TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

I played a new course yesterday with some very hard greens and I'll have a write-up about that a little later today.

As far as wear that is mentioned. There is wear, but it's not excessive and I think it's better than some other clubs I've seen.

TC, I really enjoyed your write-up. I know there is a par 3 course around here, but I've never considered playing it. I like your thinking and being able to get some more work in with the irons. Thanks again for the write-up and videos.

OEM, well done and I've always respected how you tell it how it is. You'll get your issues sorted out. You work to hard not to.

Stupid driver. So I slow the swing down, shorten it and everything goes back to normal.
Kev. When you "slow the swing down", do you feel as if you've gone to "semi-slow motion" as compared to your "pre-R11" swing speeds/tempo. I only ask, because while on the range, at times, I think I'm at the right swing tempo, but when I slow it down more, things get better for me. (not saying "even better"), but better in terms of accuracy; but I feel like I'm in almost "matrix" like slow motion. I have found this to be good in some aspects, but I just pondered your feelings about just how "slow" you think things are.

Slowing things down too much or getting too mechanical can get your timing off. Sometimes it's better just to go out there and swing away and let the natural ability take over. Clear your mind and quit forcing it.

Over the last couple days I had the chance to get the R11 irons out each day for two rounds and one range session. Im going to hit on each one briefly below and hit on a few points, so good and some not so good.

Test Date: 10/24/2011
Testing Club: TaylorMade R11 irons with graphite shafts
Ball Used: Srixon Qstar
Course: Chesepeak Bay Golf Club, Rising Sun MD. 70.1 / 124
White tee's 6211 yards
Environment: 60* and windy

Monday. I wasnt really sure what to expect for this round after my four 10 hour work days. Right now Im in the middle of a Thursday - Sunday 6AM-5PM shift that basically eats up my entire day leaving no time for practice. I decided to head to the course and play on Monday and just accept the carnage. Conditions called for sun and very little wind. I get there and its chilly and windy. I hit a few balls to warm up and as expected I struggle. I wasnt hitting the ball crisp and clean like I prefer. Most of my shots were coming up very short. Once on the course I saw pretty much the same thing. I noticed that I was hitting a full club more then I usual. Once again stuggling off the tee really hurt my round. I didnt see a lot if FIR or GIR's and as expected I struggled to keep my score under triple digits. As I played this round I kept thinking "man I need to spend some quality time on the range with the R11's and aslo try to straighten the swing up a bit. As I stuggled throught this round a couple things came to mind. Lets keep it real. No iron is going to be a savior for a bad swing or a bad flaw that might have crept into your swing. A bad swing is bad swing with a pretty club too. But the R11 irons sure do try. Take hole #18. I hit another bad drive that lands very short and over to the left of the fairway. I have a long way to the hole so I grab the 4 iron and rope one across the corner and into the fairway. I get up to the ball and find it went through the fairway just a bit leaving 125 to a uphit green. I hit the 9 and it lands about 7 or 8' past the hole. That was all R11 irons to end with a GIR with basically no help from the driver. Another positive was the lack of fat shots. Turf interaction was again very good. Saw very little ballooning again. When I did hit greens they were soft. So not all bad even though the score wasnt all good.

Test Date: 10/25/2011
Driving Range

Tuesday. After the Monday Massacre it was time for some range love. To keep it real once again this is probably only my second full range session with the R11's. With time and daylight becoming shorter Ive taken my opportunites to learn the R11's on the course and not the range. One thing that bothered me on Monday was I saw a couple sh***s throughout the round. So I went into this range session with a couple things in mind. Work on the scoring clubs and the hosel rockets. After hitting the SW I start with the AW. Then move to the PW and up till I get to the 8 iron. Im hitting them all well. Until I grabbed the driver somewhere there in the middle. Then I started hitting sh***s again with the 8 iron. Stupid driver. So I slow the swing down, shorten it and everything goes back to normal. At this point I feel a lot better then I did Monday. The R11 scoring clubs got a nice workout and I feel much more confident then I did the day before. So after a round of golf and one range session I do notice that I have some swing flaws that have crept back into my swing. I cant help but be impressed with the R11 irons even more now. They really are forgiving and my last few rounds have shown it.

