How do you get past Brand bias/dislike? Or do you?

I've gotta say I loves Mizuno everything for the longest time and when went to get back into golf I noticed TM had before a big player. I hit both brands when deciding which clubs to buy and now I'm sold on TM.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Better scores should rid you of that bias pretty quick! It's weird at first but you'll get over it. Look at my bag, it's got a nice mix. The ball doesn't know what hits it.

I agree here...Also my bag is mixed up right now..try the Ping i15 or K15. They might suite you better , who knows.

As a brand new golfer, I was brand agnostic when trying out clubs EXCEPT for Nike. I couldn't get my head around a shoe company making golf clubs. I went with Adams because they seemed like a nice and forgiving set to learn golf with.

I have Callaway Diablo envy though. Those are some really sweet looking clubs, and in a year or two once I've got my game down pat, hopefully I'll be able to upgrade to those.

If we based all of our thoughts about brands on the parent companies that owned them, there would be a whole lot of disappointed people. Tire companies, rubber companies, liquor companies, multiple footwear and apparel companies, etc...

I completely agree JB.

Taylormade is owned by ADIDAS
Cobra is owned by PUMA
Bridgestone is obvious
Cleveland and Srixon are owned by Sumitomo Rubber Industries
Titleist was owned by Fortune Brands who make fixtures and liquor among other things

I think the only pure companies (at least that I know of) are Adams and Callaway. Not many companies specialize in one area anymore and companies that get into golf at a high level definitely hire extremely qualified insiders. The brand may say X, but people like John Hoeflich are the actual people creating the clubs with a TON of R&D money coming from a company who can afford it.

I've had a Cleveland loyalty for some time now, but I have to agree with the other comments - if the results are there I can get over what brand it is. Years ago I wouldn't have considered anything from Adams or Wilson Staff - but after going to a couple demo days my thoughts changed quickly. Those two companies are high on my list when I can afford new irons.

I was naturally favorably biased toward Callaway since they were the brand of the first set of irons I got. I went out and bought a brand new Callaway stand bag and was ready to be a fan boy for life... based on absolutely no substantial experience at all. Then I added a Cobra 3h... and then swapped out my bag for an Ogio bag. Then I swapped out my Mizuno driver (the first club I ever got, and therefore permanently hated for not making me hit the ball like everyone else), for a Taylormade R9 460. And then I got a Cleveland CG14 52*

I just bought a set of Mizuno JPX 800 Pros and a Taylormade Spider Ghost Putter.

Long story short: You buy what works, not necessarily what looks pretty in a bag.

EDIT: Still trying to find out how to fit my putter in my bag... definitely not pretty and maybe that is why some of us love it so much.

Zero brand loyalty/bias here. If it works, I'll play it.

Although my bag is nearly all popular manufacturers (save for the Nicklaus driver), I've played many off-brands in the past. Even some of the popular brands of today that were never heard of back then:

Geek
Innovex
Golfsmith
KZG
Tour Edge (when nobody hear of 'em)
Adams (same)
Orlimar (same)
DogLegRight
Wishon
Integra

etc... there are others, just can't recall. If I don't like the look of a club, that's an issue as I have to feel comfortable/confident at address. For you, if you don't like the look of the P, the I, the N and the G... that could be a problem. :wink:

I wanted so badly to have the TM CBs be the right club for me. It felt great, but the i15s had the best balance of looks, feel, and as others have said is most important, results. Broke 90 for the first time in years with my new Pings.

Same thing happened with hybrids. Wanted to love TM or Titleist, but Adams won the spot in my bag.

I work in marketing so naturally i think brands are important. However, if forced to pick, I'd rather be happier with mybag on the course than off.

I like all brands I think. Can't think of a brand that I wouldn't use

Look at my sig. I have no brand loyalty. In days gone past I had a vanity bag full of Titleist. Over that now. With all the options out there limiting myself to 1-2 makers would have been foolish on my part. Tested everything before I bought and came out with a set of clubs I could never have predicted when I started the process earlier this year.

I would agree with most of the other posts and say that when your scores come down - so will the bias. If not, you could always return them again hahah

I only dislike Cobra. I'll never have any of their products in my bag.

TC

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Look at my sig. I have no brand loyalty. In days gone past I had a vanity bag full of Titleist. Over that now. With all the options out there limiting myself to 1-2 makers would have been foolish on my part. Tested everything before I bought and came out with a set of clubs I could never have predicted when I started the process earlier this year.

Yeah, Griff, I thought I had a mixed bag of tricks but you got me beat. I think it adds character to the bag, myself. And I went through the same selection process as you did and its the only way to go. If it works for me, its in the bag.

I've gotten over what few dislikes of companies I've had since coming to THP and will play everything except Scotty Cameron putters.

I'll NEVER get over that one either, I cannot stand the fanboys or what the man behind the name stands for, that will never change.

I've gotten over what few dislikes of companies I've had since coming to THP and will play everything except Scotty Cameron putters.

I'll NEVER get over that one either, I cannot stand the fanboys or what the man behind the name stands for, that will never change.

Why dont you like Scotty Cameron? I mean he makes the best putters known to man and personally gives each one a rub with his coin purse to add that special Scotty Cameron mojo that so many other companies try to emulate. (please note the extreme sarcasm).

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

Why dont you like Scotty Cameron? I mean he makes the best putters known to man and personally gives each one a rub with his coin purse to add that special Scotty Cameron mojo that so many other companies try to emulate. (please note the extreme sarcasm).

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

Seth, you make my day buddy. LOL

I've never been a fan of callaway, but I bought a set for my wife. I've always thought they've felt kind of hollow. In Vegas I played a rental set on a par 3 course and hit the ball good. I've tried their ball and didnt think the hx tour was a bad ball. However, I just can't see myself ev er playing their stuff

Lets look at this issue this way. Say you go to get fitted and you hit brand ABC the best and the fitter reccomends them. but due to bias you by brand XYZ. Next day on the course you hit XYZ but come up short of the green, in the back of your mind you know brand ABC would have gotten you there. So now its par with XYX instead of birdie with ABC. Hope this makes sense. As you can see in my sig I have 7 different brands.

I try and get to every demo day each year, but I'll admit Callaway, Cobra and Ping would have to do something incredible to my game to get into my bag.

I think a lot of golf is confidence, and if you're not comfortable with the clubs you're hitting, they aren't for you..

Can I ask why? Did you have a bad experience? I always thought of Cobra as kind of gimmicky, but I kind of like their new fairway woods. Cleveland was a brand that was never on my radar until the Mashie came out. I really dig that club.
I only dislike Cobra. I'll never have any of their products in my bag.

TC

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Back