Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

I'll say, at the very least this thread has made me think about my low irons and what I need the blades for. I hit them pretty well, but as has been stated many times here and on other threads, when you miss, those misses cost you big. So why take the chance? Thanks again all testers for the feedback!

Thanks for the comments and question ghsace. Personally, I think that is exactly why this set is made up the way it is. The 8-PW blades are fairly easy to hit and misses are not that bad with them, in my experience. Definitely still leaves me in scoring position (most of the time). Would another type of club be more forgiving? Probably. But these blades are very consistent, accurate, workable, predictable, and are down right effective. That is why many of us say the blades are our favorite part of this set. I think the blades have put me in great scoring position and I have hit some of the best shots of my life with them.

That being said, I think Nike nailed it with having the 5-7 split cavities, instead of extending the blades up through the set a bother club or two. As chunky mentioned above, when you get to that 5, 6, or 7 iron distance, it is nice to have that extra forgiveness that the split cavity provides. The split cavities have also been great clubs.

I hope this answers your question. If not, ask away. We love getting questions, honestly.

Thanks for the comments and question ghsace. Personally, I think that is exactly why this set is made up the way it is. The 8-PW blades are fairly easy to hit and misses are not that bad with them, in my experience. Definitely still leaves me in scoring position (most of the time). Would another type of club be more forgiving? Probably. But these blades are very consistent, accurate, workable, predictable, and are down right effective. That is why many of us say the blades are our favorite part of this set. I think the blades have put me in great scoring position and I have hit some of the best shots of my life with them.

That being said, I think Nike nailed it with having the 5-7 split cavities, instead of extending the blades up through the set a bother club or two. As chunky mentioned above, when you get to that 5, 6, or 7 iron distance, it is nice to have that extra forgiveness that the split cavity provides. The split cavities have also been great clubs.

I hope this answers your question. If not, ask away. We love getting questions, honestly.

Thanks for the quick answer! That is exactly what my thoughts were. I am super interested in the split cavity irons and the combo make up. I just think (like you said) it simply makes sense and helps in so many ways. We are all going to miss and make mistakes - so why not allow those mistakes to hurt us less (especially on the distance clubs) ? Thanks again and great write ups!

Temperature: >50*
shafts: Dynamic Gold x100
weather: 2 club wind, wet/mushy ground, sprinkling rain

So it's officially fall in Ohio, which means annoying wind, mushy fairways, five layers of clothing, rain, and sub seven o'clock sunsets.

One of the things I've noticed so much about these clubs is a lack of a hand numbing dead feeling on mis-hits, and unfortunately that doesn't transfer well into the cold season. Of the maybe 40-50 balls I hit on the range before the round, there were quite a few that stung the hands. I don't remember it happening on course, but it is the first experience that I've had where it stung the hands on a swing so I thought it was worth noting.

Into the wind I had to club up twice to reach my needed distance. The more I consider my 'type' of golfer the more I think I am a bit of a fair weather guy. I don't HATE the cold but I don't like it at all. Wind also drives me absolutely crazy, and when you throw in a bit of sprinkling rain, I'm not a happy guy and my game definitely changes because of it.

I had three shots that were thinned, and all three gave me different results. The first thinned shot was a 5 iron into the wind on the very first hole. Fortunately I got it a bit under the wind and it ended up being a great shot, landing on the front fringe and rolling to about 6 feet. I clubbed up twice to make the shot, so I guess it was a one club wind when hit that low, as my thinned shots USUALLY go about 90% of my needed distance. The second thinned shot was on the third hole with the wind slightly in the face but mostly right to left. I clubbed up entirely too much and flew the hole.

Fat shots were limited to really only two times, one of which was with my xFT and one with my VR Pro PW. The lie was terrible, wet and on the downslope, and I had to hit it about 3/4 for the right shot, and I just got too much behind it. Flight was still solid it just didn't have the oomph that was needed, falling at about 85% of the distance I needed.

