Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

9 hole completed this evening.. Played the "tips" at my course in hopes of playing some of the longer irons into the hole.. I'll do my best to offer a reasonable breakdown while including some hole breakdowns.. I didn't hit the range prior to the round, so that cost me on the first fairway, but it went alright after that..

Hole #1 :: 443 yards - Par 4 :: Driver to center of fairway. 135 into pin with wind in face. 9 iron hit VERY fat about 100 yards. 54 degree to 5 feet. 1 putt for par.

Hole #2 :: 370 yards - Par 4 :: 3w to 140. PW slightly right of the flag onto hill (I was trying to hit it just slightly past the hill, not just slightly before the top of the hill) and sucks back about 10-15 feet. 2 putt for par.

Hole #3 :: 170 yards - Par 3 :: 7 iron hit thin, however, results are very strong. Right of the hole but short about 5 yards, sitting on very front of the fringe. 2 putt for par.

Hole #4 :: 551 yards - Par 5 :: Driver pulled to left heather. Closed a 3 iron and hit a low shot trying to draw it around a tree, but ended up straighter than intended. 5 iron from thick rough with a draw into left greenside bunker. Sand shot on green but heavy. 2 putt for 6.

Hole #5 :: 235 yards - Par 3 :: 3w past the hole, 3 putt bogey from probably 45 feet.

Hole #6 :: 403 yards - Par 4 :: Driver to 105 (it's a dogleg, and I worked the corner pretty well). 50 degree VR pro wedge to about 3 feet left pin high. Tough downhill putt sneaks by. in for par.

Hole #7 :: 412 yards - Par 4 :: Faded Driver to thick right rough, 155 from the hole. Pulled a 7 for overclub and managed to get it on the green. Putt stops short but on line. In for par.

Hole #8 :: 335 yards - Par 4 :: Driver to about 50 yards, with help from the left rough which was apparently like concrete. 54 degree bounces on shot, hit long but on the green about 25 feet away and downhill. Best putt of the day falls. Birdie.

Hole #9 :: 525 yards - Par 5 :: You may laugh, but I pulled the heck out of my tee shot after hearing a person press down on the cart break on the fairway to the left (i might have hit them if the shot wasn't directly into the tree line separating the two holes haha!).. Hitting 3 off the tee with a nice fade (hole doglegs right) leaving 205 to the flag on a downhill lie. 3 iron hit entirely too clean, runs long of the hole more into the middle, leaving a 40 footer downhill. Attention gone, 3 putt for a crowd pleasing double.

Final score 39, which I'll take playing the tips which play just under 3500 yards. The :nike: VR Pro's seem to be making a habit of getting me out of trouble, and I really like that. I love that I can still experience plenty of spin with my irons if well struck, and while I lost out on 'workability' with my 3 iron on one hole, it came up big on the final hole with a shot that would normally give me fits with the downhill lie.

Overall experience is once again very positive. I'll be playing again Friday and will update more then!

9 hole completed this evening.. Played the "tips" at my course in hopes of playing some of the longer irons into the hole.. I'll do my best to offer a reasonable breakdown while including some hole breakdowns.. I didn't hit the range prior to the round, so that cost me on the first fairway, but it went alright after that..

Hole #1 :: 443 yards - Par 4 :: Driver to center of fairway. 135 into pin with wind in face. 9 iron hit VERY fat about 100 yards. 54 degree to 5 feet. 1 putt for par.

Hole #2 :: 370 yards - Par 4 :: 3w to 140. PW slightly right of the flag onto hill (I was trying to hit it just slightly past the hill, not just slightly before the top of the hill) and sucks back about 10-15 feet. 2 putt for par.

Hole #3 :: 170 yards - Par 3 :: 7 iron hit thin, however, results are very strong. Right of the hole but short about 5 yards, sitting on very front of the fringe. 2 putt for par.

Hole #4 :: 551 yards - Par 5 :: Driver pulled to left heather. Closed a 3 iron and hit a low shot trying to draw it around a tree, but ended up straighter than intended. 5 iron from thick rough with a draw into left greenside bunker. Sand shot on green but heavy. 2 putt for 6.

Hole #5 :: 235 yards - Par 3 :: 3w past the hole, 3 putt bogey from probably 45 feet.

Hole #6 :: 403 yards - Par 4 :: Driver to 105 (it's a dogleg, and I worked the corner pretty well). 50 degree VR pro wedge to about 3 feet left pin high. Tough downhill putt sneaks by. in for par.

Hole #7 :: 412 yards - Par 4 :: Faded Driver to thick right rough, 155 from the hole. Pulled a 7 for overclub and managed to get it on the green. Putt stops short but on line. In for par.

Hole #8 :: 335 yards - Par 4 :: Driver to about 50 yards, with help from the left rough which was apparently like concrete. 54 degree bounces on shot, hit long but on the green about 25 feet away and downhill. Best putt of the day falls. Birdie.

