TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Firstly, thanks to all contributors for great reviews, pictures and questions! I have enjoyed reading up on the Burner clubs on this forum! I am very close to buying these...

I was hoping to get your input on my trade-off: My closest store sells the v1.0 at ~half the prize of the v2.0. How does the v1.0 compare to the v2.0 in terms of distance, consistency, workability. The v2.0 certainly looks much better :) Has anyone tried both or may help me reason around this tradeoff?

A friend of mine has the v1.0 and is very happy with them. I will thus be able to test them tomorrow on a 9h round, but that course's proshop do not carry the v2.0, so not direct comparison unfortunately.

Grateful for all input! Regards from Norway

Well I have hit the 1.0 set, but have never done a direct comparison. I can't really compare the two sets, but I can say that the 1.0 irons are a great set as well. And if they have a sale going on, that's all the more reason to buy them. But only if you hit them well. If you like the results you see when you try them on 9 holes, then I say that's a good enough reason to make the purchase.

Hit my demo 6 iron on a couple of shots today. Used it on a par 3 playing almost 160, able to get it to the green where I haven't been able to with the RAC LT2 6i. Then used it as a 2nd shot on a par 4, club rolled in my hand, but hit it just off the green pin high and able to get up and down for par. I keep thinking this will be the next set, hopefully soon!

Well I went to my GolfTec lesson today, and it was awesome. I don't know if anyone has ever done one of these, but it is a neat experience. They hooked a harness to me that had a hip and shoulder sensor attached to it. These measured the degree of how open and closed my hips/shoulders were at all times throughout the swing. There were two separate cameras there to record my swing; one to capture the side view, and one to capture from behind. Based on the numbers, my set up was only slightly off. My feet were square to target, but my shoulders were open. The numbers drastically improved on my back swing, as the numbers were perfect. I've always been told my back swing was perfect, and this confirmed it. Then the bad starts. My swing comes over the top which I knew, but it turns out it's a very simple fix. I'm pushing my hips through, but not rotating them near enough at impact. This is keeping the club from lagging and staying inside my hands, which produces my over-the-top swing. He changed my posture a tad bit, and helped me get through the ball better, and the numbers it produced were perfect. Every aspect of my swing was producing numbers that compared to the pros' swings. This was great news! They guy was very impressed by the distance I get on my shots, and said that once I practiced this swing and perfected it, I could add more yards. He also said he doesn't see any reason why I can't consistently shoot 70s or better when I get that fixed. He was also impressed with THP. He said he had heard of us here, but had no idea how big it was becoming! Anyway, I know this doesn't pertain to me testing the irons, but I was hitting them much better, and I can't wait to figure this completely out. I hope to be playing a round soon. I'll keep you all updated.

Well I went to my GolfTec lesson today, and it was awesome. I don't know if anyone has ever done one of these, but it is a neat experience. They hooked a harness to me that had a hip and shoulder sensor attached to it. These measured the degree of how open and closed my hips/shoulders were at all times throughout the swing. There were two separate cameras there to record my swing; one to capture the side view, and one to capture from behind. Based on the numbers, my set up was only slightly off. My feet were square to target, but my shoulders were open. The numbers drastically improved on my back swing, as the numbers were perfect. I've always been told my back swing was perfect, and this confirmed it. Then the bad starts. My swing comes over the top which I knew, but it turns out it's a very simple fix. I'm pushing my hips through, but not rotating them near enough at impact. This is keeping the club from lagging and staying inside my hands, which produces my over-the-top swing. He changed my posture a tad bit, and helped me get through the ball better, and the numbers it produced were perfect. Every aspect of my swing was producing numbers that compared to the pros' swings. This was great news! They guy was very impressed by the distance I get on my shots, and said that once I practiced this swing and perfected it, I could add more yards. He also said he doesn't see any reason why I can't consistently shoot 70s or better when I get that fixed. He was also impressed with THP. He said he had heard of us here, but had no idea how big it was becoming! Anyway, I know this doesn't pertain to me testing the irons, but I was hitting them much better, and I can't wait to figure this completely out. I hope to be playing a round soon. I'll keep you all updated.

