TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Thanks for that picture dubbledxu. It seems yours is the same as mine. In fact it's most obvious to tell by how the circular part of the badge is cut through. Anyone got any speculation as to why the badge in the 8i is like this where others aren't???

Last edited:
Now, people have asked about surprise distances… well I had an experience yesterday that defies belief. An immense 7-iron shot. One so long it travelled further than a decent 4iron on a latter downhill par5. A shot that was extremely helpful, but which in other circumstance would have been catastrophic! Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin…

I really wasn’t fit to play. I’d hurt my stomach, back and right wrist playing a fortnight ago (no idea how), and from 15 warm-up balls, could feel I was going to beat myself up again. Somehow, the first 4 holes were a breeze, and I even outplayed my much lower handicap friend. But the golfing gods didn’t like my (pretend!) gloating, so that was the end of my enjoyment for the day. There was a frustrating wait on the 5th tee, I had the honours, a foursome had parked up behind... and I proceeded to take an 8”x8” divot and scuff my ball to 44yards. So I really didn’t take enough notice of what happened next. But since home, I’ve looked into it.

The hole is a par5, 498 yards, dog-leg towards a lake (at 250yards), then across or alongside it.

View attachment 3069
Click to enlarge. See note at end.

By my picture, you can see the yellow tees and position after 1st and 2nd shots. I teed off with a 5iron. Despite the awful 44yard fat, I didn’t dare play longer than a 7iron on my 2nd shot, given the nearest corner of the lake was now about 200yards away, just in case I drew it that way. Well I absolutely pured it. Not that I felt I had. I felt uncomfortable and sluggish, and as if there was still lots of room for playing a better feeling shot. But the ball took off, cutting the most perfect (fluked) line towards the turn, without ever threatening the OOB. I watched in disbelief as it rolled out of sight around the bend, and looked in disbelief when I found it yet further than I imagined it could have travelled!

Measuring on Google maps (and yes, converting to yards) tallies with the fact I was left 205yards to the pin…

My 2nd shot must have travelled 240-250yards!!!

I’ll plump for 240. And I really don’t think I had any helpful bounces, the hole is flat.

I now believe my clubs are going to play at 20yard gaps for me… when I become proficient at hitting consistently well:
SW 90
AW 110
PW130
9i 150
8i 170
7i 190
6i 210
5i 230
4i 250

But if a 7iron can fly to 240yards… :bulgy-eyes: …there might always be a surprise waiting to happen with these clubs!

I think it’ll be a long time before that really becomes a problem for me though!

[p.s. Can someone please tell me how to get images to display in these threads? I've added pictures as attachments before, but they don't show up without clicking them. I thought by hosting a picture at flickr I could link to it. I've tried putting the link in the URL box when clicking to add an image, but it doesn't display correctly. ]

Last edited:
I played a bad round last week, and a good round on Saturday. First, the bad.

It seems my bad round was more just being off than anything else. I struck the ball really bad last week. If I was to make an excuse, it was that there was 20-30 mph winds, but since I hate excuses, it seems I was just tyring to do too much and for the most part just sucked. I was hitting shots fat, thin, and hitting large fades with a couple of hooks thrown in. It was just all around ugly. I am usually a decent wind player, but not on this day. It is very hard to review the clubs when I really didn't do anything well. I maybe hit 5 or 6 good shots with my irons and the rest were just bad. I was trying to shape shots to compensate for the wind, and it really exposed my weaknesses. I learned that I just need to play my game, wind or not. I ended up shooting 92 (46-46) and it could have been worse. I was ok off the tee, and my putting was decent, but my iron play cost me 15 strokes. Hit 2 into the water with mid irons struck fat. Missed nearly every GIR and at least bogeyed all of the par 3's. To be honest, I am really hoping for another wind round so I can play my game and not change my strategy. Like I said earlier, this round was tough for me to give any type of review for the 2.0's, since my swing was so far off. I will say that it wasn't the clubs fault!

