MattyKrack17

MattyCaulk AkA DigDug
Reaction score
Handicap
So i was at gg, and it was dead. I'm pretty cool with the manager so he let me play around on the lm.

I was hitting the vr pro, 9.5*, px stiff. Also hit Cleveland 290. Also stiff.

Nike was about 8 yards longer for me. Both averaged ariund 12* of launch. But what has me concerned is my back spin on both was between 3500-4200.

Don't understand why I'm getting so much back spin. Thoughts?

tapatalk addict....

Could it just be your swing? Maybe the stiff shafts aren't stiff enough for you? Try something with a PX 6.5 (I'm assuming you were hitting the 6.0). See how that does.

It could have been the shaft, the head or the combo of both.

2 drivers 2 different heads.2 different shafts. And no way do I need x stiff lol . Even though one swing was 112 but I know that's off ha

tapatalk addict....

You never know, x may what you need or a low spinning head like the J40 or R11?

If you have a steep angle on your downswing it causes more backspin. I have lots of backspin using my driver as my swing tends to get too steep at times. I'm working on it and also using a lower spin head and shaft.

No r11. Would love to hit the j40. But no where around me to hit one unfortunately

tapatalk addict....

X flex at 96 average swing speed? Guess it wouldn't hurt to try

tapatalk addict....

So i was at gg, and it was dead. I'm pretty cool with the manager so he let me play around on the lm.

I was hitting the vr pro, 9.5*, px stiff. Also hit Cleveland 290. Also stiff.

Nike was about 8 yards longer for me. Both averaged ariund 12* of launch. But what has me concerned is my back spin on both was between 3500-4200.

Don't understand why I'm getting so much back spin. Thoughts?

tapatalk addict....
Maybe you should think about increasing launch to somewhere between 13.5 to 15. if your average swing speed is 105 mph with ball speed of 160 your optimal launch angle is in this range with a spin rate 2,500rpm. You could move the ball forward in your stance an 1" or 2" to try and hit it more on the upswing.

Maybe you should think about increasing launch to somewhere between 13.5 to 15. if your average swing speed is 105 mph with ball speed of 160 your optimal launch angle is in this range with a spin rate 2,500rpm. You could move the ball forward in your stance an 1" or 2" to try and hit it more on the upswing.

Average dd is 96 with ball speed being in the low 140s

tapatalk addict....

Just a quick thought. Were you using the same ball on the lm that you usually game?

I went for a Bridgestone fitting earlier this year and when testing the B330-S I lost 2500 ish rpm against the Nike 20XI-X that I had been trialing. LA came down to 12.3* from 13.1* and carry increased by 7 yds.

I game a R9 with Aldila RIP Alpha X flex and the Nike always launched like the space shuttle.

sent using Tapatalk for Android

My spin number was a little high with the Nike with the PX also. Not as high as yours but 3200, when I am around 2500 with my driver.

Whatever ball they had, not my normal ball. If I used my normal ball it prolly be higher

tapatalk addict....

I really wanna try the bs as its a low spin head

tapatalk addict....

Had this same problem until I got my RAZR Hawk and a PX Tour shaft and now my numbers are pretty much perfect.

Average dd is 96 with ball speed being in the low 140s

tapatalk addict....

At that speed, your optimal launch angle increases to about 13-16 degrees. You do not want to try and achieve getting this number by increasing the loft on the club because that will generate more spin. A 12 degree launch is optimal for higher swing speeds closer to 120mph. As your ball speed goes down your optimal launch rises. You are trying to create an angle of attack that is somewhere near 0-2 degrees. Check your angle and see if you need more upswing to get it knuckling a little more aiming at 13 degree launch angle. I have been fit and this is some stuff I picked up while dong it so I could buy myself shafts(kickpoint is important in this case) going forward.

It's all shaft. You need to find a shaft that lowers your spin.

I wouldn't think too much about it or let it get into your head unless you could provide more of a controlled test for yourself. Using your own balls and hitting your own driver for a base comparison would help. Numbers can vary WILDLY despite similar lofts and stated flex of shafts. Just so many variables wrt design, clubhead & shaft.

As others have stated, it could very well be your angle of attack. But I'd be careful to not let one brief session on a LM to lead me to start tinkering away with my swing. Beware of unintended consequences, is all. :smile:

The easiest way to change your spin without making drastic purchases would be to change your swing and change your golf ball. During our Spring golf season this year, I was carrying the ball about 260, problem was I was getting so much backspin that occasionally I would spin the ball back in the fairway. The first step I took was trying to work with what I had, which was flattening out my swing some, and changing golf balls. I went from a Pro-v1, to a Pro-v1x when its dry, and a Nxt tour when its wet. This took tons of spin off and i was getting about 10-15 yards roll, as opposed to the 0-5 I was getting before. During early summer though, I decided that my old driver was too high launch and spinning for me, so I shopped around and found the Wilson Staff Spine. I got it in the 9* (my old driver was a 10*) and its a medium launch and spin driver. The results were amazing, I gained about 5 yards more carry, and I was getting about 30 yards of roll. So although a driver can be very helpful in my case, it will only give you significant improvements if you change your swing, and/or golf ball first.

I know I need to continue to work on my swing, but the problem you are seeing is exactly what I see every time I hit on the GG LMs. I can't wait for demo day at the outing to spend some quality time with every driver known to man.

Yeah, just had me curious. Don't think ill change anything until the outing and see if I can get some lm time with JB

tapatalk addict....

Can I ask if you including spin loft in that launch angle calculation?

Marty: If you're maxing out at 145 ball speed you are looking for a decently launch angle and spin rate. I didn't see it listed but do you know what your attack angle is? Hard to go much farther without doing a proper fitting with out. Attack angle will change what you're looking for quite a lot. Someone swinging at 105 for example at a 0 angle needs a higher lofted driver and needs about 400 more RPM's of spin to hit their max distance. Where as someone who hits up 2-4 degrees needs to drop the loft and those 400 RPM's as well.

it could be swing,driver and ball related.you may be coming in at a steeper angle causing more backspin on the ball,a tip to try and help with hitting the driver on the upswing is to tilt your chin to the right of the ball at address and feel as if your head is behind the ball at impact,david leadbetter promotes this tactic.

i had this problem earlier on in the year and it was solely down to driver and shaft,a bad combination of too much loft and soft shaft.i changed this for 7.5* and a much stiffer shaft and it is working well.

So, would it be safe to say that a spin rate around 3,000 rpm would be good for somebody with Matty's swingspeed? I'm right around 95-98 with a launch angle (with SuperTri) around 14-16. My spin numbers are anywhere from 4,000 to 4,400.

What shaft could help drop that much spin? I know the head probably has to go as well.

So, would it be safe to say that a spin rate around 3,000 rpm would be good for somebody with Matty's swingspeed? I'm right around 95-98 with a launch angle (with SuperTri) around 14-16. My spin numbers are anywhere from 4,000 to 4,400.

What shaft could help drop that much spin? I know the head probably has to go as well.

What shaft do you have in there right now? That would help figure out what shaft could lower the spin. The issue with going to a shaft that will be lower spin is that the majority of those shafts will also lower the launch a bit, even if a shaft is marketed as "high launch, low spin."

The Supertri head, as you probably know, is one of the higher-spin heads out there. I stayed in the TM family for the Morgan Cup, but noted a pretty good drop in my spin going from the Supertri to the R11.

Back