That is awesome. Glad to see you are getting stuff figured out

Tap tap taparoo

Firstly, thanks to all contributors for great reviews, pictures and questions! I have enjoyed reading up on the Burner clubs on this forum! I am very close to buying these...

I was hoping to get your input on my trade-off: My closest store sells the v1.0 at ~half the prize of the v2.0. How does the v1.0 compare to the v2.0 in terms of distance, consistency, workability. The v2.0 certainly looks much better :) Has anyone tried both or may help me reason around this tradeoff?

A friend of mine has the v1.0 and is very happy with them. I will thus be able to test them tomorrow on a 9h round, but that course's proshop do not carry the v2.0, so not direct comparison unfortunately.

Grateful for all input! Regards from Norway

This is hard question to answer. I have hit both, not head to head, but last year hit the 1.0 a bunch. In terms of the clubs, the 2.0 is WAY better than the 1.0. The feel when you hit the 2.0 is, for me, nearly perfect. They are also more forgiving than the 1.0. I haven't gotten into working shots with the 2.0 yet as I haven't had any real range time, but I would say that even if it was a wash, the 2.0 vastly outperforms the 1.0. Here is where it gets tough. The 1.0 is a really good set. I liked them a lot, so when I tell you the 2.0 is measurably better, that is saying something. The money part is up to you. If you can afford the 2.0, buy them, but for half price you would be in great shape with the 1.0 and save a couple hundred dollars to boot. I only buy irons every few years, so I usually go all out and buy the latest set that fits me best. If it were me, and these two sets were my choices, I would without a doubt spend the extra money and go with the 2.0. This way, you won't be able to look back and say "I wish I would have...." :)

I just got Burner 2.0 Irons with stiff graphite shafts a week ago and after a few sessions at the range to get used to them, they are the best iron set I have ever owned. Like many have previously mentioned, the feeling you get of a good ball connection with these clubs is great, and the advice to use a good tempo with the clubs made for a much more pleasant experience. I am getting back into golf after 3 years of not playing, and could not be happier with the irons. I am taking them to the course for the first time tomorrow morning, so I am excited to see how the round turns out.

I just got Burner 2.0 Irons with stiff graphite shafts a week ago and after a few sessions at the range to get used to them, they are the best iron set I have ever owned. Like many have previously mentioned, the feeling you get of a good ball connection with these clubs is great, and the advice to use a good tempo with the clubs made for a much more pleasant experience. I am getting back into golf after 3 years of not playing, and could not be happier with the irons. I am taking them to the course for the first time tomorrow morning, so I am excited to see how the round turns out.

I think you are the first person I have seen with the stock stiff graphite, other than me that is. I went with them after my fitting and they produced the best shots, and swing speed for me. Did you get fitted? Were you able to try the full plethora of other shafts available? I ask because I'm curious what drew you to graphite.

I think you are the first person I have seen with the stock stiff graphite, other than me that is. I went with them after my fitting and they produced the best shots, and swing speed for me. Did you get fitted? Were you able to try the full plethora of other shafts available? I ask because I'm curious what drew you to graphite.

I actually got the iron set without ever shooting them, because of finding an irresistible deal on Ebay (I was very paranoid about counterfeits, so I ran straight to the store after getting them to compare with legit ones). When starting my search for clubs I sought out graphite shafts because my previous set of clubs had them and I really like the weight and feel of them. As for a fitting, I am 6ft tall and most irons or drivers I hold feel good so I figured I didn't need one (at least for now). The irons preformed great today though, and I am truly in love with them. I cannot wait until I get to play another round with them tomorrow morning.

I actually got the iron set without ever shooting them, because of finding an irresistible deal on Ebay (I was very paranoid about counterfeits, so I ran straight to the store after getting them to compare with legit ones). When starting my search for clubs I sought out graphite shafts because my previous set of clubs had them and I really like the weight and feel of them. As for a fitting, I am 6ft tall and most irons or drivers I hold feel good so I figured I didn't need one (at least for now). The irons preformed great today though, and I am truly in love with them. I cannot wait until I get to play another round with them tomorrow morning.

That's cool. I just wanted to wanted to see what drew you to them... Now I know. I love the clubs. The forgiveness is incredible. I may come up short on a toe shot, but the ball goes straight.

