Swing Advice welcomed from my peers

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I've gone back and forth about posting my swing. But over time I have seen the advice given to others and I must say there is a lot of Knowledge on this forum. Please, if you like, offer up any suggestions you might have that could help me. Thanks in advance..

That swing is gorgeous. Wow, I am not qualified to make comments really, but it looks awesome

Yeah that's a pretty solid swing Tadashi, are you having any particular issues or problems or just looking for basic feedback/advice on it?

From what I see, it's a nice looking, smooth swing.

What kind of help are you looking for? Are you seeing hooks/slices?

Yeah that's a pretty solid swing Tadashi, are you having any particular issues or problems or just looking for basic feedback/advice on it?

My release has never been that good or consistent. These two particular swings produced a slight push that missed my target by 10yds. I also have a chicken wing with the left arm. I am trying to work on full extending through impact.

Kongfrontation

From what I see, it's a nice looking, smooth swing.

What kind of help are you looking for? Are you seeing hooks/slices?

My miss is a high right. With the irons I can get away with it. The driver gets me into trouble.

Kongfrontation

Very nice swing, I agree with moving the ball up a little. I also think it would help to take just a slightly more open stance this will make it easier to clear your hips after contact, it looks like there is a very slight sticking point right after contact where you are kind of fighting against your body to finish. It may be that just a slight turn out of your front foot might help some one or the other or maybe both. When I play the ball as far back in my stance as you are here I have to take a bit stronger grip with both hands in order to keep the ball from going right.

Very nice swing, I agree with moving the ball up a little. I also think it would help to take just a slightly more open stance this will make it easier to clear your hips after contact, it looks like there is a very slight sticking point right after contact where you are kind of fighting against your body to finish. It may be that just a slight turn out of your front foot might help some one or the other or maybe both. When I play the ball as far back in my stance as you are here I have to take a bit stronger grip with both hands in order to keep the ball from going right.

Great tip, I'll try this during my range session tomorrow. I appreciate the feed back. I feel the same about getting stuck on my right side.

Kongfrontation

My miss is a high right. With the irons I can get away with it. The driver gets me into trouble.

Kongfrontation

My miss lately has been mostly high right with my driver. My instructor has me concentrating on keeping my right arm closer to my body through the downswing and making sure I'm keeping an in/out path. I tend to come over the top when my right arm is out to far and the result is a push/fade right. Hard to tell if that is an issue for you from this angle. Looks really good though from this angle!

That swing looks great! If its working for you, dont change a thing!

My release has never been that good or consistent. These two particular swings produced a slight push that missed my target by 10yds. I also have a chicken wing with the left arm. I am trying to work on full extending through impact.
Kongfrontation

I hope you don't mind me chiming in T but I saw that high right miss a couple times while we played, The best advice I ever recieved about the short left arm after impact was to keep my head down even after the ball had been struck, the momentum of the arms and club will extend the arms naturally and then you can begin to move your head in the club direction naturally. If you look at the 3rd pic of Faldo in the second row, you'll see what I'm talking about, especially how he's still looking at the ground and the ball is long gone.. Your right elbow looks really good on the down swing, it's nice and tucked.

NickFaldoSwingSequence.jpg

I hope you don't mind me chiming in T but I saw that high right miss a couple times while we played, The best advice I ever recieved about the short left arm after impact was to keep my head down even after the ball had been struck, the momentum of the arms and club will extend the arms naturally and then you can begin to move your head in the club direction naturally. If you look at the 3rd pic of Faldo in the second row, you'll see what I'm talking about, especially how he's still looking at the ground and the ball is long gone.. Your right elbow looks really good on the down swing, it's nice and tucked.

NickFaldoSwingSequence.jpg

Always take your critique bro, thanks for the feedback. I think I also need to work on my flexibility

Kongfrontation

Ok so this guy is on MY team at the outing in May! I love your tempo and compact swing. I can not see much I would tinker with when you contact a ball that well.

You have a nice swing man, and you're not far from being where you want to be.