Weather did not permit me to get out and play a round, but I did get out to the range. I am really dialed in 6-SW. I feel like I rarely miss with them, and when I do, it's never a bad miss. I am still having some trouble keeping the 4 and 5 from fading, with the 4 being more of a slice then a fade, but if I put the ball on a tee with them, as if I were on a par 3, I tend to hit them much straighter. I feel like this is something I really need to work on, so my next range session may be a small bucket for nothing but the 4 and 5. Once I get the 4 and 5 dialed in, I fell like my iron play will be really strong, and consistent.

Weather did not permit me to get out and play a round, but I did get out to the range. I am really dialed in 6-SW. I feel like I rarely miss with them, and when I do, it's never a bad miss. I am still having some trouble keeping the 4 and 5 from fading, with the 4 being more of a slice then a fade, but if I put the ball on a tee with them, as if I were on a par 3, I tend to hit them much straighter. I feel like this is something I really need to work on, so my next range session may be a small bucket for nothing but the 4 and 5. Once I get the 4 and 5 dialed in, I fell like my iron play will be really strong, and consistent.

Yorkem,

I have a little of the same issues, but the good news for me is that the fade with the 4 and 5 is not too big and it is consistant, so I have confidence in the clubs still. I just aim a little left. :mohawk:

Yorkem,

I have a little of the same issues, but the good news for me is that the fade with the 4 and 5 is not too big and it is consistant, so I have confidence in the clubs still. I just aim a little left. :mohawk:

Well, I am glad to hear that I am not alone in this issue, and the 5 is pretty consistent, but the 4 is all over the place. I do feel like I am striking the ball well, so I think it will be a minor adjustment, I just need to put in some time.

I played a round early morning Saturday and boy was it night and day from my round last week. Shot 78 (37, 41). I struck the ball very well with the 2.0's and they were my strength. I only mis hit 1 ball and it was a 4 iron out of deep rough that still got about 180 yards of distance. Thankfully, it was on a par 5 and it was a layup anyway. I just love the feel and sound off the face on pure strikes. It makes me smile everytime. I love the KBS Tour shafts with the 2.0 head and when I am on, they are such a great setup for me. I don't have my scorecard or notes with me, so I will post stats later.

I played a round early morning Saturday and boy was it night and day from my round last week. Shot 78 (37, 41). I struck the ball very well with the 2.0's and they were my strength. I only mis hit 1 ball and it was a 4 iron out of deep rough that still got about 180 yards of distance. Thankfully, it was on a par 5 and it was a layup anyway. I just love the feel and sound off the face on pure strikes. It makes me smile everytime. I love the KBS Tour shafts with the 2.0 head and when I am on, they are such a great setup for me. I don't have my scorecard or notes with me, so I will post stats later.

That is not a bad miss hit considering it was coming out of the deep rough. I know what you are saying about the feel and sound. Sometimes I feel like I haven't even struck the ball because they are so smooth.

That is not a bad miss hit considering it was coming out of the deep rough. I know what you are saying about the feel and sound. Sometimes I feel like I haven't even struck the ball because they are so smooth.

So true, its like you hit nothing at all. If they didn't make that sweet sound, you wouldn't even know you hit anything. :)

Update!

I played this past weekend at the Oak Island Golf Club. Pretty fun course and it was in great shape. I played from the black tees (1 up from back).

I don't have my score card with me so I'll keep this one short.

The front to put it simply, I played awful. I didn't lose many balls, just couldn't put it onto the green. I had 0 GIR for the front 9 holes and shot a wonderful 50.

The guy we were playing with decided to have fun (probably after seeing me play the front) and said lets play $1 a hole. Well, something clicked and I started playing seriously. From that point on, I hit the ball well. Striped every tee shot down the fairway and hit 8/9 GIR. Shot a 37 on the back and won $18 bucks (9 from each person playing).