Since I haven't had many great experiences with the pocket cavity, I thought I'd focus my review today on them.

Pocket Cavity:

I hit my 3/4 iron a number of times. The results were mixed, which I am somewhat happy about, and mostly blaming myself for! The first shot was from 200 yards (wind helping a bit) but I hung it out to the right expecting my draw. Long story short on most of my pocket cavity iron shots for the day, it was going dead straight. Frankly, most of my irons were going straight I just couldn't convince myself to attack the pin rather than playing it to the right.

My second PC iron shot was simply a layup on a par 5 but it was excellent. Great flight, solid feel...

Strangely enough, while these irons seemed to lack the quality feel I was getting out of the blades and splits during the summer, they might be the better feeling iron in the colder weather. Each time I hit the ball yesterday I got a very good idea of how well struck it was and whether the shot would be a good one without even watching the flight.

The worst shot I took with the pocket cavity was dead into the wind on a long par 3. I took a healthy swing at the ball and the feedback suggested that I hit it well on the outside of the iron, probably close to missing the grooves. The results were about 60% of the needed distance and right about 20 yards, which ended up being a great miss being that the miss right meant I didn't go in the water that runs along the entire hole.

My final shot with the PC was again directly into the wind, with the intent of drawing it slightly into the hole. Obviously that was a foolish mistake as I had been hitting them dead straight. I missed it well right, but it really cut through the wind well and looked good.

Summary:

I was quite pleased at how these irons reacted to the colder weather. I know a lot of people argue that clubs don't change with the weather, but I am one that believes they absolutely do (especially with the x100 shafts installed). I needed a mix of feel, functionality, workability, and forgiveness and I think they still managed to give me that even though they were a bit more harsh on mis-hits. My score wasn't great, mostly on account of still uneven aerated greens and a couple of brutal lies but I won't attribute that to the irons.

Feel free to ask questions!

Just cathing up, great write ups and updates guys. Thanks to all who have taken the time to read through and comment too.

Thanks for the quick answer! That is exactly what my thoughts were. I am super interested in the split cavity irons and the combo make up. I just think (like you said) it simply makes sense and helps in so many ways. We are all going to miss and make mistakes - so why not allow those mistakes to hurt us less (especially on the distance clubs) ? Thanks again and great write ups!

I've come around to this way of thinking big time, all due to this testing opportunity. I was pretty set on my blade set, and liked the feel of those centre hits. But, as you say, after having a while with the VR Pro Combos - they feel great on good hits and offer a bit more forgiveness for those slightly off centre hits. Of course, a bad shot with these is still a bad shot, but the ones that aren't quite perfect are a bit better than the punishing results from the longer blades.
The beauty of the VR Pro Combos for me is that they've allowed me to stay in my comfort zone in the scoring range. I'm comfortable looking down at a blade, I'm comfortable swinging a blade, and I still get that. The makeup of the set, and the look that Nike has perfected here means that the whole set looks seamless and not too far away from the look I've gone for previously.

So it's officially fall in Ohio, which means annoying wind, mushy fairways, five layers of clothing, rain, and sub seven o'clock sunsets.

I was quite pleased at how these irons reacted to the colder weather. I know a lot of people argue that clubs don't change with the weather, but I am one that believes they absolutely do (especially with the x100 shafts installed). I needed a mix of feel, functionality, workability, and forgiveness and I think they still managed to give me that even though they were a bit more harsh on mis-hits. My score wasn't great, mostly on account of still uneven aerated greens and a couple of brutal lies but I won't attribute that to the irons.

Feel free to ask questions!

Nice update Dan.

First - Welcome to a hot summer in Scotland! :wink:

That's some interesting thoughts about the conditions. I guess the colder weather will make the mishits feel even more harsh, the grips feel harder. Do you think the conditions actually affect the performance of the clubs noticeably? Or does your swing change noticeably? Apart from the pocket cavities, I haven't seen many harsh mis-hits in this set as yet.

