Srixon Z-Star Driver

I know the feeling all too well. And all too recently. This is a driver Ive been wanting to hit again. My swing was so poor the first time I got no idea if it worked for me or not.

You should try it again dude.

When I tried it in April I did not like it at all. Now, I'm hitting it really well. It's a slightly different sound than I'm used to, but it's not obnoxious like some others. It's really nice looking at address too.

You should try it again dude.

When I tried it in April I did not like it at all. Now, I'm hitting it really well. It's a slightly different sound than I'm used to, but it's not obnoxious like some others. It's really nice looking at address too.

May have to wait for the outing since I dont think anyone around me sells it. Whats that? You want to send me yours? Sure dude! lol naa Id actually love to give it another shot. Golf Galaxy really needs to start selling Srixon.

First bad round with it and it will be on the way haha

LOL thats funny. Im the same way. I have a hard time getting over really bad rounds because its the drivers fault.

May have to wait for the outing since I dont think anyone around me sells it. Whats that? You want to send me yours? Sure dude! lol naa Id actually love to give it another shot. Golf Galaxy really needs to start selling Srixon.

I've got the same problem with Golf Town up here. You'd think by now that these places would be selling them.

Or you could send it too me.... Just saying....

Actually, I've kind of used the SuperTri as a security blanket for a bout a year. That's a long time to bag a driver in my world. It just got to the point that I had to look elsewhere and the stock Dromos was a big part of why I decided to try this out.

good stuff Hawk....good luck with the new driver man!

I mentioned in another thread that I picked up a used Z-Star and I had a chance to use it for both a 9 and 18 hole round over the last week. I've also had it out on the range. I was hoping that it will bring my spin down a bit, though that was really a swing fault more than anything.

The good news:

I hit 10/16 fairways I used it on during the two rounds (62.5) and had another three drives within 10 feet or so. That's big for me and I hope it continues!

I GPS'd a couple drives in the low 240's. Again, huge for me! If I keep from being too steep, which I've been doing, I'm hitting a nice, mid-trajectory ball that runs a good distance. Should be good for this time of year as things firm up.

I'm very straight with it. Not much in terms of sidespin either way.

The bad news:

I feel bad for the SuperTri because that was a driver that helped make me not a bad driver of the ball. Still, I think it was time for us to part due to some serious spin and launch problems.

The feel and sound of the driver are definitely different, but it is pretty responsive and I know when I've missed.

Actually, I've kind of used the SuperTri as a security blanket for a bout a year. That's a long time to bag a driver in my world. It just got to the point that I had to look elsewhere and the stock Dromos was a big part of why I decided to try this out.

Is there a big difference in the feel of the Z-Star in your swing Hawk? I mean does it feel heavier or lighter or similar? From what I can tell, it would be a little lighter than my current setup with the Attas shaft.

It feels really similar to me.

It feels really similar to me.

What's you swing speed at Hawkster? On the Srixon website, they say those in the 91-105mph range should play the stiff shaft. You're in that range aren't you? Is the reg flex shaft good? I know you said the flex codes were similar to your Silver.

Good luck with the Z-star Hawk. For all you know this could be a Morgan Cup driver for you. I have nothing but good things to say about the Z-star and have been playing one for most of the year.

I actually went from the R9 with a kusala 72s to the Zstar and I thought the weight of the R9 was noticable between the two, the Zstar of course being the lighter of the two.

Is there a big difference in the feel of the Z-Star in your swing Hawk? I mean does it feel heavier or lighter or similar? From what I can tell, it would be a little lighter than my current setup with the Attas shaft.

What's you swing speed at Hawkster? On the Srixon website, they say those in the 91-105mph range should play the stiff shaft. You're in that range aren't you? Is the reg flex shaft good? I know you said the flex codes were similar to your Silver.

I read that on their site as well and am not sure I agree with that statement. My SS is right around 97mph and the R flex is just fine.

I actually went from the R9 with a kusala 72s to the Zstar and I thought the weight of the R9 was noticable between the two, the Zstar of course being the lighter of the two.

I think one reason it may seem similar to me is that my ST shaft is also a 61R.

I read that on their site as well and am not sure I agree with that statement. My SS is right around 97mph and the R flex is just fine.

I think one reason it may seem similar to me is that my ST shaft is also a 61R.

I agree with hawk here. My SS is a little over 110 and I use the stock stiff with no issue. I also have a fairly quick transition. I was surprised that it fit me as well as it did.

That's about where mine is as well. I've got reg flex in my Attas and it works very well (except for the high ball). Hmmm.... things to ponder. I just don't think I could drop $400 on a new driver right now. Especially with just a couple weeks left in the season....

That's about where mine is as well. I've got reg flex in my Attas and it works very well (except for the high ball). Hmmm.... things to ponder. I just don't think I could drop $400 on a new driver right now. Especially with just a couple weeks left in the season....

Check the bay... Not near that expensive.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it, 9 iron. Take your lessons and figure out what your driver swing is going to be like. Then get something that compliments it. Especially since you don't have much time left.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it, 9 iron. Take your lessons and figure out what your driver swing is going to be like. Then get something that compliments it. Especially since you don't have much time left.

Absolutely dude. All good things to those who wait.

Then again, it's always fun to OEM stuff haha.

Then again, it's always fun to OEM stuff haha.

Dude I wish my local GG and golfsmith carried Srixon stuff, where'd you grab yours man?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

How would you guys say the Z Star compares to the Nike MS Black as far as forgiveness and feel?

This one has been in the bag for a while now and (like most drivers I've hit) we have had our ups and downs. I'm most certainly longer in total yards with the Z-Star in the bag, but a good portion of that is roll due to a pretty low trajectory. That's one thing that I was actually hoping for since I was hitting the SuperTri way too high. I do think ball flight may be a little lower than I really like in non-windy conditions, but it's working well for me at the moment.

My miss with the Z-Star is a low pull or pull hook or a slight push. The push doesn't really bother me, but I know I really screwed up if I get the pull/pull hook. I've found a good amount of success in hovering rather than grounding this driver as I think it keeps me less tense.

In all, I'm hitting this farther and with comparable consistency to my previous driver, so I think it was a good switch.

Interesting feedback Hawk and glad to hear it working for you. I had 3 typical shots with this club:

Long straight bullets
High push/slice
Low hard pull hook (also very short)

Struggled getting really consistent and that led to me selling it.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I may hit a high slice once or twice every two rounds.

If I'm swinging well, this one definitely puts out the straight bullets like you said. I think I could get the trajectory up a bit if I changed the weights, but it's really working for me in these conditions.

Back