Test Date: 10/26/2011
Ball Used: Srixon Zstar
Course: Patriots Glen Golf Club, Elkton MD 68.5 / 128
Red Tee's 6035 yards
Environment: 60* light wind

Wednesday. Irons only round from the red tees. Driver, 3W and hybrid are in the trunk. I play the forward tees on all holes except the par3's which I play from the whites. This probably ends up at something like 6200 yards maybe. I hit the 4 iron off the tee on all par4 and 5's. I really struggled with the 4 iron though. So much so that on all the longer par4's and all the par5's I hit 4 iron twice. I just couldnt get 200 out of it. Not even close to it. For some reason Id hit the 5 iron and see 180 which was sometimes longer then the 4 iron. So while I hit a good amount of FW's I didnt hit a lot of GIR's. This is what the numbers looked like. 45 on the front 9 with 5/7 FW's but only 2 GIR's one of which was a par3. Back 9 was a 44 with 3/7 FW's and 2 GIR's again. So while I struggled with getting enough distance to score hitting only irons kept the huge numbers off the card. I still had a couple doubles from dumb stuff or bad bounce but none of it was from a tee shot like normal. I hit the 4 iron off the tee 13 times and found the FW 7 of those 13. And none of the misses were penalized. Now if I can bring that distance closer to 200 yards Id be much happier. So from my Monday round to this one I saw a 10 stroke differenc between them moving up tees and playing only irons. Pretty eye opening to be honest. I tried to really focus on better tempo during this round and it worked great on the front. Then on the back I noticed myself getting quick and that is when I started missing FW's again. Good tempo is rewarded with good shots with these irons plain and simple. Get quick and I pulled my tee shots over left and my other miss was the occasional block out right. All in all I pleased with this round even though I was having some distance issues.

At this point in the testing Im impressed with everything thats packed into such a good looking club. Ive really struggled with my swing lately but have still seen really good shots with the R11's. I feel like Im hitting a club that is just as forgiving as any Ive played while looking great, providing good distance and great feel. They dont work miracles on my swing but they also dont punish me nearly as bad as a true players club would. This is something I love about them. And the graphite shafts still perform as well as any steel shaft Ive used so far.

OEM Kevin were kind of deep into this thread I've forgotten what Irons you were playing before the R11's. Wondering if you had issue's with the long Iron's in your previous set? Man there's so much to read between all the different tester's and the R11's on my list to check out after seeing Buck swing them last weekend.

OEM Kevin were kind of deep into this thread I've forgotten what Irons you were playing before the R11's. Wondering if you had issue's with the long Iron's in your previous set? Man there's so much to read between all the different tester's and the R11's on my list to check out after seeing Buck swing them last weekend.
A better question, is what set didn't he play? :D

Thanks guys.

Hawk, I was watching something last night and I think I might have found something that was robbing distance. As usual it always goes back to the basics. Set up, complete shoulder turn, hip turn back and through, stuff like that. We'll see though when I can get back to the range. Thankfully the dumb schedule ends this Sunday and Im back to the normal.

One thing that I was a little disappointed with the iron only round was not being able to hit a more variety of shots. I got a little tired of hitting 4 iron short, 4 iron shot and then wedge. The only tee's closer would have been the ladies. Not gonna happen. But I was hoping to hit all my irons throughout the round but this just didnt happen. I sure got a lot of swings in with the 4 though.

Hey Kev, why not mix things up and tee off with a 9 iron or 7 iron? then you might have the distance for a different club on the approach instead of 4i all the time.

Kev. When you "slow the swing down", do you feel as if you've gone to "semi-slow motion" as compared to your "pre-R11" swing speeds/tempo. I only ask, because while on the range, at times, I think I'm at the right swing tempo, but when I slow it down more, things get better for me. (not saying "even better"), but better in terms of accuracy; but I feel like I'm in almost "matrix" like slow motion. I have found this to be good in some aspects, but I just pondered your feelings about just how "slow" you think things are.

I had to lol @ "Matrix" like slow.

Spoiler
6a00d8341bf7f753ef00e54fb558468834-800wi.jpg

But you know this is actually a really good description. When I think Im slowing it down and have good tempo its usually still not all that slow. When I really have good tempo it feels like slow motion. But then I'll ask a playing partner if it looked strange or if it looked as slow as it felt and they always say no looked normal and more importantly not quick. Its getting quick in the transition that really kills my swing as I usually end with a pull hook. I agree Biggsy to a certain extent. There comes a time when you just have to swing and let it take over with less thought and mechanics. For me Ive been trying to focus on being more slow in the takeaway, smoother in transition to the downswing and then accelerating through the ball at impact.

