The shorter compact swing looks great Biggsy. Something I need to mimic in my own hybrid swings perhaps. I've never video'ed myself when really trying to after one, but I'll bet I'm past parallel too. I know this isn't a tips thread, but I'm taking that one with me!

The shorter compact swing looks great Biggsy. Something I need to mimic in my own hybrid swings perhaps. I've never video'ed myself when really trying to after one, but I'll bet I'm past parallel too. I know this isn't a tips thread, but I'm taking that one with me!
It's great to be able to get instant feedback with a camera. It helps these range sessions become more beneficial and not just about beating balls around. I'm always working on something, whether it be alignment or tempo or something like you saw in the video.

I hope it helps you with any issues you are having!

Thanks bro, that's too funny. We have to get out soon!

Did you get some time off in August so you can come up and join the fun? :D

Yep, got my lieu days all changed around so I don't miss out on the festivities. Can't believe its almost here.

--
tapatalk

--
tapatalk

loving the R11 still. I played a tight course yesterday - tree lined fairways - i pulled the 3w alot - and it was rewarding. I hit a ton of fairways with it - and usually had 6 or 7 iron in. I hit driver on the par 5's and missed a few - but saw good height and distance.

so jealous lol. Id love to be a tester and give my opinion on the clubs. Looking at buying the TP Hybrid got some great info thanks

loving the R11 still. I played a tight course yesterday - tree lined fairways - i pulled the 3w alot - and it was rewarding. I hit a ton of fairways with it - and usually had 6 or 7 iron in. I hit driver on the par 5's and missed a few - but saw good height and distance.

Have you adjusted your 3w? or are you playing with the default settings?

Bombing this driver, bombing this 3 wood, loving the hybrids, One-T can't dance.

Have you adjusted your 3w? or are you playing with the default settings?

I screwed around with different settings but I keep goin back to normal. The xcon shaft gives me a nice high launch- and I love the feel of the ball at impact. Great feel- an Great sound.

I screwed around with different settings but I keep goin back to normal. The xcon shaft gives me a nice high launch- and I love the feel of the ball at impact. Great feel- an Great sound.

Funny enough, that's what I did on the range with mine. Trying it with the closed ASP next and standard loft as I want to try to promote a draw flight rather than my usual fade

This thread is way too far down the activity list.

I wanted to provide an update of the TaylorMade Driver in my Morgan Cup prep.

Even as I ordered the R11, I was a bit concerned. I had played a 9 deg R11 all spring to varying levels of success, but given the choice between the R11 and the Superfast, I liked the R11 better. When I got fit, the fitter suggested that I go with a higher torque shaft. Therefore, trusting the fitting, I ordered the 65g Fujikura Blur in stiff flex which is just that (4.1 torque compared to the 3.2-3.5 I've typically played). Even when I received the club, I was still not seeing the ball flight consistency or distance that I was hoping for.

Finally, a recurring comment on the fact that I was still catching the ball on a decending angle set in, and as a desparation approach, I moved the ball further up in my stance to where it is directly in front of my left foot. This change has made all the difference in that approach angle...which has in turn made the results much better. I am hitting the ball much more solid, with a much straighter flight (down to a minimal fade). With that straighter flight, the distance has improved to something very playable.

It is simply amazing what a small position change, as well as a shaft fitted for my game, has done to improve the results and my opinion of the R11. Instead of hoping just to get through the Morgan Cup and hope there was an R11 460 next year, I am loving the current R11 and plan to play it for some time.

I was killing the driver sun am, hit a ton of fairways and was poking it out there good.

I'm really liking the r11, it's a fantastic driver. People are hard on it for it's forgiveness but if you hit that sweet spot it hangs with the best of em.

