Blind Ball Testing Review Thread

I play each of these balls from time to time.

Titleist Pro V1 - Ball X has similar if not a tad more distance for me and seems like less side spin. The Pro V1 spins a touch more on the green and is not as durable. Trajectory is very similar for me.

Taylormade Penta - Ball X has a lower trajectory for me with a similar straight flight and little ballooning. The soft Penta cover cuts very easily and stains quickly. Again the distances off the driver were very similar even with the higher flight, with a better rollout on the greens going to Ball X.

Bridgestone B330-RX - I actually see Ball X as being one from this family. My guess is a tough E6 cover with in a three piece ball. A bit more distance from Ball X with a bit more spin and similar soft feel, (may be coming from the better compression feel). I originally thought B330-RXS and could still slide that way.

Bridgestone e6 - Very similar dimple pattern along with the 330 line. Ball X seemed to have all the properties of this ball to me while adding more greenside spin and softer feel, especially off the putter. Similar trajectory and driver distance with the edge to Ball X.

Ok, there's my perspective for all the world, lol. I bet I'm way off, but without getting it on a monitor myself it comes down to subjection. Thank to THP and the Mystery companies for allowing me to be involved in this testing, I really had a blast as did several friends who got to give me their take.

If you're wrong, I'm wrong. We have similar thoughts comparing it to the Pro V1 & Penta.

It's ok though, i've been wrong once before.

If you're wrong, I'm wrong. We have similar thoughts comparing it to the Pro V1 & Penta.

It's ok though, i've been wrong once before.

Lol, ONCE! I really liked this ball and plan to purchase this ball for daily use once its revealed, (if I can afford it, haha). I actually shot two of my low rounds this year with this ball.

Lol, ONCE! I really liked this ball and plan to purchase this ball for daily use once its revealed, (if I can afford it, haha). I actually shot two of my low rounds this year with this ball.

That is saying a lot for this ball there duey!

The testing has been going on for several weeks now. Can people offer some comparisons to other balls at this point? For instance take these 5 balls and compare the mystery ball to it.

Titleist Pro V1
Taylormade Penta
Bridgestone B330-RX
Bridgestone e6
Titleist NXT Tour

Well, as you know, I finally got my hands on some of these "blind" balls, while in Florida. I actually put them into play when we played Grand Cypress so I have a few thoughts on them. I can't really compare this ball to any of the balls you mentioned above except for the B330RX, which I have a lot of experience with. I actually think the mystery ball is a bit better off the tee. It feels really solid and to me, felt like I might be hitting it further. It was eerily similar to the RX out of the fairway (off of the irons). Felt like I could compress it, and it reacted quite well. Around the greens I wasn't seeing tons of spin like I've read about. I hit the ball higher so pretty much everything hits and is usually in the vicinity of its pitch mark. I use a putter with an insert, so off the putter, it feels like many other golf balls.

I do think it's a premium ball though, it just feels like one to me. Solid off the tee, with nice feel. Not overly hard but not too soft either. Durability was really good and that's always a good thing. I'm curious to find out what it is. I'm not overly wow'd by it, but then again, I've only played one round of golf with it.

I think I can speak for just about all the testers when I say there is a good bit of anticipation or that announcement!

...just tap it in...

+1 Million on this statement! Very big eye opener :bulgy-eyes: for a lot of testers. Me being included in that!!

No announcement yet, but its coming pretty soon.

Can you give is an idea? Another week? weeks or days?

Titleist Pro V1: Mystery Ball is not as spinny as the ProV1, which is good for me. That ball spins waay to much off driver for me, yet isn't very long off the tee either. The mystery ball is very good off the tee, as the launch monitor indicated my side-spin is pretty low and I am very pleased with the trajectory. Around the greens can't tell a huge difference, granted it's been a little while since I've played the ProV but I don't need a tremendous amount of spin around the green. Mystery ball works just fine for me.

Taylormade Penta: Very good comparison. The Penta is in my top 2 balls, I love it off every club in the bag, but especially (sp) from 9I through 58*, it just feels so soft, unlike any other ball I've tried, yet doesn't feel like jello either. Almost like it sticks to the face for lack of a better description. Mystery ball is a little longer, with maybe a slight lesser greenside spin. I do find it harder to play a low but high spinning wedge shot with the mystery ball compared to the penta, I've been working on that shot a good bit and feel like I could get better with the mystery ball however.

Bridgestone B330-RX: My other favorite ball. Honestly I struggle to tell the difference between this and the mystery ball, except the mystery ball appears to be a tad longer. Both offer exceptional ball flight throughout the bag and wonderful action around the green.

Bridgestone e6: No comparison, I despise the e6 in every possible way. That's not a slam against it, it's great for some people and that's awesome but it's not for me. Mushy off the tee, clicky off the irons and stops like a train on the greens.

Titleist NXT Tour: I've never played this ball long enough to form a thought.

Can you give is an idea? Another week? weeks or days?

All I can say is soon. We dont know yet as there are still some testing and we are hoping for more feedback as always. This has been a fun test and something we have enjoyed quite a bit.

Titleist Pro V1: Mystery Ball is not as spinny as the ProV1, which is good for me. That ball spins waay to much off driver for me, yet isn't very long off the tee either. The mystery ball is very good off the tee, as the launch monitor indicated my side-spin is pretty low and I am very pleased with the trajectory. Around the greens can't tell a huge difference, granted it's been a little while since I've played the ProV but I don't need a tremendous amount of spin around the green. Mystery ball works just fine for me.

