Michelle Wie Switched to Belly Putter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Evian Masters 1st round saw Michelle Wie card a 76 with 32 putts. She switched to a long putter. At first I would say, not a great showing, but with her putting woes at the US Open, I think its nice to see her make the switch. It shows she is working on the one issue that seems to be keeping her from breaking through.

michelle-wie-belly-putter.jpg

DAmn, that putter has to be as tall as Chunky!

Good for her though.

• Admin
Picture added.

I am going through some putting woes myself so I can understand the switch but I am surprised she did go to a long putter. I would try a different style head and see if that helped first. She may have tried that too but I don't know the details.

Interesting. Hope this works for her. A successful Michelle Wie would be great for the Tour.

The LPGA Tour needs Michelle Wie to start to dominate and SOON! She looks to be holding it like a broom handle Adam Scott putter, yet it's a belly putter. Someone should show her how to hold that thing!

The LPGA Tour needs Michelle Wie to start to dominate and SOON! She looks to be holding it like a broom handle Adam Scott putter, yet it's a belly putter. Someone should show her how to hold that thing!

Agreed. That looks incredibly awkward.

I don't think she has the makeup to dominate.

I thought that for a long time. But I saw something out of her at Solheim. I think she will, but I dont think its going to be right away (or anytime soon). I think when she starts to win though, look out, as they will come in bunches.

You think she needs a better stylist or just to try a different brand? :D

Interesting move that more and more professionals seem to be making.

maybe she's just a late bloomer?

DAmn, that putter has to be as tall as Chunky!

Good for her though.

I've never met chunky in person, but i have met michelle wie in person. I've got to say her putter is probably taller than chunky according to forum lore.

I wish her well but most of all I wish the R&A and USGA would ban the belly putter,cheating imo,

I've never met chunky in person, but i have met michelle wie in person. I've got to say her putter is probably taller than chunky according to forum lore.

It's the long grip that puts the putter over the top.

I just think Wie is a headcase. She is very capable of domination but there is just no killer instinct there IMO

Evian Masters 1st round saw Michelle Wie card a 76 with 32 putts. She switched to a long putter. At first I would say, not a great showing, but with her putting woes at the US Open, I think its nice to see her make the switch. It shows she is working on the one issue that seems to be keeping her from breaking through.

I'm not really surprised. My teacher has used a belly putter for sometime when working with people on their putting. I used one off and on last year and a little this spring, and that along with working with my teacher has me now putting the best I have in several years.

I definitely think putting is her biggest issue on the course, if she can work that out with a longer putter and once she graduates Stanford and can dedicate her time to Golf alone I think she'll finally break through.

I'm not really surprised. My teacher has used a belly putter for sometime when working with people on their putting. I used one off and on last year and a little this spring, and that along with working with my teacher has me now putting the best I have in several years.

Mine encouraged me to use one too. He said he used one for a while and it made him a much better putter. I just don't like them. If my putting doesn't improve much this year, I'll have to suck it up and try one.

The way she is holding the putter in that picture, one must wonder is she could consistently square the face at impact. It looks like it would require intentional force to keep the face from shutting down, which would likely lead to some pushes from the overt force.

Anyone know if she was missing to the right with that thing?

Interesting. Hope this works for her. A successful Michelle Wie would be great for the Tour.

+1 she needs to start winning like everyone thought she would.

It's the long grip that puts the putter over the top.

I just think Wie is a headcase. She is very capable of domination but there is just no killer instinct there IMO

Ding Ding Ding! I agree 100% with you Chunky.

Back