Nice update Dan.

First - Welcome to a hot summer in Scotland! :wink:

That's some interesting thoughts about the conditions. I guess the colder weather will make the mishits feel even more harsh, the grips feel harder. Do you think the conditions actually affect the performance of the clubs noticeably? Or does your swing change noticeably? Apart from the pocket cavities, I haven't seen many harsh mis-hits in this set as yet.

Oh I am sure it's both. With the mediocre conditions and early sunsets, my activity on the course and more notably on the range has decreased. That has to mean my swing is suffering in some form or another, whether it's the lack of flexibility in the more frigid weather, or whether my inability to golf six days a week has reduced my consistency.

I usually make a change to a softer ball (bridgestone e6 or srixon ad 333) later in the season and I have a feeling it's getting to be that time again..

Dunno if you have tried these out anywhere in LH but its tough. I went to a few golf stores and they only had the demo 6 iron with the screw on head. Still felt very good but when I got the actual set in LH (3-pw, DG x100) the feel was SO much better than the demo. Felt like they were springing off much better than the 6 iron I tried at the store. Definitely try an actual club compared to the demos before making a decision.

Well I got to play a round yesterday when we went to the beach. My writeup will follow but holy bleeping wow. Career best in some pretty tough conditions. The irons had a lot to do with it also as I had to keep the ball down and I was able to with ease. 75 in 20 mph winds which is pretty breezy for my parts

Well I got to play a round yesterday when we went to the beach. My writeup will follow but holy bleeping wow. Career best in some pretty tough conditions. The irons had a lot to do with it also as I had to keep the ball down and I was able to with ease. 75 in 20 mph winds which is pretty breezy for my parts

What?!?! 75 in 20 MPH winds? CAN'T wait to read this review man and let me go ahead and say great job & congrats!!

What?!?! 75 in 20 MPH winds? CAN'T wait to read this review man and let me go ahead and say great job & congrats!!

I was right on the ocean man. The breeze was pretty constant. Not 20mph constant but it was ever present. There were a lot of gusts and those were at least 20mph so I kind of averaged it out. I think 3/4 of my shots were knockdowns and I've really practiced those a lot. My driver was outstanding and when I needed to I hit a putt. Chipped in a few as well. It was just one of those rounds that I was extremelly confident over every shot.

thats one heck of a 75!!! congrats

Looking forward your recap, Chunky. That's a real solid round!

Sounds like a successful day Chunky! Great stuff, looking forward to reading about it. I faced some difficult conditions today too, and managed 12 holes. I'll give a quick write-up first -

Test Date: 10/3/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo irons with Dynamic Gold SL S300 shafts
Testing Purpose: Course play, 12 holes before weather stopped play!
My Club: As above, and previous set was Wilson fg59
Ball Used: Taylormade Penta, Titleist Pro V1 (2011)
Environment: Glasgow. 50 degrees, very gusty wind.

So I got out for a round today and thought I'd write it up. The conditions were very windy, quite cold and just about perfect to test out the things we've been talking about in this thread recently - do the clubs perform differently in testing conditions? Do the VR Pro Combos cut through the wind better than my previous irons?

I wasn't counting my score in this round, as I was using it for testing and hitting a couple of balls on some holes. My first hole was a bit of a disaster. Topped a 3w off the tee, topped a 6iron, then pulled a PW to the rough at the edge of the green. But, then I pulled the PW to play the shot I've been talking about lately, and drained it for a par!

On I went. The conditions today were dictating my club selection quite a bit. For instance, at the par 3 2nd hole, 180 yards into the wind....I selected 3 iron and put it on the front half of the green. For my 2nd shot at the 3rd, 155 yards, downwind, I selected 9 iron and put it pin high. This continued throughout the front 9.

