Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

I got some video of Spiff hitting the heavy 3W off the teebox yesterday, but having some trouble uploading it. Think I need to kick my router in the azz.
Was very impressed by what I saw, unfortunatley I couldn't try it as Spiff is one of those slaves to conformity and hits right handed. :D

As soon as I get it uploaded I'll post it here

Nice, cant wait to see it. Im even more excited to play tomorrow

I got some video of Spiff hitting the heavy 3W off the teebox yesterday, but having some trouble uploading it. Think I need to kick my router in the azz.
Was very impressed by what I saw, unfortunatley I couldn't try it as Spiff is one of those slaves to conformity and hits right handed. :D

As soon as I get it uploaded I'll post it here

Thanks Ron!

Wow yesterday was a good day... I got to hit the Heavy 3w quite a bit out on the course and I only had 2 bad shots with it and that was DEFINITELY operator error.

On the range I demoed a Ping I-15 as well to compare it to the H3w. As previously mentioned I prefer to hit 3wood off the deck but that is now evening out. I hit about 7 shots with the i-15 and then 7 with the H3w. They both launch pretty low especially off the deck, but at that moment the forgiveness of the H3w was considerably better than the i-15. I was left,right and short with the i-15. The H3w was about 5-10yds longer and most misses would be fades of about 5-10yds. I then hit about 5 off the tee with both and hit each about 5 or 6 times. I was able to get the i-15 to launch higher without a doubt but the dispersion was again left, right and short. With the H3w I was launch it noticeably lower but pretty much where I like it to be which is just about Mid height IMO. Again misses were fading mostly. But all in all this summer I've noticed my miss with the my metal woods are more fades.

On the course: My first two shots with the 3wood (Par 5 to start the day) I'll say I was a little nervous with the other THPers there. I missed pretty bad the first 2 shots with big tops of the ball and a mass roll of about 30yards to both of them. Finally the 3rd stroke with this on the par 5 I was in the rough on a mound about 230yds out. The lie was nice, and after watching vides from previous posters I put the ball back in my stance, but I still went after it with a full swing. I got the ball to fly nicely, but with a big fade I landed just short and right of the green. So out of the rough and after calming down, this club cut it and launched the ball VERY nicely. You're always treated to a nice sound when you strike the ball well.

The next time I broke out the H3w I decided to tee it up... The results are now a new found appreciation of 3wood of the tee. I absolutely pasted one that was exactly the ball flight I love. Mid launch (even off the tee, considerably low tee height of course!) and the ball climbed and barely faded about 5yds. Oh it felt so good! Great sound, feedback, everything about it inspires confidence in me to hit this off the tee even more. Rescue/Hybrid/Launcher whatever you want to name it or call it I'll take it now. Off the deck or off the tee I've found this club a new go to.

Another great feel I got was an uphill par 5, 2nd shot. I put the ball back in the stance as I wanted to keep it down even more and get as much roll as I could. This shot was a lot of fun. I don't think it ever peaked higher than 15 feet if that in height. It might have carried about 160 yards maybe? But it rolled FOREVER uphill. It was awesome! I believe this club to quite versatile. I prefer a lower ball flight, but if I hit it off the tee I can make it higher, otherwise consistently mid-low ball flight is something I can count on.

To be honest, the backweighting is a non thought now. For the first few sessions, yes it was noticeable but not a fore-thought. Now, it just helps to smooth my tempo without thought and I feel it puts my hands, arms and body in a consistent motion that is starting to spread throughout my other clubs too.

Good stuff Spiff! Is hitting a 3w from the rough something you normally do on the course? Just wondering because, if it's something new for you, you certainly picked the right club for it.

I don't usually hit three wood from the rough... Off the fairway definitely but I never had the confidence to hit it from the rough... Odd I know huh? I'm all about it now though!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

I don't usually hit three wood from the rough... Off the fairway definitely but I never had the confidence to hit it from the rough... Odd I know huh? I'm all about it now though!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
It is a good shot to have in the bag when a long shot is needed from the rough. I know the heavy 3w wasn't necessarily designed to be a rescue club, but it sure does make a good one. Very versatile!

