What ball did you play your last round and what did you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played Maxfli Tour LC balls today. I hated them. I switched to the e6 ball halfway through. The only problem is that I bought 2 dozen of them because it was buy 1 get 1 free.

Tap tap taparoo

I played the TM Penta this morning in our Sunday skins game. Nice ball. Good distance off the tee for me and a fair amount of spin on the greens. Hard to be a free ball. Shot 81 for the third time this week.

I played Maxfli Tour LC balls today. I hated them. I switched to the e6 ball halfway through. The only problem is that I bought 2 dozen of them because it was buy 1 get 1 free.

Tap tap taparoo

I know what your feeling bro! I bought a dozen Burner TP balls last week thinking that they would suit my game. My 6 iron SS is about 80-84mph, so i thought the soft core would suit me good. I tried them out for a round and a half (yesterday was called off after 9 holes due to flooding) last weekend and yesterday but didn't feel that i was getting decent distance off the tee (the ball felt 'heavy' or hard with the driver) nor getting greenside spin. Anyway, i've put 3 of the sleeves on Ebay, so should get most of my money back, but it was worth it to try them out as they were only £20 per dozen.

The ball i use regularly is the Wilson Staff DX3 which is a mid range ball but only costs £14/doz. For comparison, the Noodle ball is about £10/doz. It gives very good distance, feels quite soft but a little 'clicky' (which i like) and is reasonable around the greens. However, a playing partner (whom i have a lot of respect for) commented that my ball was running out a lot more than it should for someone of my playing standard. So, since then i have been experimenting with different balls to achieve normal distance but with a little more control around the greens. The balls that i have tried are Bridgestone B330S which is probably the best so far, great distance, nice soft feel and very good around the greens but are just short of £30/doz (twice what i'm paying for the DX3's); the Taylormade Burner TP; Srixon Z star, balloons too much for me, poor stopping power around greens. I've also just bought a dozen Wilson Staff FG Tours but haven't had a play on the course with them yet but they feel (in the hand) very 'tacky' almost rubbery which i reckon will give them a ton of spin, and they were only £22/doz delivered. So. i'm hoping that i get decent distance too otherwise they will be going on Ebay too! I will update this post when i've tried them out properly.

The Bridgestones were a gorgeous ball to hit and great performance and i love the seamless cover technology (SCT) too, i think that is a very good innovation. Too expensive for me though. I might try some of the cheaper E5/6/7 balls to see if they play similarly.

Bridgestone E5...best bang for the buck as far as I see. Like the Bridgestone RXS but until I get to be a single digit handicap i'm not going to buy too many $40 plus a dozen golf balls. For a distance ball the E5 seems to have very good spin into the green for a so-called "cheap" ball.

Played my TM Penta! still love this ball. after talking to some guys today i think im gonna try the bridgestone B330 but its gonna have to really impress me to knock the Penta off the top of the list.

Played the Penta a week or so ago after watching the Furyk commercial. He seems real honest about playing whatever ball is best (coming from a long time Srixon guy), so I tried it out, and I thought it performed really well. I'll definitely tee up with this ball again in the near future.

Just played the Bridgestone B330-S and... WOW! It was almost as soft and spinny as my Penta, but got wayyy better distance off the tee and less spin. BEST FEELING OFF MY LONG IRONS. I feel like they took the short game of a Pro V1 and mixed it with the distance of a Top-Flite. Still prefer my Pentas, but just... WOW

Once again, the 330RX in Optic Yellow. Had some real stopping power on the wet/soft greens I played on yesterday.

Gamer V2.

I've only begun my search for a good ball at a decent price and I can only compare to the Noodle and HX Hot Bite. The Gamer V2 felt good, rolled good, and is longer than those 2 but didn't stop as well as the Hot Bite. Hopefully get to play again this week (and play a little better) for a better comparison.

switched from a Penta to an E5 for a round....
Ball went a little further but not as much stopping around the green..
The E5 is super quiet off the putter....
All in all, I shot the same score I normally do..not sure which one I will use this week

played a callaway solaire... it lasted the whole round
it was allergic to water 2x
and allergic to woods once
it also got me a few gir that i desperately needed
not too shabby off the tee either

played a callaway solaire... it lasted the whole round
it was allergic to water 2x
and allergic to woods once
it also got me a few gir that i desperately needed
not too shabby off the tee either

Not that it matters, but isn't that a women's ball?