Pocket cavities -

I hit a few pocket cavity shots today, due to the wind. My first effort at the par 3 2nd hole with the 3 iron was a nice, slight draw, climbing into the wind but not holding up too much. I used the 3 iron from the tee of the 7th too. 255 yard risk and reward par 4. Got a great shot shape, slight fade, coming to rest about 25 yards short of the green on the fairway. Tried a couple of lower-flighted shots to keep these under the breeze from the 8th and 9th tees too. Got these on video and I'll speak about this in my next posts, to accompany the video.

I must say that there wasn't much roll out to be had out there today, as the course is still very wet from recent rain.

Split cavity -

Didn't have the greatest day with the split cavities today. Hit a few lefts which I thought I was starting to erase from my game with these. I think the windy conditions served to exaggerate the shot shape and remind me that I still have to concentrate on these a little more. Gave me something to think about anyway. Again, my upcoming videos will show this a little.

Blades -

This is the sort of day when the blades really show their worth. Choking down a little, getting the ball back in the stance and really just swinging through the ball produced quite a few low, penetrating shots which lost little to no distance over a normal, well struck shot. I was very pleased with how these performed today, even though I seem to over-club with them almost every time! That's something to think about ongoing. Overall, the versatility in the blades really came in handy today.

I had to quit my round after 12 holes. To explain why, I caught a few secs of video -

Spoiler

Test Date: 10/3/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo irons with Dynamic Gold SL S300 shafts
Testing Purpose: On course test of penetrating ball flight in windy conditions
My Club: As above, and previous set was Wilson fg59
Ball Used: Taylormade Penta, Titleist Pro V1 (2011)
Environment: Glasgow. 50 degrees, very gusty wind.

So in addition to my write-up above, I took some time to video some additional testing while the conditions were very windy. There has been talk recently of how the Nike VR Pro Combos seem to have a very penetrating ball flight, and cut through the wind quite a bit. Thought it would be interesting to test that out in the conditions I face here at this time of year.

Disclaimer - The audio on the videos may be a bit shabby due to wind noise. This just adds to the effect. :wink: I'll write up the summary of what I said along with the videos.

First up - Pocket Cavities. 2nd hole, par 3. Playing 180 yds into the wind. I selected a 3 iron, and decided to play a normal swing. 2 shots to compare.

Spoiler

Summary - I was pretty happy with the 2nd shot. A normal swing, no manipulation of the ball flight on my part. The ball ended up on the front edge of the green. Probably losing about 15-20 yards on a normal 3 iron shot, but I'd say this was a 2 club wind at least. Hopefully you can hear that from the video!

Next - Split Cavities. 6th Hole, par 3. 167 yards, with a right-to-left gusting wind. I chose 7 iron, normal swing.

Spoiler

Summary - I struggled with the split cavities a bit all day. I think I need to pay attention to the occasional pulls I'm seeing in normal conditions, as when it's this windy, any sort of spin on the ball is magnified by the wind. You can hopefully see this with my 2nd shot here. Not the worst hit, but I put some draw on it and the wind just grabbed it and it missed long and left. The first hit was straight where I was trying to put it, but it just flew a little too far and bounced once on the back of the green! I wouldn't take the strike back, and I guess I can say it definitely flew through the wind well!

Overall, I can't say that a side wind doesn't affect the flight of these irons. It does. If it didn't, I'd be asking more questions! I will say though, that the ball wasn't blown out of the air by this gusting wind, and I didn't see any distance loss on the shots. Interesting stuff.

One last thing on the pocket cavities, and perhaps my fellow testers could help me out. I tried to get some video of a low stinger-style 3 iron shot that I was very used to using with my previous blades. I just can't execute this shot with the pocket cavity of the VR Pro Combos. All I was getting is a low hook. Not out-of-the-park hook, but not very controlled. I'm not sure if this was totally technique, or if the slightly more forgiving nature of these irons try to get the ball up in the air and somehow turn into this shot. Fellow testers - if you get the chance, could you try this shot and see how you get on?

Here's an example of my attempt at the 9th tee -

Spoiler

Thanks for watching guys. Questions and comments (even on the skinny legwear) are welcomed as always!