Hole #9 :: 525 yards - Par 5 :: You may laugh, but I pulled the heck out of my tee shot after hearing a person press down on the cart break on the fairway to the left (i might have hit them if the shot wasn't directly into the tree line separating the two holes haha!).. Hitting 3 off the tee with a nice fade (hole doglegs right) leaving 205 to the flag on a downhill lie. 3 iron hit entirely too clean, runs long of the hole more into the middle, leaving a 40 footer downhill. Attention gone, 3 putt for a crowd pleasing double.

Final score 39, which I'll take playing the tips which play just under 3500 yards. The :nike: VR Pro's seem to be making a habit of getting me out of trouble, and I really like that. I love that I can still experience plenty of spin with my irons if well struck, and while I lost out on 'workability' with my 3 iron on one hole, it came up big on the final hole with a shot that would normally give me fits with the downhill lie.

Overall experience is once again very positive. I'll be playing again Friday and will update more then!

Sounds like a great round! Glad to see these are working so well for you.

Great write up - enjoyed the hole to hole recap!

Upside: I got to hit these with PX steels in them tonight. :love:
Downside: PX shafts are $40 a club upgrade here... :love-over:

Like them with the S300's by man do they come alive with PX's. I can see why CL loves the graphite shafts in them so much. I don't think I've hit a club that I like the "feel" on better, ever, including the Miura's I was trying out.

Buy these irons people. The testers are spot on with thier fantastic reviews

Yeah it's a tough sell on that upgrade eh Tuna? haha!

Nice to hear you had a great experience with them.. They really are THAT good.

Like them with the S300's by man do they come alive with PX's. I can see why CL loves the graphite shafts in them so much. I don't think I've hit a club that I like the "feel" on better, ever, including the Miura's I was trying out.
I like the DG in these, they work for me in this club. I do have a very strong bias to KBS right now and I wonder what the c-tappers would be like in these. I was going to order my VR's with the PJX/KBS but the DG just gave me a nicer launch and flight and saved me money. The mizuno optimizer picked them out as one of the three that I already mentioned above. For the price of these, you should be able to get whatever you want in them. Hehe. They are on sale for a great price right now, Nike is pushing these hard.

For some reason, I was sticking the PW right on the 'green' with these. 121.1 carry 121.8 roll. This was on a sim. However, that is pretty sick. Can it get better? I just think these are hot irons. I am looking forward to seeing how these hex grooves work. The blades feel solid and when hit solid; are pure.

I can relate to many testors, the blades are awesome. They are a tad smaller than my MB. Overall, I think the Nike has a smaller profile till the 3,4,5. The MC I have are a touch smaller. The pocket cavity is veiwable when addressing the long irons, but not enough to be any distraction. I also like that I am not losing any distance with these clubs. They are pretty and the great thing is the 'dial' in period was very short with me. You can really stick it to these clubs, and they give you that right back.

Decisions, decisions...

Buy these irons people. The testers are spot on with thier fantastic reviews

Did you hit the KBS Tours? I have them in my set and love them. Great "feel", great mid launch. It may not be true for you, but I prefer the KBS Tours over the PX for sure.

Yeah it's a tough sell on that upgrade eh Tuna? haha!

Nice to hear you had a great experience with them.. They really are THAT good.

Pretty much. Nike's sale is a fantastic price but the upgrade takes me back to the land of $1k and the fury of my better half. Still pondering though because as you said, they really are that good. I like players irons but had that bias against never picking up a blade. The 8-PW are just lasers though, I could hit whatever I wanted with them and I'm not a huge worker of the ball.

Mark: It's not like the DG's are bad for me, but I find as I get tired that the PX's hold up better for me. DG's are 5th down the list of iron shafts for me

Jeff: KBS's and I had our love afair but it is over and never to be again. I find I don't get along with them anymore now that I don't transition into my downswing so violently. When I did, they were golden.

Pretty much. Nike's sale is a fantastic price but the upgrade takes me back to the land of $1k and the fury of my better half. Still pondering though because as you said, they really are that good. I like players irons but had that bias against never picking up a blade. The 8-PW are just lasers though, I could hit whatever I wanted with them and I'm not a huge worker of the ball.

Mark: It's not like the DG's are bad for me, but I find as I get tired that the PX's hold up better for me. DG's are 5th down the list of iron shafts for me

Jeff: KBS's and I had our love afair but it is over and never to be again. I find I don't get along with them anymore now that I don't transition into my downswing so violently. When I did, they were golden.

Thanks for the reply. Well at least you gave them a try/considered them. I hate when a store only has a few options, so I was just making sure you gave them a thought. They are a deadly combination for me.

nice work man, 39 from the back is solid....darn 3 putts! Next time use the Top Flight XL Distance, its money from 45 feet

So I'm thinking back on my range time and my rounds so far with these irons. I feel like my turf interaction gets better and better the more I hit them. I was taking huge tracts of land the first night I hit them. The last 9 I played my divots were perfect. One chunky shot I think and that was it. How does everyone feel about the turf interaction on these bad boys?

nice work man, 39 from the back is solid....darn 3 putts! Next time use the Top Flight XL Distance, its money from 45 feet

God no! I need my swing thought.. I was off in another world on both of the first putts that lead to the 3 bangers..

