TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Nice videos man!

I like my 2.0's a lot, although I do need to get some new grips put on them.

Do you have the stock grips on them now?

Do you have the stock grips on them now?

Ya, my hands tend to sweat a lot in this heat down here and I lose my grip a few times. I mean there not terrible grips, I just like the feel of a cord grip more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, my hands tend to sweat a lot in this heat down here and I lose my grip a few times. I mean there not terrible grips, I just like the feel of a cord grip more.

This is the exact problem that I have had with my grips. I think I am going to switch them out for full corded pretty soon.

I have noticed that a little, but I hate the feel of the corded grips. I am actually considering going to 2 gloves on the really hot and humid days.

Here's a question for the better players testing or currently gaming the Burner 2.0s. How interested are you in the R11s or the TPs? What do the Burner 2s lack that you hope to see in the newer TM irons? I am a mid handicapper so the only thing I would improve on so far is to swap the 4 iron for a hybrid.

I'm not very interested in them, and here is why. I hit the TPs well, and love how they hit, but it isn't a big enough difference to me from what I currently have. The same goes for the R11s. I haven't hit them yet, but I personally don't think they are going to blow me away in a direct comparison to the 2.0s. I do like the idea of making my 4 iron into a hybrid, but I hit this 4 iron pretty well, so it doesn't matter to me.

On another note, I went to the range yesterday and got everything worked out since the last time. My shots were back to good form, and the clubs were performing as good as ever. I was alone again, so I couldn't get any video, but I'm hoping to go tonight with a friend who also has the Burner 2.0s, but with a different set up. Should be a fun side-by-side comparison. As for this range session though, I didn't really notice anything that was alarmingly different. Well struck shots still went a mile, and those that were slightly mis-hit were still great shots. To have a slightly smaller head than any of the other irons I've played, these still have tons of forgiveness. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it surprises me regardless.

I'm pondering putting a 3I 2.0 in the bag. Anyone have a burner 3I and wants to share their opinion on the club?

PM Sent

I have the 3-iron. I am not the ball striker that I would need to be in order to successfully use the club, so I yanked it long ago.

Grips and Gloves
I've been wearing two gloves since getting back into the game. I suffered a boubt of mild dermatitis before coming back to the game and my skin felt thin, so I've just carried on wearing two, not caring what others may think of me! (Cus wearing one glove looks normal? LOL)
In the dry I love the stock grips.
In the wet, I found the only way I can hang on to the sticks is to remove both gloves and seriously towel dry both hands and grips.

Luckily I am working from home this week due to the holiday, so I was able to get away during the lunch hour today and hit the range before I head out of town for the weekend..

Testing Objective - Put the Burner 2.0 4 iron (21* loft) head to head with the Cleveland Mashie M3 (20.5* loft)
Weather - 70*, 65% humidity, cloudy, wind into from the right 7-10 mph

My Cleveland CG gold long irons (3-4) are my most inconsistent clubs that I own, so earlier this year I added the Mashie M3 to my bag to replace them. Since I've had such good results with the Burner 2s thus far, I wanted to see how the 4 iron fared against the M3. I am so bad with the CGs, I didnt even bother bringing them to the range to compare. My normal miss the the M3 is a hook, but that has gotten better lately since I replaced the stock grip. My normal carry with the M3 is 225 or so. All shots were off the grass practice area, no tees underneath for any shots.

[video=youtube;HK2Wucw-lCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK2Wucw-lCI[/video]

And the results. In the pics, the crown of the club is at the bottom of the tap with the sole on the top side.

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

The M3 tape has few marks because everytime I would mark the contact point, it would get ripped with the next swing. The M3 shots were that consistent. The 4 iron had very mixed results, so according to this test, I will keep the M3 in the bag.

Nice buddy, but I am not surprised by the results to be honest with you.

dubbledxu,

that was a great way to show a comparison of impact dispersion. Do you suppose the difference is a result of comfort level with each club? I know when I stand over my longer irons I tend to tense up a little with the thought of trying to tear the cover off the ball.

Do you suppose the difference is a result of comfort level with each club? I know when I stand over my longer irons I tend to tense up a little with the thought of trying to tear the cover off the ball.

