The Grammar & Usage Thread

To be specific, I speak Chicaguh-an. That's worse.

I still remember trying to communicate with securities regulators in London. Talk about two countries separated by a single tongue! I'd get off the phone thinking we'd agreed to one thing, only to find out I'd signed on to something totally different.

Never got to Chicago last time Claire so my mind boggles as to what Chicaguh-an sounds like.

Never got to Chicago last time Claire so my mind boggles as to what Chicaguh-an sounds like.

Easy: Duh wunnerful mare uh duh wunnerful city uh Chicag-uh.

:excruciating: Oh my goodness, someone poured liquid fertiliser into Lake Michigan.

If it helps at all, it typically takes a few drinks before I really talk like that. But definitely that harsh midwestern twang.

Another drive-by on the English language!

Another drive-by on the English language!

I've been noticing a lot of errors on CNN lately. For example, just now:

"English princes William and Harry spotted at the premier of James Bond: Quantum of Solace."

I've been noticing a lot of errors on CNN lately. For example, just now:

"English princes William and Harry spotted at the premier of James Bond: Quantum of Solace."

"James Bond: Quantum of Solace" is obviously now a province of some country. :D

"James Bond: Quantum of Solace" is obviously now a province of some country. :D

Never mind what in the world "Quantum of Solace" might actually mean. :confused2:

Never mind what in the world "Quantum of Solace" might actually mean. :confused2:

Hopefully it is not a deep slumber caused by the movie. :yawn::disapointed:

True confession: I have never in my life seen a James Bond movie. For that matter, I've never been to a drive in. I used to say I was saving it all for when I got married, and that I'd spend my honeymoon watching James Bond movies at a drive in. Thankfully, it didn't quite happen that way.

True confession: I have never in my life seen a James Bond movie. For that matter, I've never been to a drive in. I used to say I was saving it all for when I got married, and that I'd spend my honeymoon watching James Bond movies at a drive in. Thankfully, it didn't quite happen that way.

Never been to a drive-in?? What about all of those 'rites of passage' experiences you missed?

Never been to a drive-in?? What about all of those 'rites of passage' experiences you missed?

Missed 'em. I came of age (so to speak) during one of the gas crises. Cars suddenly had non-bench front seats and stick shifts, along with very small back seats. Made the whole drive in thing less attractive than it was to our older siblings.

We need to talk about grammar and usage in here, but nothing horrible and jarring comes to mine. Want me to riff on how "while" isn't a synonym for "although"? And "since" doesn't mean the same things as "because"?

Missed 'em. I came of age (so to speak) during one of the gas crises. Cars suddenly had non-bench front seats and stick shifts, along with very small back seats. Made the whole drive in thing less attractive than it was to our older siblings.

We need to talk about grammar and usage in here, but nothing horrible and jarring comes to mine. Want me to riff on how "while" isn't a synonym for "although"? And "since" doesn't mean the same things as "because"?

I admit I do fall victim at times to the former (but fighting it) but I didn't think the latter applied to me. :shock:

I think we have a banter thread dont we?

Okay, not banter:

"Since I started reading this thread, you made fun of me."

Does that mean you made fun of me because I am reading this thread? Or that at some point after I began reading it, you started teasing?

Unintended verbal obfuscation makes me nuts. (Though I tend to indulge in the intentional type--factual accuracy while being totally misleading is my strong suit.)

Okay, not banter:

"Since I started reading this thread, you made fun of me."

Does that mean you made fun of me because I am reading this thread? Or that at some point after I began reading it, you started teasing?

Unintended verbal obfuscation makes me nuts. (Though I tend to indulge in the intentional type--factual accuracy while being totally misleading is my strong suit.)

The latter. :glasses-nerdy:

OK, I have to admit I had to look up "obfuscation" because I don't recall ever hearing the word before!

The latter. :glasses-nerdy:

From you? Of course. :blowkiss::yawn:

OK, I have to admit I had to look up "obfuscation" because I don't recall ever hearing the word before!

Then it worked! :banana: I also love "antepenultimate," but that's a hard one to drop in casual conversation.

A pet peeve of mine: useless dictionaries.

antepenultimate

an⋅te⋅pe⋅nul⋅ti⋅mate /ˌæntipɪˈnʌltəmɪt/
–noun
an antepenult.

Wow, that really clears things up!

(Don't worry, I did eventually figure it out. You're right, would be hard to drop in conversation.)

A pet peeve of mine: useless dictionaries.

antepenultimate

an⋅te⋅pe⋅nul⋅ti⋅mate /ˌæntipɪˈnʌltəmɪt/
–noun
an antepenult.

Wow, that really clears things up!

I still don't understand. :confused2:

I still don't understand. :confused2:

Oh bogeyme, that's the point. :roll: :smile:

An antepenult is a syllable in a word, specifically, the third syllable from the end. So 'te.' (Claire is just using big words because she's feeling superfluous.)

An antepenult is a syllable in a word, specifically, the third syllable from the end. So 'te.' (Claire is just using big words because she's feeling superfluous.)

Great. You women are just trying to confuse us guys and our small brains. :bicker: :banana:

I usually am superfluous, sad to say. :crying:

Ultimate is the last in a series.
Penultimate is next to last.
Antepenultimate is the one before the next to last.

So, X would be the antepenultimate letter in the alphabet.

And then there's creating nonexistent verbs out of nouns. Saw this earlier this morning and cringed: incentivize. Ouch! Whatever happened to, "motivate"? (punctuation note: ! and ? go outside quotes unless they are part of the quoted material)

Methinks Julie likes this smiley a little too much: :roll:

(She always uses it replying to me! LOL)

(punctuation note: ! and ? go outside quotes unless they are part of the quoted material)

Not to challenge, but are you sure on that one? I was pretty devastated to find out I was doing it wrong back in k-12, I'd feel gyped if I turned out to be right (period, close quote).

Back