Okay lets see if this works
Couldn't get it to embed, but the link to the video works at least

URL]

It works, just watched it. Thanks for posting it!

Worked for me, thanks for posting

Hey all im just wondering if there is anything you would like me to test out or try with the Heavy Wood tomorrow, if your wondering how it works from a certain lie, type of shot, etc let me know and I will try it out on course and let you know how it goes in my review after my round. Also if there is anything you would like to see on video let me know, I will do my best to get a shot of it, remember I do use my phone so I dont just wanna throw it down on some wet grass etc lol.

It is a good shot to have in the bag when a long shot is needed from the rough. I know the heavy 3w wasn't necessarily designed to be a rescue club, but it sure does make a good one. Very versatile!

My thoughts exactly 3B! I have really liked this club as a rescue club. Hitting it out of the rough has been great.

One thing I have really enjoyed of the Heavy 3 Wood, is taking a nice easy swing from the fairway, and being able to control your shot with it. A 3/4 swing from the fairway for me will roll out to about 200 yards, straight ball flight, with a mid trajectory that results in a good rollout for the added distance.

Having a club like this, that you know you can control your shot with and keep the ball in play is wonderful to have in your bag. I have been pleasantly surprised with the results I have seen from the 3W, and I have been seriously considering looking more into the 5W and Hybrids.

Hey all im just wondering if there is anything you would like me to test out or try with the Heavy Wood tomorrow, if your wondering how it works from a certain lie, type of shot, etc let me know and I will try it out on course and let you know how it goes in my review after my round. Also if there is anything you would like to see on video let me know, I will do my best to get a shot of it, remember I do use my phone so I dont just wanna throw it down on some wet grass etc lol.

I am getting out on the course for a round in Atlanta tomorrow, and am looking forward to trying it out from the rough here in Georgia compared to what I have been hitting out of in Florida.

My next test for the 3W is going to be shot shaping. Really interested to see how hitting a draw/fade will workout for me, as I play a lot of courses that have short par 4 dog legs, where this type of shot could benefit me.

I am getting out on the course for a round in Atlanta tomorrow, and am looking forward to trying it out from the rough here in Georgia compared to what I have been hitting out of in Florida.

My next test for the 3W is going to be shot shaping. Really interested to see how hitting a draw/fade will workout for me, as I play a lot of courses that have short par 4 dog legs, where this type of shot could benefit me.

For me the Heavy Wood is harder to shape shots with, my normal shot with driver, fairway wood, and hybrid is a draw but with the Heavy Wood its either straight or fade, I have a harder time turning it over and getting it to draw. I also havent hooked any shots with it yet which is my miss with the long clubs. I will take straight all day long though

For me the Heavy Wood is harder to shape shots with, my normal shot with driver, fairway wood, and hybrid is a draw but with the Heavy Wood its either straight or fade, I have a harder time turning it over and getting it to draw. I also havent hooked any shots with it yet which is my miss with the long clubs. I will take straight all day long though

Agreed, I will take straight every day and twice on Sunday's, no doubt.

I am not one that tends to shape a lot of shots, as I try to be consistently straight as often as I can, but I am really interested in seeing how this will work out, especially considering the tech that is within this club. Its going to be one two things; good, or an absolute disaster.

Agreed, I will take straight every day and twice on Sunday's, no doubt.

I am not one that tends to shape a lot of shots, as I try to be consistently straight as often as I can, but I am really interested in seeing how this will work out, especially considering the tech that is within this club. Its going to be one two things; good, or an absolute disaster.

It is nice knowing you can hit that little fade or little draw when you need to though. Hopefully its a big success

Hey all im just wondering if there is anything you would like me to test out or try with the Heavy Wood today, if your wondering how it works from a certain lie, type of shot, etc let me know and I will try it out on course and let you know how it goes in my review after my round. Also if there is anything you would like to see on video let me know, I will do my best to get a shot of it, remember I do use my phone so I dont just wanna throw it down on some wet grass etc lol.

