Callaway UPro MX GPS

I'm on my second MX and running on a MAC. I have noticed that it doesn't work on chrome browser very well. works ok on safari. Updated all my info and downloaded 4 pro courses OK. now when I connect everything comes up fine, callaway web site, connector green, shows connected, then the volume unmounts. connector shows green and still connected but won't sync because it's not mounted. Anyone else seen this? nothing on the trouble shooting site for callaway. I now have a new ticket into them. maybe we should start a new thread with problems and fixes?

I have noticed that it doesn't work on chrome browser very well.

No....it doesn't. This makes me :angry: because I really try to stay away from IE.

worked OK for me on Firefox, used the Promode a little bit this weekend. Course that I downloaded showed up pretty dark on teh screen, so switched over to basic mode for the rest of the round

worked OK for me on Firefox, used the Promode a little bit this weekend. Course that I downloaded showed up pretty dark on teh screen, so switched over to basic mode for the rest of the round

Mine looked dark as well. Since I was playing my home course I didn't need to rely on it though. Next week I'm playing a Trump course. I will report back after that round as I will ahve to rely on it more. I think I'm going to go ith a much higher backlighting setting and see waht happens.

I'm on my second MX and running on a MAC. I have noticed that it doesn't work on chrome browser very well. works ok on safari. Updated all my info and downloaded 4 pro courses OK. now when I connect everything comes up fine, callaway web site, connector green, shows connected, then the volume unmounts. connector shows green and still connected but won't sync because it's not mounted. Anyone else seen this? nothing on the trouble shooting site for callaway. I now have a new ticket into them. maybe we should start a new thread with problems and fixes?

I haven't seen this issue but on my MAC over the weekend it just stop syncing. I pull the USB from my HTC phone and it started to sync but never finished. After trying the Callaway provided USB again it just didn't register that the UPro was even connected. Now I'm getting annoyed.

after more checking. Firefox and chrome will not add rounds. by watching system.log and packets sent, it's only sending a few packets back and forth. Safari works OK. I don't even use IE it's so outdated for the MAC. would be nice if there was a log or error message explaining "initialization error" and give us a little more info. There must be some setting in firefox and chrome that need to be set.

well UPS finally delivered my unit and.....
Can't get it to register. It just hangs on the Connecting to PC... confirm sync on your computer. The connector app says Upro Initialization complete?
after awhile I get the error "problem communicating with UPRO, please check connection
I've tried it on a XP sp3 wkst and on a win 7 pc and no luck.

Guess I'll be on hold with Callaway tomorrow for hours LOL

I think the upro mx is like some cranky old European car that you either love or hate, like maybe a Fiat. This is my first golf GPS, so I'm having fun using it (it does help) and learning the quirks, but I think if this were my SECOND golf GPS I'd have tossed it a month ago. Aside from the petulant touchscreen and capricious scorecard, the power management remains my favorite "feature" to hate. Often I'll take it out of my pocket and it will show "entering powersave mode" -- but won't respond to the side buttons until it's actually powered down. Hey Callaway, how hard would it be to have the buttons work when I want to use my GPS! Of course, buttons that don't respond when pressed (both mechanical and virtual) seem to be the most consistent feature.

The biggest power management problem is that the mx cannot make up its mind how much power it has left. I just finished a nine hole course, using only distance measurements and tracking two shots per hole (no scorecard), and at the end of the round the mx reported I had 84% power left. I jumped back and forth to the main menu a few times to make sure the reading was consistent, and it was. But I knew there was no way it really had that much power, so I did a test. I powered the device off -- not sleep mode, complete shutdown -- and drove home. When I got home 15 minutes later, I turned on the mx again to check the power remaining. Now it reads 63% power left -- turning it on and off loses 21%? And don't get me started with power <25%, because I've never seen it. When it gets below 30%, the next time I turn it on, it seems to always say "power critically low -- charge or exchange battery." I do have a spare battery, but it's not really a spare -- it's a requirement for more than 18holes between recharges.

And I'm still waiting to have the software version 2.01 pushed to my device when I sync. And then I'll be waiting for 2.1 and (someday maybe!) 3.0.

Now excuse me while I go change the oil and adjust the carburetor on my upro mx.

for those experiencing dark pro mode courses - what is your backlight set to?

i turned mine up and it was easier to see the pro mode course. It is a little darker bc its actual imagery and not just a graphic.

i had the upro out sunday for the first time with pro mode. it is a nice unit. I love the size of it. I imagine once they get the bugs worked out it will replace the SGX for sure. 58 days till i have to renew - hope it gets fixed by then

Today I intend on putting the unit under the tire of my wife's SUV and running over it. The dang thing won't sync any longer and I refuse to spend more than 10 minutes on anyone's customer service line, I don't have the time for that garbage.

for those experiencing dark pro mode courses - what is your backlight set to?