Not cool haha!

So I'm thinking back on my range time and my rounds so far with these irons. I feel like my turf interaction gets better and better the more I hit them. I was taking huge tracts of land the first night I hit them. The last 9 I played my divots were perfect. One chunky shot I think and that was it. How does everyone feel about the turf interaction on these bad boys?

This is something I absolutely loved about these when I tried them out. They glide through turf, but are not too sharp or too "dull". They work very well. I take rather large divots and with some irons, find that it can be a problem of too fat or too thin. Not with the Pro Combos. They were that darn good.

I think it's got plenty to do with the swing weight and getting to know how they react and you bring them down into the shot, but I'm just thinking out loud for how it usually works for me..

I think they give me lots of confidence to put a good swing and avoid taking divots well behind the ball.

This is something I absolutely loved about these when I tried them out. They glide through turf, but are not too sharp or too "dull". They work very well. I take rather large divots and with some irons, find that it can be a problem of too fat or too thin. Not with the Pro Combos. They were that darn good.

I struggle with some irons just due to literally having the clubs stick into the ground on my follow through. That is how steep I can get. Good examples are the Adams Pro MB's and the Cally X-Forged 07's. My first few swings with these gave me chunks of dirt in my face. Getting more and more used to them and I've been extremely happy with my divots. My last round was absolutely perfect. These irons, thus far, are fantastic. I couldn't be happier. My wrist and fingers are excited for their future.

They have great turf interaction from what I recall. They should though, they are a players iron so the smaller sole will allow for that

I think it's got plenty to do with the swing weight and getting to know how they react and you bring them down into the shot, but I'm just thinking out loud for how it usually works for me..

I think they give me lots of confidence to put a good swing and avoid taking divots well behind the ball.

That could be Canadan. I have not gotten these weighed and I'm not sure I will just because I'm happy with them right now and I don't want any mental excuses to form. The Adams MB's were a heavy iron. I think it might be a combo of the weight and the leading edge.

Good question. I am not a big divot taker by any means...on an average shot, I pick it clean. On a great shot (as I happened to capture in the video the other night), I am catching ball first and then a nice divot - which is great for compression/spin, etc. I definitely am more apt to take a divot on the blades than on the split cavities just due to the angle of attack and type of shot I am trying to play.

I think, like you, I was taking some divots initially but that was because they were shots hit fat. Now that I have moved the ball back in my stance slightly, the contact I am having has improved substantially.

I struggle with some irons just due to literally having the clubs stick into the ground on my follow through. That is how steep I can get. Good examples are the Adams Pro MB's and the Cally X-Forged 07's. My first few swings with these gave me chunks of dirt in my face. Getting more and more used to them and I've been extremely happy with my divots. My last round was absolutely perfect. These irons, thus far, are fantastic. I couldn't be happier. My wrist and fingers are excited for their future.

They have great turf interaction from what I recall. They should though, they are a players iron so the smaller sole will allow for that

I agree with One-T about the sole, but one thing I have noticed is that sometimes with a few of the thinner soled irons, they can have too sharp of a leading edge for my game. Because of that, I have to either grind them down or look in other areas for irons. The CBs come to mind for me as having a leading edge that is prone to fat shots for my swing at the stock level.

These gave me no trouble.

I agree with One-T about the sole, but one thing I have noticed is that sometimes with a few of the thinner soled irons, they can have too sharp of a leading edge for my game. Because of that, I have to either grind them down or look in other areas for irons. The CBs come to mind for me as having a leading edge that is prone to fat shots for my swing at the stock level.

These gave me no trouble.

I would agree here, I recall hitting a lot of fat shots with the CB's. The problem I had with the Pro Combos is that I am not good enough of a golfer to game them. I needed the extra forgiveness in more of a GI type iron. To me, turf interation is important, but mostly on shots from the rough. You need something that gets through the rough easier, If its a fwy lie, ball first contact is what we aim for.

I would agree here, I recall hitting a lot of fat shots with the CB's. The problem I had with the Pro Combos is that I am not good enough of a golfer to game them. I needed the extra forgiveness in more of a GI type iron. To me, turf interation is important, but mostly on shots from the rough. You need something that gets through the rough easier, If its a fwy lie, ball first contact is what we aim for.

What is that?

CL, you have definitely been raving on these. hopefully we can get out soon, I want to see how well you are gaming them. Especially after you told me the shot shape you were hitting.

CL, you have definitely been raving on these. hopefully we can get out soon, I want to see how well you are gaming them. Especially after you told me the shot shape you were hitting.

I know I'm going to throw up a 100 when we get out there. I do swear I've been hitting them well lol

Back