My Wierdest Shot In 35 Years Of Golfing, Happened Today

keto

Reaction score
Handicap
Par 5 9th at River Ridge in Edmonton - started on 10, so this was my 18th hole today. 90* dog leg right with water in the corner. Dead into the wind off the tee, I flirted with the water right but was dry. About 100-125 to carry the water to the right.

Pulled out my M2 Mashie, thought 'smooth peanut butter creamy whipped butter' and swung.....hit it about mid ball, a low screamer. Skipped three times on the water (only getting up about 3"-4" between skips) and was heading for the thick reeds, bullrushes, and swampgrass at the far end of the hazard but whoops, after the 3rd skip I hit a Canada goose in the back and it popped up about 12' in the air and continued on past the junk onto dry land & short grass.

I sorta lost track of the goose as I followed the ball, with my eyes popping out of my head and all slack jawed :bulgy-eyes: . Again, it was 3rd hop and only hit it a fairly glancing blow in the upper back (it was sideways profile to me) - I believe and truly hope it wouldn't have been a bone breaking hit but I'll never know for sure. If it had hit YOU in the ribs I'm sure it wouldn't have had enough steam to do more than sting and leave a mark.

Ah well, the geese are plentiful on that course - saw well over a hundred probably closer to 200 today, and did lots of dancing to avoid their landmines. Even jokingly asked my partner to 'grab my 12 guage out of the bag, wouldja?' at one point - they's good eating.

Oh, I 3 whacked for a double. Bleghhh. :clown:

Last edited:
The old bounce it off the ducks back trick shot. Man we do that to warm up on our par 3 number # five hole. Sometmes we use turtles instead to get a little higher bounce but ducks work good for those soft lob shots you want to sit softly by the flag.

The old bounce it off the ducks back trick shot. Man we do that to warm up on our par 3 number # five hole. Sometmes we use turtles instead to get a little higher bounce but ducks work good for those soft lob shots you want to sit softly by the flag.

And I thought I was the only one to think of that :wink:

Come to think of it, I had another top 5 earlier in the round. Again, a drive into the wind. Dogleg left, trap on the inside corner. Hit my drive a bit too high and, if it wasn't going backwards when it landed, it certainly wasn't going forward - wind was pushing hard, probably 25-30mph. So, dead straight down into the bunker. What's worse than a fried egg lie? This thing was buried so far in soft sand that the top of the ball was below the level of the rest of the trap, with big lips of sand on all sides of the crater. I hacked at that thing so hard I hurt my wrist, and moved it about a yard, still in the bunker of course. Advanced that one about 100, next on the green and 2 putts for double. Le sigh.

What are the odds? Haha a good laugh for sure

I would like to see an American do that! No Canadian Geese down there!

No, but I've come close to skipping one off the back of a sandhill crane!

Its unfortunate you didn't make a "birdie" on that hole after your encounter :D

Weirdest shot I ever saw was when I played golf in college, we were in a home match vs. MIT and one of their golfers hit a shot 10 yards short of the green, it bounces a good 40-50 ft up in the air and lands on the green and proceeds to go in the hole. Turns out he hit a memorial plaque in the fairway and it just took a lucky bounce.

Another match we had, the course had a power line that was 30-40 yards out crossing the fairway. Local rules state that it is a free re-tee if you hit it. My teammate hits it flush with his first tee shot, retees, hits it again with his second tee shot , and then re-tee and hits it off a telephone pole O.B. (he smother hooked it and looked genuinely defeated for drive #4). Next guy comes to the tee and he hits it with his first shot!. In my 3 years of college prior to that, I never saw anyone hit it, then in one round, I see it happen 3 times! It was pretty funny to watch.

Since we're sharing.

Short 140 yard par 3 off an elevated tee box. Nothing tricky about the shot, sand short left and right, green slopes towards the tee box. You just don't want to be long the rough is way long behind the green. To the right of the green is the tee box for the next hole separated by the cart path.
So my buddy skulls his 9i and pushes it way right, it's skidding down the cart path, skidding and skidding, hits the stone marker for the next tee box, shoots way up into the air and back to the left. Like 20 yards back to the left directly to the left, right back onto the green of our hole sitting perfect for a short birdie.

There's nothing logical about the way the ball bounced off that marker. He it a smooth stone object with forward momentum and yet it bounced off at a right angle. And of course right on the green of our hole!

Still the luckiest bounce I've ever seen.

And I've seen plenty of balls skid over the water back onto land. But never off a duck! Good shot.

Haha well that will work! That's too funny

Nice 1. I hope I play enough in my life to have some rememberable shots. Only 2.5 years into playing.

This is no lie. Playing with a friend at the par 3 at eagle run golf course in omaha, short hole, the kid I'm playing with hits it off a tree. The ball proceeds to bounce onto a slope on the green, and travel about 20 feet for a hole in one. This kid is 16 and now has 2 hole in ones, and he can't break 100 on a real course.

Come to think of it, I had another top 5 earlier in the round. Again, a drive into the wind. Dogleg left, trap on the inside corner. Hit my drive a bit too high and, if it wasn't going backwards when it landed, it certainly wasn't going forward - wind was pushing hard, probably 25-30mph. So, dead straight down into the bunker. What's worse than a fried egg lie? This thing was buried so far in soft sand that the top of the ball was below the level of the rest of the trap, with big lips of sand on all sides of the crater. I hacked at that thing so hard I hurt my wrist, and moved it about a yard, still in the bunker of course. Advanced that one about 100, next on the green and 2 putts for double. Le sigh.

Somewhere on this website, there is video of me doing this exact thing.

Yes sir there absolutely is Canada Geese in America.

Yep - Grew up in Connecticut, and there are most definitely Canada geese in the states! The best part was football practice in autumn, when your uniform would be a vertible pastiche of mud and goose poop.

I once caught a flyer out of the rough and air mailed a green into the woods behind only to hear a "crack" and see the ball come shooting out of the trees, hit the green and roll to about 4 feet!

Well played sir. Lol.

Since we're all sharing... A couple years ago we're playing the Arthur Hills course in the Palmetto Dunes in Hilton Head, SC. I'm pushing the ball right all day long and having a hard time to keep from getting frustrated. We come up to the Par 4 # 16 Hole. From the tee box, there's water right for about 200 yards, then a clearing and water left around the green. I'm figuring this will be a break for me so I am left side of the fairway. Push it right like I was expecting and notice that I'm clearing the water....or rather was clearing the water. My ball proceeds to try and make a bounce of the cart path but the one and only turtle that I saw that day intercepted and set me back into the water. I'm dumbfounded because we cannot see the turtle from the tee box. It wasn't until we get up there and notice the turtle in the path. I walk down to try and get my ball and notice an Alligator hanging around right where by ball landed. That trip made it Reptiles - 2, Me - 0.

Yes sir there absolutely is Canada Geese in America.

They come to VA in the winter...oddly none of them carries a green card.

I hit a Canada goose with a skulled wedge shot at the practice area earlier this summer, felt pretty bad about it because it didn't glance off, it hit the poor goose right in the side from about thirty yards out from a full swing. Knocked a bunch of down off of him, and I thought at first that it broke his wing, but I watched him for a long time and he seemed to be ok. Much to my relief, he flew off with the others eventually, geese are pretty tough. I'm just glad I didn't hit one the goslings.

Back