NebHusker

Kappa Alpha Order
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a huge tournament tomorrow, and, typically, I'm nervous. Does anyone have some tips to help ease this tension? Thanks.

Become Fred Couples....meaning emulate Fred Couples. Use that slow walk to clear your mind, play each shot and move on. W.I.N- Whats Important Now...Ya know all that Bob Rotella stuff. Good luck and keep it in the short grass!

Try going to youtube and searching for progressive muscle relaxation. It takes about 10 minutes and should work from head to toe to remove all of your tension. It's good to try this on a regular basis to lower stress/tension and especially before a stressful event such as a tournament. You can then take some of the elements to the course to learn how to relax your muscles and stay loose for better shots.

I just relax and watch tv, listen to music, etc. Do whatever makes you comfortable.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Music, Music, Music. Find something that gives you that little hop in you step. Confidence makes the nerves go away.

Stick to your routine, and play your own game. Nerves are actually a good thing; they will help you stay in each shot (concentrated).

Realize that what your doing is going to be fun. Don't stress about the outcome and just don't worry about anything. Have fun with it no matter the outcome.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna try to do my best tomorrow! Gonna go take my mind off of it for a while.

I have a huge tournament tomorrow, and, typically, I'm nervous. Does anyone have some tips to help ease this tension? Thanks.

If your not nervous then you're not ready. You have to hit the ball just like any other day. Tomorrows round just counts against a few others. You'll be fine, breathe and take one shot at a time.

Kongfrontation

I personally love the pressure of big moments. Tonight, I think sex, sex, and more sex (if possible) is a great stress/tension reliever. Tomorrow, good luck, and just keep to your routine and play 1 shot at a time. Routine keeps you from worrying.

I personally love the pressure of big moments. Tonight, I think sex, sex, and more sex (if possible) is a great stress/tension reliever. Tomorrow, good luck, and just keep to your routine and play 1 shot at a time. Routine keeps you from worrying.

What's with this answer? He's looking for some real advice here.

I say drink. Nothing like a highball or two to take the edge off.

Kevin

What's with this answer? He's looking for some real advice here.

I say drink. Nothing like a highball or two to take the edge off.

Kevin

Esox I couldn't agree more. Drinking always takes the edge off

think of the tourny as just another game of golf with friends, go out there with the plan on enjoying yourself. play each shot one at a time best of luck

Loosen up with 20 balls on the range before you play - that's an absolute must. Other than that you just have to try to relax and play your own game.

1.) Keep you routine like its a regular round. I can't tell you how many times I've arrived at a tourney and see people who are teeing off 2 hours later. It's like a quiz -VS- a mid-term/final exam. You're either ready or your not! What you do for two hours prior to teeing off if not going to change anything (and in most cases, makes things worse).
2.) Breathing. I take a deep breath before every shot I take (drive, iron, chip, putt), and it really frees up your mind.

Whenever I play in something "big", I just tell myself it is just another round of golf. I just do my thing and try not to pay much attention to what the others are doing. Just stick to what ever routine you normally go through on each shot.

Sleep. Seriously, take a nap.

Go watch a movie, read a book. As for that day, just giv'er! Being nervous about a big event is a good thing.

i'm bad for this aswell,i struggle to get to sleep at night because i'm thinking about it so much.

my advice would be take it all in your stride,being nervous is good.it keeps you on your toes and keeps you concentrating like mad,the last thing you want is to have a lapse in concentration and start making silly mistakes.i always find when i'm a little bit nervous i do well.

good luck!!!

I agree with hitting a couple dozen balls to loosen up and get warm.
Then on the first tee, I take 2 deep breaths and hit the shot.
I actually try to hit the first tee shot just a little harder than I normally swing.
I do this so I don't baby the shot or "aim" it too much.
When I do that, my mechanics go out the window.

Just imagine them all in their underwear....supposed to work for public speaking so why not first tee jitters as well??

I had the privilege to hit the first tee shot in The Morgan Cup in August. It was the most nervous I had ever been for a tee shot in my life. While I don't have any suggestions I can share with you my 1 swing thought that went through my head...
Spoiler
just don't whiff

Well, being 17, drinking was out of the question lol. But, I played the tournament today, it was our high school district championship. I ended up shooting 85 and came in 4th place, allowing me to play the regional championship. Thanks for the advice, I'm excited!

Well, being 17, drinking was out of the question lol. But, I played the tournament today, it was our high school district championship. I ended up shooting 85 and came in 4th place, allowing me to play the regional championship. Thanks for the advice, I'm excited!

Great job bud! Wish I played high school golf hope you learn from it and finish better in regionals.

Great job bud! Wish I played high school golf hope you learn from it and finish better in regionals.
I hit every fairway in regulation, but only have 8 GIR... Left a lot on the course.

Back