TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

It definitely does not look like a finish that would peel. I bought mine off eBay and believe my irons to be authentic. Very good craftsmanship. Immaculate. I believe all my badges are the same size as well. I now have 2 rounds in and a few hosel strikes but they look beautiful. I keep head covers on mine. I hate the jingling and have too much in my set. My wife would kill me if she only knew. The finish appears top notch and seems to be holding up well to both range mats and Rocky Gap Resorts sand based course.

sorry for the late reply wil take a few photos of them later today,its not peeling its like its fading if that sounds right will post some picture when i can and you can see for yourself,maybe im over reacting but better show you first

dsc00667gj.jpg

hope this is ok and you can see ive got at least 5 of my irons like this

dsc00667gj.jpg

That doesn't look good. None of mine look like that and I have played 6-8 rounds with them.

I am going to go out on a limb a little bit and say one possibility for this is, you are hitting the ground with the heel every time you swing? Maybe these clubs are a bit long for you?

That doesn't look good. None of mine look like that and I have played 6-8 rounds with them.

I am going to go out on a limb a little bit and say one possibility for this is, you are hitting the ground with the heel every time you swing? Maybe these clubs are a bit long for you?

the thing is if you look to the other side of the club were the 2.0 badge is its the same on that side aswell round the rim,and im shooting some of my best scores with these shot a 74 yesterday and always seem to hit them fine,well to me i do anyway

mine look like that,i have gave them a good bashing this year, and some of the courses i played were in the middle of being repaired etc.

Although i think the way they sit in my cart bag when on the trolley they can sometimes clash.

its mainly my wedges thou

I was wondering what effect using a non-flighted set of shaft has on these clubs. If I understand the marketing, the stock shafts change the flex point for each club. Now say I upgraded to the KBS or DG would I be altering the design philosophy of these irons? I know several of the testers are playing KBS's have you seen yardage gaps because of this? I ask because I have located a set fairly cheap with KBS shafts but without being fitted for them I was hesitant to buy. I will be trying to find a good retailer that has all the shaft options (maybe Golftec). I currently play flighted rifles and would also be interested if any tester chose that option.

I was wondering what effect using a non-flighted set of shaft has on these clubs. If I understand the marketing, the stock shafts change the flex point for each club. Now say I upgraded to the KBS or DG would I be altering the design philosophy of these irons? I know several of the testers are playing KBS's have you seen yardage gaps because of this? I ask because I have located a set fairly cheap with KBS shafts but without being fitted for them I was hesitant to buy. I will be trying to find a good retailer that has all the shaft options (maybe Golftec). I currently play flighted rifles and would also be interested if any tester chose that option.

I cannot compare the KBS Tour shafts I play with the 2.0's with the stock shaft, but I can say I am very happy with them. I have one gap between my 6 and 7 irons, but outside of that, I am golden. I was fitted for my shafts, so I know they work for me. As for you, I wouldn't do anything until you have an idea of what you need. Get fitted if possible. I can sat the KBS Tour is one heck of a shaft though, and the 2.0 head is awesome. The combo works well for me.

Last edited:
mine look like that,i have gave them a good bashing this year, and some of the courses i played were in the middle of being repaired etc.

Although i think the way they sit in my cart bag when on the trolley they can sometimes clash.

its mainly my wedges thou

thanks for that matt looks like its normal then

I've taken lots and lots of swings on the range, and I don't have anything that looks like this. But if someone else is getting them, then maybe I'll eventually get it.

Hey, I have the Project X Flighted shafts in my 2.0s that I'm testing. I think they are a great shaft for these clubs, and I'm not noticing any type of gap problems or anything. I love the flight I'm getting with these shafts too. My only problem at first was getting used to the weight of the shaft, because I was used to the light shafts TaylorMade puts in their irons. I was fit for the flighted, but had never used it. I love it though, and I think it's great for this club.

I have more rounds and range session with my clubs than I could possibly count (20 + rounds in 2011 so far). IMO mine look better than the provided picture. My short irons show wear with the 9 & PW being pronounced and basically through to the raw metal underneath, but it is very uniform whereas the picture did not seem uniform.

Pulled the trigger on these bad boys today. Every shot I hit felt amazing...real pure. Just have to wait a couple of weeks for them.....

The finish on mine is wearing really bad. It looks like the picture posted, but even worse. I'll post up a picture later today..

Pulled the trigger on these bad boys today. Every shot I hit felt amazing...real pure. Just have to wait a couple of weeks for them.....

Congrats! Enjoy.

Hit em long and straight. Congrats man

Tap tap taparoo

dsc00667gj.jpg

I bought a used set from Golfsmith.com and while the faces and chrome portion of the soles were mint, some of the irons looked exactly like the ones pictured, so I ended up returning them. This is the main reason I chose the R9's over the 2.0's

I'd like to keep this set for a couple of years and the 2.0's didn't look like they were going to hold up quite as well.

Congrats!
You are going to love these weapons.
I cannot express how happy I am with these.
I just shot my all time low round for my home course this morning.... 1 over...73.

Cheers boys. It's my 2nd set of clubs but my first that were properly fitted. I tried several sets, but these were by far the most consistent for me. After reading the Di11 review thread, I was convinced that I'd be walking out with a set of those with all the forgiveness that they offer........but just didn't do it for me.

Really looking forward to taking them out onto the course!

As far as I'm concerned the finish on these can do whatever it feels like in the next couple years because I love these more than any other club (non-putter) in my bag, its not even close. I'm truly getting deadly with my 2.0's.

