What have you or are willing to give up to continue to play golf?

hjimzaf

I beat the Razr Challenge
Reaction score
Handicap
I play every Friday and every other Saturday or Sunday, So about 5-6 rounds a month. I start a new job in a few weeks that's about a third less pay than my previous job. Also, my wife is 8 months pregnant with our first child. My wife said that if I want to keep playing that much, I have to make some cuts somewhere. So far I have given up my iPhone for a a cheaper phone and plan, and I've dropped to basic cable. The Golf Channel is included with basic so I still have that. I'm also gonna trade in my 2008 BMW 328i Coupe for a cheaper car, plus it's not family friendly. What have you guys given up?

Not enough. If Im going to be a golf professional, I need to spend alot more time practicing and playing.

not nearly as much as you, Im the bread winner here so the wife can just deal with it lol

IN all seriousness, as with many folks, its tough some months, but always seems to work out ok without golf sufering too much

I have a very awesome wife who understands this is my hobby and passion, and for the most part supports me as long as Im not driving us into bankruptcy

My life.

Well I golf every weekend Sat & sunday & during week. Try to get 4 rounds a week. Since I took up golf 4years ago. I do odds and ends to make extra so it doesnt impact household budget. I have been very fortunate. My nieghbors asked to to maintain their lawns because of how I took care of mine. So that supports the majority of my golf habit. It also doesnt hurt that I met some fantastic people & now I get to golf for cheap. I would do anything so my golf wouldnt have to be cut.....

My Sanity:D

My paychecks.. Seriously though going out to the bars a lot and stuff and going to harrahs and playing roulette.. The thing is I love golf way more than those 2 things.

Tap tap taparoo

Not much really. As serious as I am about improving my game, I don't know that I would put it before anyone or anything. It still a game and a hobby. If my kids wanted to stop playing today and get into something else I would follow. They are only young once.

I golf at a minimum of once/week, probably more like 1.5 rounds/week on average. To give this up or reduce it significantly it would have to have something to do with my child. My son is about the only thing I love more than golf, (sorry honey!). I am at my happiest when I'm golfing, I hope I never have to give it up.

What would I give up?

I gave up golf itself for 2 1/2 years because of this recession. I lost my business and for a while I almost lost my house.

Things are better now, but we're far from out of the woods. I'm playing now but just once a week and if I can and I try to get in at least one trip to the range as well.
My wife understands that golf is my passion as well, but if push comes to shove financially, golf loses and that's that. I love golf and it's very important to me, but I can't justify going into hock to play it.

It's simply not THAT important.

I love golf so much I would give up golf just to keep playing.

Actually, being in a real estate related field which has been somewhat devastated, we have curtailed our spending on pretty much everything other than golf. We have our membership, quality clubs, and my daughter gets her lessons and tournaments payed for, and whatever equipment she needs.

We shop frugally, don't eat in restaurants often, and rarely make impulse buys. We still do okay because I've been doing what I do for a long time and am fairly well known locally in my field, but we used to not be too frugal when times were better for real estate and lending in general. Golf is too important to my family to let it go.

If i had to, I would turn to crime. Maybe become a hit man. The hours seem good as you only need to take a job once in a while.

Kevin

I joined a club a few weeks ago to keep costs down with the amount of rounds I play now, plus all the range time. I also, quit smoking, stopped eating lunches out at work, and I never impulse buy things anymore. My wife and I rarely eat out and try and save money one cause I love to golf, and two so she has some fun money for things she likes to do, as we both work hard and deserve some fun in our lives.

I joined a club a few weeks ago to keep costs down with the amount of rounds I play now, plus all the range time. I also, quit smoking, stopped eating lunches out at work, and I never impulse buy things anymore. My wife and I rarely eat out and try and save money one cause I love to golf, and two so she has some fun money for things she likes to do, as we both work hard and deserve some fun in our lives.

It's amazing how much money you can save by eating at home. Hell, we used to eat out four or more times a week for long periods. One of the reasons I gained so much weight. The cost of cigarettes is unbelievable, and man, you live in Canada where they're beyond unbelievable. That's next on my list.

Kevin

It's amazing how much money you can save by eating at home. Hell, we used to eat out four or more times a week for long periods. One of the reasons I gained so much weight. The cost of cigarettes is unbelievable, and man, you live in Canada where they're beyond unbelievable. That's next on my list.

Kevin

I didn't know you were a fan of the little stick, but ya, up here I was smoking a pack a day at $11.50 per pack. NOT A CHEAP HABIT!

If i had to, I would turn to crime. Maybe become a hit man. The hours seem good as you only need to take a job once in a while.

Kevin

You could start an Eldrick thread or two. Those should be a crime.

Kevin

Just out of idle curiosity, what DO cigarettes cost in Canada?

I'd be interested to know because here they cost a fortune as well.

(And yes, just like you, they're next on MY list as well)

I work a minimum wage :poop: job so I can be at the club and ready to play right when I'm off work. As well I do it so I don't have to work full time.

$7.00 here. When I fished in Canada I could not believe how expensive booze and smokes were. Got to pay for that health care. LOL. And when I went to Ontario in '06, your dollar was crushing ours. It was a really expensive trip to get to the boat but not land a 40-45 pound musky.

Kevin

I didn't know you were a fan of the little stick, but ya, up here I was smoking a pack a day at $11.50 per pack. NOT A CHEAP HABIT!

THIS!!!

Just out of idle curiosity, what DO cigarettes cost in Canada?

I'd be interested to know because here they cost a fortune as well.

(And yes, just like you, they're next on MY list as well)

Coolbreeze said $11.50. I paid that in NYC I think. $7.00 here in Cheeseland.

Kevin

Like many of you I'm in what I like to call a "transitional" period right now. Been layed off for awhile and am currently starting a new business, so financially things are very uncertain. Golf has just become my only hobby for right now. I used to snowboard alot, but lift tickets have gotten pretty expensive. We don't eat out very often, don't really go out much anymore. As a result I play a couple times a month, not really enough to improve, but enough to not regress. It's really made me appreciate my time spent playing.

Coolbreeze said $11.50. I paid that in NYC I think. $7.00 here in Cheeseland.

Kevin

Wow...

Well at least I'm not alone. Here on Long Island cigs average about $10.00 a pack but I try to buy them at the local Indian reservations where they sell for $6.50 to $7.00.

Either way, it's become a very expensive habit and I think it's time to seriously think about quitting.

Of course since I don't drink and I'm happily married that would leave me with ZERO vices, so I guess golf would have to be re-classified as an official addiction in order for me to have at least one vice working. :D

:golf2:I gave up my marriage, does that count

I gave up dating. I started playing after my last relationsh*t ended.

Taaaaap-a-talk....tap tap taaap-a-talk....give it a little tap-a-rooonie...

Back