Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure how many Indy Car fans there are here at THP, but Dan Wheldon, this years winner of the Indy 500 was in a horrific crash during the Indy car race at Las Vegas. This was Dan's first race since Indy. He started last in the race and was part of a promotional deal where if he won the race, he would split $5 million with a lucky fan. There were 15 cars involved total. Most drivers walked away, but two, including Pippa Mann and Dan were taken from the track. Will Power was taken after having first walked away, to be checked out. Both Mann & Power did not have life threatening injuries.

It was announced just a few minutes ago on ABC that Dan passed away. Very sad.

Godspeed Dan Wheldon!

Last edited:
Thats really sad. My thoughts are with his family.

Very very sad. I hate to see this stuff happen. Tony Kanaan was distraught. RIP Dan Wheldon

This is very sad. I'm not a racing fan, but as a sports fan in general this is just horrible to see. RIP.

I was watching the race live and knew that it was one of the worst accidents I had ever seen, but I didn't think it was this bad. What's horrible is that he leaves a wife and 2 young children behind, just so sad. I'm a fan of all types of racing, and I'm just numb right now.

Just heard that, wow, how incredibly shocking.

Wow, you hate to see stuff like this. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Just saw this replayed on Versus. How horrible. Prayers to his family.

Just caught this during dinner. Very sad, RIP Dan.

Just saw the tape. This always sucks. I remember when Dale Earnhardt died on the final turn of the Daytona 500.

The only solace is that they guys know the risk and were doing what they loved to do.

This was sad to watch unfold! Prayers to his wife, kids and family.

Such a sad sad story! Very talented individual!

Just saw the tape. This always sucks. I remember when Dale Earnhardt died on the final turn of the Daytona 500.

The only solace is that they guys know the risk and were doing what they loved to do.

I'll never forget when this happened. I was in a meeting and just got the word my group would be meeting Dale soon. He hand placed our company logo's on his car, which is very rare, and we were really excited about the partnership. He passed a few days latter.

very sad... what a horrible crash!

RIP Mr Wheldon. You were a racing icon that will be heartily missed.

Bulldogs :'(

This is such a sad story, that crash looked horrific.

Extremely sad and shocking. RIP Dan.

Tappin' from my iPad!

With all the crazy crashes that happen in auto racing, it's almost easy to take if for granted that stuff like this doesn't really happen all that much, until it does. Very sad indeed.. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Extremely sad day. My deepest sympathy goes out to Dan's family, friends and the Indy community.

RIP Dan. My thoughts are with his family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP Dan Wheldon.

Wow, just saw the news. Dan and I went to the same gym and had the same trainer for a while. I met him a few times and he was super nice guy, even offered to get me into the pits for the 500. I've pulled for him for years. The sport lost a great racer and a truly nice guy. I hate it, especially when I read he had just picked up a full time ride for 2012.

Defintely the biggest racing death since The Intimidator. I was a huge Earnhardt fan growing up. I remember watching Daytona that year. My friend wanted me to go to the movies, and as soon as it was over I left. I walked into my front door after the movie to my mom saying "He's dead, Dale was killed on the last lap". I spent most of that week watching the specials and his funeral. Nascar hasn't been the same since for me.

I saw the crash replay (and solid reporting) on Sportscenter tonight, just so sad. Dario Franchitti talked about how hard they push their cars, their teams and each other with death looming in the background. Then a day happens like this one and it doesn't seem worth it. Sad stuff indeed.

Back