What I want to talk about tonight is my Burner Superfast 2.0 3 wood. Tonight I played in men's night at my club and on most holes they had the tee's moved up to the blacks, which is one tee forward of where I normally play. What this did was take my driver out of my hands on a lot of holes because now the trouble was in play for me off the tee.
Well, I was hitting BOMBs off the tee all day with this 3 wood, long, high 240 yard bombs all night. I was hitting it so well, that on a couple of wide open par 5's where I could have hit driver, I hit 3 wood off the tee, just because I wasn't going to go for it in 2 anyway, I might as well be right in the center of the fairway. If you are in the market for a new FW you have to put this club on the short list. I've never hit a 3 wood, as well as I'm hitting the 2.0 right now.

I had a nice day with the eggs today. When I ordered my woods for the event, I went with the high launching Matrix Xcon 5 shaft. When I found out I was going to be playing in TMC I became a little obsessed with hitting the ball farther than I have the last year or so. I wanted to get more carry because for a number of years I've been a bit of a low ball hitter, relying on some rollout for my total distance. Set at 10.5* I was hitting shots that were too high. After setting it at 9.5* I was hitting it higher than my last couple drivers, and 10 to 15 yards longer. But I was losing some consistency in my obsession to carry the ball farther. A while back, Hawk made a comment about just playing my game. I stopped swinging as hard and the consistency got somewhat better, but I was still launching one this way or that more often than I like. Yesterday while playing a few holes, I wanted to try and hit the ball a little lower. By just teeing it down, and moving it a very slightly forward in my stance, I hit a couple drives that went 250ish, and were very controlled. I tried it all day today with darn good success. I even hit a couple on purpose draws on two doglegs to the right. That's saying something for an old cutter of the ball like me. This is how I need to play this, or maybe any, driver. That's my game at this point, not high bombs that carry forever. This is going to be my focus going forward.

I also want to talk about the R11 3w a little bit. Coolbreeze has been having great success with his 2.0. For me, I like the R11 because its shallow face. For the last couple years I'd been playing a TEE XCG 3w with an Graphite Design X-Quad shaft. I felt this was the easiest 3w to hit off the deck for me since the early copper colored TM metal woods the Bubble shafts. The R11 has now equaled the TEE in my opinion. I'm not so long that I hit 3w off the tee often. I want a 3w I'm comfortable with off the deck. Since I don't hit it often, I want to be confident, and the confidence in the R11 is really growing. With the RIP Beta 70 shaft, with good tempo, I feel it load nicely, and it hits the bullet type 3w shots I like. I have it set neutral at 16*.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling with the 21* hybrid. I should practice more with it, but in all honesty, I've never been comfortable with any hybrid I've ever owned. It seems ridiculous because they should be so easy to hit, but I have a mental block. I hit too many high pushes with the darn thing. It doesn't make much sense because it looks good to my eye, the weight feels right, and the shaft should be perfect.

Kevin

I had a nice day with the eggs today. When I ordered my woods for the event, I went with the high launching Matrix Xcon 5 shaft. When I found out I was going to be playing in TMC I became a little obsessed with hitting the ball farther than I have the last year or so. I wanted to get more carry because for a number of years I've been a bit of a low ball hitter, relying on some rollout for my total distance. Set at 10.5* I was hitting shots that were too high. After setting it at 9.5* I was hitting it higher than my last couple drivers, and 10 to 15 yards longer. But I was losing some consistency in my obsession to carry the ball farther. A while back, Hawk made a comment about just playing my game. I stopped swinging as hard and the consistency got somewhat better, but I was still launching one this way or that more often than I like. Yesterday while playing a few holes, I wanted to try and hit the ball a little lower. By just teeing it down, and moving it a very slightly forward in my stance, I hit a couple drives that went 250ish, and were very controlled. I tried it all day today with darn good success. I even hit a couple on purpose draws on two doglegs to the right. That's saying something for an old cutter of the ball like me. This is how I need to play this, or maybe any, driver. That's my game at this point, not high bombs that carry forever. This is going to be my focus going forward.