This^^^^^ Tee time is in a couple hours.

If you use it out of the second cut of rough- or have in the past - how does it perform ? Not deep rough, but rough. Maybe with a slight power fade? (That's my usual ball flight)

If you use it out of the second cut of rough- or have in the past - how does it perform ? Not deep rough, but rough. Maybe with a slight power fade? (That's my usual ball flight)

BBB posted a nice video hitting out of some "not deep" rough, and his post showed that he was having some good success with it. The Boccieri has been great out of the thicker grass for me, as it's smaller face/head, combined with being square at impact has allowed me to get solid contact with the ball. Obviously there is a loss of distance, but have have some nice, straight shots. Out of the thicker grass, I noticed I was popping the ball up a bit, but that was to be expected when hitting down and getting under the ball.

BBB's video is great, check it out.

It works wonderful, my stock shot with this club is a little fade. Ive said it before and im sure I will quite a bit more but this fairway wood plays more like a larger hybrid out of the rough, it really gets through the grass with ease. A nice little 3/4 swing produces great results from first cut all the way to thick plush rough

BBB posted a nice video hitting out of some "not deep" rough, and his post showed that he was having some good success with it. The Boccieri has been great out of the thicker grass for me, as it's smaller face/head, combined with being square at impact has allowed me to get solid contact with the ball. Obviously there is a loss of distance, but have have some nice, straight shots. Out of the thicker grass, I noticed I was popping the ball up a bit, but that was to be expected when hitting down and getting under the ball.

BBB's video is great, check it out.

Will do. Thanks guys. Really interested about this club.

It works wonderful, my stock shot with this club is a little fade. Ive said it before and im sure I will quite a bit more but this fairway wood plays more like a larger hybrid out of the rough, it really gets through the grass with ease. A nice little 3/4 swing produces great results from first cut all the way to thick plush rough

Thanks! Enjoy the round today!

9/4/2011 Heavy 5 Wood On Course Review/Forgiveness Test

9/4/2011 Heavy 5 Wood On Course Review/Forgiveness Test

Hey everybody I was finally able to get back out on the course for 9 holes this morning, it is the first time I have played in a week since I had my tooth pulled. I didn't play bad nor great, just OK. I want to give you a little information about me and my tendencies of what I do when I dont play for a week. When I dont play for 4 or more days I fall back into a funky swing that makes me pull everything left or hook everything with the long clubs and I was fully expecting this today and that is exactly what happened.

I want to talk a little about the forgiveness of the Heavy Wood since I haven't touched on that to much. I made sure I arrived at the course this morning with plenty of time to hit the range before my round, I grabbed a large bucket and off I went. I did my normal warm up with the irons and moved to the Heavy Wood, I hit my first 10 shots great, either a baby fade or straight with a high trajectory that were landing about 10 yards past the 200 yard marker.

Toe Shots- The miss out on the toe is very common for me so I knew this would be a easy test:banghead:. I moved the ball out away from me about 3 ball lengths to assist in the toe shots, I hit around 15 shots way out on the toe and wasn't surprised with what I saw. I was only seeing about 10 yards in distance loss and my shots stayed pretty much on line, some leaked just a hair right but nothing that wasn't playable. Toe Shot Approved!

Heel Shots- This I was worried about, I never hit the ball toward the heel, never with my clubs at least. For the life of me I could not hit shots off the heel with the Heavy Wood at first, I ended up having to scoot up so close to the ball my hands really had no room on the take away and I was having to get my body out of the way at impact. I did end up hitting around 7 or 8 shots way off the heel and saw some pretty horrific results, all these shots ended up about 30 yards short of my normal distance with the Heavy Wood
(200-210 carry) and were a mid/low trajectory line drive about 25 yards left of my target. I was really surprised by this since its very forgiving on the toe and low and high on the face but heel shots suffered greatly! This is for me and it may be different for you but I need some more testing on the range to see if I get the same results.

