Morgan Cup Invades Myrtle Beach in 2012

Any THP'ers want to try to plan a trip to check the course out? I know I would love to play it once.

I sure would, might not be as easy for me as it would for you though but still let me know if anything gets set-up.

I sure would, might not be as easy for me as it would for you though but still let me know if anything gets set-up.

I guarantee I will look into it. I will have to look at finances with the outing and MC just a few months away, but I would love to see this course after all the great things said about it.

I can't stay off the Fish Club website.

I can't stay off the Fish Club website.

If you keep going back to it, your company will block if for you. HAHA

Any THP'ers want to try to plan a trip to check the course out? I know I would love to play it once.

Going down in February is your best bet dude. That's when we use to go down there. We could probably secure a condo and some rounds at True Blue and Caledonia for a decent price.

What airport would I fly into if I wanted to check out airfare? THen would I need a car or is there sufficient transportation available?

Going down in February is your best bet dude. That's when we use to go down there. We could probably secure a condo and some rounds at True Blue and Caledonia for a decent price.

I am down! Do you have an idea of price? I could manage to put back a few hundred with that time frame.

My guess is Myrtle Beach Airport.

I didn't realize they had one until I checked it out yesterday, but it looks like you can get there pretty easily.

Wow, awesome announcement! I've gotten to play these 2 courses on one of our guys' trip to Myrlte Beach. These are the best maintained coursed I've played in Myrtle Beach. True Blue is an absolute beast of a course. Caledonia certainly has its challenges too and these courses will test the MC golfers big time. Nicely done THP getting this set up!

You are correct GG. Most flights though have me heading to Charlotte then connect to Myrtle Beach. I am guessing/assuming then Myrtle Beach is not a real big airport.

Charlotte is the largest airport in the area. Unless the locals know something I don't......driving from Charlotte to the coast is a major pain in the rear. Stop and go highways, no major interstates, I'm guessing about 180 miles of it.

Having the MC at Myrtle is awesome!! Close enough to drive down and check it out, if I don't make a team that is! Great choice JB/GG!

That's a pretty good idea. You could even do something last-minute in January or February, there's always a weekend where the weather is pretty good during those months and the rates are the cheapest of the year at that time.

You are correct GG. Most flights though have me heading to Charlotte then connect to Myrtle Beach. I am guessing/assuming then Myrtle Beach is not a real big airport.

MB does have an airport, but it's not all that big. People flying in from places outside of the Southeast are most likely going to have to connect through Charlotte or Atlanta.

Charlotte is the largest airport in the area. Unless the locals know something I don't......driving from Charlotte to the coast is a major pain in the rear. Stop and go highways, no major interstates, I'm guessing about 180 miles of it.

Having the MC at Myrtle is awesome!! Close enough to drive down and check it out, if I don't make a team that is! Great choice JB/GG!

It is probably a 3 - 3.5 hour drive from Charlotte.

That's a pretty good idea. You could even do something last-minute in January or February, there's always a weekend where the weather is pretty good during those months and the rates are the cheapest of the year at that time.

MB does have an airport, but it's not all that big. People flying in from places outside of the Southeast are most likely going to have to connect through Charlotte or Atlanta.

Continental flies out of Newark and into MB for cheap. I found a $265 round trip for the dates of the MC 2.0. I am saving the page that says that!

I am down! Do you have an idea of price? I could manage to put back a few hundred with that time frame.

We use to go down and stay on grounds at True Blue. We got 2 nights accomadation (Friday, Saturday), and three rounds of golf (Fri, Sat, Sun), with breakfast in the clubhouse at True Blue (Sat, Sun) and it cost us $300 per person.

Perhaps it would be best to contact someone at True Blue, let them know that you want to come down to prepare for the Morgan Cup. Maybe they'd offer a discount or something. February is a good time to go down there and golf but the weather can be hit or miss. Some years it was perfect, albeit chilly, and others it would be super windy. I think you'll like both golf courses. Personally, I found Caledonia to be more difficult as you need to be able to control your golf ball, but I always tended to score well there. It's much more a course mgmt type golf course. I think you'll really like Caledonia. There is some risk/reward opportunities but the risk is almost too great in my opinion. Personally, I think Caledonia would make the ideal course for singles or best ball. True Blue is long, and if the wind is up, it's brutally long. I think it would be ideal for the scramble.

For those looking at flights, also look at flights into Chaleston, SC. I believe that Southwest offers flights there now.

We use to go down and stay on grounds at True Blue. We got 2 nights accomadation (Friday, Saturday), and three rounds of golf (Fri, Sat, Sun), with breakfast in the clubhouse at True Blue (Sat, Sun) and it cost us $300 per person.

Perhaps it would be best to contact someone at True Blue, let them know that you want to come down to prepare for the Morgan Cup. Maybe they'd offer a discount or something. February is a good time to go down there and golf but the weather can be hit or miss. Some years it was perfect, albeit chilly, and others it would be super windy. I think you'll like both golf courses. Personally, I found Caledonia to be more difficult as you need to be able to control your golf ball, but I always tended to score well there. It's much more a course mgmt type golf course. I think you'll really like Caledonia. There is some risk/reward opportunities but the risk is almost too great in my opinion. Personally, I think Caledonia would make the ideal course for singles or best ball. True Blue is long, and if the wind is up, it's brutally long. I think it would be ideal for the scramble.

Awesome! That is some great information. I will def be giving them a call to see what they can do.

For those looking at flights, also look at flights into Chaleston, SC. I believe that Southwest offers flights there now.
Looks like it is about 2 hours for the drive. Raleigh-Durham airport is about 3-1/2 and from the flights I saw yesterday, a lot cheaper than Charleston, at least from KC. Just depends if you want the extra drive time each way. If you are going to be renting a car anyway, either of those could work for you, especially since you won't be paying luggage fees on Southwest.

I just finally got to look at the photo tour of True Blue. What a beautiful place. Hole #11, made me sick to my stomach. With my sand game, I could be on that one hole for all of eternity.

Looks like it is about 2 hours for the drive. Raleigh-Durham airport is about 3-1/2 and from the flights I saw yesterday, a lot cheaper than Charleston, at least from KC. Just depends if you want the extra drive time each way. If you are going to be renting a car anyway, either of those could work for you, especially since you won't be paying luggage fees on Southwest.

Yeah, but that drive really sucks. I'd pay plenty extra just to avoid RDU.

I just spent more time checking out the Fish Club website and reading some articles on the courses.

Yeah, but that drive really sucks. I'd pay plenty extra just to avoid RDU.

I don't know where everyone is comig from, but I'd be coming from Newark and a flight from there to MB is over $100 cheaper round trip than one from there to Charleston. Cheapest is Continental to MB round trip for $265 and cheapest to Charleston is $388 round trip on US Airways. I'll be flying in directly to MB.

I just spent more time checking out the Fish Club website and reading some articles on the courses.

Very cool isn't it! I love everything I've seen on both sites so far and am incredibly geeked up that unless something goes horribly wrong I'm going to get to see a course I've been wanting to see for a long time. The history around of the low-country area and homage to architecture pleases me.

Back