Older model fairways and hybrids

Ryan555

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking to finally bridge the gap between my 3 wood and my 3 iron as well as get me a newer 3/3+/4 wood. I don't have the money to throw down on a new one, so I will be looking at closeouts, ebay and the likes. So what I'm looking for would be ideas on a deeper faced fairway wood that would be good off the tee, but not so deep that it's prohibitve from the turf, and then hybrids, from the last couple of years. Just ideas and experiences that people have had, not necessarily where to get them. Unfortunately, due to the money situation, and the fact that no golf shop near me has anything remotely close to a good used bin or closeout section, most of these will not be able to be tried before purchasing, which is how I've pretty much ever purchased a golf club.

To give you an example I've been looking at the likes of 906f2/4, 904s, used R9s, etc. Just really trying to compile a list of things I should be looking at then from there I will sort it out.

I play a V Steel 4 wood, and I won't ever change it out until it breaks. Pretty hot face on it too, so the ball goes a good ways.

Looking to finally bridge the gap between my 3 wood and my 3 iron as well as get me a newer 3/3+/4 wood. I don't have the money to throw down on a new one, so I will be looking at closeouts, ebay and the likes. So what I'm looking for would be ideas on a deeper faced fairway wood that would be good off the tee, but not so deep that it's prohibitve from the turf, and then hybrids, from the last couple of years. Just ideas and experiences that people have had, not necessarily where to get them. Unfortunately, due to the money situation, and the fact that no golf shop near me has anything remotely close to a good used bin or closeout section, most of these will not be able to be tried before purchasing, which is how I've pretty much ever purchased a golf club.

To give you an example I've been looking at the likes of 906f2/4, 904s, used R9s, etc. Just really trying to compile a list of things I should be looking at then from there I will sort it out.

If you are interested, I'd me more than happy to send a Nike Sumo 3H (21*) your way for very cheap.

Other than that, the R9 3W was quite nice to hit.

Check out the nickent 3dx and 4dx stuff. Can be had pretty cheep and is good quality stuff.

If you are interested, I'd me more than happy to send a Nike Sumo 3H (21*) your way for very cheap.

Other than that, the R9 3W was quite nice to hit.

Thanks for the offer. I will keep it in mind as I keep looking, but, where I stand right now, my 3 iron is pretty safe in my bag. Really looking at something like a strong 3 & 4 wood combo or 3 wood and then 2h/5wood. I did miss a deal on a 906f2 earlier today on ebay for $25. Still kinda mad at myself for doing my work instead watching it closer, LOL. I looked at r9s for a bit, which would be nice as I can change out the shafts in those much easier than one that's glued.

I much preferred the 906 to the 904, as did many others. No firsthand knowledge but have heard so many rave about Vsteels, they must be a classics. I would second Nickents as good buy, just never could buy one when I was looking as they would get snapped up so fast. If looking new I have found DXIs from wilson staff at near $100 prices on e-bay.

The TM Raylor I have is competing with my 5w distance wise lately. Tends to draw the ball for me, normally I'm a fade/slice. It is a year or two out of prod so prices should be good. It is a trouble/rescue club though, which I like but I've been using it off the tee for 175ish par 3s if the pins in the back.

P.S. Lots of people tried the mashie so you might get a used one in the marketplace. I'm deciding if I can use mine this month.

Last edited:
Along the lines of what I was looking for, does anyone play a 4wood(16.5/17) and a 2 hybrid(18/19/20) combo? Like I said, my 3 iron is prettty safe, but I am looking for some additional options. The R9 4 woods are going all over the bay right now for fairly decent prices, some wicked low if you time it right. The '09 Rescues are also going pretty low and was thinking that R9 at 17 and then Rescue at 19 migh be a little close.

I picked up Nickent clubs from Dallas Golf, new condition, for a great price. Got my 5 hybrid for $40.

I luv my fybrids and,you can find them new around/under $40 all over the internet.

Last edited:
I love the Nike Sq 2 series. I still think they are one of the best FWs ever made. I gamed them until recently.

I have a Nike dymo 3W that I love, if not for getting the R11 4W it would still be in my bag. You would be remiss not check it out, one of the easiest to hit FW's I've found. You can find them for cheap as well.

Add to that I have a 19* adams super black, I think either of those two would be right up your alley. If you want I could send either to you to demo. I do not use them at the moment.

I have a Nike dymo 3W that I love, if not for getting the R11 4W it would still be in my bag. You would be remiss not check it out, one of the easiest to hit FW's I've found. You can find them for cheap as well.

Add to that I have a 19* adams super black, I think either of those two would be right up your alley. If you want I could send either to you to demo. I do not use them at the moment.

It's funny that you mention the Dymo. I looked at those a couple of years ago when they went dirt cheap, but never found a round one in the 3 wood genre. Then i thought about going with the 4 wood instead. Maybe I'll check them out to see what's out there. Wonder if you can still pick 'em up new?

It's funny that you mention the Dymo. I looked at those a couple of years ago when they went dirt cheap, but never found a round one in the 3 wood genre. Then i thought about going with the 4 wood instead. Maybe I'll check them out to see what's out there. Wonder if you can still pick 'em up new?

Rock bottom had some a while back, or global golf.

--
tapatalk

My .02, but I carry an old TaylorMade Rescue Mid 3 Hybrid. I love it! I think I got it in 2005, and still prefer it over the newer hybrids. PLUS, you can find them on eBay for around $30ish.

If youre looking to get used clubs, try Golfsmith. They have a fairly large selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look around for Tour Edge Exotics XCG fairway woods. Easy to hit off the deck 3W I've ever played. Fantastic golf club.

Kevin

I just picked one of these up at Golf Galaxy. On sale and coupon it was around $50. It is still the honeymoon phase but this thing is a rocket launcher.

Also-speaking of older hybrids-I still have my 07 TM Rescues in one of my bags. Very forgiving, IMO.

Last edited:
I just picked one of these up at Golf Galaxy. On sale and coupon it was around $50. It is still the honeymoon phase but this thing is a rocket launcher.

Also-speaking of older hybrids-I still have my 07 TM Rescues in one of my bags. Very forgiving, IMO.

Man, I wish the nearest place, golfsmith/golf galaxy, to me wasn't nearly an hour away. Oh well, I'm not in any major hurry since it's been nearly 100 here the last week and the heat index has been reaching 110+.

The 07 rescue is one that I've thought about. I was thinking the 09 TP because, just like the R9, if I don't like the shaft, it will be easier to change it out than having to have a new one glued in every time.

Does anyone here still play the original Diablo fwy and hyb? Just wondering because they are fairly cheap just about every where. What about the 2008 FT fairways or hybrids? Also looking at the Machspeed fwy or hyb. Or maybe even the Adams Speedline Fast 10, if I can snag a used one on the bay fairly cheap.

I have been playing Titleist 585 hybrids for quite a few years now. I like the look and now the price as these are 3 generations removed. They fill the gap nicely and I change them up as to the distance of the course gaming a 19* equal to most 5 woods but better from the rough, a 21* 3hybrid and a 24* 4 hybrid. These are avalible at most golf stores in the pre-owned and off Ebay.

Back