What where you doing on 9/11 10 years ago?

I woke up that morning and had a dentist appointment. On ym way to the dentist's office, the radio personality said that there had been an accidental crash into the first tower. I was in the dentist chair getting a filling or something, with headphones on when I got the full story. I got home that day and start calling work, as I worked at a rental car place on the Kansas City airport, to find out if I had to work that day. I spent the next 3 days doing nothing as we had no cars to rent out, and none were coming back.

Ironically, my father was also in the dentist chair when JFK was shot.

Was just getting up and getting ready for my grandmothers funeral when we heard about the first plane, turned on the TV and saw the 2nd plane hit. A day I will never forget for 2 very important reasons.

I actually had a strange set of events happen:
1. Is my hot water heater went out in my house, So I called into work to get it fixed while my kids and wife were at work! I got a late start because I brought them(my girls) to school that morning. Came in my house to get changed into my working clothes. For some reason I had left the T.V on and came into where there was a report of a small plane that hit the first Tower! While watching the events unfold I saw the 2nd plane hit. At that moment I knew it was no Accident.
2nd. Is that my dad travels ALOT for work, and on that particular day my Dad was flying out of New York. Needless to say I went into a panic. We didn't find out he was fine until 9 hours after all the events unfolded. They had diverted his plane to Canada and he follows rules like crazy and didn't use his phone until he was instructed to do so. Needless to say it's a day that I'll never forget!

I WAS the news!! At that time, I was a on-air radio personality and was live on air when the news broke...I had a TV in the control room and had it on Good Morning America when they reported the first plane as a "accidental crash". I went on air and started talking about it, relaying the news to our listeners and was live on air when the second plane hit.

I was on air for 10 straight hours that day doing my best to paint a picture for our listeners, it's a day I will never forget.

Now THAT is cool.

I was teaching a computer science class when an assistant principal came in and whispered to me that there had been a plane crash into a building in NY. I was told not to turn on the TV and not to make any announcement. Doing as I was told, my class and I class missed seeing that horrible bite of history being made. When the announcement was made that classes were to remain in our current rooms under "lockdown" then we knew it was more than a plane crash. Finally, we were sent home and schools were closed for several days.

I was in a high school when JFK was shot as well...as a student. Back then, I'm not sure there was a TV in the entire school. So we heard by word of mouth, someone called the school and it spread through the school in that manner.

Had a phone interview with Morgan Stanley the day before they asked if I'd be willing to go to the Manhattan branch for training. My cousin worked in WTC2 so I thought it would be fun. I was waiting on a call from them to set things up. Needless to say it never came. I saw the news of the 1st plane and was still unsure how that could happen and then as you saw the 2nd plane you knew instantly that it was an attack. I felt sick, angry, scareed for my family. It took 2 days before we could get through on the phones to our family. Within days of the event I immediately joined the Air Force National Guard division to do something to help.

just got done my night shift dispatching at the police department at 7 AM was asleep and my coworker that relieved me who is also a firefighter called and woke me up. sat up all day and watched everything till i went back in to work that night. That day really changed my life and how i view my job. i had just taken the last Fire department test in NYC and was on the hiring waiting list. after seeing 343 of my brothers make the ultimate sacrifice and knowing that if i was on the job then in the FDNY i prob would have met the same fate as a lot of them, makes you take a step back and really enjoy your life and what you have. Especially my friends and family. I did get my hire letter from FDNY 2 weeks into my current Departments fire academy. Every year around this time i always remember i'm not invincible and anything can happen at a fire or any call for that matter and my life could be taken. But it also makes me proud to do what i do for a living. I know for a fact ill NEVER FORGET.

was at work when the DJ on local station started breaking in with snippets of information---our office didn't have internet/tv so really didn't know the extent of it all until I arrived home later that afternoon---it was a sad day!!

i would of been 15(i think) at the time and i was at my godparents house.we were sitting watching the news just as or just after the 1st plane hit.at that point they were talking about the incident many years previous when a plane hit the empire state building and about how it could be a accident.

then whilst watching we seen the 2nd plane hit,it was such a surreal moment to be witnessing this live on television.at this point we knew and obviously the whole world knew that this was no accident and that it was an act of terrorism.a day that will never be forgot!!!!

i then made my way up to the golf course in callander and continued watching on the tele,i was watching at the golf course when the buildings collapsed.

I was in my barracks in Camp Pendleton... Sirens started going off... I remember jumping out of my bunk, seeing the aftermath on the news, and waiting to find out if we were heading out or not. I will never forget that day! Much love to the ones we have lost!