Now that I have that out of the way I will get to my on course shots with the Heavy 5 Wood. I have 3 videos to share of the 3 shots I hit with it on course this morning. I mentioned early in this review my tendencies to pull it left/hook it when I haven't played for awhile and thats what I did on all 3 shots this morning. Now to the good/bad stuff hehe.

Shot 1- This is a short par 4 at 295 yards that doglegs left at about 215-220 yards, I always hit either 3 wood or the Boccieri Heavy 5 Wood depending on wind and the wind was in my favor today so I pulled the Heavy Wood. I had a OG moment of craziness and decided I wanted to play up the left hand side and put it right past the dogleg. I hit this ball really good, straight and high but LEFT, it wasn't a hook just a straight pull left. My OG moment left me in a mess with tons of trees in front, left, right and finally I punched back wards! I hit a wedge over the trees to 10 foot, felt great I tell ya, I missed the putt and made bogey.
Here is that tee shot.

Shot 2 and 3- 200 Yard Par 3 with trees left and bunker and trees right. The Heavy 5 Wood is a perfect club for this hole with how high and soft the ball lands. I hit another really good shot with the Heavy Wood, it was high, straight, and LEFT again, when I say good shot I'm talking about contact and ball flight, I really hit this one on the button just that dreaded pull left. I wanted to get another video so I teed up another ball on this hole and hit the exact same shot, same ball flight, same contact, same result. I was kinda disappointed in myself for pulling all 3 of my shots with it today. I was hitting it so straight on the range too. Here are the 2 videos of those tee shots, BTW I made triple on the first ball, yuck!
Behind View 1st Tee Shot

Side View 2nd Tee Shot

Overall I am still very pleased with the Heavy Wood, its no miracle club and you have to put a decent swing on it to get good results but from my testing so far it can be more of a ugly swing and still get a decent result, its not punishing me as bad as a normal fairway wood, I do credit that from the design of the club with the back weighting and just how balanced it is. Until next time, Enjoy!:D

I have hit some balls at the range out of grass that was up to 4" deep with good results. In the thicker stuff I move the ball even further back in my stance and then just aim left because the ball is going to be heading right. Also in the thicker rough i will hood the club some to offset the twisting that will occur. I hope that makes sense.

Nice update and vids 10yd! I find that I hit this 3w right on the nut more often than not, my wear marks are mostly in the center (like in the pics you took in an earlier post), moving to maybe a quarter inch up and towards the toe. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of it like you did. It's nice to know that the toe hits are forgiving, but it's been a non issue for me with this club so far. knock on wood.

Btw, I know this is OT, but I have to ask; why the long sleeve t-shirt with the shorts? This summer has been the hottest/stickiest that I have seen since moving up here, I start sweating just thinking about long sleeves. lol

Nice update and vids 10yd! I find that I hit this 3w right on the nut more often than not, my wear marks are mostly in the center (like in the pics you took in an earlier post), moving to maybe a quarter inch up and towards the toe. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of it like you did. It's nice to know that the toe hits are forgiving, but it's been a non issue for me with this club so far. knock on wood.

Btw, I know this is OT, but I have to ask; why the long sleeve t-shirt with the shorts? This summer has been the hottest/stickiest that I have seen since moving up here, I start sweating just thinking about long sleeves. lol

Thanks BBB, im also finding I hit the sweet spot allot more with this club, it must be a balance thing. I was really surprised at the heel shots though, just nasty bad for me.
haha its underarmour man, heat gear, it keeps me cooler than short sleeves. I have been wearing it for years and dont plan on going to short sleeves any time soon! It was only 65* this morning here as well, I do wear this all summer though.

Serious question for anybody reading this thread thats not commenting, if this was a Taylormade, Ping, Nike, etc would you be more interested in this club and asking questions? This is in no way a hey I want somebody to tell me good review or something like that, im just curious if the name on the club is having a affect on your interest.

Back