What Are You Working On?

I had a Golftec swing Eval last week. I was at the range tonight working on the drill/swing thought.

I got into quite the groove. And was rewarded with ball flight I’ve never really seen before.

My drill is to get me to lower my hands as I start my down swing. This helps to correct my path. What I didn’t expect was I was also rewarded with apex I never see. It was a lot of fun blasting towering shots up and down my bag.

I need to keep working to engrain that feeling!

Putting. Train my eyes to go from the cup to the ball and then putt immediately. I think that is instinctively like shooting a puck into hockey net. My eyes see the spot I want to hit. Eyes go back to the puck and then I shot. Doing the same concept in putting

Routine once ball is on or near the green
Park my cart on the left side of the green
Read the green as I approach If I’m the further ball outside my partners ball. I mark and clean the replace ball immediately I will fix any ball marks along my line with tee/divot repair my right hand and tap the marks down with left arm /putter I read from the left side closer to the cup than the ball. Walk back to the ball and make practice strokes. Then putt or chip the ball. Then I observe my miss

Getting back to my putting routine. I've been feeling rushed at times so I haven't been diligent with it.
Same goes for my pre-shot routine.
All this "play faster" stuff has me out of sorts. I'm not a slow player, and am ready to hit when it's my turn. I've just been felling rushed in my mind. I don't tink anyone has ever complained about my pace of play.

Was at driving range /putting green. Spend 1-2 hours practicing. Developing my fade again for my irons. Tighten up my short game to reduce misses Experimenting with line on the ball for putting
ah ha moment with pitching. Using Gw/PW /9i. Works with pitching (shorter compact swing)
when I under 100 yards Lower driving like pitch towards the flag I feel the tip from Moe Norman. “ shake hands with the flagstick”.

1. Tempo - I have a tendency to go too slow or pause at the top, so actually counting 1-2-3 during my swing has helped.
2. Appropriate takeaway and rotation - it basically feels like the club head almost goes straight back from address, and at the top of the back swing my right knee is straight on the count of 2.
3. No early extension in the down swing - it feels like I'm aiming the butt end of the grip at the ball on 3, and then the club head naturally releases which tends to result in better contact.

Putting… 5 weeks in Tucson and still not used to these goofy greens

Great practice day.
Setup - for me to set up so the target (pin/cup) is always left in relation to the ball. Except for chipping
Putting. - shorter putts around 10 feet in. Aim for spot beyond the cup. Straight line. Trying out pencil putting grip. Works out
Longer putts. Conventional putting grip. Aim for 8 feet and focus on how much energy to into the ball instead of longer follow through

Chipping still struggle. Thing that help is is croutching down and read the green Try to setup target right of the ball. Chipping is more of an art than science

For me a fade is more natural. I’m looking a spot about a foot in fronof the ball. That is line with the apex of the fade ( window in the sky)
That’s how I fade when I set up
Working on the draw which much harder for me. Stuff that seems to work is line up my shoulders to the 5-10 yards left of the target Swing out to right field with a closed clubface.
Work in progression. I like like to stick with my fade but I find if I can draw my irons I can get a more penetrated flight with more compression. The fade with the irons is not consistent. But can be with the driver so stick with the fade with driver but not the irons

Hip turn in the take away.

short game - putting lettings the butt end of the putter move forward for longer putts
and short putts keeping the butt end pointed at the my belly button during the stroke
chipping - been focusing on the toe of my LW and how I can create different chipping shots with varying the toe flow

Last edited:
Everything short game related. I’ve finally realized that if I’m going to improve that’s how it’s going to happen. And it’s the easiest part of the game for me to practice since I can practice everything except sand shots at home

Putting face control today. Speed control is good.

Hibernating will soon end and goal for week 1 will focus on getting what will probably feel like octopuses feeling more like an octopus. 🐙

Adding width to the backswing by turning the shoulders more and using the arms less. Over the winter I tend to not rotate my shoulders as much and it hurts my timing and consistency.

Getting the left wrist straighter at impact, a better turn to reduce swaying, and a better path to eliminate my Out to In path.

It is honestly funner than I thought it would be, and I look forward to doing my drills almost every time so far.

Well. After my lesson on Monday, it decided to not only turn cold here again, it decided to rain... oh yeah and the wind. Mainly worked on indoor stuff a bit. Trying to get the feel of:
1) not coming over the top
2) right arm tucked in at my ribcage
3) following through where my right knee comes through and goes toward my inner left knee
4) imagining my hands meet the imaginary ball before the rest of the club does
5) in doing all of these things, keeping about 55%-60% of weight on front foot

Please let me know if these things sound "correct". I described these practices as best I could.

Loading the shaft at the end of the backswing more than during the transition

Setup position more waist bend and moving setup weight from 80 20 favorinh lead foot to 60 40 favoring the rear foot.

Avoiding the shoulder spin out early by working on the justin rose drill feel.

Well. After my lesson on Monday, it decided to not only turn cold here again, it decided to rain... oh yeah and the wind. Mainly worked on indoor stuff a bit. Trying to get the feel of:
1) not coming over the top
2) right arm tucked in at my ribcage
3) following through where my right knee comes through and goes toward my inner left knee
4) imagining my hands meet the imaginary ball before the rest of the club does
5) in doing all of these things, keeping about 55%-60% of weight on front foot

Please let me know if these things sound "correct". I described these practices as best I could.
Using your list.

#2 - tucking your trail arm to your rib cage is a good idea on the downswing, a bad idea on the backswing (it severely restricts your width and turn)

#5 - Weight under your feet should be dynamic, not static during the golf swing. You might start at address with 55-60% of your weight on the front foot, but a proper turn on the backswing should put a majority of that weight on the instep of your back foot. Then on the downswing the rotation should move most of the weight to the outside of your front foot, and at your finish position you should have virtually 100% of your weight on the front foot. To such a degree that at your finish position you should be able to lift your foot off the ground and not lose your balance.

Two things to straighten out my draw.
First, squaring the club at address. Sounds simple, but I have a bad habit of setting up w a closed club face. I just re gripped my clubs w align grips to help w that.
Second, a more upright swing path. Specifically not getting stuck in my natural “baseball” swing.
Yesterday was a good day on the range. Time to take it to the course.

Using your list.

#2 - tucking your trail arm to your rib cage is a good idea on the downswing, a bad idea on the backswing (it severely restricts your width and turn)

#5 - Weight under your feet should be dynamic, not static during the golf swing. You might start at address with 55-60% of your weight on the front foot, but a proper turn on the backswing should put a majority of that weight on the instep of your back foot. Then on the downswing the rotation should move most of the weight to the outside of your front foot, and at your finish position you should have virtually 100% of your weight on the front foot. To such a degree that at your finish position you should be able to lift your foot off the ground and not lose your balance.
Yeah this is the part that is really hindering any progress. It’s like my mind or body… or both just won’t compute this movement. Would practicing doing this with no ball or a foam ball be better? Just to get the movement down.

Yeah this is the part that is really hindering any progress. It’s like my mind or body… or both just won’t compute this movement. Would practicing doing this with no ball or a foam ball be better? Just to get the movement down.
Absolutely!

After my last video lesson I'm trying to improve my posture, balance, and takeaway

Back