Test Date: 10/2/11
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combos PX Graphite Shaft 5.0
My Club: I play the Pro Combos but prior set was Wilson Staff Di11’s
Ball Used: TM Burner Tour
Environment: Big breeze and cold

Well the family went to the beach and the wife was nice enough to let me go golfing. I brought the clubs with me because I was going to make a Seve inspired beach hitting video. Video mishaps with waves ensued and so I was just lucky that I had the clubs with me. Feel like I’ve been hitting the ball pretty well. It’s very windy today and I have been practicing my knockdowns a lot so that hopefully that practice pays off. Bundled up I head to the first tee

1[SUP]st[/SUP] hole—327—3W puts me in the fairway with 100 left. Confidently pull PW and hit a ¾ shot that I pull way left and in a bunker. Bunker splash to 8 feet and miss the putt for a 5. Made great contact with the PW just pulled it. Distance was spot on

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hole—484—Hit a solid drive to the middle of the fairway. Wind was directly in my face and so I decide to layup to 100 yards. Hit a nice knockdown 6I to the left edge of the fairway. Ball stayed real low and had just a hint of a fade at the end. Dead center contact with that 6I. Once again sat with 100 and once again pull PW. Once again pull it dead left but pin high. Gotta work this out. Sitting in a bit of rough and hit a nice chip with PW that just runs right into the stick and drops. 4

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] hole—179—Wind is right to left and howling. Bunkers to the left and I aim at the left side of the green and play for a fade with a 4I. Ball holds off into the wind and hops and stops in the middle of the green. Don’t really know what I did there but I have very rarely hit a low 4I that had as much spin as this one did. Ball was within 3 feet of the pitchmark. Nice 2 putt gives me 3

4[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—370—Hit a bit of a pull hook that lands just in the left rough. 150 left and I pull 6I to make sure I hit it over the bunker guarding the front. I get the ball up too high and it just drops out of the sky in front of the bunker. A poor chip goes over the green. I use PW to chip up to a foot and tap in for 5. Played the ball back in the stance and popped the ball right onto the green. Ball rolled very nicely and I just missed making it.

5[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—133—Small kidney shaped green surrounded by bunkers. Pin is back left. Take 8I and put the ball back in my stance. Hit a nice knockdown that lands to the left of the pin and spins left and into a bunker. Nice shot and just some bad luck. I hit a terrible bunker shot over the green and into some patchy rough. I have a bit of a bare lie and 20 feet to the pin. Pull PW and pop the ball onto the green and watch it once again hit the stick and drop for 3. This is beginning to feel like my day. With the 8I tee shot, I hit the ball slightly heel side and as usual I felt no punishment for hitting toward the heel.

6[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—397--Big dogleg right with bunkers in the landing zone left of the fairway. Hit a nice cut that lands in the middle of the fairway. 170 left and I pull 5I. One of the few times that the wind is not an issue and I hit a solid 5I to the middle of the green. Solid 2 putt gives me 4

7[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—351—Wind is once again whipping. I take Mashie and play a rope hook low and under the trees and the shot comes off nicely but just goes into the left rough. 120 left to the pin and I pull 8I. I’ve got a tree in between me and the green and I play a small draw that starts at the right edge and draws back in but not enough. Just on the right fringe and I play the PW chip that I’ve had some great success with. Not this time as I run it 5 feet past. Little right to left breaker and I drain it for 4

8[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—506—Wind at my back and I bomb one(for me) that lands on a bit of a hill and leaps forward and sits just in the left rough. Feeling confident I take mashie and go for the green but leave it out to the right just short of the green. Lob the ball over a bunker and it rolls up to the pin about a foot short. Tap in for 4

9[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—378—Stinger 3W that is more thin than stinger but it still goes pretty well. I’ve got 150 left and I hit a really high and straight 7I that stops dead on the green about 10 feet short of the pin. Just miss the putt to the right and tap in for 4

