DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

Hey @rally-cap . I’m in Aledo too. Split Rail is my favorite. Squaw Creek is close and good too. Whitestone is troublesome. 8 min intervals and constantly backed up. Decent track, but always slow. Pecan Valley in Benbrook has 36, and is really a hidden gem.
@rally-cap
Agree on Pecan, River course gets the most play (and is the nicer of the 2), but the Hills course is more fun to play. Oeste Ranch should be really close if you are in Aledo, worth a play. Sugar Tree and Canyon West are west of you and are highly recommended plays. Hawks Creek is closer to downtown FTW and is another good option for you.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hey @rally-cap . I’m in Aledo too. Split Rail is my favorite. Squaw Creek is close and good too. Whitestone is troublesome. 8 min intervals and constantly backed up. Decent track, but always slow. Pecan Valley in Benbrook has 36, and is really a hidden gem.

I've seen Split Rail, but I thought it was a private course? Can a non-member get a tee time? Squaw Creek is my next planned round - I went out there a week or so ago to just check the place out and hit some at the range. Seems like a nice spot - and my company is part of the CERA program thing that gets you discounted rates, so I'll have to take advantage of that. Good to know on Whitestone. And I'll have to check out Pecan Valley, thanks for the tip!

@rally-cap
Agree on Pecan, River course gets the most play (and is the nicer of the 2), but the Hills course is more fun to play. Oeste Ranch should be really close if you are in Aledo, worth a play. Sugar Tree and Canyon West are west of you and are highly recommended plays. Hawks Creek is closer to downtown FTW and is another good option for you.

Thanks for the info on Pecan Valley, I'll have to check that out! I played Oeste Ranch on Easter Sunday afternoon, it was a nice course, I just wasn't a fan of the no range for warmup, so my first few holes were pretty bad... but still had a good time, I liked the layout and it wasn't super busy. I'll look into the other courses you mentioned as well. Thanks!

I may need to get out with you Ft Worth guys to try some new courses in the metroplex.

The golf boom has me being creative about finding new places to play. I've made the trek to Tangle Ridge a few times since March. I never would have driven 50 minutes to go play...but it's a really fun track, has great pace of play and is only $75. Which is a bargain for weekend golf these days.

Too many courses that used to be $65-$75 are $100+ on weekends these days. (Bridlewood, Sky Creek Ranch, Frisco Lakes, Coyote Ridge, etc)

I may need to get out with you Ft Worth guys to try some new courses in the metroplex.

The golf boom has me being creative about finding new places to play. I've made the trek to Tangle Ridge a few times since March. I never would have driven 50 minutes to go play...but it's a really fun track, has great pace of play and is only $75. Which is a bargain for weekend golf these days.

Too many courses that used to be $65-$75 are $100+ on weekends these days. (Bridlewood, Sky Creek Ranch, Frisco Lakes, Coyote Ridge, etc)
I assume you've played Waterchase and Texas Star? IMO these are 2 of the hidden gems (price/conditions/layout) on the FTW side of town. I venture all over too, even getting @Nate to come to Tarrant County to play...lolol. Rumor is, I got him to go to Cleburne...but don't tell anyone...

I assume you've played Waterchase and Texas Star? IMO these are 2 of the hidden gems (price/conditions/layout) on the FTW side of town. I venture all over too, even getting @Nate to come to Tarrant County to play...lolol. Rumor is, I got him to go to Cleburne...but don't tell anyone...

Yep! Two of my favorite courses in the metroplex. I'm playing Waterchase on Sunday. Texas Star is such a hidden gem. It's crazy how you go from the middle of an industrial park to course that feels totally isolated. And they've kept their prices pretty much the same when a lot of courses have hiked them.

Waterchase is my favorite course so far.

I always hate telling people about it so that it remains "hidden"....but I agree, never disappoints, always in great condition, and the price (even on weekends/holidays) is excellent. Kinda comical that other local courses charge the same OR MORE and offer worse conditions for poorly laid out tracks.

