Where did you play your first round of golf?

Wheatley Hills G.C.
East Williston (LI) NY
With my future FIL, BIL and my pops.
In laws were scratch, pops was around a 12 handicap and I shot 140 where every stroke counted including penalties with no gimmees in round.
FIL at 95 can still shoot better than his age.
BIL is still scratch.
Pops has retired from sport due to bad legs.
I'm between 92 and 102 depending on how many 3 putts taken.

Tacoma Wash, 1964. Meadow Park golf course.

Last edited:
Meadowbrook golf course in Arlington Tx
A 9 hole par 33 Muni. Didn't even have clubs at the time. Rented a set of cobras and went at it.

Looks like it's still there. Might be fun to check out next time I'm back home

First 9 East Potomac Park in DC

First 18 Rick Creek Park, also in DC

Both with my Dad. Both memorable and glad i was able to share them with my wife and daughters years later.

I can’t remember which was first but it was either Linda Vista Golf Course or the University Course in Missoula MT

Brighton Park Golf Course in Tonawanda NY.
It's still there, but it's not a place I would ever choose to play.

Some 9 hole course in central MA. I don't remember the name.

Goat Hill, in Oceanside, CA. It was called Center City Golf Course at the time, and was a 9-holer you played twice for 18. "Goat Hill" was just its nickname because it was such a goat track, but they later adopted it as the official name of the course and it's still Goat Hill to this day.

Surely the Fulton Country Club in Illinois. I can't specifically remember it as my first, but it has to be. It's where Grandpa played and drank.

Goat Hill, in Oceanside, CA. It was called Center City Golf Course at the time, and was a 9-holer you played twice for 18. "Goat Hill" was just its nickname because it was such a goat track, but they later adopted it as the official name of the course and it's still Goat Hill to this day.
I remember you saying it's kind of a family thing to play your first round there. It's a fun little course.

20230926_181116.jpg

First round was at a shorter executive course called the Bruin. The first full 18 was at Kingswood Golf Course. Both are closed down now. One is a park and the other is parking.

A 9 hole par three course called Canino Park. I thought it was the best place on earth and boy was I wrong...lol

The course on post in Ft. Meade, MD. I had a buddy that was into it, so I went out with him, rented some clubs, and hacked away. Would have been in 1990 or so.

A par 3 course called Bob O Links. It’s crazy how long some of the holes seemed and now I only bring my wedges

Maplehurst GC in Louisville, KY. An old cow pasture turned 18 hole golf course. It was finally sold a few years ago and is now Maplehurst Estates.

Riverview Country Club, Appleton, WI. Once a thriving nine hole private country club, now closed.

Creekside golf course. Modesto, Ca

My first was a par 3 course in Hometown PA called Walt's. My first actual 18 hole course was White Birch in Barnsville PA. Wow, what a long time ago.

Rapid City Golf Course in Rapid City Manitoba. Sand greens and tees!

Pitcheroak Municiple Golf Course. It was a local 9 hole course in Redditch, England. Pleased to see it’s still going strong, 30 odd years later, and hasn’t been sold off for housing.
D818A017-DDEF-4A5F-A155-239DEFF65757.jpeg

French Lick, Indiana.
No, not that course.

There is a small 9 holer that is part of the West Baden Hotel down there that my Grandpa taught me to play at.
For as long as I can remember my family has owned a cottage in the hills above the resort down there. We went down there for about a month every summer growing up.

The place I really LEARNED how to play the game was Avon Fields golf course. It's a small 5700-yard course in the middle of the city in Cincinnati.

Prentice Municipal Golf Course

9 hole muni my great uncle built in the 60s and gave to the town

Back