After my round I went back home and started talking with my dad about my clubs. We both took a look at the 2.0's and wondered if they were fit correctly for me. I've mentioned to him that I think they are about 1/2" too long and a bit too upright. I'm going to go for a fitting this week and see what they say about this. I feel like I have to stand up too high and force the toe down versus standing comfortably. Who knows, this may be the problem. :D

Update!

I played this past weekend at the Oak Island Golf Club. Pretty fun course and it was in great shape. I played from the black tees (1 up from back).

I don't have my score card with me so I'll keep this one short.

The front to put it simply, I played awful. I didn't lose many balls, just couldn't put it onto the green. I had 0 GIR for the front 9 holes and shot a wonderful 50.

The guy we were playing with decided to have fun (probably after seeing me play the front) and said lets play $1 a hole. Well, something clicked and I started playing seriously. From that point on, I hit the ball well. Striped every tee shot down the fairway and hit 8/9 GIR. Shot a 37 on the back and won $18 bucks (9 from each person playing).

After my round I went back home and started talking with my dad about my clubs. We both took a look at the 2.0's and wondered if they were fit correctly for me. I've mentioned to him that I think they are about 1/2" too long and a bit too upright. I'm going to go for a fitting this week and see what they say about this. I feel like I have to stand up too high and force the toe down versus standing comfortably. Who knows, this may be the problem. :D

Did you not go for a fitting prior to ordering these with your specs?

Did you not go for a fitting prior to ordering these with your specs?

I went in and asked what the guy thought. I did not get a full fitting with them. Learned my lesson about this.

Just curious what weight shaft this is? I love the 2.0s and the CG16s, but the 85 gram shaft accentuates my flaw of coming over the top I think. This spring I hit both of these and the Razr with the Uniflex shaft and had much better attack angle #'s with the Razr which the fitter and I thought was weight related.

Finally picked these up today and went straight to the range. Smacked about 250 balls and absolutely love 'em!! Huge distance increase (as expected) but something that I'll relish going forward. PW goes about 120-130m and 8i was going up to 145m (roughly 150 yards). That's massive for me. Still a lot to get used to and as I got into it and adjusted my swing somewhat, I dialed in the distances a little more. But you can definitely feel the trampoline effect of the face when hit pure. Feels absolutely amazing!

I must say, these are really forgiving......as others have pointed out. Even on mishits they'd carry 3/4 of the distance which is crazy. It also helps that they're my first fitted set which is helping. Can't wait to try them again and again and hopefully by the weekend get out onto the course.

Definitely recommend these to any mid-high handicappers. Very straight, long and forgiving. The only thing I didn't like were the grips which suck balls!! Need to change these ASAP.

Ok, I went for a fitting yesterday after feeling that the 2.0's were not quite fit right. Interestingly enough, the clubs were almost perfectly fit for me. They said I should be a +3/4" instead of +1". Lie angle was perfect.

The fitter noticed something though and I think this was the cause of my frustrations. For some reason, I had been holding my arms out (away from my body) since I felt like the lie angle was too upright. He showed me that the lie angle was perfect and I started hitting from my normal relaxed position. I started striking the ball much better and with no hooks! So it looks like it was all in my head. :dohanim:

I play tomorrow and can't wait to see how this new found knowledge will help.

Finally picked these up today and went straight to the range. Smacked about 250 balls and absolutely love 'em!! Huge distance increase (as expected) but something that I'll relish going forward. PW goes about 120-130m and 8i was going up to 145m (roughly 150 yards). That's massive for me. Still a lot to get used to and as I got into it and adjusted my swing somewhat, I dialed in the distances a little more. But you can definitely feel the trampoline effect of the face when hit pure. Feels absolutely amazing!

I must say, these are really forgiving......as others have pointed out. Even on mishits they'd carry 3/4 of the distance which is crazy. It also helps that they're my first fitted set which is helping. Can't wait to try them again and again and hopefully by the weekend get out onto the course.

Definitely recommend these to any mid-high handicappers. Very straight, long and forgiving. The only thing I didn't like were the grips which suck balls!! Need to change these ASAP.

That's great buddy! You will love them even more when you get them on the course. They really are awesome!

