Nobody talking about PING G20?

T-BONE82

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey folks,
i find it hard to beleive there are no threads on the new PING G20 driver. I thought of all places this would be the place.

Any thoughts by those who have hit this driver? I've recently hit the K15 and was absolutely BOMBING it but i heard from a friend of mine who was at a PING Demo day that the G20 puts it to shame.

I am in the market for a new driver. I'm hitting a 2007 TM Burner which up until yesterday i thought was fine until i hit the K15 and realized that my driver now feels like and performs like a wet noodle.

Naturally, i'm curious now.

All thoughts are welcome, good and bad.

I just dont think there is much of a difference. I think Ping needs to revisit their product IMO. The driver looks identical to the G15 and they still dont have much in the way of upgradable shafts. I just feel like you can get more for your $$ elsewhere.

I haven't seen one yet.

Thanks JB i'll check it out.

To me it looks like a mix between the G15 and the K15. Honestly the look is not what really concerns me. As long as it looks like a driver it's good enough for me. The most important for me is how it performs. I know the G15 is very popular and this is supposed to be better than that from what i've heard and read.

I'm looking for a place to hit one outdoors but golf season is coming to close around here and a lot of places have sold off their demo clubs or have not received this club yet.

After hitting the K15 i'm very intrigued by this one. The K15 was an absolute monster for me and they are the same price but the G20 is supposed to be more forgiving.

Last edited:
I guess my thought is that the thread says nobody is talking about the G20, but there are huge threads on it.
THP just got samples yesterday and will add to those threads and have a home page review.
G15 more forgiving than K15? Not for me it wasnt.

This past weekend I went and tried out the G20 at an indoor range. Played a 10.5* with a stock TFC stiff shaft. My normal driver is the G15 10.5* with the stock TFC stiff shaft. I had a launch monitor next to me that I was monitoring as well.

I must say that I was a bit disappointed with the G20. I found it to be very similar ball flight to the K15 which I struggle to keep down. The G20 was producing some seriously high launch angles (18-19*) for my swing speed. I was also getting much higher spin numbers.

G20 Data:
Average SS: 112-114
Average Launch Angle: 17-19*
Backspin: 3500-4500
Side spin: +/- 200
Carry: 260
Total: 270

G15 Data:
Average Launch Angle: 12-14*
Backspin: 2500-3000
Sidespin: +/- 200
Carry: 275
Total: 295

this i would love to see/compare because if it's longer than what I'm getting out of the K15 right now then it could be in the bag pronto

Hey folks,
i find it hard to beleive there are no threads on the new PING G20 driver. I thought of all places this would be the place.

Any thoughts by those who have hit this driver? I've recently hit the K15 and was absolutely BOMBING it but i heard from a friend of mine who was at a PING Demo day that the G20 puts it to shame.

I am in the market for a new driver. I'm hitting a 2007 TM Burner which up until yesterday i thought was fine until i hit the K15 and realized that my driver now feels like and performs like a wet noodle.

Naturally, i'm curious now.

All thoughts are welcome, good and bad.

me either...

I guess my thought is that the thread says nobody is talking about the G20, but there are huge threads on it.
THP just got samples yesterday and will add to those threads and have a home page review.

The K15 was much more forgiving for me than the G15...

Thanks JB i'll check it out.

To me it looks like a mix between the G15 and the K15. Honestly the look is not what really concerns me. As long as it looks like a driver it's good enough for me. The most important for me is how it performs. I know the G15 is very popular and this is supposed to be better than that from what i've heard and read.

I'm looking for a place to hit one outdoors but golf season is coming to close around here and a lot of places have sold off their demo clubs or have not received this club yet.

After hitting the K15 i'm very intrigued by this one. The K15 was an absolute monster for me and they are the same price but the G15 is supposed to be more forgiving.

I was able to demo the G20 driver last weekend. Great club but to me it did not perform any better (or any worse) than my current K15 or the G15 I had before it. I tend to agree with many that Ping did not do a lot here as far as technology goes. Status quo seems to be the word with this line. Pretty hard right now though for them to improve on the K15. It is pretty straight when you need it to be but can still be worked with ease.

Two tour wins last weekend for this line, which was pretty good for Ping and G20 line.

Sorry my mistake I meant to say G20 is supposedly more forgiving than the K15

I think the G20 is pretty good myself... It's basically a more neutural weighted K15.

My opinion so far is........straighter than G15, maybe a little more distance on miss-hits, but about the same as far as distance is concerned.

This past weekend I went and tried out the G20 at an indoor range. Played a 10.5* with a stock TFC stiff shaft. My normal driver is the G15 10.5* with the stock TFC stiff shaft. I had a launch monitor next to me that I was monitoring as well.

I must say that I was a bit disappointed with the G20. I found it to be very similar ball flight to the K15 which I struggle to keep down. The G20 was producing some seriously high launch angles (18-19*) for my swing speed. I was also getting much higher spin numbers.

G20 Data:

G15 Data:

WHOA - with swing speeds like that, shouldn't you be well into the X-Stiff range? That seems a little strange. Good numbers, nonetheless!

I thought it wasn't bad, but this was also the first Ping driver I tried. Fairly straight and reliable - I think I hit many other drivers farther and "better" but by the same token my bad shots with the Ping weren't as bad as they were with the other drivers.

As for upgradable shafts, I thought I got a TGW catalog the other day that had the G20 driver with pretty much all the available shafts around (obviously the premium shafts up the total price though).

It's a weird driver. It left me with a good feeling, but it wasn't one of those "OMG I NEED IT" feels.

WHOA - with swing speeds like that, shouldn't you be well into the X-Stiff range? That seems a little strange. Good numbers, nonetheless!

Really? I dont know, with those numbers, I would not change a thing in the G15.

G20 Data:

G15 Data:

Thanks for the info, Jef. The G15 was not the club for me because it provided too low of a backspin rate. The G20, atleast with your experience, increased backspin and launch angle. I might give it a run to see if it produces better numbers than my supertri.

When getting fit for my driver, they had my try x-stiff in multiple shafts. For some reason, I kept connecting really well with the stock TFC in stiff. It showed me the best numbers, so I went with it.

Also, those numbers are on a simulator (at one point it showed a swing speed of 141 :bulgy-eyes:). Normally I average about 270-280 on a real course to keep it under control.

Hit the G20 driver today(found out my uncle got a complete G20 set a few weeks back as well) and I wasn't exactly liking the shaft choices for me. But I did find out something surprising. I have a swing speed of over 115. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that number, 3 straight swings were 115/117/114, but the G20 wasn't what I was expecting.

I was hitting the ball off center and wasn't really feeling a sweet spot at all. I just never felt a pure shot really nothing soft. I know if I hit it again I might feel a difference but overall not impressed maybe a different shaft would help.

Back