Average green size?

DonW

Reaction score
Handicap
teens
Does anyone know what is the typical green size? Years ago I heard it was 5000 sq ft but now I can't find anything that lists such a number on the internet. Looking at TCI they list 7000 sq ft as their average, this sounds huge when I think of what I typically play on, which is tiny. Pretty sure most courses I play would measure in the 100s not 1000s, I've played courses where the longest possible put would be 25 ft and to get that the flag would have to be on the edge.

Most every green at my 27 hole track is at least 30 yards deep and 25 - 30 yards wide. That would translate to an average of around 8000 sq. ft.

I doubt anywhere you play is in the 100s of sqft unless you play at a Putt Putt course.

I don't have exact amount but our greens down here are small, really small. And to be honest the greens move way too much. I would love to see pros putt on these courses because seriously I have seen my course put holes on hills.

But back on track, I would say they are an average of between 20 yards deep and 25 yards wide.

But back on track, I would say they are an average of between 20 yards deep and 25 yards wide.

That's 4500 sqft. Smaller, but not crazy small. I've played a few courses in Florida that have a hole or two with abnormally small greens, but it's not that common around here.

6000Sq Ft here at my course.

I doubt anywhere you play is in the 100s of sqft unless you play at a Putt Putt course.

Disagree.

I play at a local muni that has a few greens no larger than my living room rug. No kidding...

My home course's greens average 10,000 sq feet, they are huge.

Disagree.

I play at a local muni that has a few greens no larger than my living room rug. No kidding...

If all greens were 10x10, that would come out to 1800 sq feet. (granted that would be in the shape of a square). It would have to be SUPER small to come in under 1000 sq feet.

If all greens were 10x10, that would come out to 1800 sq feet. (granted that would be in the shape of a square). It would have to be SUPER small to come in under 1000 sq feet.

I said they have a FEW greens that small. I'd say 2-3. I will try to remember to take a picture with my phone next time. I will lay my driver in the middle of the green for scale. I bet these greens are no more than 2 1/2 drivers deep by 2 wide.

My home course gives a daily pin sheet it and on it it list every green's length and width. On average they run around 80'x 50' or about 4000 sq ft. The course, 12 Oaks, opened in 2009, so these are fairly new greens.

My greens are absoluetly miniscule, but I am not sure on the exact specs. I will measure a few next time I am there.

I said they have a FEW greens that small. I'd say 2-3. I will try to remember to take a picture with my phone next time. I will lay my driver in the middle of the green for scale. I bet these greens are no more than 2 1/2 drivers deep by 2 wide.

That I would have to see! I've never seen a green that was 10' x 8'.

My course has 1 big green (about 50 ft. by 100 ft.), but most are smaller. About 60 ft is the longest possible putt on most of the greens.

Rereading my original post I should have clearly said some courses I play are in the 100s not most.

Any way after some quick and rough calculations from the demo mode on my GPS I calculated the green size for Webster SD municipal (small farm town that has a miniscule budget to maintain there course with the smallest greens I can think of for a full length course although only nine holes long) and came up with an average of 2166 sq feet. I assumed the greens were a perfect circle, they're not but close enough for me, with a range of diameters from 13 to 22 yards. Most of them are domed and anything near the edge will run off so they play even smaller. Here in Rock Island the local Muni is Saukie (built in the 1930s, and now played as an executive) and green size averages 4700 sq feet. I was surprised to find just how small a 5000 sq feet green is.

I have always heard greens run small in the north due to weather and related costs of maintaining large putting surfaces, curious if it is really true? Watching TV coverage some of the greens look absolutely monstrous, not sure I would want 100 foot putts on a regular basis but it sure would be nice hitting long irons into something bigger than a postage stamp.

It seems like a double edged sword for sure.

We have a couple with larger greens, so my GIR's go up, but so do my putts.

Rereading my original post I should have clearly said some courses I play are in the 100s not most.

Any way after some quick and rough calculations from the demo mode on my GPS I calculated the green size for Webster SD municipal (small farm town that has a miniscule budget to maintain there course with the smallest greens I can think of for a full length course although only nine holes long) and came up with an average of 2166 sq feet. I assumed the greens were a perfect circle, they're not but close enough for me, with a range of diameters from 13 to 22 yards. Most of them are domed and anything near the edge will run off so they play even smaller. Here in Rock Island the local Muni is Saukie (built in the 1930s, and now played as an executive) and green size averages 4700 sq feet. I was surprised to find just how small a 5000 sq feet green is.

I have always heard greens run small in the north due to weather and related costs of maintaining large putting surfaces, curious if it is really true? Watching TV coverage some of the greens look absolutely monstrous, not sure I would want 100 foot putts on a regular basis but it sure would be nice hitting long irons into something bigger than a postage stamp.

The course I play has very large greens. They are probably the largest I've ever played. They are very easy to hit, but they are also rolling very very fast and are very undulated. Getting a GIR is pretty easy, but so is getting a 3 or 4 putt on several holes.

Average size....about 5.75-6"...........oh wait, crap.......that wasn't what you were looking for. I'd have to check with the local course I guess. They are pretty large......greens. Large greens.

Man, this post is not going well at all.

Go Hawkeyes!

the greens where i play are rather small.

the greenkeeper at my home course has made them even smaller but i like it,when i play better courses like the carrick on loch lomond,the dukes course at st andrews and the courses at gleneagles you then start to get much larger greens.

I regularly play at a course with pretty small greens compared to most other courses. Most of them are almost perfect circles. I used the measuring tool on Google Maps, and a sq. ft. calculator I found online to get the measurements of these greens:

1. 3505 sq. ft. 10. 1957 sq. ft.
2. 6244 sq. ft. 11. 8170 sq. ft.
3. 2101 sq. ft. 12. 4307 sq. ft.
4. 5457 sq. ft. 13. 4322 sq. ft.
5. 3456 sq. ft. 14. 2483 sq. ft.
6. 2020 sq. ft. 15. 1702 sq. ft.
7. 3275 sq. ft. 16. 2011 sq. ft.
8. 2559 sq. ft. 17. 3132 sq. ft.
9. 1635 sq. ft. 18. 2450 sq. ft.

I was doing some course design work for The Golf Club 2K21 and editing a previous course I did. I wanted to know what the average green size on the PGA Tour was and somehow I found this thread. So this is a "Holy Necropost!"

The average putting green size on the PGA tour is 6,600 sq. ft. which translates in the game to about 28 yds x 28 yds. The smallest greens on the tour are at Pebble Beach: 3500 sq ft. up to 9000 sq ft. or 31 yds x 31 yds. Amazing the difference a few yds make in size. Just thought you might want to keep this in mind if you want to get into course design.

I'm thinking fondly of a county-owned course here in town where one par 4 the green is barely the size of a living room. Its spectacular. Such a short little par 4 about 340 yards slightly uphill. Even bomb and gouge, it defends to this day with that tiny green. Other holes where it isn't much larger.
I love it. :love:

I don't have exact numbers. I know I have played the the TPC course after a pga tournament was played there, and the greens looked "HUGE" when compared to my home course.

I'm guessing my home course greens (on average) are 60' X 60' or 3600 sq/ft +/-. I've paced a few of them off.

About 8,000 sq ft at my home course. Lots of slope on 13 of the greens so it’s tough to not have at least one 3 putt during a round.

Back