That's cool. I just wanted to wanted to see what drew you to them... Now I know. I love the clubs. The forgiveness is incredible. I may come up short on a toe shot, but the ball goes straight.

Yeah, I noticed that my toe shots end up short but still straight as well. I love new club technology, golf is much more enjoyable with it.

Just finally got caught up on this thread and I love all of the input everyone is having. Even though I wont be able to get these clubs this year I should be able to get them before next season starts and do it right with a fitting.

Does anyone know of anyone getting these with the KBS C-Tapers?? I am very interested in this combo as I already have a very high ball trajectory and the C-Tapers are supposed to bring that down.

Keep up the great reviews everyone.

as detailed in my introduction thread, i just got a new set of 2.0 as a free replacement for my defective R9's (the read pads were dislodging).
i could only used them on a 9-hole round so far, with no range time (only 20 balls as a warm up before the round).
also, my set in custom fit +1" and 2 degrees up, and while waiting for the burners i was given a set of standard mizuno mx-25 (way shorter) so my set-up and swing was a bit off.
but, boy am i impressed!
i obviously hit quite a few fat shots due to the longer shafts, but the distance loss was way less than with the R9's.
and on good hits, they are indeed long and straight!
on the first hole i was left with a 120-yard approach. i took my PW, the ball started up, and up, so much that i thought "ooops, bunker".
but it just landed 3 ft from the hole!
it was a feeling i got more than once: the ball flight is way higher than the R9's, but the distance is there indeed!

I put these in my bag for a full round the first time this past weekend and am still impressed. I hit 3/4 par 3's and won a closest to the pin contest. I left it about 9' away using 6 iron from 187. The par 3 that i missed was a hook that landed 7 yards over the green and bounded down into a low spot. Like in my previous posts, I really didnt see distance gains on well struck shots, my distance "gains" came on my mishits closer to the toe. With my previous set (Cleveland CG Golds), I would get about 5-7 less yards on toe mishits. I agree with an earlier post regarding tempo with these irons and how quick transitions almost guarantee a hook (for me at least).

My only other serious mishit was a SW I hit fat, rex ryan fat. I did other another full SW pretty close, so I am still pondering adding a custom Burner 2 AW to go along with the SW or if I should get my 52 and 56 vokeys bent to 50 and 55. I need some time in an empty field so I can really compare the distance and dispersion with both sets of wedges.

I gamed the 5-P, SW. I was hitting the 4I about the same distance as my M3 during my range sessions, so I left the 4i in the basement. As I get more experienced, I continue to get more glad that I spent the extra money to get fitted. There is such a good feeling of confidence that I know what I am holding is the best I can get for my swing. I still feel so appreciative to THP and TMAG for letting us test these irons and letting us share our unfiltered / uncensored feedback.

I am travelling again for work this week, so wont be able to touch these again until Thurs evening at the earliest. I have a best ball match with some buddies this Sat, so I'm hoping to get in another range session before then. Also very interested to see how these perform in a match situation.

I have been reading this thread with great intrest since hitting these at a demo day recently and Pro at my cub highly recomending them. Thanks for all the great info and thanks for a great site THP.

I pulled the trigger this weekend for 4-AW with KBS Tour stiff flex shafts.

I have been reading this thread with great intrest since hitting these at a demo day recently and Pro at my cub highly recomending them. Thanks for all the great info and thanks for a great site THP.

Congrats, and you have good taste in shafts! :)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I notice a few posts about 3/4 swings and good tempos over the last couple of pages. I definitely agree! I have to keep reminding myself that the very best shots I have played have been those that felt effortless. Now perhpas effortless has come when I've actually taken a good swing. Perhaps they are one and the same. But I have certainly told myself many times... let the club do all the work. Swing slow, steady and controlled. Perhaps 'easy-going' is the term to use. Because shots I have played that felt this way have soared! It's almost impossible for me to believe it works. My fight on the course at the moment is to chill-out and to stop trying to 'hit the ball the distance it needs to go', but just hit the ball and let the club do the work. It sounds like Morpheous in the Matrix; "Stop trying to hit me, and hit me!". LOL.