This could be the case, but i do hit the 5 iron much better than the 4. My thinking is, if i tense up over a club on the range i will certainly do so on the course.

I will keep at it, as i like the idea of flighting the ball a bit lower with the 4 iron as we get into the windier months here in the midwest.

*tt

Hey fella's since the discussion was on grips recently and my stiff shaft set has arrived with NDMC grips I'm gonna need to switch them. Since TM used a lightweight grip on these has anyone noticed any difference in ball flight after changing grips? I know it's a random quesion but I'm trying to cover my bases here.

Hey fella's since the discussion was on grips recently and my stiff shaft set has arrived with NDMC grips I'm gonna need to switch them. Since TM used a lightweight grip on these has anyone noticed any difference in ball flight after changing grips? I know it's a random quesion but I'm trying to cover my bases here.

Well I've had the NDMC grips on from the start, so I can't be of any help here.

My friend with the Burner 2.0s cancelled on me due to a test they had coming up. I've been to the range three straight times now by myself, so I'm really lacking in the picture and video department right now. I grabbed a 2.0 6-iron they had in the office and gave it a couple of swings, to try and compare to mine. It had a stock regular flex in it, and I couldn't keep from slicing it because of how flimsy it was. It did feel just as good as mine though when I hit it good a couple of times. I noticed the ball flight was very similar, and so was distance. I tweaked my back yesterday though, and it came back on the range today, so I need to take a couple days off. I'll be in to comment and answer questions, but no swings for a day or two. :banghead:

Great day with my 2.0s. Very windy and some very lucky shots... very low, but, incredibly, not short. I feel like I've had a happier round than I deserved, having not always got the ball up in the air.

My confidence with the longer irons had gone out of the window of late, but I must have been in the zone today, taking things very easy and htiing the ball far better as a resut.

I had a few holes playing nothing longer than a 6i and was feeling good. The first time I played my 5i it fired off at tremendous pace, but really no higher than 15-20ft max, yet somehow reached 200 yards.

My next dangerously low shot was 9i into a par3, again no higher than about 15ft, pretty much thinned, yet the feeling on the clubface wasn't unpleasant, I caught a tiny stip of light rough between a green-front bunker and the green, somehow the ball stopped within 8 yards, pin high, 6ft from the hole! Totally inexplicable from the angle of descent. Easy par.

I matched my better playing partner's 3i with my 4i, at about 210yards. His shot was nice and in the air, mine didn't look good, but actually made it a few yards further.

I put a nice looking 6i to 200, and another 4i that looked like in nose-dived somehow made it the best part of 250!

The best shot I played all day was a 6i over a dog-legged valley on 17th. I actually played out of some fluffy grass parallel to the tee, and using google satellite at various resolutions, it would seem I must have hit verging on 250yards with my 6i! Possibly slightly wind assisted, I'll admitt. But insane. My friend was buzzing over his 300yard drive that almost made the green, but I thought my 6i was more impressive at only 50yards short of his.

But now for the best bit. And here's where I stop bragging and let my friend and the 2.0s take all the credit. I have insisted, since owning the 2.0s that a 6i could reach the green of a 225ish slight downhill par 4. On several occasions when playing 9-holes on my own, I have played the hole well. I once played two perfect fades (as required due to trees) but sadly caught the lip of two different green-front bunkers. If the length of the 2nd had had the line of the first, I'd have achieved it. I've also missed the green way left and right but pretty much played its length. ANYWAY... My friend was never having any of it, he always insisted it required a 3i, as that's what he plays. So today, he proceeded to perfectly fade his 3i onto the green and eagled the hole for the first time. BUT, we agreed yesterday that when we played it, he'd take a few shots with my 6i. Well he only needed one! Because he proceeded to play EXCATLY the same shot with the 2.0 6i !!! His shots were 3yards apart! His clubs are Mizuno semi-cavity/blade-ish types from 10 years back, which I think he's fit to, and he really can play when on form. I was so proud of my irons!!! And his own success has put him in his place, so far as what's possible with the 2.0s!

Tremendous!

So I have a question for my fellow testers, and anyone else playing these irons.

