Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Honestly the more I play with them, the more I wish the 7 were a blade, and the 4/3 were split cavities.

+1. i play 4-pw and want p-7 blades and 6-4 split

+1. i play 4-pw and want p-7 blades and 6-4 split

Maybe it's the case of those coming from blades or game enhancement irons..

I'm assuming of course, but at a 0.2 I have to think your previous set was at least game enhancement, am I wrong?

Went to the doctor today and loaded up on some "vitamins". These should allow me to get back out there quick.

Went to the doctor today and loaded up on some "vitamins". These should allow me to get back out there quick.

Glad to hear man! Heading out in a bit for 18 holes - so updated round report coming right up. My plan is to really focus on course management and use irons off the when it really makes sense as opposed to trying to hit driver on every hole not a par 3 so should make for some quality testing time.

Good luck Mcook. I have to sing the praises so far of the 3I off the tee box. Very nice little stinger type shot that I have been pretty accurate with on the range. I think my next round will be played with that shot instead of Mashie off the tee.

Has your 3i been fixed CL?

That is great to hear!
Gotta question for you though... That was a real cute video you posted, but who was the guy hitting balls after you got out of the way?:laughing:

That is great to hear!
Gotta question for you though... That was a real cute video you posted, but who was the guy hitting balls after you got out of the way?:laughing:

Lol that was my boy Max in the video with me. I dont know if you could hear but he kept touching the camera and telling me he was touching it. That is why there was a little shakiness going on. And don't think I didn't catch the short dig buddy!! Hoping to get out to the range tomorrow with Mdbuschr and hit some balls

Nike just tweeted the testing you guys are doing.

Cool! I still need to post some stuff on their FB page.

Nike is awesome. I've written on their FB page a few times and each time they answer really quickly.

You guys are doing a great job, and I'm loving this thread. CL, great video buddy, and I have a question for you or any of the other testers that are coming from more GI irons, what are you finding is the biggest adjustment going to more GE irons?

You guys are doing a great job, and I'm loving this thread. CL, great video buddy, and I have a question for you or any of the other testers that are coming from more GI irons, what are you finding is the biggest adjustment going to more GE irons?

Man CB I almost don't want to jinx myself with answering this. I have had no adjustment period so far. I went to the range and immediately hit them well. It was a better first range session then the Di11's first time. I then went and played 18 and shot an easy 77 and followed that up with 38 on 9 holes. I know I should be knocking some wood right now, but I feel like I am hitting these better than the GI clubs I am coming from. I feel like I just concentrate a little more with these.

Man CB I almost don't want to jinx myself with answering this. I have had no adjustment period so far. I went to the range and immediately hit them well. It was a better first range session then the Di11's first time. I then went and played 18 and shot an easy 77 and followed that up with 38 on 9 holes. I know I should be knocking some wood right now, but I feel like I am hitting these better than the GI clubs I am coming from. I feel like I just concentrate a little more with these.

Thanks CL, I actually found the same thing the other day. I loved the look of those PX shafts BTW, sweet looking club man.

I love the looks of them too. Probably the nicest iron/shaft combo I've ever played.

I saw the nike tweet....very impressed...

THis site is, as you americans say...awesome!

Does Nike give you any feedback at all JB as to what they think?

That's incredible man. I just retweeted it. Great job of getting this website involved in stuff like this JB, and testers, keep doing what your doing. :drinks:

Very cool to see that tweet from Nike!! We (the testers) are extremely lucky to have the opportunity to participate in this.

As I mentioned yesterday, I was heading out to play last night. Played a new (to me) course that rated at 71.7/133 so a bit more challenging than I am used to playing to be honest. The course had some holes with very narrow fairways and a bunch of par 4's in the 350-380 range. This allowed me to hit irons off of the tee all night long pretty much.

On 8 holes, I used the 3i or 4i off the tee and found the FW 6 times. This is a big accomplishment for me as I was only playing irons from 5-GW prior to the testing. I have found that the long irons are SUPER easy to hit off a tee and extremely accurate. Even if I happen to catch one a bit heavy/fat, it will still get out there straight with minimal distance loss. On well struck tee shots, I was seeing anywhere from 190 - 220 just depending on how well I hit it and how much roll I got, etc. Gotta be honest, at first I thought I would just be hitting a long iron off of the tee as part of the testing but with the success I am seeing, it IS becoming part of how I now play the game.

From the fairway, I had some success and also a few struggles. I did do something to my lower back around hole 6 (and feeling even worse this morning) which I think led to some poor shots but I also hit some really good shots so no excuses. I continue to be impressed with the blades. I hit some really good shots into greens which I expected but I was also very impressed when I caught a few not quite great but still got right around the green with a chance to save par; so I am definitely seeing some forgiveness even in the blades. I did not have a bunch of opportunities with the split cavities last night except for 2 par 3's and some low stinger punch out shots. On the par 3's, I hit a decent 7 iron to 35 feet and on the other I hit it fat off the tee and short of the green.