I haven't read any of the other tips because I didn't want to have it take my first thought of watching the video away. You do have a nice swing but I think youre doing the same thing I was having a problem with. It looks like on your back swing your over rotating your hips which makes it hard for them to get back to the correct position at impact. If you can get a shot from behind I can tell you better if that's what you can work on. To help get a ball a little bigger than a basketball and put it between your thighs and swing. You should feel as if your legs are squeezing the ball but I will keep your hips from over rotating. Hope this helps.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I haven't read any of the other tips because I didn't want to have it take my first thought of watching the video away. You do have a nice swing but I think youre doing the same thing I was having a problem with. It looks like on your back swing your over rotating your hips which makes it hard for them to get back to the correct position at impact. If you can get a shot from behind I can tell you better if that's what you can work on. To help get a ball a little bigger than a basketball and put it between your thighs and swing. You should feel as if your legs are squeezing the ball but I will keep your hips from over rotating. Hope this helps.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Great tip, I'll try it and get you a video from back. I never even thought of this....thx

Kongfrontation

It was interesting reading the comments after watching the video a few times and reading the comments about head movement. The one thing I came away with after watching several times was that at the top of your backswing your head moves back. Now I am a self taught golfer, and may have it wrong, but I believe that this might have an effect on how far from the inside to out your swing path is. It may be that if your head didn't move back and the club moved round a central pivot point your pushes could become draws. I may be wrong and I'll look for replies to this post with interest 'cos I'm here to learn.

Great swing man!!

This maybe a small thing, but it just stood out to me. Your first move back is with your chin. Before you start the backswing you move your chin to the right. I know I struggle with movement with my head. I would see if you can keep your head more still.

This exactly. its the only thing i would do differently.

but....for the high rights, i would recommend moving the ball forward slightly like posted above.

Embedded for Freddie...

[video=youtube;pk1-sjWbD8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk1-sjWbD8k&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;-w8RWG1QEbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w8RWG1QEbQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

You were right, you and I have such a similar swing. Although I do prefer your finish and I need to keep working on it.

Very nice swing Freddie. It looks so effortless and smooth.

Kongfrontation

I think we all have this issue at some point in our life...flexibility....and in the back swing looks to be causing some disconnecting, and as you know that is leading to your cast flip. So when you have that cast flip you loose leverage in your swing. I would tell you to work to keep/get the right elbow in front of your chest so that you can retain the lag. The best way for you to do this is probably going to be by shortening your swing just a little, to about 3/4 of what I see in the video, so you can keep that connection. I also see (not 100% sure from this clip) what looks like your wrist hinge at the top doesn't get to 90* with the club and forearm, but it's hard to tell from this clip. I'd like to see you work on that, as once you get the connection working, you'll get a lot of power from the lag and 90* you keep longer. I think your set up is solid, no issues there, but placing the ball back in your stance just a bit due to your cast will help for now.
The biggest concern is connection and leverage retention on the downswing. Once you get that, you'll be able to properly release the club and extend/fire down the line with more power.

If you have a down the line swing to look at as well, that would be ideal.

Kongfrontation

I think we all have this issue at some point in our life...flexibility....and in the back swing looks to be causing some disconnecting, and as you know that is leading to your cast flip. So when you have that cast flip you loose leverage in your swing. I would tell you to work to keep/get the right elbow in front of your chest so that you can retain the lag. The best way for you to do this is probably going to be by shortening your swing just a little, to about 3/4 of what I see in the video, so you can keep that connection. I also see (not 100% sure from this clip) what looks like your wrist hinge at the top doesn't get to 90* with the club and forearm, but it's hard to tell from this clip. I'd like to see you work on that, as once you get the connection working, you'll get a lot of power from the lag and 90* you keep longer. I think your set up is solid, no issues there, but placing the ball back in your stance just a bit due to your cast will help for now.
The biggest concern is connection and leverage retention on the downswing. Once you get that, you'll be able to properly release the club and extend/fire down the line with more power.

If you have a down the line swing to look at as well, that would be ideal.

Jay look at the other swing I posted. The swing you critiqued was from 3 years ago.

I'm not saying it again...

Back