Walk off cold and numb. The wind is howling out there. I’ve hit the ball pretty well and the knockdowns are solid today. Couple of chip ins with the PW has kept my score pretty low. The PW shots came off exactly how I wanted them to. Lands on the green pretty soft and rolled straight. I get a hot chocolate and head to the back

10[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—373—Slight dogleg right and I hit driver to the left edge of the fairway. Pretty small landing area on this green. Wind is not a factor so I want to take it in high to help stop the ball. 148 left and I go with 7I due to a slight breeze into my face. Make center contact and the ball flies high and straight right at the pin. Ball lands 5 feet past the hole and runs out another 3 feet. Skim the right edge with the putt and tap in for 4.

11[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—378—Straight ahead par 4 with a bunker to the right edge of the fairway. Take aim at the left rough and play a cut to the middle of the fairway. 140 left and I play 8I that goes straight up in the air and lands just on the front of the green. Caught the ball just a tiny bit fat and a little high on the clubface which made me lose just a bit if distance. 30 feet straight up hill and I leave the first putt 4 feet short. Lip the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] putt out and tap in for 5. Grrr

12[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—160—Water between tee and green but not really in play. Bunkers guard the front and the pin is back right. Hit a nice knockdown 6I to the middle of the green but it rolls off the back onto the fringe. I putt the ball up to 3 feet and tap in for 3. 6I felt good but it really had no spin coming into the green.

13[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—482—Driver up the left edge and I have a decision. A small fade with the mashie could get me there if hit perfectly. I decide to layup to 100 yards though and so I hit 7I to the left edge of the fairway. 95 left and I pull PW. This time I hit it straight and it hops and stops 5 feet left of the pin. Hit the putt for 4. Took a bit of a dead arm swing with the PW and it stopped dead . Felt really nice and the ball mark on the club face was dead center.

14[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—356--3W to the center of the fairway but it is short. Wind is really whipping and I go with a punch 4I that lands short of the green and rolls into a greenside bunker. Poor bunker shot leaves me with 15 feet. Skim the left edge of the cup and tap in for 5. The punch 4I was hit very nicely with a small fade. Ball mark was toward the heel again and once again I felt no punishment. I tend to hit the ball toward the heel so not being punished for that is a big time bonus for me.

15[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—360—Driver is pushed straight right and into the woods. This is starting to feel like a collapse. I find my ball though and I actually have an avenue if I can keep the ball low. 170 left and I pull 3I. Put the ball back in the stance and take a ¾ swing and a low follow through. Ball rockets out of the woods and starts to fade landing in front of the green and rolls into a bunker. Water to the left of the green made this a tough shot but I went for it and put it where I wanted to miss. Poor bunker shot and 2 putts give me 5

16[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—518—Straight ahead par 5. Really go for it and push the ball right and into the woods again. Find my ball and punch out to the 180 yard mark. 3I goes a little too high and drops onto the front of the green. 30 foot uphill and a predictable 3 putt has me shaking my head. 6

17[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—176—Water front and right and the wind is left to right. Try to put a fade into the wind and the ball lands 15 feet short of the pin. Just run the first putt 2 feet past and hit the putt for 3

18[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—430—Tough finishing hole with the wind in my face. Hit driver into left edge of the fairway. 200 left and water in front. Long is not bad so I hit Mashie that starts left but the wind pushes it back and it lands right in the middle of the green. An easy 2 putt and I finish with a nice 4.

I walk off angry with myself as I really thought I had a good round going. I hadn’t really paid attention but I was remembering the 3 hole stretch of bogies and so I thought I blew a good round. I started adding it up and was stunned to see a 75 staring back at me. I hit the ball very well but it just felt very ho hum. 3 birdies really help the scorecard.
Hit the irons very well today. Other than a few pulls and a few sky balls that were wind aided I was making center contact all day. I walk off thinking that I don’t shoot that 75 with my older GI clubs. I don’t think I would have been as successful flighting the ball with those irons as I was with the Pro Combos. Stats are 4/7 FIR and 4/9 GIR on the front and a 36. Hit 5/7 FIR and 7/9 GIR on the back with a 39. This is my best round ever and I can give the Pro Combos a lot of credit especially with how windy it was.

