3 Day Golf School

Caper

Reaction score
Handicap
My girlfriend and I are interested in attending a 3 day golf school next summer at the Canadian Golf Academy on Prince Edward Island. The CGA is the #1 golf teaching facility in all of Canada. Their facilities are just excellent!

There is a 3 day couples school they offer for just under $1,500 for the couple, taxes in. Here is what it features:

"By far our most popular program! If you are looking for a complete game tune up that also addresses topics such as the mental game, club fitting, on course coaching, as well as full swing review each day… this program is for you!"
  • Complimentary gift package upon arrival
  • Includes lunch each day at the Fox Meadow Golf Course Dining Room
  • $20 Gift Card from Fox Meadow Golf Course redeemable in their pro shop
  • 21 hours of instruction
  • Putting, chipping, pitching, full swing, sand play, specialty shots, psychology of golf, club fitting seminar, how to practice, on course coaching and playing skills.
  • Computerized video analysis of full swing
  • Personalized learning manual
  • Maximum of 4:1 student to coach ratio

It seems like a fairly extensive, in-depth package for the money, though it is expensive. Subtracting the gift card and meals that are included, it works out to roughly $30 an hour each which I believe is a good price.

I have been playing for the last 2.5 years and never had a lesson. My girlfriend just picked up the game last year and she has never had a lesson either. We are really hoping it can take our games to the next level on many levels!

Thoughts? Is it worth it?

Just by reading that, I think it is well worth it if both of you are serious about improving your game. I am seriously contemplating starting some lessons to get a new look at things.

Wow 23, and 8.5 HI and only playing 2.5 years and never had a lesson...great stuff. As to the three day school...sound good to me. :)

Wow 23, and 8.5 HI and only playing 2.5 years and never had a lesson...great stuff. As to the three day school...sound good to me. :)

Thanks. I am really hoping the lessons can improve my game since all I know is basically self taught from trying out different things. My girlfriend is pretty good too. She has played probably 20 rounds total and has come close to breaking 100 several times. She has shot on average 105 over her last 8 rounds. I really think with proper lessons she will consistently be shooting in the low 90's and high 80's. I am so impressed with her game. She played her first tournament with less than 10 rounds under her belt and finished second in her division! She just loves the game and I really enjoy playing with her.

Go for it...Sounds really good

Sounds like an amazing event. That's a lot of golf instruction. You should be able to make some serious improvements in your game. I'd say if you got the dime---make the time.

Sounds like an amazing event. That's a lot of golf instruction. You should be able to make some serious improvements in your game. I'd say if you got the dime---make the time.

That is it in a nutshell to me too, everything sounds good you just need to decide if you want to spend the money. If I were in your shoes I would do it.

I went to a Ben Sutton golf school for a week several years ago. 6 hours a day of practice, 9-12 & 1-4. One hour of 100 yd shots, 1 hr of 150 yd shots, 1 hr of green side bunkers, 1 hr of chip shots from various lies, 1 hr of putting with some contests (for lunch, drinks, etc.) and 1 last hour of fairway 3W shots and full shots.

I LOVED it. I have NO fear of bunkers now!

I think you'll love it, AND improve also!

That is a LOT of instruction and you have to be aware you will not retain all the information so the value is a little skewed to me. Sure it's only $30 hour but that's a lot of learning to retain in only three days.

If you really want to get better and do have the time, take a full season of lessons with a coach. Most CPGA professionals have full season packages that are lower priced than that. You will be able to retain more information and having your coach watch your development over the season is very important. You have a personal swing coach not unlike PGA Tour player.

In the end, it all comes down to being patient and committed to playing better golf.

That is a LOT of instruction and you have to be aware you will not retain all the information so the value is a little skewed to me. Sure it's only $30 hour but that's a lot of learning to retain in only three days.

If you really want to get better and do have the time, take a full season of lessons with a coach. Most CPGA professionals have full season packages that are lower priced than that. You will be able to retain more information and having your coach watch your development over the season is very important. You have a personal swing coach not unlike PGA Tour player.

In the end, it all comes down to being patient and committed to playing better golf.

I see what you mean, and your point it valid. The only thing is that the "golf season" for me next summer will literally be a month and a half to two months depending on the weather. I juts think that the weekend with video and a personal manual will give me something to look back on. Also, I am not sure the instructors where I am are that great. I have never heard anyone talk about a great golf teacher around here.

I see what you mean, and your point it valid. The only thing is that the "golf season" for me next summer will literally be a month and a half to two months depending on the weather. I juts think that the weekend with video and a personal manual will give me something to look back on. Also, I am not sure the instructors where I am are that great. I have never heard anyone talk about a great golf teacher around here.

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind!! :wink:

to much to take in in three days, go to your local PGA pro take a 30 min lesson go to the practice range and work on what you talked about.

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind!! :wink:

Well, we were planning on going, I just wanted to gage people's opinions around here to see if they thought it was a good idea and worth the money. I do like Jordan's suggestion though and might actually combine it with my idea. I will most likely go the the golf school next year and the years after that, I would have a swing coach.

The main reason for the school is my girlfriend. She wants to learn as much as she can in as little time as she can and this just seems like the most fitting idea.

to much to take in in three days, go to your local PGA pro take a 30 min lesson go to the practice range and work on what you talked about.

It may be too much for you to take in, but I think our fine friend here will have fun and learn a ton.

Good luck again!

Well, we were planning on going, I just wanted to gage people's opinions around here to see if they thought it was a good idea and worth the money. I do like Jordan's suggestion though and might actually combine it with my idea. I will most likely go the the golf school next year and the years after that, I would have a swing coach.

The main reason for the school is my girlfriend. She wants to learn as much as she can in as little time as she can and this just seems like the most fitting idea.

Well it depends. If she has the basic motion and understands what the golf club is doin in the swing, than go for it. If not, she could feel overwhelmed very easily.

Well it depends. If she has the basic motion and understands what the golf club is doin in the swing, than go for it. If not, she could feel overwhelmed very easily.

Yeah she does. She actually has a pretty nice swing for someone who has never played before. I attribute it to her baseball/softball background. She played since she was 6 or 7. Here is a video of her swing:

[video=youtube;B-bCxradHqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-bCxradHqI[/video]

Yeah she does. She actually has a pretty nice swing for someone who has never played before. I attribute it to her baseball/softball background. She played since she was 6 or 7. Here is a video of her swing:

[video=youtube;B-bCxradHqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-bCxradHqI[/video]

Thats incredible. Her swing is more technically sound than alot of people who have been playing for a very long time. If shes smart enough, which Im sure she is, that I think she'll do just fine!

In 20 rounds she has gone from shooting 130's (when she started) to low 100's, on the verge of breaking 100. And she only plays once every week or two. If she played a few times a week she would definitely be shooting in the 90's all the time.

Back