MOMENT OF TRUTH- The Championship

All4's

Need. More. Eagles.
Reaction score
Handicap
Well, the moment of truth has arrived for me. The Lexington City Championship starts tomorrow.

This is the tourney I circle on the calendar and work on my game for all year. My goal is to:

• Make the cut (Usually around 156-160)
  • Shoot four rounds in the 70's

My history:

2 years ago= missed cut and shot terrible the opening day (88, 80). Lots of nerves as it was my first serious tournament in years. The week before the tourney I shot -4 for the front 9 of the 1st course in the tourney and was hovering around 78's the entire month before it.

1 year ago= missed cut by a hair (82, 80). Dealt better with the nerves, but still let it affect my game. The week before I shot 71, 75, 73.

I've made a lot of progress this year. I got fitted for new clubs. I took 5 lessons from the best teacher I've ever worked with hands down. No part of my game is necessarily "weak" anymore and I don't rely as much on my driver and putter to make things happen.

So THP'ers; any last minute suggestions?

I'm a basket case.

Get drunk...like Tin Cup

Have fun! You have put in your homework so just go out there and play one shot at a time. Stay in the moment and don't push yourself into a frenzy. You got it so believe it and let it happen but don't force it.

Tips: 1 shot at a time and forget about the last shot (good or bad) because it is gone now.

Have fun - best of luck man!! Looking forward to hopefully a daily recap with how things progress.

Sounds like you've got the game, now it's just a matter of calming your nerves. Trust your swing. Trust yourself. It really is one shot at a time. I know, I just went through it.

Good luck from just down the road. Swing like your avatar and you'll be OK.

Tip #1, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. You play your game, and the score will take care of itself.
Tip #2, you know you play well, don't let nerves get you. It sounds like you have no problems shooting the scores you want, so don't let nerves get to you. It's just another day of golf, the score will take care of itself.
Tip #3, I strongly suggest you find a method to let bad shots and bad holes go. Some people simply take a deep breath, some just don't think about it, others pretty well meditate for a minute to clear their mind. Again, you know you play well, you know a bad shot or a bad hole will not destroy your round, and the score will take care of itself.

Good luck!

Somewhere in this tourney you will find yourself behind the eight ball....a tough bunker, behind a tree, a terrible lie. it could be anywhere, anyday. Just remember when all things look dire....use the force.

All great suggestions.

So to summarize thus far: deep breaths, play my game, forget the last hole, swing like Sam Snead and use the force.

Roger that.

Play within yourself and always make sure to add everything into your shot before pulling the trigger(wind, setup..) and make sure to know your shots and keep yourself out of trouble.

Good luck All4's! I've got a big tournament coming up in just over a week and I am a basket case too! Nerves are already kicking in, but that is usual for me and then they go away after the first hole of the tournament. Anyway, good luck we know you can do it!

Good luck this year, can't wait to hear how you win it!

No particular advice from me... but best of luck!!!

good luck!

take as a normal round of golf with your mates, dont build the tourny up to much in your head as it will only mess with your game.

best of luck of course

Enjoy yourself and just have fun

I tapatalk better then I golfatalk

Do what you love in the way you love to do it and success will take care of itself.

Good luck!

Good luck 4's. Cant wait to read about your 4 rounds in the 70's and your first Championship.

Back