I firmly believe this is a factor of the weight of the club heads. I do believe these irons feel heavy. I don't know how they compare with all others on the market today, but they're definitely heavier than a set of Spalding clubs I had in my early teens 20years ago (god that makes me feel old!). Again, I have the totally stock clubs (shafts, grips, set-up), but it certainly feels like all the wieght is in the club head to me. And if that, combined with variable face thickness, larger sweet spots and longer shafts, makes hitting the ball easier, then I have to conceed the technology works.

I'd still say that 6i and shorter clubs are much easier to play than the 5i and 4i. I've proposed elsewhere that this is why TM give away 6i demo clubs... best distance-to-ease trade-off. As I posted to the previous test thread, has anyone found the shaft lengths to feel uncomfortably long in the longer irons?

Wow Josh, That is awesome to hear. Can't wait to see how you do out on the course after this lesson!

I put these in my bag for a full round the first time this past weekend and am still impressed. I hit 3/4 par 3's and won a closest to the pin contest. I left it about 9' away using 6 iron from 187. The par 3 that i missed was a hook that landed 7 yards over the green and bounded down into a low spot. Like in my previous posts, I really didnt see distance gains on well struck shots, my distance "gains" came on my mishits closer to the toe. With my previous set (Cleveland CG Golds), I would get about 5-7 less yards on toe mishits. I agree with an earlier post regarding tempo with these irons and how quick transitions almost guarantee a hook (for me at least).

My only other serious mishit was a SW I hit fat, rex ryan fat. I did other another full SW pretty close, so I am still pondering adding a custom Burner 2 AW to go along with the SW or if I should get my 52 and 56 vokeys bent to 50 and 55. I need some time in an empty field so I can really compare the distance and dispersion with both sets of wedges.

I gamed the 5-P, SW. I was hitting the 4I about the same distance as my M3 during my range sessions, so I left the 4i in the basement. As I get more experienced, I continue to get more glad that I spent the extra money to get fitted. There is such a good feeling of confidence that I know what I am holding is the best I can get for my swing. I still feel so appreciative to THP and TMAG for letting us test these irons and letting us share our unfiltered / uncensored feedback.

I am travelling again for work this week, so wont be able to touch these again until Thurs evening at the earliest. I have a best ball match with some buddies this Sat, so I'm hoping to get in another range session before then. Also very interested to see how these perform in a match situation.

3/4 par 3's and closest to the pin! Sounds like you got these dialed in pretty quickly.

Good for you, and congrats. You are going to love them.

Wow Josh, That is awesome to hear. Can't wait to see how you do out on the course after this lesson!

3/4 par 3's and closest to the pin! Sounds like you got these dialed in pretty quickly.

Good for you, and congrats. You are going to love them.

Congrats, and you have good taste in shafts! :)

Thanks guys. Keep your reviews coming. I love them.