I hit the Pocket Cavs very well also which is now becoming the norm.
My chipping with the PW was spot on today with 2 dropping in the hole.
A couple of pull lefts early with the PW but I straightened it out during the round.
The clubs do not mind balls slightly heel side.

Wow nice writeup CL! I am really enjoying this thread and honestly the most beautiful irons on the market IMO. Nike seems to have really hit a homerun with these irons

Outstanding write-ups Paulo & Chunky!

Paulo - that wind was ridiculous man, glad I don't have to play in that mess too often. Was cool to hear about the blades and success with placing it back for a low ball flight for minimal distance loss.

Chunky: heck of a round buddy! Even more impressive that you did it in such windy conditions.

I played 9 today with the wife and will have a little write-up tomorrow. Only used the irons on 4 or 5 shots off the top of my head but still have some a little to share before heading back out to play tomorrow after work.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Awesome write ups guys! Great round Chunky - congrats on the great round!!!

Nice write ups guys! Really great round CL. I think these irons are really working out for everybody.

This may be a day late and a dollar short but I just read the review and comments on chipping with PW. Question for the testers? How often is a PW, 9iron chipped used in a given round? What is the situation? How often do use a SW or 60*? again what is the situation? How affective are you with either?

Kongfrontation

This may be a day late and a dollar short but I just read the review and comments on chipping with PW. Question for the testers? How often is a PW, 9iron chipped used in a given round? What is the situation? How often do use a SW or 60*? again what is the situation? How affective are you with either?

Kongfrontation

I don't chip with a 9I. I probably chip 6 times in a round I would think on average. Lately I've been trying out the PW but normally I use my GW. I've been trying out the PW in situations like a tighter lie and a longer roll out is needed. I'm very comfortable with the GW in rough or shorter distance chips where you want more carry and less roll out. I only use the LW/SW in dire circumstances like short side miss or out of sand. I would say by far I am most effective with the GW but I'm slowly gaining some confidence with the PW. It's taking me a little time to get used to the idea of running the ball on the ground as opposed to the fly it halfway and have it run halfway like the GW will typically give me.

Thanks CLsmooth and nice round btw. Gotta love those rounds where you just play, add it up and wow look what I found...a good round

Kongfrontation

Thanks CLsmooth and nice round btw. Gotta love those rounds where you just play, add it up and wow look what I found...a good round

Kongfrontation

It was insane. It's the birdies. I've had plenty of rounds that I get a ton of pars and some bogies but very rarely do I get 1 birdie much less 3. I appreciate that man

Great round Chunk! Nice write up as well. I love those rounds where you just feel like you played ok yet you score well. Chipping two in with the PW is awesome man, good work.

Paulo - great write up as well. As cookie said, I'm glad I don't have to play in that weather very often and no one can blame you for quitting. I really enjoyed your thoughts and videos of the shots in the wind.

Kongfrontation

Never too late! We love questions and really appreciate you (and everyone else) reading this thread.

Honestly, never for me. Personally, I use my 60* around the green and 80 yards and in. I've tried practicing with the blades of this set, and I just cannot get as comfortable with them as I am with my wedge. I'm still practicing it though, because I can see the blades being very good to chip with if I can get comfortable. I'm just so used to using my 60 that anything else seems awkward. Sorry, does that make sense? Because I use the 60 for 80 yards and in, I use it pretty often, mostly when I miss greens or for my 3rd shot on par 5s. Im pretty effective with my 60 which is part of why I'm kind of stubborn to switching to another club/method.

I'm hoping to play tomorrow, so I can try to take some videos chipping with the PW if you'd like. I'm always looking for ideas!

Back