This poor kid got the shaft...his hole in one ruled a birdie!!

I'd love to know the whole story. I like kids, but hate slow play.

Seems kinda a jerk move. only his penalty was upheld? Wish there was more on this story.

I hope the story is missing something because it makes no sense at all. How do they give him a penalty but no one else in his group?

Last edited:
Taking away an ace for slow play on the 5th hole??? That's embarrassing for the USGA. I'd still consider it an ace regardless of what was ''officially'' recorded.

Ouch.

I wonder if he was responsible or the other kids in his group. Even worse to get caught in the crossfire when it wasn't his fault.

I hope the story is missing something because it makes no sense at all. How do they give him a penalty but no one else in his group?

I was wondering the exact same thing...

There is most definately more to this story.

For all we know, the kid could have been the slow play culprit. He may have taken 18 practice strokes on the 5th tee box. Addressed his ball and waggled the club 10 times. Stepped back because a bug flew over his ball. And started his whole routine over. Then hit the ace.

He still holed it. But how do you get warned and cited for slow play on the 5th hole of a tourney? If the others weren't cited maybe they weren't slow. It is usually just one guy slowing down a group.
Gold Mt is no stranger to hosting big tourneys, State am's etc...

That's an ace in my book.

There's a lot to this story that's not written. Given a warning that early in a round. I agree with most of you an ace is an ace and it's a junior event come on now.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Wow...thats rough. Said they were warned prior to the 5th hole, then re-clocked on the 5th hole and that is what lead to the penalty.

I agree. Doesn't make much sense. They couldn't assess the penalty on another hole? I'm very confused... A 1 is a 1 is a 1 is a 1. I don't get it.

It's still an ace, just not on the scorecard. Sounds like either the kid was the slowest player alive or he got a horse :poop: ruling.

very very strange, hopefully more will come out about this since people are more aware of it now

This is a big tourney, and we are having spotty weather right now. Nice right now don't mean nice all day. So if a guy can't keep pace you gotta get him out of there.
http://www.kitsapsun.com/2011-junior-am/

He was probably plumb bobbing every 2 foot putt like I see every Sunday at a Muni. Stuff is pretty annoying.

Weird story. I don't get why everyone wasn't assessed a penalty. Was he the only one that was slow?

Hopefully he learns to play faster.

Still an ace in my book.

I'd prolly flip out on that official.

I'd love to know the whole story. I like kids, but hate slow play.

I agree. I love seeing kids play golf, but I hate slow play just as much. Sad to see this happen to a kid, while the PGA Tour does nothing about the ongoing problem. These kids follow the tour, and it would open many eyes if they would do something about it there. This would show the kids how serious the issue really is.

Intresting...if he was the only one playing slow...I would think a 1 would speed his pace up quite a bit. Especally if he was clocked at that hole.

And if he wasn't the only one playing slow...why was he the only one given a stroke.

Thats sounds absolutely terrible. I also think there has to be more to the story, but still, I think that is pretty harsh.

Weird story. I don't get why everyone wasn't assessed a penalty. Was he the only one that was slow?

Hopefully he learns to play faster.

Still an ace in my book.
Yeah considering they waived the penalty for the other two guys I'm guessing this kid is the slowest junior player in the country. Otherwise they would have to flat out dq him as nobody should be penalized for another players actions.

P.S. It is actually comical he gets penalized for slow play on a hole he aces. I mean how long does it take to hit it once?:laughing:

Back