I found a Z-Star on the course when I was looking for my last 330-S that I sent off into the nether that my home course calls "rough". It actually more resembles an un-mowed pasture.
Anyway, I played the Z-Star, and found it to be really good for my game. I got the 330-S from the THP testing last year, and I really liked it around the greens, but I suffered with it some from the tee. The Z-Star is a softer ball, and that helped me tremendously from the tee, and it was money on and around the greens. I generally play Trispeeds(tour and regualr) and AD333s, but this Z-Star is a whole new world. I seemed to get all the feel and straighness off the tee that I was missing with the 330-S, but still got all the control on shorter shots that I really liked in the 330-S. I'm going to have to try some more of them, and then find a way to justify the extra cost, because I think I love this ball.

TM Penta TP, like them so far, couldnt pass the Dicks 3 for 80 deal. I havent noticed any difference from the prov1x yet.

So is it just me, or does anyone else find it easier to find the white balls over the yellow ones? I played a Z-Star about 2 weeks ago, and went through 2 in 5 holes, and both shots were slight misses into the rough!

played the ixtour callaway. pretty good ball. end of round though looked like it went the hell though but it did make it. Wedges really peel paint but good distance good around greens just a very solid ball

Played two rounds last week with the TaylorMade Penta TP ball. Friend of mine who works at the Nevada Bob's in my local Sport Chek gave me a good deal on two dozen of them.

Normally I play Nike balls (playing the 20XI-X), but I think I'm switching over to the Taylormades.

I don't know if it was me swinging well or the ball itself, but my drives had a more consistent trajectory, and visually they seemed to have a more penetrating aspect to the flight. Distance wise, I'd say maybe 5-8 yards longer than the Nike on average. Iron play was where this thing shined for me. This was a much more controllable ball. I've had problems with premium balls and spin control in the past where some would spin too much, some would spin too little. It seemed like the Penta would spin with the amount that I intended to put on it, which saved me a shot or two around the greens in those rounds.

Putting wise, it played really true which I'd expect from a ball I'm paying that much for, and the feel was great.

I'm actually surprised how much I liked the balls. The rounds went well too. Par 70 course in round 1, shot 73, Par 71 course for round 2 and went 75.

Highly recommend trying these balls out if you have a chance.

Forgot to mention, these things seem pretty durable compared to say a ProV1 or even the 20XI-X's that I was playing. I had a couple shots tangle with the timber, and once I got to the green to finally inspect the ball, the marks were minimal at best.

Played the Callaway Tour i(s).... Ugh, I really didn't want to like it because the i(z) was doing it's thing but what a ball. I'm really tempted right now to go with that.

Bridgestone E6 here, hands down my favorite ball right now for my game.

Pinnacle Gold, Precision. It's always been a soft ball to hit, but I was surprised how much spin I was getting into some of the greens yesterday with it. It's still my favorite 'cheap' ball.

Played a Nike Mojo this weekend, was great off the tee and especially on my scoring irons. I was able to shoot one of my lowest scores of the season with it.

Penta-Solid, love this ball
Nike PD Soft---I hidden gem

It really is a soft ball. I like them Pinnacles.

Pinnacle Gold, Precision. It's always been a soft ball to hit, but I was surprised how much spin I was getting into some of the greens yesterday with it. It's still my favorite 'cheap' ball.

Agreed on the PD Soft. Nike makes some killer balls.

Nike PD Soft---I hidden gem

Did you play one long enough to really get to know it :D

I played a Callawy xi for 35 1/2 holes this weekend. I'll play them anytime but won't spend the $$$ for them (or any ball over $25 dz).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back