Exception to the rule?

blaise2089

Reaction score
Handicap
This is kind of a spin-off of the recent golf myth thread and show, and something that I have seen in my short time here on THP debated on a few times.

About 3 months ago, I purchased a set of the TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB irons after considerable research (mostly thanks to the reviewers here on THP in the review thread, and a demo day at a local course here). I have always been intrigued in the idea that I could one day game a set of muscle backs. I went to the demo day specifically for the MCs, but when I hit the MB they were oh so nice. Also, I actually hit them good! with no significant distance change!

Long story short, and to get back on topic here, I find that I have better ball striking with these clubs than I have with previous sets. (A little background: my most recent set was the 2009 TaylorMade Tour Preferred TP irons, also gamed r7 TP, and the Rac OS)

Just some food for thought, but I think it may be due to a couple of factors.
1) I think I concentrate a little more on the contact of the club face instead of mainly "grip and rip" mentality being that I know I have literally no room for error.
2) I find mentally I just love the look of a muscle back iron. Cavity backs just seem so bulky and big and the compact head seems to give me more confidence. Also the thought of, "Hey I'm actually hitting muscle back irons" adds to the mental side of the club
3) I also find that I hardly try to 'put a little more behind' the irons, knowing I need good contact and have better club selection.

I think these are the main reasons I shoot better with these muscle backs than I did with the cavity backs. Or maybe I just want it to seem that way? but I have not shot a round over 85 with them, when I used to sporadically.
Any thoughts? or anything?

it sounds like you want to love them. And "if you will it dude, it is no dream." enjoy em.

Or maybe I just want it to seem that way? but I have not shot a round over 85 with them, when I used to sporadically.
Any thoughts? or anything?

At your index level, I would not think you should shoot many rounds over 85 right? I mean 80-85 (with occasional 79) should be about the norm depending on where you are playing.
Im glad you like your clubs and I think that is the most important thing.
No I dont think there are exceptions to the rule of science as it pertains to mass equaling forgiveness. And why those at the highest level have made this same switch. But in the end, the only thing that matters is whether or not you like your clubs.

Good to hear you love the MBs. When I got my MCs i went out to buy the MB as well but I liked the forgiveness and playability of the MC

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

There's mystery and intrigue in the game of golf. It's not all about numbers on a launch monitor. In the real world, on a real golf course, that comfort level you have with those clubs could very well be the difference between making the shot you need to when you need to, and, well, not making the shot.

Sometimes I think there's too much science involved in today's game. Science sucks the joy out of it. If you love those clubs enjoy them. No reason to justify playing them, to yourself, or to others.

Kevin

There's mystery and intrigue in the game of golf. It's not all about numbers on a launch monitor. In the real world, on a real golf course, that comfort level you have with those clubs could very well be the difference between making the shot you need to when you need to, and, well, not making the shot.

Sometimes I think there's too much science involved in today's game. Science sucks the joy out of it. If you love those clubs enjoy them. No reason to justify playing them, to yourself, or to others.

Kevin

Well said Esox, your a wise man lol

I find my iron striking much better with these as well compared to my more forgiving clubs. I can't explain it but forum member Hawk would vouch to the validity of this information.

I wish I knew why.

it sounds like you want to love them. And "if you will it dude, it is no dream." enjoy em.

Dude you are my new hero. Anyone that quotes TBL is alright in my book.

At your index level, I would not think you should shoot many rounds over 85 right? I mean 80-85 (with occasional 79) should be about the norm depending on where you are playing.
No I dont think there are exceptions to the rule of science as it pertains to mass equaling forgiveness. And why those at the highest level have made this same switch. But in the end, the only thing that matters is whether or not you like your clubs.

I agree. The main thing is whether or not you can play MB irons and if you like them. No need to justify your desire to play them. While I like the idea that MB are still being made, they are not for everyone. I know if I had to play them I could, but I played them when I was younger and don't have any desire to go back to them. I hope they continue to work for you. That is all that really matters.

Yea I'm not really trying to justify playing them, I was mainly just trying to show how sometimes what you think you need for your game is actually something different. It was more of a don't just get stuck on one thing but try everything out even if you think you may not like it.
IDK I always see these threads with people saying "why not hit more forgiving irons?" when I find that may not be the best option all the time.

No that is why I said sporadically. I play a few tough courses and will play anywhere from 6600-7200 yard courses. I have the length with my driver to play them without much difficulty but still enjoy my rounds, so If I'm off my game sometimes I'll shoot around an 86 or 87 but hardly ever. Usually 82-84 is my norm with a few 80s and actually a 77 and 78.

I'm in a period also Blaise where I'd like to get away from the cavity back irons but my play isn't good enough to go to some blades! I've done that before and it screwed my game completely up! Still debating what to do!

HC of 7.5 usually equates to pretty consistent ball striking. Not at all surprised you are having success with them. Guy like me that runs hot and cold really makes use of a more forgiving iron. Play what you like I say. From what I have read HCs are about what they were before the forgiveness push. Better scores for me start around the green.

HC of 7.5 usually equates to pretty consistent ball striking. Not at all surprised you are having success with them. Guy like me that runs hot and cold really makes use of a more forgiving iron. Play what you like I say. From what I have read HCs are about what they were before the forgiveness push. Better scores for me start around the green.

Better scores for me are ON the green. I am a decent putter but wish I was more consistent to hole a few more putts.

I'm in a period also Blaise where I'd like to get away from the cavity back irons but my play isn't good enough to go to some blades! I've done that before and it screwed my game completely up! Still debating what to do!

Yea they are definitely not for most. I have really good ball striking with the irons except for those occasional days I struggle with the 4 or 5 iron. Check out some player's cavity irons. I moved to those from a larger cavity and found it to help my game as well.

In my opinion, you will like the clubs you want to like and score well with the clubs you want to score well with.

If you're comfortable with them and they allow you to score where you want to be that's all that really matters IMO. Personally I'd probably still choose the MC over the MB if I was good enough because in my mind forgiveness is always a positive.

All great points. I also believe that there is a great mental aspect as to liking a club and performing better with it. It just makes sense.
As far as forgiveness, I think these are a tad more in that department compared to other MB irons. Although I have not hit many this is the general consensus. I have even let a couple of my buddies hit them and they loved them, also commenting about how 'forgiving' they are and they are playing cavity back irons.

Back