Ok, I went for a fitting yesterday after feeling that the 2.0's were not quite fit right. Interestingly enough, the clubs were almost perfectly fit for me. They said I should be a +3/4" instead of +1". Lie angle was perfect.

The fitter noticed something though and I think this was the cause of my frustrations. For some reason, I had been holding my arms out (away from my body) since I felt like the lie angle was too upright. He showed me that the lie angle was perfect and I started hitting from my normal relaxed position. I started striking the ball much better and with no hooks! So it looks like it was all in my head. :dohanim:

Well that's hardly ever been the problem. hahahaha! JK buddy. That is good to hear. I am glad that it was just something very minor, and you can now get back to smoking the ball 3 ways...long, high, and straight!

Well, now you have confidence that the clubs are fit right for you, so take that confidence to the course and DOMINATE! :mohawk:

Just curious what weight shaft this is? I love the 2.0s and the CG16s, but the 85 gram shaft accentuates my flaw of coming over the top I think. This spring I hit both of these and the Razr with the Uniflex shaft and had much better attack angle #'s with the Razr which the fitter and I thought was weight related.

I have the stiff 120g KBS Tours. I am coming from an R9 setup with 90g KBS and have found that the added weight feels much better to me.

Just returned from a range session and I was really hitting the B2s well. Surprisingly, my best irons were the 5 & 6, with the 6 iron distance coming in around 195. This is a bit further than my normal distances, but we had absolutely perfect weather today so the ball was flying. I did have a few bad misses off the toe with the short irons, but I cant figure out if im standing too close or what keeps causing my toe miss.

I agree with the TM stock grips, I remember how awful I thought they were when using a friend's demo 6 iron.

I've read that the Burner 85 shafts are flighted and designed to give the higher lofted irons a lower trajectory.

Do you guys find this to be true?

Any other comments on the Burner shafts?

Just returned from a range session and I was really hitting the B2s well. Surprisingly, my best irons were the 5 & 6, with the 6 iron distance coming in around 195. This is a bit further than my normal distances, but we had absolutely perfect weather today so the ball was flying. I did have a few bad misses off the toe with the short irons, but I cant figure out if im standing too close or what keeps causing my toe miss.

I agree with the TM stock grips, I remember how awful I thought they were when using a friend's demo 6 iron.

I have the stock grips, and I have to say, they really don't bother me at all, but I think I am the only one, because everyone else seems to be complaining about them. 195yds with the 6 is crushed! You are a good 20 yards longer than me my friend.

I have the stock grips, and I have to say, they really don't bother me at all, but I think I am the only one, because everyone else seems to be complaining about them. 195yds with the 6 is crushed! You are a good 20 yards longer than me my friend.

Hell...he's got 10 yards on me!

I really wish that I had gotten the multi compounds on my clubs. The stock grips are very slippery to me. I'll upgrade them in a few months or so.

I've liked the 2.0 stock grips from the off. Felt comfortable and tacky enough. One round in very wet conditions I was struggling to hold on to the clubs, but I've decided to avoid play in the rain - golf can be frustrating enough without making your life even harder! I didn't like the stock grips on the r9 irons I felt in a shop.

I've read that the Burner 85 shafts are flighted and designed to give the higher lofted irons a lower trajectory.

Do you guys find this to be true?

Any other comments on the Burner shafts?

I wish I could help you, but I was fit to the Project X 5.5 (non flighted. I dont see any ballooning, but have a pretty consistent trajectory.

195yds with the 6 is crushed! You are a good 20 yards longer than me my friend.

I have always been pretty long with my irons, but its the direction that I need to keep working on :banghead:

Hell...he's got 10 yards on me!

I really wish that I had gotten the multi compounds on my clubs. The stock grips are very slippery to me. I'll upgrade them in a few months or so.

I took a bit of a gamble on with my VDR grips, but I am really liking them so far. The Multi-Compound was my #2 choice, but my last set seemed to get slick over the winter.

Back