Taylormade Penta: Very good comparison. The Penta is in my top 2 balls, I love it off every club in the bag, but especially (sp) from 9I through 58*, it just feels so soft, unlike any other ball I've tried, yet doesn't feel like jello either. Almost like it sticks to the face for lack of a better description. Mystery ball is a little longer, with maybe a slight lesser greenside spin. I do find it harder to play a low but high spinning wedge shot with the mystery ball compared to the penta, I've been working on that shot a good bit and feel like I could get better with the mystery ball however.

Bridgestone B330-RX: My other favorite ball. Honestly I struggle to tell the difference between this and the mystery ball, except the mystery ball appears to be a tad longer. Both offer exceptional ball flight throughout the bag and wonderful action around the green.

Bridgestone e6: No comparison, I despise the e6 in every possible way. That's not a slam against it, it's great for some people and that's awesome but it's not for me. Mushy off the tee, clicky off the irons and stops like a train on the greens.

I would agree with you completely buddy.

I would agree with you completely buddy.

All I can say is soon. We dont know yet as there are still some testing and we are hoping for more feedback as always. This has been a fun test and something we have enjoyed quite a bit.
I have a couple left, so will be able to test them for a few more rounds at least. During my testing, i've noticed more distance off my irons. I am picking up my set of Burner 2.0s tonight, so really interested to see the results of this ball with the new set.

Agree with your points about the Pro V1 and the Penta.

What I am learning from this is that I really need to try out the B330s...never played them, I have a feeling I have been missing out on a great ball.

I have a couple left, so will be able to test them for a few more rounds at least. During my testing, i've noticed more distance off my irons. I am picking up my set of Burner 2.0s tonight, so really interested to see the results of this ball with the new set.

What I am learning from this is that I really need to try out the B330s...never played them, I have a feeling I have been missing out on a great ball.

The mystery ball plays more like the Tour B330 than the B330S to me. You might want to start there.

The mystery ball plays more like the Tour B330 than the B330S to me. You might want to start there.

Thanks TC, will definitely give it a go.

The closest I got was playing three ball's against Ball X, B330-RX/B330-RXS/E6. Ball X fit closer to the RX than anything for myself.

The testing has been going on for several weeks now. Can people offer some comparisons to other balls at this point? For instance take these 5 balls and compare the mystery ball to it.

Titleist Pro V1
Taylormade Penta
Bridgestone B330-RX
Bridgestone e6
Titleist NXT Tour

Penta Ball X was a bit straighter off the tee for me. Distance was similar. The Penta would draw or fade about 10 years more on similar shots off the tee. Penta would spin a bit better around the green.

B330-RX Ball X was again straighter off the tee and a bit longer. Around the green the two seem very similar.

e6 Ball X seems straighter than this ball as well but not by a large margin. Distance seems to be slightly less than the e6 primarily due to the roll out. I can't get the e6 to stop for me at all around the green and this is where the biggest differnece seems to be between these two balls.

I do have one left and have some testing planned for the weekend that will include the Pro V1 and Pro V1x.

Griff I just want to say you have done an amazing job in this testing. Thanks buddy!!:srixon::nike::callaway::bridgestone::taylormade:

Thanks CL! Means a lot coming from you, love your testing.

Good stuff griff, I too have stated that I would love to see this ball in yellow, I really miss that from my RX's. I have only compared it to either the Penta or the RX, have not tried any midpriced balls like the e6 so I enjoyed your write up and am not surprised at the difference in green holding ablility between the 2 balls you tested. I like the ball enough that I am planning to game it in our blitz tomorrow and see how well it performs in a competitive setting. Looking forward to seeing what the mystery ball is.

Thanks DD! I said this earlier, noticing more tour ball performance rather than recreational ball performance. Sad that I doubt this comes in yellow.

Titleist Pro V1
Taylormade Penta
Bridgestone B330-RX
Bridgestone e6
Titleist NXT Tour

Pro Vs - Been a long while since I hit these. I have some, maybe from 08? and will give them a shot. Been using Z Stars as my tour ball comparison for the testing.

Pentas - Never used them.

B330 RX - I keep meaning to buy this ball and keep making excuses not to. It was recommended to me at a Bstone fitting as an alternative to the E6.

NXT Tour - Never used them.

E6 - see page 61. Most accurate ball I have ever hit, but comes with the cost of being a little difficult to control around the greens.

Anyone consider this being the new Penta 322(I think that's the name)?

More great posts guys, the more I read the more I'm sure what this ball might be. Anyway, great job to all the testers, keep em coming!

I think this is the whole purpose of blind testing....everyone seems to be liking this ball and wants to game it however if it's revealed to be a 'lesser ball' would it be used going forward? Probably not because of the ego factor. If it turns out to be something that works for someone's game then it should be used without any feelings of silliness at all

Actually I would game it even if it was a Topflite or a Maxfli or a Pinnacle....the fact is, right now it seems to work very well for my game, so I don't care what logo it has on it.

Thanks war.eagle, I did skim through parts of the thread!
Not a problem. Skim happens.

Actually I would game it even if it was a Topflite or a Maxfli or a Pinnacle....the fact is, right now it seems to work very well for my game, so I don't care what logo it has on it.
I have said that same thing Tim. The ball fits into my game, and if it happens to be a cheap ball, well, it seems to be working for me. Since I have gotten this ball roughly 3 weeks ago, I have played 5 full rounds with it, those scores being 80,80,79,78,81. Also, I have had my first ever under par 9 hole round, shot a -1, 35.

Not a problem. Skim happens.

I have said that same thing Tim. The ball fits into my game, and if it happens to be a cheap ball, well, it seems to be working for me. Since I have gotten this ball roughly 3 weeks ago, I have played 5 full rounds with it, those scores being 80,80,79,78,81. Also, I have had my first ever under par 9 hole round, shot a -1, 35.

Those are really good scores, keep posting scores like that and you will be a single digit handicap very soon.

Back