I got out to play 18 yesterday (only playes 15, but we'll get to that), and really started to get these dialed in. I didn't have time to hit a bucket before my tee time, and my round went as follows:
#1 Mashie M3 off the tee to the middle of the fairway 165 yards out. Pull 7 iron(I still can't believe the distance) hit a very high slight fade, and land on the fringe just short of the green. Chip on, 2 putt, bogey.
#2 is a par 5. Driver in the middle, topped a 3 wood to 130 yards out. 9 iron dead straight, but bad alignment, just left of the green. Blow the chip over, chip back on 2 putt double bogey. (mad at myself for blowing the chip, but happy with the 9 in)
#3 Driver in the fairway about 175 yards out. Pull 6 iron and hit a push fade into the woods. Just a terrible swing. Penalty stroke. get up and down for double!
#4 is a par 3 that I hate. It just does not suit my eye. Long is dead so from 140 I decide to hit 9 iron, and if I come up a little short, so be it. I pull it right and wind up pin high but with a muddy lie. Come up short on the chip, hit a terrible second chip, 2 putt for another double! That is 3 doubles in a row, and it is my short game letting me down. This is making me mad, but that is really my strong suit normally. The flip side of that is I figure I will turn it around because my short game will come around.
#5 is a Par 5 that I cannot hit driver on because of water. 3 wood in the fairway, 3 wood in the fairway, 60* to the middle, and a 3 putt bogey!
#6 is a par 3. Tees are up and from 140 I hit 9 to just short of the green. Again, long is dead so I was happy with the play, and it was hit dead straight. Chip on, 1 putt. Par, finally!
#7 This is the #1 handicap hole on the course. Par 4 with water down the left and straight if you go too far off of the tee, and down the right on approach. I hit a dead pull off of the tee, and wind up a fairway over to the right. Play mashie back to the middle, gap wedge to the green, 2 putt bogey.
#8 is a 160 yard par 3 that is tee box, water, and green. You can miss right and land on a hill, but left and short are wet. I hit 7 iron to the right (better safe than wet), chip on, and 3 putt for double! Another double, and my second 3 putt on the front. Mad, but still feel good because I am hitting my irons so well.
#9 Driver to the middle about 135 yards to the center. Crush a 9 iron over the green. When I hit it, I thought it was perfect, and it just kept going. Chip on 2 putt, bogey.
# 10 is a short uphill par 5. I won't bore you with the details as I did not use any of the new irons to bogey this hole
#11 was my blow up hole. Driver way left, and had to get through/over some trees to get back to my fairway. Decided to hit a high draw with a 6 iron over the trees, knowing it would not get me to the green, but would put me in a good spot, and I needed the lofet to clear the pine trees. Horrible swing, fat, and still on the wrong side of the trees. Punch through the trees for my third, short on 4th, chip on and 2 putt for a triple bogey 7. Uggh...just blew up bad, but shake it off.
#12 is a 165 yard par 3. I pull 6 iron, and the pin is tucked away behind some tree branches overhanging on the left. I go right at it. this is going to be perfect, until it catches the last branch, and drops straight down. Chip on, 2 putt bogey.
#13 Driver in the woods, but I find it, and have a shot at the green. Hybrid punch gets through, and rolls up on the green. 3 putt Bogey. Another 3 putt. Worst putting round I have had in years.
#14 driver to the middle and 160 yards out. Slightly down hill to the green. I hit an 8 iron, and stuck the middle of the green. 2 putt, par.
#15 (the last full hole I played) Driver just left of the fairway to 80 yards. Pull SW and put it in the middle of the green. 2 putt, par.
#16 Decide to play mashie off of the tee because I generally hit it very straight, and this is a narrow fairway that is dead if you go left. I pull it, catch a tree top on and drop straight down. I have a shot to advance it and get close to the green. I play mashie again, I hit it thin, it catches a root from the tree, and the ball hits me on the left foot (my back foot), right on the back knuckle of the big toe. I know immediately that it is broken. Can't finish, drive home without taking of my golf show, hitting the clutch was miserable. Get in the house, grab an ice pack, and take off my shoe. Grab the injured big toe, pull it out, hear and feel it pop back into place, and begin icing it for the night. Much better today, so maybe it was just dislocated and will be fine in a day or two. I really wish I could have finished because I was really starting to dial in, and hit the last 3 greens in regulation. I cannot believe how high I hit these, how quickly they get up, and how long they are. I know that my scoring does not show it, but that is because my short game let me down today. I really am hitting these very well, very straight, and where I want. I am loving them, and pain or not, I will get out to the range again in a couple of days, and play another round this weekend before I go on vacation.