I feel the exact same way OEM. I feel like I'm taking a 10 second swing, but it doesn't end up looking that way on video.

I was playing the Callaway RXT's from the Morgan Cup before the R11's and did not have the 4 iron in that set. Ive always enjoyed hitting the 4 iron though and for the most part have had success with it. The last year or two I've kind of gone back and forth between the 4 and a hybrid though depending on the set. With the graphite shafts, forgiveness and distance in the R11's I think the 4 iron is a great club for finding a fairway when you have to have it.

Hey Kev, why not mix things up and tee off with a 9 iron or 7 iron? then you might have the distance for a different club on the approach instead of 4i all the time.

I don't get it. How can I tee off with a 9 iron on these par4's that are 360, 355, 380 and such? This course I played had only two short par4's I think which were 280 and 310. And of course I bogeyed both of them lol.

I feel the exact same way OEM. I feel like I'm taking a 10 second swing, but it doesn't end up looking that way on video.

Funny what our perception is compared to the reality of how the swing looks. I feel like Im taking forever on my swing but in reality its just a good tempo is all. And usually its a much better result.

It has made a huge difference in the consistency department for me. The problem is sticking to it when it counts. Just takes time I think.

I don't get it. How can I tee off with a 9 iron on these par4's that are 360, 355, 380 and such? This course I played had only two short par4's I think which were 280 and 310. And of course I bogeyed both of them lol.

Well maybe not a 9 iron that was a bit extreme but a 6 perhaps. I had thought you were using these rounds to familiarize yourself with the irons and not care so much about the score. Who cares if it takes you 7 shots to get to the green on a par 4 or 5. IF you have the course pretty much to yourself and just want to get a feel for the clubs it shouldn't matter. That is how I am looking to it, get myself out there when the course is relatively quiet and just hit the clubs and learn about them. Then when you are playing your regular round, you should be wiser as to what you can and can't do with the irons and all should be better.

OEM, nice recap bro. You're right a bad swing is a bad swing. But the forgiveness of the R11 sure does help. Sounds to me like the issue is in the driver if you were 10 shots better with irons only. A swing flaw will really show with the big stick.
Get that flaw ironed out and you'll back to smooth sailing in no time.

great write ups OEM and TC..... theres 2 par three courses near me ones about an hour away that i play sometimes and ones private but i go there for playing lessons with my instructor.... been itching to get to either but with my schedule and the rain its been hard. Hoping the rain stops today so i can get to the range but its not looking good. I bet these irons would rock either of the par 3 courses close to me. i love par 3s now just make a smooth swing and take out the putter. it seems even if i don't make GIR im on the fringe a lot. experienced that a lot this weekend too the greens were very difficult to hold and my balls were spinning back or just rolling off.

Well, I had my first round with the new R-11's today and even though I wasn't swinging well, I find these irons to be very
forgiving. Hole #2 I was 140 out into the wind and I hit a pull and thin 8 iron pin high 15 feet left. The ball was about
2 feet from its pitch mark. If I made a pure swing I may have gone long. Most shots with the irons today were thin but
the results were not horrible. I think I just need to get used to these new irons.

Well, I had my first round with the new R-11's today and even though I wasn't swinging well, I find these irons to be very
forgiving. Hole #2 I was 140 out into the wind and I hit a pull and thin 8 iron pin high 15 feet left. The ball was about
2 feet from its pitch mark. If I made a pure swing I may have gone long. Most shots with the irons today were thin but
the results were not horrible. I think I just need to get used to these new irons.

BV you will get used to them and you will be hooked. These clubs don't really penalize you for thin shots. I have to think it has to do with the sole. Keep it up!

BV you will get used to them and you will be hooked. These clubs don't really penalize you for thin shots. I have to think it has to do with the sole. Keep it up!

+1 just wait till you start feeling more comfortable after you hit them for a while. i think you'll be very happy...

Well maybe not a 9 iron that was a bit extreme but a 6 perhaps. I had thought you were using these rounds to familiarize yourself with the irons and not care so much about the score. Who cares if it takes you 7 shots to get to the green on a par 4 or 5. IF you have the course pretty much to yourself and just want to get a feel for the clubs it shouldn't matter. That is how I am looking to it, get myself out there when the course is relatively quiet and just hit the clubs and learn about them. Then when you are playing your regular round, you should be wiser as to what you can and can't do with the irons and all should be better.

