Changable driver shafts

I would agree with that. I've got extra weights for my putter in my bag too.

On sort of the same subject. Say you were using your R7 driver and you lost a weight. I know it shouldn't happen if properly installed but lets pretend. Can you then add the weight or are you now not able to use the driver. I'm thinking it would fall under what happened with AK.
Here are some Q&A's from the USGA site on rulings
If I'm reading the rule right, it would depend on why the weight came out, if you hit the club on the ground and dislodged the weight then, no you can't replace it. That would not be "normal course of play"

Here they are talking about lead weight, but I would assume changeable weights would fall under the same ruling.
4-2/0.5 Lead Tape Applied to Clubhead or Shaft During Round

Q. With regard to Decision 4-1/4, may a player remove, add or alter lead tape during a round?

A. No. However, lead tape that becomes detached from the club in the normal course of play may be placed back onto the club in the same location. If the lead tape will not remain on the club in the same location, new tape may be used. Every effort should be made to restore the club, as nearly as possible, to its previous condition. Alternatively, the club may be used in its damaged state (without the lead tape) for the remainder of the round (Rule 4-3a).

If the tape is altered or damaged other than in the normal course of play, the club may not be used for the remainder of the round, under penalty of disqualification (see Rules 4-2a and 4-3).
4-3/1 Meaning of Damage Sustained in “Normal Course of Play”

Q. In Rule 4-3a, what is meant by the term “normal course of play”?

A. The term “normal course of play” is intended to cover all reasonable acts but specifically excludes cases of abuse.

In addition to making a stroke, practice swing or practice stroke, examples of acts that are in the “normal course of play” include the following:

• removing or replacing a club in the bag;

• using a club to search for or retrieve a ball;

• leaning on a club while waiting to play, teeing a ball or removing a ball from the hole; or

• accidentally dropping a club.

Examples of acts that are not in the “normal course of play” include the following:

• throwing a club in anger or otherwise;

• “slamming” a club into a bag; or

• intentionally striking something (e.g., the ground or a tree) with the club other than during a stroke, practice swing or practice stroke.

Alternatively, the club may be used in its damaged state (without the lead tape) for the remainder of the round (Rule 4-3a).

That answers this question then.

At that point you would be playing an altered club right or would that be considered a substitute club then?

I doubt that I'll ever have to worry about it, but there are so many rules it boggles my mind.:D

Just the rule about the ball having to go in the hole boggles my mind :alien2: but I agree most of the rules boggle my mind.

Back