I got out to play 18 yesterday (only playes 15, but we'll get to that), and really started to get these dialed in. I didn't have time to hit a bucket before my tee time, and my round went as follows:
#1 Mashie M3 off the tee to the middle of the fairway 165 yards out. Pull 7 iron(I still can't believe the distance) hit a very high slight fade, and land on the fringe just short of the green. Chip on, 2 putt, bogey.
#2 is a par 5. Driver in the middle, topped a 3 wood to 130 yards out. 9 iron dead straight, but bad alignment, just left of the green. Blow the chip over, chip back on 2 putt double bogey. (mad at myself for blowing the chip, but happy with the 9 in)
#3 Driver in the fairway about 175 yards out. Pull 6 iron and hit a push fade into the woods. Just a terrible swing. Penalty stroke. get up and down for double!
#4 is a par 3 that I hate. It just does not suit my eye. Long is dead so from 140 I decide to hit 9 iron, and if I come up a little short, so be it. I pull it right and wind up pin high but with a muddy lie. Come up short on the chip, hit a terrible second chip, 2 putt for another double! That is 3 doubles in a row, and it is my short game letting me down. This is making me mad, but that is really my strong suit normally. The flip side of that is I figure I will turn it around because my short game will come around.
#5 is a Par 5 that I cannot hit driver on because of water. 3 wood in the fairway, 3 wood in the fairway, 60* to the middle, and a 3 putt bogey!
#6 is a par 3. Tees are up and from 140 I hit 9 to just short of the green. Again, long is dead so I was happy with the play, and it was hit dead straight. Chip on, 1 putt. Par, finally!
#7 This is the #1 handicap hole on the course. Par 4 with water down the left and straight if you go too far off of the tee, and down the right on approach. I hit a dead pull off of the tee, and wind up a fairway over to the right. Play mashie back to the middle, gap wedge to the green, 2 putt bogey.
#8 is a 160 yard par 3 that is tee box, water, and green. You can miss right and land on a hill, but left and short are wet. I hit 7 iron to the right (better safe than wet), chip on, and 3 putt for double! Another double, and my second 3 putt on the front. Mad, but still feel good because I am hitting my irons so well.
#9 Driver to the middle about 135 yards to the center. Crush a 9 iron over the green. When I hit it, I thought it was perfect, and it just kept going. Chip on 2 putt, bogey.
# 10 is a short uphill par 5. I won't bore you with the details as I did not use any of the new irons to bogey this hole
#11 was my blow up hole. Driver way left, and had to get through/over some trees to get back to my fairway. Decided to hit a high draw with a 6 iron over the trees, knowing it would not get me to the green, but would put me in a good spot, and I needed the lofet to clear the pine trees. Horrible swing, fat, and still on the wrong side of the trees. Punch through the trees for my third, short on 4th, chip on and 2 putt for a triple bogey 7. Uggh...just blew up bad, but shake it off.
#12 is a 165 yard par 3. I pull 6 iron, and the pin is tucked away behind some tree branches overhanging on the left. I go right at it. this is going to be perfect, until it catches the last branch, and drops straight down. Chip on, 2 putt bogey.
#13 Driver in the woods, but I find it, and have a shot at the green. Hybrid punch gets through, and rolls up on the green. 3 putt Bogey. Another 3 putt. Worst putting round I have had in years.
#14 driver to the middle and 160 yards out. Slightly down hill to the green. I hit an 8 iron, and stuck the middle of the green. 2 putt, par.
#15 (the last full hole I played) Driver just left of the fairway to 80 yards. Pull SW and put it in the middle of the green. 2 putt, par.
#16 Decide to play mashie off of the tee because I generally hit it very straight, and this is a narrow fairway that is dead if you go left. I pull it, catch a tree top on and drop straight down. I have a shot to advance it and get close to the green. I play mashie again, I hit it thin, it catches a root from the tree, and the ball hits me on the left foot (my back foot), right on the back knuckle of the big toe. I know immediately that it is broken. Can't finish, drive home without taking of my golf show, hitting the clutch was miserable. Get in the house, grab an ice pack, and take off my shoe. Grab the injured big toe, pull it out, hear and feel it pop back into place, and begin icing it for the night. Much better today, so maybe it was just dislocated and will be fine in a day or two. I really wish I could have finished because I was really starting to dial in, and hit the last 3 greens in regulation. I cannot believe how high I hit these, how quickly they get up, and how long they are. I know that my scoring does not show it, but that is because my short game let me down today. I really am hitting these very well, very straight, and where I want. I am loving them, and pain or not, I will get out to the range again in a couple of days, and play another round this weekend before I go on vacation.

Ouch! I hope it feels better soon.

Played 18 this weekend with the 2.0's. As a foreshadowing statement, I'll say that right now I have a Love/Hate relationship with these clubs, though there is more love than hate :D.

The round was played at Keith Hills CC from the Black (back) tee's. 71.6/129

Hole 1:
349 yard Par 4. 3W to 100. Forged wedge.

Hole 2:
409 yard Par 4. Hybrid/hybrid.

Hole 3:
360 yard Par 4. Driver to 80 yards. Play SW, swing a little too easy and leave it about 5 yards short of the green.

Hole 4:
189 yard Par 3. Play a 6I. I hit it and it felt great but I look up and see that I have pushed it a bit to the right. Luckily it clears the greenside bunker and lands just to the right of the green, pin high.