After a good 2 months of having these (testers), what are some direct comparisons you can make to your previous set of irons. And do you think they will stay in the bag after testing? I know a lot of this has been said throughout the thread, but a good summary of it can't hurt.

For me, I think this set is very similar to the Burner Plus irons I had, except that I definitely prefer the feel of the 2.0s. Also, the upgraded shaft I have in these is helping me to make much more consistent shots, and the ball flight is absolutely perfect for me with this set. The longer irons are easier to hit, and the shorter irons are much more accurate. For me, it'd be hard to take these out of the bag at this point.

I had a busy weekend with the 2.0's. Did some direct testing against the 2010 R9's of Friday evening at the range and then played a tournamant on Sunday. The results of the testing against the R9's wasn't shocking... the Burner 2.0's outperformed them in both distance and accuracy. I had another good day (not great) with the 2.0's on the course as well. I had some very impressive iron shots, some ok ones, and a couple of bad shots (both fat). My fellow players are always shocked at what irons I am hitting (usually at least 2 clubs less) compared to them. It is almost comical to see the look on their faces when I hit 7 iron from 180 and plant it 15 feet from the pin. If they know the club before I swing, the look is of "you ain't getting that to the hole", then after I do it with a fairly effortless swing, the look is of "holy cr@p"! HAHA. I have some video of the R9/2.0 comparison session that I will post soon, and will also have a recap of my tourney round as well.

So I have a question for my fellow testers, and anyone else playing these irons.

After a good 2 months of having these (testers), what are some direct comparisons you can make to your previous set of irons. And do you think they will stay in the bag after testing? I know a lot of this has been said throughout the thread, but a good summary of it can't hurt.

For me, I think this set is very similar to the Burner Plus irons I had, except that I definitely prefer the feel of the 2.0s. Also, the upgraded shaft I have in these is helping me to make much more consistent shots, and the ball flight is absolutely perfect for me with this set. The longer irons are easier to hit, and the shorter irons are much more accurate. For me, it'd be hard to take these out of the bag at this point.

I was gaming the G-15's prior to the start of testing on the 2.0's, and I will not be switching back. First of all, I really prefer the look at address, and feel like they are much easier to align. Also. they are a club and a half longer throughout the set, and, I am so much more confident with the Burner 2.0's after 2 months than I was after almost a year with the G-15's. You would literally have to pry these from my cold dead hands to get them away from me. They just perform so well it is incredible.

I had a busy weekend with the 2.0's. Did some direct testing against the 2010 R9's of Friday evening at the range and then played a tournamant on Sunday. The results of the testing against the R9's wasn't shocking... the Burner 2.0's outperformed them in both distance and accuracy. I had another good day (not great) with the 2.0's on the course as well. I had some very impressive iron shots, some ok ones, and a couple of bad shots (both fat). My fellow players are always shocked at what irons I am hitting (usually at least 2 clubs less) compared to them. It is almost comical to see the look on their faces when I hit 7 iron from 180 and plant it 15 feet from the pin. If they know the club before I swing, the look is of "you ain't getting that to the hole", then after I do it with a fairly effortless swing, the look is of "holy cr@p"! HAHA. I have some video of the R9/2.0 comparison session that I will post soon, and will also have a recap of my tourney round as well.

You are right TH, that is not shocking at all, and while I am not as long as you, I still get looks of shock when someone says what did you play there, and I tell them. It really is a great feeling.

Just a quick video I shot before my round Saturday. Unfortunately, I rolled my ankle and took a nice tumble down a hill leaving the 6th tee box so this is all I have in the way of video, but, I was striking the ball really well until that point. After that, I really couldn't follow through, so everything was pushed, and it was a real struggle to get around the course.

Out of curiousity, why do you "need" to switch them? You have a high quality aftermarket grip on your new clubs that I would call one of the best on the market and my personal favorite. I understand that everyone is different and you may end up not liking them, but I would give them a few rounds before you change.

I know that grips can very slightly change the clubs due to swingweight, but I doubt it is enough to worry about unless you have a much heavier oversize or jumbo.