Played Nemacolin Links in Pa. Awesome course! Can't wait to play the Mystic course. This is my 3rd round with the 2.0's and I'm crushing them long and straight. My GIR continue to improve and my fear of not having my extra hybrids in the bag are now gone. I continued to struggle with my driver and only bad iron shots were poor swings. A little over the top on a couple resulted in some bad pulls. My fault! Driver is another story. Lol. Last thing for me to get under control. But it is killing my scores.

Last hole was an up hill par 4. First shot was out of bounds. Dropped there and had a sprinkler head marked 167. Up hill into the wind from the ruff. My buddy says it should play like 180. I pulled my 4 iron. I know many of you are killing my distance. I catch it flush and send it screaming up the fairway towards the green. About 5 foot from the pin. A makable putt for me but I lipped it out. I'm happy with my bogey and it leave me craving for more shots with these new beauties. Finish after 3 rounds and a few range sessions is still incredible. A few marks on the face of the irons but the sole is beautiful.

On a side note I had credit at an online store and order a Burner 2.0 driver. 10.5 Stiff
Hopefully the 2 degree closed face will keep the rights a little less right. Lol

As far as I'm concerned the finish on these can do whatever it feels like in the next couple years because I love these more than any other club (non-putter) in my bag, its not even close. I'm truly getting deadly with my 2.0's.

I have to agree with you. I'm not too worried about the finish, especially when I hit them as well as I do.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

Hi Guys, just wanted to say thank you to all the testers for their posts - i look forward to the updates please keep them coming.
I took the game up nearly 2 years ago and now 19 Hcp and been using a set of long term 'loan' Di7s that need to be returned. Having read all the magazines reviews for GI irons and then found this review, I feel like I own a set - which is lucky as I have just booked myself in to the Belfry for a custom fit :) hurrah for end of month bonus:). You have even got me thinking about buying a set of iron covers due to the latest strand in this thread and the fact I won’t be getting another set of irons for a couple of years. ;-)

however: I am being offered the 4I- SW for a semi reasonable price custom fit , but whilst I am at it I was considering going the whole hog and getting the four wedgesthe AW and LW to go with them.
I am by no means a short game expert (HCP explained) but have gotten used to having four wedges ((52,56,60deg nike vrs) which are not borrowed so can keep them though 2 years old now. I have been working hard trying to establish known distances with them.
My question is: Have you found /would you estimate the difference in the 'new distance' you have with the PW mean that my existing wedge set would be left with a large gap. My current Wilson Di7 s leave about 25 yards from PW to 52Deg which is not ideal but may well be something to do with technique. All thoughts welcomed and hopefully this question is not a stupid one. Many Thanks and please keep up the great review.
Ps of course am going to the belfry with an open mind and be prepared to be told i would be better with another set of clubs;-)lol.

Awesome set ups I have the burner 2.0s as well... went from r5s to theses... these clubs are amazing! Nice pics!

Nova Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 2.0 SF TP 9.5 S Shaft
Wood: Burner 2.0 SF 3Wood S Shaft
Hybrid: Burner SF 2.0 18° S Shaft
Irons: Burner 2.0 4-PW,AW
Wedge: xFT 56°, (VOKEY 60°)
Putter: Ghost TM-110 34"
Ball: Penta

My bag since switching to the burners.

Cleveland xl270 10.5 R
Burner 2.0 SF Driver 10.5 S - on the way!
Cleveland FL 3 Wood 13* R
Cleveland M2 Mashie 17* R
Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW S
Cleveland 49 Niblick
Titleist 56 SW
Titleist Scotty Cameron Laguna 2

Man do I love the 3 wood and Mashie. The SC Putter is like butter. I've really gained confidence with it. I have a DG Spinner shaft for the SW. Having it lengthened to 36". I'm so stoked about these new irons and my new swing change. I think I now am close to being where I need to be to break 90. My driver is my nemesis. I have read the Burner 2.0 SF Driver is 2* closed. Can anyone confirm that?

Hi Guys, just wanted to say thank you to all the testers for their posts - i look forward to the updates please keep them coming.
I took the game up nearly 2 years ago and now 19 Hcp and been using a set of long term 'loan' Di7s that need to be returned. Having read all the magazines reviews for GI irons and then found this review, I feel like I own a set - which is lucky as I have just booked myself in to the Belfry for a custom fit :) hurrah for end of month bonus:). You have even got me thinking about buying a set of iron covers due to the latest strand in this thread and the fact I won’t be getting another set of irons for a couple of years. ;-)

however: I am being offered the 4I- SW for a semi reasonable price custom fit , but whilst I am at it I was considering going the whole hog and getting the four wedgesthe AW and LW to go with them.
I am by no means a short game expert (HCP explained) but have gotten used to having four wedges ((52,56,60deg nike vrs) which are not borrowed so can keep them though 2 years old now. I have been working hard trying to establish known distances with them.
My question is: Have you found /would you estimate the difference in the 'new distance' you have with the PW mean that my existing wedge set would be left with a large gap. My current Wilson Di7 s leave about 25 yards from PW to 52Deg which is not ideal but may well be something to do with technique. All thoughts welcomed and hopefully this question is not a stupid one. Many Thanks and please keep up the great review.
Ps of course am going to the belfry with an open mind and be prepared to be told i would be better with another set of clubs;-)lol.

Not a stupid question at all. Your gap between PW and 52* is 9 degrees!! I would say you have a rather large gap problem and not a talent/technique issue. The Burner 2.0 PW is 45*. IMO it is still too large a gap to go directly to 52*, which is why I badly want to get a set of wedges that fit into my set better. Glad you are keeping an open mind going into your fitting, I'm sure they will put you into fantastic clubs for your swing!

Back