I've tried 100%, and it's still very difficult to see. I put backlight back to 20% to save life, because the ProMode view was no easier to see with the higher power consumption. Even at 20% backlight, I cannot get 27 holes in a single charge.

I agree the size is the biggest draw for me. If I didn't want to have it in my pocket, I'd exchange this for the S3. Maybe someday the bugs will get worked out, but the lack of foresight by Callaway in releasing such a problem product (or worse, lack of giving a d**n) is disturbing.

Mine came in yesterday. Took some un/reinstalling of the upro connector software to finally get it to sync. Now, I guess I wait and see if Callaway gives me the 25 pro mode courses. I took it out on the course yesterday with basic mode and was somewhat impressed. The score tracking feature is nice, but time consuming. After seeing OEM Kevin's SGX sunday, I may go back to skycaddie if the upro fails to impress.

Mine came in yesterday. Took some un/reinstalling of the upro connector software to finally get it to sync. Now, I guess I wait and see if Callaway gives me the 25 pro mode courses. I took it out on the course yesterday with basic mode and was somewhat impressed. The score tracking feature is nice, but time consuming. After seeing OEM Kevin's SGX sunday, I may go back to skycaddie if the upro fails to impress.

interested to see what you think. I was thinking of adding one to the bag for The Morgan Cup.

interested to see what you think. I was thinking of adding one to the bag for The Morgan Cup.

I'm going to have Pro Mode this weekend for my rounds. The idea behind the upro is great if it works like it should. I will definitely post my thoughts in here Sunday evening.

I'm going to have Pro Mode this weekend for my rounds. The idea behind the upro is great if it works like it should. I will definitely post my thoughts in here Sunday evening.

nice!

I may be skimming here, but any chance when you get the pro mode you can take some pics of the screen while it's being used? This goes for anyone who has one.

Its a shame to hear of so many issues with this one. I have had the original UPRO since it came out and have never had one issue with it. Hopefully they come out with an update to fix everyone's issues.

has anyone looked (per callaway) at the files that reside on the mx? I found only 3 files in the root of the device
mac_chevron.icns, revision.xml and win_chevron.ico. And there is a folder called Client_Install which contains 0 files. Does that folder suppose to contain any files? If so can someone upload them? I have windows.
Thanks
p.s. also trying to get support from callaway via normal channels and their http://getsatisfaction.com/callawayuxplore/ support site.

nice!

I may be skimming here, but any chance when you get the pro mode you can take some pics of the screen while it's being used? This goes for anyone who has one.

I will try as well, the one course I did download was too dark

has anyone looked (per callaway) at the files that reside on the mx? I found only 3 files in the root of the device
mac_chevron.icns, revision.xml and win_chevron.ico. And there is a folder called Client_Install which contains 0 files. Does that folder suppose to contain any files? If so can someone upload them? I have windows.
Thanks
p.s. also trying to get support from callaway via normal channels and their http://getsatisfaction.com/callawayuxplore/ support site.

Thanks for posting the link, I'll give it a try before I run over the unit!

Thanks for posting the link, I'll give it a try before I run over the unit!

callaway tech Ryan has been helping me. But so far no go. Last update from him was 2 hours ago. They seemed overwhelmed!

callaway tech Ryan has been helping me. But so far no go. Last update from him was 2 hours ago. They seemed overwhelmed!

That's what $55M in the red will do for R&D. I'm suspecting there is an SGX in my future.

That's what $55M in the red will do for R&D. I'm suspecting there is an SGX in my future.
Still it is Callaway. I was expecting better from them : (

SGX is not perfect either man. I still got a consistent once a round stall on mine.

SGX is not perfect either man. I still got a consistent once a round stall on mine.

You know what, you just saved me coin. Our course is marked so dang good and we get a daily pin sheet with a + number from the front yardage I really don't need the unit at home, it's when I travel. Plus I like the stat tracking but that can be taken care of in excel.

I'm pretty laid back but the lousy introduction of this product has really left a bad taste in my mouth about Callaway.

You know what, you just saved me coin. Our course is marked so dang good and we get a daily pin sheet with a + number from the front yardage I really don't need the unit at home, it's when I travel. Plus I like the stat tracking but that can be taken care of in excel.

I'm pretty laid back but the lousy introduction of this product has really left a bad taste in my mouth about Callaway.

My best advice is give it some time. The SGX debut was about as bad as this one. Or go range finder.

Back