Out of Bounds question

I might be wrong, but in that case isnt it the same? If you hit it in the middle of the lake you have to tee it back up dont you? Unless it hit ground first then you can take it from where it entered the hazard?

Depends on where it last crossed the boundary of the hazard. On most water hazards you may drop where it last crossed the hazard.

There are rule questions all the time in Jr golf your son needs to be able to call someone's infraction if needed. If him and the other player disagree either get a rules official out there or play two balls for that hole. Have him drop as he thought and go back to the tee and play. At the end of the round bring up the situation to an official then. Hope that this is understandable. Funny enough look at this months golf digest there's a whole page on OB play.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Rule 3-3...One of the very first things I learned during the Rules Seminars for Atlanta Junior Golf. It's a very important rule, especially when there isn't a rules official. Essentially the kid your son played with should have been disqualified since he signed for a score lower than he actually had. Next time remember and use this rule!

I might be wrong, but in that case isnt it the same? If you hit it in the middle of the lake you have to tee it back up dont you? Unless it hit ground first then you can take it from where it entered the hazard?

It doesn't matter whether the ball flys in the middle of the hazard or hits the ground first then goes in....instead of re-hitting the shot from where you last played, you can go to the point where the ball last crossed the hazard (this will be the same point if both shots went on the same line). From there you can either take two club-lengths from the nearest point of relief or you can go as far back as you want keeping that point, the hole, and you in the same line. Hope this clears up the rules for you! :)

Did the offender's score affect any outcome of the tournament? Was it a team event or an individual event?

It was an individual tournament and yes it did affect the outcome but it's fine as this is a teachable moment his my son's learning the game. There were only four in his age group and he would have finished third but at this point I am more interested in him understanding the game as he just started playing July.

It was an individual tournament and yes it did affect the outcome but it's fine as this is a teachable moment his my son's learning the game. There were only four in his age group and he would have finished third but at this point I am more interested in him understanding the game as he just started playing July.

If it affected the outcome, no matter who it affected, it should be brought up. What if this guy won (did he?) when he should have been DQ'd?

Some of the PGA golf rules are just mean spirited. For example fixing spike marks and when putting, grounding your club and the ball moves on you.

Glad it was a teachable for a young golfer though.

Carp Hawk, I just figured out what you meant by this! bad smallie, bad.

Oops got lots of us smalls....although it probably should have been moved to the "golf" section...not really a question for the GolfTec guys

I can't belive seem people think OB is a stroke an distance penalty. OB is always a reload from the wherever you played the shot weather it be on the tee, in the farway or in the rough.

There is no debate here, this is the rules.

I can't belive seem people think OB is a stroke an distance penalty. OB is always a reload from the wherever you played the shot weather it be on the tee, in the farway or in the rough.

There is no debate here, this is the rules.

First you have to understand what the term stroke and distance means;

27-1. Stroke and Distance; Ball Out of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes

dc3011a2-b87e-4808-a0f1-521486cffb79.gif
a. Proceeding Under Stroke and Distance
At any time, a player may, under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5), i.e., proceed under penalty of stroke and distance.
Except as otherwise provided in the Rules, if a player makes a stroke at a ball from the spot at which the original ball was last played, he is deemed to have proceeded under penalty of stroke and distance.
b. Ball Out of Bounds
If a ball is out of bounds, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).
c. Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes
If a ball is lost as a result of not being found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player's Side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

Some of the PGA golf rules are just mean spirited. For example fixing spike marks and when putting, grounding your club and the ball moves on you.

Glad it was a teachable for a young golfer though.

I agree on the spike mark rule and I'm one who believes we will see that one changed in the near future. The other one you mention seems ok to me and it will never be changed.

Just some clarification regarding taking relief from a water hazzard (with a penalty of 1 stroke of course). There is a difference between Yellow Stakes and Red Stakes.

Yellow Stakes: Three Options:
Option A.) Play it from the hazzard (if you can)
Option B.)Rehit from the point where the last shot was taken
Option C.)Drop the Ball behind the water hazzard (as far back as you like) keeping a straight line from the Hole, Point of entry in the hazzard (not where it hit, but where it crossed the margin) and where you drop the ball. (There is no two club option here).

Red Stakes: Five Options:
The three above, A, B, C
Option D.) Drop within two club lengths of where the ball last crossed the hazzard margin (NO CLOSER TO THE HOLE) This is often helpful in situations where you clear the hazzard near the green, but it rolls back into the hazzard. (If the hazzard is yellow, this would not have been an option).
Option E.) This one is pretty tricky!!!!
Take a drop on the opposite side of the hazzard which is equidistant from the hole.

Trying to understand this option, I think this is the distance (if you dropped directly back from where you ball crossed the margin).

when would one use this option: If you were to drop directly behind the hole (or within two club lengths) but it would be in a sand bunker, heavy fescue, or leaves you with no green to work with because the hole is tucked BUT dropping on the opposite side (same distance) it is fairway and gives you plenty of green to work with.

Hope that helps.

if it is red staked that is okay, but he would have to go no closer to the hole. what he would have HAD to have done was go back to the tee box and tee-off again.

driver: :nike: machspeed black
3 wood: :nike: V pro
hybrid: :titleist:
Irons: :titleist: ap2
Wedges: :titleist: vokey wedges
Putter: :taylormade: Ghost
Ball: :titeist: Pro v1

27-1. Stroke and Distance; Ball Out of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes

At any time, a player may, under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5), i.e., proceed under penalty of stroke and distance.
Except as otherwise provided in the Rules, if a player makes a stroke at a ball from the spot at which the original ball was last played, he is deemed to have proceeded under penalty of stroke and distance.
b. Ball Out of Bounds
If a ball is out of bounds, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).
If a ball is lost as a result of not being found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player's Side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

I agree on the spike mark rule and I'm one who believes we will see that one changed in the near future. The other one you mention seems ok to me and it will never be changed.

So you didn't hit the ball or intend to hit the ball but ball moves due to wind, shifting of tectonic plates etc ... yet you get a dinged b/c you grounded the putter? Sorry I just don't get it ...

So you didn't hit the ball or intend to hit the ball but ball moves due to wind, shifting of tectonic plates etc ... yet you get a dinged b/c you grounded the putter? Sorry I just don't get it ...

IF you ground your putter you are intending to make the stroke and if it moves thats tough, it's a tough rule but a rule non the less. PAdraig Harrington was penalised a few years ago, he always set up a grounded his putter then backed off and made his 3 practice strokes ar per his routine, whilst making the practice swings away from the ball the ball moved and he got penalised, it's a tough rule but if he had set up without grounding he would have benefitted from the move as the ball got closer to hole and could have been played from there.

b. Ball Out of Bounds

I understand the term stroke and distance but many people refer to having a stroke and distance penalty when they lose the ball ie. drop the ball under penalty at the distance roughly where the lost ball appeared to have landed. This is fine if agreed to prior and only on bounce games with some buddies to help keep your game moving on and not holding up groups behind you but never ever in competition play.

Where do you draw the line? Lots of balls get moved by grounding clubs. Many believe this could be the most violated rule in golf. Who will become the judge to decide whether a player moved the ball, equipment moved the ball or mother nature moved the ball? I just see this as one rule that will never get changed.

When the conditions are rough i.e windy, you simply do not ground your club. Pretty simple really.

Back