I always hate telling people about it so that it remains "hidden"....but I agree, never disappoints, always in great condition, and the price (even on weekends/holidays) is excellent. Kinda comical that other local courses charge the same OR MORE and offer worse conditions for poorly laid out tracks.

That makes me want to break out a list......

Here is my personal DFW best and worst 'bang for the buck courses....

Best Value

All of these courses are $85 or less for a weekend round, have excellent layout/conditions and pace of play

Waterchase
Tangle Ridge
Texas Star
Pecan Hollow
Grapevine (tough to get on though)

Worst Value

All charging over $100 for courses that are good, not elite. On my current no fly list for weekend golf.

Frisco Lakes
Coyote Ridge
Bridlewood
Sky Creek Ranch
Tour 18 (always hit or miss on conditions)
Wildhorse (Robson Ranch)

The golf boom has changed the landscape. Courses are jam packed. The conditions on a lot of them haven't improved. Even if you look for a budget friendly option, you're looking at a full tee sheet that's often backed up with 8-minute tee times. Maybe it'll thin out a bit when the heat hits, but if feels like this spring has been busier than ever.

I'm looking to get in more weekday golf now that the time has changed. I used to be reluctant to drive more than 30 minutes to a course. Now I'm going to drive all over the metroplex to try to new tracks.

Best Value

All of these courses are $85 or less for a weekend round, have excellent layout/conditions and pace of play

Waterchase
Tangle Ridge
Texas Star
Pecan Hollow

Worst Value

All charging over $100 for courses that are good, not elite. On my current no fly list for weekend golf.

Frisco Lakes
Coyote Ridge
Bridlewood
Sky Creek Ranch
Wildhorse (Robson Ranch)

The golf boom has changed the landscape. Courses are jam packed. The conditions on a lot of them haven't improved. Even if you look for a budget friendly option, you're looking at a full tee sheet that's often backed up with 8-minute tee times. Maybe it'll thin out a bit when the heat hits, but if feels like this spring has been busier than ever.

I'm looking to get in more weekday golf now that the time has changed. I used to be reluctant to drive more than 30 minutes to a course. Now I'm going to drive all over the metroplex to try to new tracks.

I would add Mansfield and southern oaks maybe hawks creek. If you care to drive wayyy south white bluff is also incredible for the price.

Best Value

Waterchase
Tangle Ridge
Texas Star
Pecan Hollow

Worst Value

Frisco Lakes
Coyote Ridge
Bridlewood
Sky Creek Ranch
Wildhorse (Robson Ranch)

Waterchase and Tangle Ridge are great courses. I played Texas Star once in a company scramble and I can't remember one damn thing about that course lol. No clue why.

I would add Mansfield and southern oaks maybe hawks creek. If you care to drive wayyy south white bluff is also incredible for the price.

I've never played those courses, but want to. I'll add them to my list for this year.

Waterchase has some wicked short holes, bit love fighting my way around, it is always a gem

Best Value

Waterchase
Tangle Ridge
Texas Star
Pecan Hollow

Worst Value

Frisco Lakes
Coyote Ridge
Bridlewood
Sky Creek Ranch
Wildhorse (Robson Ranch)

Solid list and I agree on how crowded courses are in the area. Covid impact here was huge, with remote work requirements...playing day golf became a way of life. Still is.

For weekend bookings, if you don't book at 2am 7 days in advance you aren't getting anything before 9am. Obvious sign booking services are being used, guess I need to get one too.

Couple other courses on FTW side worth a look include Split Rail in Aledo, Cross Timbers in Azle, Lake Arlington in Arlington, and Hawks Creek in Fort Worth.

I like Rockwood too, but have only played there once. Looks like they screwed up their greens though and have temporary greens for a while.

I've never played those courses, but want to. I'll add them to my list for this year.

This weekend and next are jam packed but I’m free after that if you need a +1

Best Value

Waterchase
Tangle Ridge
Texas Star
Pecan Hollow

Worst Value

Frisco Lakes
Coyote Ridge
Bridlewood
Sky Creek Ranch
Wildhorse (Robson Ranch)

I need to put some of those courses on my list to play. Pecan Hollow is only one from the Best Value list that I have played since I am on east side of the metro. Frisco Lakes is really a joke charging $120 for a round and really poor conditions.