I had just opened the Pumkin Ridge Pro shop and we were preparing for a corporate outing. My cart guy ran in and told me a plane had run into the world trade center. I thought it odd that a small plane would be allowed to fly over NY. We turned on the TV to see the seond plane crash into the 2nd tower. We were quickly joined by all that had arrived for the tournament in the very small proshop.

Once the outing was taken to their holes I started trying to call back to the east coast to check on my family. My father was in NY and headed to the airport when the 2nd plane flew into the building. He and the Town car he was in found a way to turn around and my dad took that car all the way back to Atlanta. My cousin who works near the towers and gets off the subway at the towers was late that day and was on another subway that let her off many stops before.

It wasn't until much later that I got a hold of the rest of my family. It is the single most vivid memory I have in my life. I remember everything and everyone that was around me. I still get chills when I think about it.

I was at a tank range with my unit in Colorado. I was playing a video game on my little tv in our tool truck we had. Some one ran up to the truck and asked if we had a tv. I said yes and after fasioning a antana out of coat hangers and wire we saw the plane hit the second tower. We were all in disblief. 12 hours later we were all out acrost co guarding things that I am not at liberty to say of what they are but the army became very real to me that day. I still have that tv and the antana we made in my garage and every time i walk past it i think of that day.

never...especially at the time...still get chills every now and then when I see the footage of the towers going down o....but I still watch the stories/specials because I think it's important to always remember that day

Hanks, that is crazy. Bet you never thought that the decision to not wait for the next train would impact your life like that.

I was driving to work (on Oak Grove, between Grand and Cherry) and heard the news on The Bob & Tom Show. They got a wire report that a plane hit the WTC and reported it. No one (at their studio) knew at the time that it was a commercial jet, and everyone assumed it wasn't true or was just a small plane that hit the tower and bounced off. As more reports came in, started to realize what was going on.

Playing golf and not believing the cart guy who told us that somebody blew up the Pentagon. After the round we came in to the clubhouse to find everybody crowded around the television in disbelief. It was very surreal at the time.

Dan

I was actually in court that morning and the Judge was probably 45 minutes late. We knew very little except some murmurs about something going on in New York. When the Judge finally arrived he said he was sorry he was late but he couldn't pull himself away from the television. He then lead the courtroom in a moment of silence and postponed all proceedings to a later date.

I was living over seas and heard the news but wasn't able to see any pictures or tv, so I couldn't even wrap my head around it. It was a year before I ever saw the video of the towers and I just watched this recording in amazement.

I remember I was getting ready for college...yikes!! That was 10 years ago. First time that my school had the flags at half staff for the start of the school year...

Watching tv. I was set to deploy to navy bootcamp the 18th. Needless to say bootcamp had a whole different feel to it

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

I was in Philly on business, the whole thing felt so surreal. It was a couple days later that it finally hit me that this was the new world we live in.

It still renders me speechless when I sit down and think about it.

After boot camp I remember visiting ground zero. The line was blocks long but being active military I got to go to the front. Hit me hard. A very emotional day.343 will always remember my brothers who gave their life

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

I was sitting in homeroom in 9th grade. The morning show was on, at the end of the show, the announcer said "a small plane has crashed into the WTC, change to channel 8 for more information". We flipped it over and watched the 2nd plane hit. Some teachers let us watch the news in class, some didn't. The rest of that day was crazy.

Worked at a local firehouse. Lost a few friends that day. By night I was in there handing out water and stuff to the firemen. Loss of my father was the worst day of my life. This was a close second.

I was working in a prison. The administrative staff gathered in the inmate chapel and watched it on TV. I remember my oldest son calling from college telling me that people were jumping out of the buildings. He was extremely upset. I've never felt more helpless and afraid.

I was off that day from work and the sound of the helicopters from the nearest armory woke me and my wife up. That had to be the most surreal day of my life. We must have received a dozen calls checking in on us. Living in the Tri State area at the time we all knew someone who was affected by this tragedy. My friend was in the Holland Tunnel when the first plane hit. Another friend was in the lobby of the North Tower about to get in the elevator when the plane hit. Another friend lost an uncle in the South Tower. And my boss at that time was neighbors with Jeremy Glick (he's the one that called his family on United 93 saying that they were going to take the plane down). It seemed like every day for the next month there was a funeral procession or a church service honoring those that died that day.

I still refuse to watch any of those movies that were made of that day since Hollywood, I'm sure, has taken liberties with the story lines. It was a day I'll never forget. I also hope that the world never has to experience something like that ever again.

Back