Fairway Woods better than Hybrids in the rough - Am I alone?

Condorll

Golf Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently bought a Ping K15 Driver and K15 5 wood to replace a box set driver and 3 wood. I get better distance and accuracy from both and can really bomb the 5 wood.

I no longer slice or fade much with the new driver so when I am off the fairway I am usually 5 yards max into the first cut rough.

Playing out of the rough several rounds ago I started using the K15 5 wood instead of my box set hybrids and lo and behold....the 5 wood is fabulous!
I am now thinking of picking up at K15 7 wood (and 6-PW irons) and totally eliminate my 4 and 5 hybrids.

Am I alone out there using Fairway woods from the rough instead of hybrids?

It is definitely a personal preference thing and depends on what you hit better and what you have confidence in. I think it is also a given that certain hybrids are better than others and perform differently out of rough. Personally, I have better success with the Mashie M3 out of the rough than I do with a 5 wood.

Hybrid all day for me, very rarely will I hit a fairway wood from the deck let alone the rough. Much easier to hit my hybrid from the rough

It is definitely a personal preference thing and depends on what you hit better and what you have confidence in. I think it is also a given that certain hybrids are better than others and perform differently out of rough. Personally, I have better success with the Mashie M3 out of the rough than I do with a 5 wood.

I agree with this. It all depends on the type of hybrid you have, but generally the hybrids are WAY better out of the rough (or easier to hit in general).

Last edited:
Hybrid all day for me, very rarely will I hit a fairway wood from the deck let alone the rough. Much easier to hit my hybrid from the rough

Same as MileF rarely use the 3 wood.

I NEVER hit my woods out of the rough. Usually go with hybrid or iron.

I like to hit the fairways if the ball is perched up a bit. It's almost like a free tee shot.

Maybe it's the very low and wide profile of the K15 5 wood that helps get the ball up and out.
It's a rocket launcher (for me), everyone in my foresome always gaze in amazement!
I have to check out the 7 wood....

Maybe it's the very low and wide profile of the K15 5 wood that helps get the ball up and out.
It's a rocket launcher (for me), everyone in my foresome always gaze in amazement!
I have to check out the 7 wood....

By all means then definitely check out the 7w if the 5w is working so well! All about confidence and being able to execute the shot you want.

depends how it is setting up. More then likely the hybrid will be a better choice but if i'm in the rough from that distance i'd prolly play it safe and layup unless its a wide open hole.

I think it also depends on the severity of the rough.....no way you could consistantly hit a FW out of the thick Bermuda rough around here....hybrid all the way for me.

Last edited:
At first I hated my hybrid, but now I love it. I cant hit my fairway wood out of the rough nearly as well I can with the hybrid.

Hey if it works for you then keep doing what you do. Hybrids were designed for trouble shots but if your FW works better then you have your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Everything is subjective in golf. I like a hybrid out of the rough much better than a wood.

depends how it is setting up. More then likely the hybrid will be a better choice but if i'm in the rough from that distance i'd prolly play it safe and layup unless its a wide open hole.

I agree. If it's sitting down in gnarly rough, I'd go with an iron over even a hybrid. But if it's sitting up nice, I don't hesitate to take a wood out.

Could have something to do with my over 20 HDCP!

I like woods much better out of any lie. I just don't like hybrids.

I agree with this. It all depends on the type of hybrid you have, but generally the hybrids are WAY better out of the rough (or easier to hit in general).

Maybe for some people but for me I have carried several hybrids; Adams, Nickent, Taylormade, and a Mashie but hook 'em pretty bad. They are easy to hit in rough but I prefer my irons, two of my best shots today were a three iron from bermuda rough and a five wood from bermuda rough. I'm going to keep trying to learn to hit hybrids because everyone says they are so easy to hit.:banghead:

It has to be preference . I love My hybrids in the rough . Heck I might be taking my wood out in favor of the Yonex 3 Hybrid.

As others have already pointed out, I'll use anything from a 3 wood to sand wedge, depending on the lie, length of the rough, length of the shot, etc.

I have the K15 7 wood and its smooth out of the rough. Even better than the 5 wood. Much better for me than any hybrid. From the fairway I generally prefer the hybrids. Whatever works!

I really think, as everyone has said to each his own. I find the hybrids much easier to hit out of the rough than anything else I have. My machspeed seems to work really well out of the rough

As has already been stated many times, there are all kinds of factors that determine which club will work best (lie, type of rough, etc). BUT in general, a hybrid should cut through the thick stuff better than a fairway wood for the simple reason that its less surface area to slow down the clubhead. So if the rough is tall, or thick, and/or your ball is sitting down, I think the hybrid will work better in most cases. Particularly if you use a hybrid like the Mashie with the rails that help it cut through the rough.

For me, the ball has to be sitting on top of the rough for me to hit an effective fairway wood shot. If the ball is somewhat buried, I immediately go to a hybrid because it can cut through the rough a lot more efficiently than a FW can for me. One thing, I have a tendency to hook hybrids from the rough and slice FW's if it's a bad swing. However, I have many more good shots with hybrids from the rough than FW.

Back