If anyone finds themselves on the eastern part of the area, Buffalo Creek out here in Rockwall is in really good shape.

Also, if needing another to play, let me know, I am open to playing new courses in just about any area.

I need to put some of those courses on my list to play. Pecan Hollow is only one from the Best Value list that I have played since I am on east side of the metro. Frisco Lakes is really a joke charging $120 for a round and really poor conditions.

If anyone finds themselves on the eastern part of the area, Buffalo Creek out here in Rockwall is in really good shape.

Also, if needing another to play, let me know, I am open to playing new courses in just about any area.
did Frisco Lakes get too popular because of the Good Good guys playing out there on their solo channels?

did Frisco Lakes get too popular because of the Good Good guys playing out there on their solo channels?
Since I don't play there often, not entirely sure. Some have said they have invested some money on lighting their range and renovating the clubhouse. Their sister property that I play more often, Woodbridge in Sachse, also has light up range and new clubhouse/restaurant, but their prices did not go astronomical like Frisco Lakes.

Since I don't play there often, not entirely sure. Some have said they have invested some money on lighting their range and renovating the clubhouse. Their sister property that I play more often, Woodbridge in Sachse, also has light up range and new clubhouse/restaurant, but their prices did not go astronomical like Frisco Lakes.

I thought Woodbridge was part of the group with Westridge, Bridlewood and Sky Creek Ranch? Their prices are still pretty reasonable.

I haven't been out of Frisco Lakes since the prices went up. But the year before the range was a mess. They had issues picking balls due to the uneven terrain. There were periods the last few years where big areas of the fairways were infected with something that killed a lot of the grass. I can never remember being on that course thinking it was a $75 track....let alone what they are charging for it now.

The new PGA facility just opened. They are giving big discounts to Frisco residents. It'll be interesting to see what impact it has on Frisco Lakes pricing. Friend said Frisco Fields Ranch course resident weekday price is $139. If we the weekend price is within $50 of Frisco Lakes, it would be a no-brainer for residents.

I thought Woodbridge was part of the group with Westridge, Bridlewood and Sky Creek Ranch? Their prices are still pretty reasonable.

The new PGA facility just opened. They are giving big discounts to Frisco residents. It'll be interesting to see what impact it has on Frisco Lakes pricing. Friend said Frisco Fields Ranch course resident weekday price is $139. If we the weekend price is within $50 of Frisco Lakes, it would be a no-brainer for residents.
Very well could be, played with a member of Woodbridge one day and he mentioned Frisco Lakes being same as Woodbridge?

The PGA courses will certainly be in high demand, will definitely have to get there for a round.

Frisco Lakes is a really nice course. (y)

Has anyone been to Mansfield National?

Has anyone been to Mansfield National?
Played there a couple of years ago and have not gone back, course wa okay, price higher than the course, and the staff was extremely aloof and got the feeling i should say thank you for allowing me to be there

I will add i was with 3 others and we all arrived separate but all seemed to get the same type of vibe, i live north of Frisco and it was to meet some friends from south areas for a game. Too many courses up this way to play

Last edited:
Played there a couple of years ago and have not gone back, course wa okay, price higher than the course, and the staff was extremely aloof and got the feeling i should say thank you for allowing me to be there

I will add i was with 3 others and we all arrived separate but all seemed to get the same type of vibe
oof :unsure:

I've been wanting to play that course for the longest time. Hopefully, staff has changed.

The course we joined this year, Oak Hollow, the McKinney municipal course, will be redoing all 18 greens starting June 1. They don't anticipate reopening until mid-September. As a result, we are looking for somewhere else to play at a reasonable cost during the shutdown, and The Trails of Frisco seems to fit that bill based on their website. Anyone know what kind of shape it is in? Of course, it wouldn't take much to exceed the course conditions at Oak Hollow. o_O

Back