White Rhino im playing in comps on sat and sunday but im going to go down on tuesday when i no it will be quiet and im going to do this,just go round and use the irons to see what they can do and cant do,its just a shame i couldn't of done it before the comps this weekend but there matchplay doubles so my partner might help me out,these pages are flying past every time i come back on there has been another few pages wrote keep them coming

Funny what our perception is compared to the reality of how the swing looks. I feel like Im taking forever on my swing but in reality its just a good tempo is all. And usually its a much better result.
Ok. I'm thinking the same thing during this "slow down" thing, but like you said, when I look at it back on video, I don't look like a slo-mo crash test dummy (well maybe dummy) but, I feel in my head like I described. I feel like from the time of takeaway to the time of impact, my buddy could load up the cart go grab a bite to eat and return just in time to see the ball leave.

I've become just a slight bit more "thinky" about the takeaway but not too much, my main thoughts are at the point of transition back to the ball and leaving the backswing at a smooth tempo through contact. This is the new part for me after receiving the R11s (graphite shafts) and seeing a difference when I don't bring the club back to the ball so quickly as compared to any other club I've played with recently (all being steel shaft). If that makes sense.

Played hooky yesterday and was able to get out for a round of golf. I tried to concentrate as best I could on using the irons as much as possible. For some reason I found myself hitting a lot of the shots off the toe of the club. THis is something new for me and i am hoping it was a one day thing. Not all shots were terrible and there were quite a few full shots and a couple of chips with the AW that were quite good and brought a big smile to my face. My plan is to spend the winter really getting to know these irons well. I am not as skilled a golfer right now as many of those who frequent this site but it is my hope that come spring time, my iron play will be improved. On a side note, I am already seeing great improvements in my short game since I switched to different wedges a few months ago so I am figuring I can get similar results with the irons over time.

Played hooky yesterday and was able to get out for a round of golf. I tried to concentrate as best I could on using the irons as much as possible. For some reason I found myself hitting a lot of the shots off the toe of the club. THis is something new for me and i am hoping it was a one day thing. Not all shots were terrible and there were quite a few full shots and a couple of chips with the AW that were quite good and brought a big smile to my face. My plan is to spend the winter really getting to know these irons well. I am not as skilled a golfer right now as many of those who frequent this site but it is my hope that come spring time, my iron play will be improved. On a side note, I am already seeing great improvements in my short game since I switched to different wedges a few months ago so I am figuring I can get similar results with the irons over time.

Nice plan Rhino. It took me about 2 months to get used to the V2 irons, but love the results now. (at least I do when all the golf courses are not flooded!) You have dropped the Niblicks completely?

Nice plan Rhino. It took me about 2 months to get used to the V2 irons, but love the results now. (at least I do when all the golf courses are not flooded!) You have dropped the Niblicks completely?

Thanks Two, yes the Niblicks are out of the bag officially. I found wedges that I can hit fairly consistently and with decent results. I am no where near an expert in the short game area but I am getting noticeably better. Same will happen with the irons, just need to put in the course time.

WR...I'm shocked that you played hookie...hehe....did you hit your previous irons off the toe? A few here have said the same thing about toe hits and I am wondering what is causing this. You were fit for the clubs, correct?

Yea I know shocking to play hooky for golf... heck I had so much fun I might do it again today...lol Yesterday was a weird round for me Tadashi, either I hit the ball perfectly or I would hit a bad shot off the toe. Additionally ( though I know it does not belong here) I was hitting wild hooks with my Mashie clubs, something I have seen others mention but something I had never done before. I am charting it up to a bit of course rust and maybe swinging too hard.

And no the off the toe shot was not one I did often with previous clubs.

I must say that I am impressed with the AW in this set. Yesterday, I used it for pitch shots just off the green and I was
able to get up and down several times. On a par 3, I pulled my tee shot about 15 yards left of the green under some oak
and pine trees with the ball sitting on some pine straw and dirt. I was short sided with a bunker that I had to fly the ball over. I opened up my AW and hit a perfect flop shot that went high over the bunker and landed soft to about 7 feet from the cup. I made the putt for a par save.

Back