I also want to talk about the R11 3w a little bit. Coolbreeze has been having great success with his 2.0. For me, I like the R11 because its shallow face. For the last couple years I'd been playing a TEE XCG 3w with an Graphite Design X-Quad shaft. I felt this was the easiest 3w to hit off the deck for me since the early copper colored TM metal woods the Bubble shafts. The R11 has now equaled the TEE in my opinion. I'm not so long that I hit 3w off the tee often. I want a 3w I'm comfortable with off the deck. Since I don't hit it often, I want to be confident, and the confidence in the R11 is really growing. With the RIP Beta 70 shaft, with good tempo, I feel it load nicely, and it hits the bullet type 3w shots I like. I have it set neutral at 16*.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling with the 21* hybrid. I should practice more with it, but in all honesty, I've never been comfortable with any hybrid I've ever owned. It seems ridiculous because they should be so easy to hit, but I have a mental block. I hit too many high pushes with the darn thing. It doesn't make much sense because it looks good to my eye, the weight feels right, and the shaft should be perfect.

Kevin

Great reviews CB and Kevin.

I am loving my 3w off the tee too. I wish I had the confidence to hit 3w on par 5's. I just top em too much. Sure it's mental.

I feel the same with The hybrid, off a tee I can crush it, but off the deck and in rough it's supposed to be a cheater club, well I don't find em easy at all.

Ah well, gonna try some practice shots tomorrow. 3w into par5's being a good test probably.

These 4 woods/rescues from Taylormade are really getting dialed in for me. My swing adjustment is just about complete and it's really helped in being more consistent off the tee as well as hitting from different spots from the fairway and rough.

These hybrids are the best hybrids I've ever hit and I haven't made one loft adjustment. The 85g Aldila Rip shaft has been incredibly helpful with consistency and was a big thing lacking with other hybrids I have played. These are still my favorite clubs from my Morgan Cup bag and I see them getting a lot of work in a few weeks.

The driver swing is still an issue I am getting dialed in, but even at this point now, I'm more consistent off the tee than ever and extremely happy with the overall results.

The 3 wood is giving me consistent and solid shots from the tee with a low penetrating flight with a good amount of roll. Still not entirely confident in hitting it from the deck, but it's come a long way since I first ripped the plastic off of it. Just love the sound and forgiveness this clubs gives me.

The one issue I see with these is if you hit close to where the crown meets the face, and I am not talking a sky ball, I've seen a couple of minor needle sized paint chips in the white paint. It's all cosmetic, but just see it as a flaw in the painting process. If they continue with the white line, I'd like to see a different paint or something that is a little more durable.

Biggsy I"m seeing the same thing with my 3 wood. With my driver and hybrids the white paint is pristine, but the 3 wood has some marks from when I was first getting used to it that are quite ugly. The first week I was gameing it, I was hitting most of the balls with it, off the toe and high on the face, now I have a ton of deep marks in the white that are purely cosmetic, but I really want to cover them up somehow.

I have it happening on my rescue...

If I look close I see it on the 3w, but I always tee that low to begin with.

Driver I really have to tee lower; I'm hitting it too high on the face and seeing the same

could any of you add some pics as to what you are seeing?

I marked my 3w and Hybrid up with a couple sky shots right after I got them. It was me, not the paint. And since our range sucks I now have a sky mark on my driver from skying a range ball that had sand on it.

Now I know their mine.

Kevin

Catching up on the feedback here and I really like what I'm hearing. My Pops and I were looking at drivers a couple weekends ago (for him) and he tested all the new TM's out along with some oldies. Got to hit the Superfast 2.0 and I'm pretty sure if I were TM that wouldve been my driver. I have the R11 and notice the paint chips too.

Really excited to see you guys on the course with these in just a few weeks.

Can't wait to see an even more dailed in Biggsy than what I saw at the outing. Esox, 250+ is a helluva long drive guy! I like CB's approach on par 5's... I wish I had that discipline lol.

could any of you add some pics as to what you are seeing?
I'll add some pics when I get a moment. Just haven't had much time to breathe lately. Thus, the reason I am posting at 3:30 AM.

Back