The last area I want to comment on is the ability of the PW within 80 yards. This thing is just DEADLY for me. Hole number 2 from 73 yards I stick it to 7 feet. Hole number 4 from 20 yards I stick it to 4 feet. Hole number 17 from 20 yards I stick it to 5 feet. And several other times from just a tad off the green I chipped it to within 3 feet. I had mentioned last week how I was a bit surprised at how low and hot the PW was for me on chips and I am finally learning how to play it and it is really paying off. I used to try all kinds of lob shots but I find myself going to the PW in almost every scenario as I am getting that comfortable with it.

Here are a few photos from the round with some of the highlights for me:

#5 - looking back from green to FW. Hit a 9 iron from 127 yards. I was to the right of that tree in the middle just on the other side of the hill
IMG_0610.jpg

#5 - result of 9 iron shot from previous photo. Stuck it to 4 feet and made birdie.
IMG_0609.jpg

#7 - 118 yard PW. Ball landed, tiny bounce and stopped 5 inches left of where it landed - LOVE how well these irons checkup on the greens without spinning back for me.
IMG_0611.jpg

#16 - Par 5 - from tee box. Just an example of how narrow some of the fairways were and why I was really enjoying smoking some dead straight 3 irons!!
IMG_0612.jpg

Very nice Mike.

Went and played 20 holes Monday before work and 14 holes after work yesterday. These irons are here to stay! I have been hitting them very well and they just keep performing like expected. I don't want to sound like a broken record, so I will keep my update short and sweet and focus on some questions that were asked.

I am now very confident/comfortable using the 3 & 4 irons, both off the tee and off the deck. One of the two courses at my work has pretty long par 3s, all are from 175-215, so the 3 and 4 are very important.

The 5-PW are still great and I have no other comments on these at this time. I keep wanting something to update I just haven't found it. I haven't done much chipping with the PW, I will try some today.

I know someone asked about divots. My divots are typically the size of a dollar bill (as another tester said) with probably 6-PW. Sometimes they are a little less, depending on the lie. With the 3, 4, and 5, there is just a small area which you can see where the club hit the ground but not a lot of divot taken.

As far as spin goes, these irons have no problem holding greens. They typically one (or two) hop and stop, but I have spun back the blades a few times. The spin is pretty consistent which is nice, and I have no problem finding my ball mark, about 5-10 feet from the ball (a little more with the long irons, but they hold greens very nice too).

Coming from GI irons. I'm not sure if the 2010 TM TPs are considered a GI or not. I doubt it, but they are a cavity back. As CL said, I haven't really had an adjustment period. These clubs are that easy to hit, and that good. They do make you concentrate more (IMO), which may have something to do with no adjustment period. The one thing I had to adjust, which I thought would be opposite, is gained distance. I hit these a club longer than I hit my TMs.

I have let many people try these out over the past week (on the range or on course). Everyone from a scratch golfer, to probably a 20+ handicap, and between. EVERYONE said something to the likes of "man these feel good" when hitting the BLADES! Of the 6 people, 2 commented on how long they were hitting with them (without me asking); one of the scratch golfers hit the 3i 260 yards! Also, literally everyone commented on how good these look. I got comments about how they look good in the bag and at address. One person commented on the shafts and how they felt good to him.

I am going to keep getting these in people's hands to try and I bet I will be responsible for selling at least one set of these, they are that good.

I brought my video camera with me today, but I'm not sure what to shoot. Any ideas for videos or pics?? I've got a few hours before work.

Thank you again Nike and THP for this fantastic opportunity. Honestly, please let me know if there is anything I can do to be a better tester.

Finally got to play some golf today. I've had some serious family issues going on that have kept me from doing anything at all. I played 36 at Belleair Country Club on the West course. The irons continue to impress in any facet I can really think of. I've found the feeling of nothingness seems to happen whenever I'm hitting out of the rough. It's hard to explain the feeling, but it's great for confidence so I'm not complaining. All of my best shots today were with the 4 and 5 iron. I absolutely love the 4 iron. I had quite a few 190-200ish into the wind today, because I'm still playing with no driver. Every time I just played about a 10 yard draw with the 4 iron and I was on the green. The greens were at an 11 today, so not that fast, but I had no problem getting balls to hold the greens and check up with any club from 4-PW. I was on the range for about 3-5 minutes so I'm still uncomfortable with the 3 iron, but I'll be getting out to the range Saturday to just hit that and get it figured out. I only made three birdies, but I played the tips and had no driver, so I'll take a bunch of short par putts. I seem to have lost the ability to read a green. I took some video, but it is all putrid and the decent ones have bad language or derogatory terms. I'll get some better video this weekend for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back