Hole 5:
349 yard Par 4. Hook my drive left but its still playable, 125 left to hole. Play a light PW that heads straight at the pin. Unfortunately, I left it about 10 yards short and in the bunker, DOH! It lands and is buried. I grab the SW, close the face just a bit and drive through the ball. It pops up nicely and rolls to within 10 feet.

Hole 6:
563 yard Par 5. Pull my drive left just a little bit again. Hybrid to 180. Play a 6I into the green. Hit it nicely and it just barely carries the back of the green.

Hole 7:
Nightmare hole. 188 yard par 3 onto a half island green. Right side is all water and behind is water. Pin is front so I decide to play a 7I. Now if you recall, I've had some problems pushing the ball. First ball I hit, splash! Pushed right hard, off the toe. I tell my dad I'll just play from the drop area but I want to keep hitting the 7I to make myself feel better about dunking one. Whack, splash, whack splash, whack splash. I now have lost 4 balls into the water. I'm fuming at this point walk back and grab a 6I. I drop a ball and cream it. It was a bit left and carried the hole by about 20 yards, so roughly 205. The love/hate relationship continues!!!

Hole 8:
407 yard Par 4. Hit nice drive to about 115 but its on the left in the thick rough. I grab a 9I and try to blast it out. Lands about 10 yards short of the green. Not a bad shot from the stuff I was in.

Hole 9:
495 yard Par 5. Good drive right down the middle. 210 left to the hole. Play hybrid and hook it into the water.

Hole 10:
408 yard Par 4. 3W to 140. Play a 9I. Hit it a bit fat and land about 10 yards short of the green.

Hole 11:
557 yard Par 5. Driver to 270. 3W to 30 yards. Play a SW onto the green. Pulled it a little bit but its still on the green.

Hole 12:
164 yard Par 3. Play an 8I and hit it flush. Lands on the green about 20 feet from the hole.

Hole 13:
297 yard narrow Par 4. Play driver and it catches the last tree on the left. About 100 left to the hole with tree overhanging and 2 bunkers in between myself and the green. Play a very easy 8 I and skip on to the front right of the green.

Hole 14:
377 yard Par 4. 3W to 140. Play a 9I and land it on the front of the green. 15 feet to pin.

Hole 15:
512 yard Par 5. Push my drive a bit right. Left with 250 to hole. Play hybrid out of trees and forged onto green.

Hole 16:
198 yard Par 3. Push a 5I badly right, 100 still left to the hole badly. Play a PW out of trees and to front of the green. Happy to get out with a bogey on that hole.

Hole 17:
393 yard Par 4. Perfect 3W to 150. Hit a great 9I that lands just off the green, straight over the pin.

Hole 18:
420 yard Par 4. Great 3W right down the middle to 175. The shot carries over water with a greenside bunker between myself and the green. Play a perfect 7I and it lands 10 feet from the pin.

Overall, not too great of a day but it was not the 2.0's causing (most of) the problems. I only had one 1 putt all day and 4 3 putts. Shot a 95 and wasn't really happy with it. The clubs are performing very well, however, I still need some more time to adjust to how they play. I'm still having a few too many pushes for my liking. I plan on bringing them to the range this week and testing them against my Diablo's, head to head. I'm quite interested in how this will turn out.

Stay tuned for the next review!!

Ouch dude! Hope that toe gets better!

Great to hear that you are getting some extra distance out of these and finally getting them dialed in.

Played 18 this weekend with the 2.0's. As a foreshadowing statement, I'll say that right now I have a Love/Hate relationship with these clubs, though there is more love than hate :D.

The round was played at Keith Hills CC from the Black (back) tee's. 71.6/129

Hole 1:
349 yard Par 4. 3W to 100. Forged wedge.

Hole 2:
409 yard Par 4. Hybrid/hybrid.

Hole 3:
360 yard Par 4. Driver to 80 yards. Play SW, swing a little too easy and leave it about 5 yards short of the green.

Hole 4:
189 yard Par 3. Play a 6I. I hit it and it felt great but I look up and see that I have pushed it a bit to the right. Luckily it clears the greenside bunker and lands just to the right of the green, pin high.

