Best advice you have ever recieved in regards to your golf game

Best advice was to avoid trying to swing harder. To this day, whenever I have a bad spell, it usually comes back to trying to swing too hard. I overswing and try to kill it. Only problem is it often takes me a while (and more than a bit of mumbling cursing), to remember that key lesson.

Played a round in mainland China last week where the green fee includes a caddie. On several holes with blind tee shots, the caddie said something along the lines of, "There are bunkers on the left and water on the right. Just hit it straight down the middle and you won't have to worry about those." Sure, thank you very much.

Played a new course, and printed out the course pro's tips for each hole. 1st hole, a par 3: avoid the bunker and water and par is a possibility. Thanks.

Manage the course. Don't go for the hero shot. Pelz says something like if you can't hit the shot 90% of the time, don't try it. I go with a 70% of the time. Sometimes you do just have to go for it. That is what makes the game fun.

Golf Digest is totally monitoring THP. Anybody follow them on Twitter? They were asking this same question yesterday a few hours after this thread started. We're all kinds of influential!

"It doesn't matter how far you hit the ball if you can't play it." - My game was hugely improved simply by trying to not kill the ball and keeping it in play.

head down, keep your down, head still, bend over, straighten up, knees straight, knees bend, knees in, turn your hips, let your arms turn your hips, belt buckle face the target, front foot open, stay behind the ball, slow down your swing, don't grip it too tight, arm straight, arms relaxed, arms into your body, back elbow close to your body through the swing, snap your thumb down, get the logo on the glove hand to face the ground,on and on and on. I have heard all of it this year, but probably the best tip I got was aim.

Back in '97, from Golf Magazine, Dave Pelz's short game tips. My chipping and pitch shots improved thru practice and the scores came down as a result.

You have to hit the ball from where it lies....so true in golf and life....My dad gave me that nugget

Some people might not agree with this, but (i think it was golf digest) said learn how to go after the ball hard from the beginning. It was talking about players that grow up swinging hard are better off because they can always take something off of their swing for distance control. Players that grow up never swinging 100% have a much harder time trying to learn how and still make good contact. I think that tip helped me a ton when I was learning the game.

Some people might not agree with this, but (i think it was golf digest) said learn how to go after the ball hard from the beginning. It was talking about players that grow up swinging hard are better off because they can always take something off of their swing for distance control. Players that grow up never swinging 100% have a much harder time trying to learn how and still make good contact. I think that tip helped me a ton when I was learning the game.
I may be wrong, but I think Hogan suggested this as well.

It might have been him. I can't remember who the article was talking about.

Played a new course, and printed out the course pro's tips for each hole. 1st hole, a par 3: avoid the bunker and water and par is a possibility. Thanks.

I'm sure you didn't think about that before you teed off. Be thankful. :D

Be just a little mad when you swing...this was good advice because I tend to be too cautious in my swing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practice throwing a baseball like an pitcher with an underhand delivery. Really helped me understand the importance of clearing the hips at impact.

Break the scorecard up into 6 sections of 3 holes. For each set of 3 holes circle a hole where you are "allowed" to make bogey. Play the course to this new personal scorecard, with each set of 3 holes as a new goal.

Last edited:
It's not how good you hit the good shots, it's how good you hit the bad shots.

Golf is a game of misses.

When faced with pressure.... Think Conservative Line with an aggressive swing

KG

Just Tapping Away

"Maybe you should take up bowling"

"You should swing the way you're built to swing."

Have fun while you play. Happy golf equals good golf.

Your swing sucks, maybe you should take lessons or sell your equipment.

Taking lessons.

"close your hips and shoulders."
I always leave my hips open, and sometimes my shoulders, and that ALWAYS leads to a nasty hook.

I know Harvey Penick wrote this in his book, he advocated teaching people to swing hard so that they were comfortable when they needed to hit a full shot.

The best advice I received is to only think about the last shot until you get halfway to your ball, then focus on the next shot, that way a bad shot doesn't affect the next one.

Back