Last edited:
Had a long range session and really wanted to get down and dirty to compare my previous set (R9's) with the Burner 2.0's. I was trying to figure a good way to test them, and the best way I could really come up with was to hit 5 balls in a row with each and chart them. The results really aren't surprising, the 2.0's were quite a bit longer, I was more accurate with them and I just love the look and feel of the 2.0's. The R9's really don't compare. The main thing I noticed was how much better at address the Burner's looked. I felt similar when I switched from the 2007 RAC LT to the R9's last year, but this is different. The Burner 2.0's fit my eye so much better that I really didn't like the look of the R9 anymore. The 2 tone is so sexy on the 2.0 and the head is smaller than the R9 wihich I like alot! See pics of both 5 irons side by side below:

gilfvidspics022.jpg

gilfvidspics021.jpg

I was really thinking to myself how I got to this point? You see I loved the R9's just a couple of months ago, and now looking at them, I really am not a fan of the look. I understand that I am used to the look of the new clubs, but the 2.0's look so good, that now, the R9 looks like an out of shape ugly older sister.

Here are the charts for my R9/Burner 2.0 comparison range session. All yardages are very close, but approx. because there were too many balls out in the range to laser. I hit PW, 7 iron, and 5 iron. The shots that have (BEST) next to them are shots that went right where aimed and would more than likely have ended up as a GIR. (REAL GOOD) represents just short of best! HAHA Where you see a shank written down, I hit a bad ball and the results would be insignificant to the test so I hit another.
gilfvidspics023.jpg

gilfvidspics025.jpg

gilfvidspics026.jpg

As you can see the 2.0 is much longer, generally around 5-10%. I am used to the Burners as I have exclusively played them for 2 months now, so they have a built in advantage, but there is little doubt which club performs the best for me! I like the look, sound, shaft, and feel measurably better on the Burner 2.0's. The 120g KBS Tour is without a doubt a better shaft for me as the distance is better, but also the ball flight, as it is high but not too high. I feel like I scoop the R9's more and get some balooning that I just don't see with the 2.0's. I was alone during this session so I did my best to set up the camera to get some video so you could see and maybe hear a difference. I am not sure how the sound comes out on the vids, but to me the 2.0's sound more crisp on good contact. The first club is always the R9 on these vids (3 balls) and then I switch to the 2.0's (3 balls). These are not the charted shots from above.

5 iron

7 iron
[video=youtube;QWzj5xLB-f0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWzj5xLB-f0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]
PW

This test further proved to me that I am now playing a setup that benefits my game. The shaft helps my ball flight and the head gives me more distance while the looks give me tons of confidence.

Last edited:
TH, great stuff in this post, and I love the videos. I completely agree with you on the two tone face, and the way they look at set up, especially for GI irons. I actually posted a video regarding that (3 posts up) the other day.

Out of curiousity, why do you "need" to switch them? You have a high quality aftermarket grip on your new clubs that I would call one of the best on the market and my personal favorite. I understand that everyone is different and you may end up not liking them, but I would give them a few rounds before you change.

I know that grips can very slightly change the clubs due to swingweight, but I doubt it is enough to worry about unless you have a much heavier oversize or jumbo.

I hate the feel of those grips and the don't work for me in this humidity. I'm thinking Winn Lites, lighter by 17 grams or back to the X17.

Edit: Great post, I thought the range notes were a perfect touch to share with us.

Last edited:
I hate the feel of those grips and the don't work for me in this humidity. I'm thinking Winn Lites, lighter by 17 grams or back to the X17.

A lot of people have had issues with the grips in humid climates, myself included, but I hate corded grips, so I have to find another solution. I have been keeping a cold/wet towel with me, and that really helps to keep my hands cool, and, I have been toying with the idea of 2 gloves, but, if you know of a grip that you like, and will work for you, I say switch them out ASAP

Edit: Great post Griff, I thought the range notes were a perfect touch to share with us.

Makes sense. Being from the Seattle area, humidity isn't an issue we often deal with. Thanks.

TH, great stuff in this post, and I love the videos. I completely agree with you on the two tone face, and the way they look at set up, especially for GI irons. I actually posted a video regarding that (3 posts up) the other day.

Thanks man, I saw that. Great vid! They are a great looking club, there is little debate about that. I get comments on how good the 2.0's look quite often.

Back