Hole 5:
349 yard Par 4. Hook my drive left but its still playable, 125 left to hole. Play a light PW that heads straight at the pin. Unfortunately, I left it about 10 yards short and in the bunker, DOH! It lands and is buried. I grab the SW, close the face just a bit and drive through the ball. It pops up nicely and rolls to within 10 feet.

Hole 6:
563 yard Par 5. Pull my drive left just a little bit again. Hybrid to 180. Play a 6I into the green. Hit it nicely and it just barely carries the back of the green.

Hole 7:
Nightmare hole. 188 yard par 3 onto a half island green. Right side is all water and behind is water. Pin is front so I decide to play a 7I. Now if you recall, I've had some problems pushing the ball. First ball I hit, splash! Pushed right hard, off the toe. I tell my dad I'll just play from the drop area but I want to keep hitting the 7I to make myself feel better about dunking one. Whack, splash, whack splash, whack splash. I now have lost 4 balls into the water. I'm fuming at this point walk back and grab a 6I. I drop a ball and cream it. It was a bit left and carried the hole by about 20 yards, so roughly 205. The love/hate relationship continues!!!

Hole 8:
407 yard Par 4. Hit nice drive to about 115 but its on the left in the thick rough. I grab a 9I and try to blast it out. Lands about 10 yards short of the green. Not a bad shot from the stuff I was in.

Hole 9:
495 yard Par 5. Good drive right down the middle. 210 left to the hole. Play hybrid and hook it into the water.

Hole 10:
408 yard Par 4. 3W to 140. Play a 9I. Hit it a bit fat and land about 10 yards short of the green.

Hole 11:
557 yard Par 5. Driver to 270. 3W to 30 yards. Play a SW onto the green. Pulled it a little bit but its still on the green.

Hole 12:
164 yard Par 3. Play an 8I and hit it flush. Lands on the green about 20 feet from the hole.

Hole 13:
297 yard narrow Par 4. Play driver and it catches the last tree on the left. About 100 left to the hole with tree overhanging and 2 bunkers in between myself and the green. Play a very easy 8 I and skip on to the front right of the green.

Hole 14:
377 yard Par 4. 3W to 140. Play a 9I and land it on the front of the green. 15 feet to pin.

Hole 15:
512 yard Par 5. Push my drive a bit right. Left with 250 to hole. Play hybrid out of trees and forged onto green.

Hole 16:
198 yard Par 3. Push a 5I badly right, 100 still left to the hole badly. Play a PW out of trees and to front of the green. Happy to get out with a bogey on that hole.

Hole 17:
393 yard Par 4. Perfect 3W to 150. Hit a great 9I that lands just off the green, straight over the pin.

Hole 18:
420 yard Par 4. Great 3W right down the middle to 175. The shot carries over water with a greenside bunker between myself and the green. Play a perfect 7I and it lands 10 feet from the pin.

Overall, not too great of a day but it was not the 2.0's causing (most of) the problems. I only had one 1 putt all day and 4 3 putts. Shot a 95 and wasn't really happy with it. The clubs are performing very well, however, I still need some more time to adjust to how they play. I'm still having a few too many pushes for my liking. I plan on bringing them to the range this week and testing them against my Diablo's, head to head. I'm quite interested in how this will turn out.

Stay tuned for the next review!!

Sounds like a real up and down round for you buddy. I hope you can figure out what is causing the pushes, because it sounds like when you hit them straight, you are hitting them very well.

Some good looking reviews, even if all the results aren't wanted by the posters. Glad the toe may not be broken. It sounded gross when it hit you and I know you were hurtin'. Jeff, some solid range time to dial in distances will make much more comfy with the 2.0's

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'd still say that 6i and shorter clubs are much easier to play than the 5i and 4i. I've proposed elsewhere that this is why TM give away 6i demo clubs... best distance-to-ease trade-off. As I posted to the previous test thread, has anyone found the shaft lengths to feel uncomfortably long in the longer irons?

Bobby...I personally think that the 4i and 5i of this set are incredibly easy to hit compared to any other set I've tried. I think 6 irons are standard fare for demos across most manufacturers. I'm not sure if it is the offset on the 4i or what, but I almost prefer it to a hybrid of the same loft.

Back