OEM Kevin's driver swing!

This thread is what THP is all about to me. Thanks Tadashi70 now how not to slip into old swing habits while on the course. :D

Dear tadashi...i heart you. That was an excellent set of videos. I learned a lot myself and will take that to the course.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Freddie: thanks so much for posting those videos in a way that makes sense to us. I think many of us struggle with this same issue and those videos were super easy to follow. Want to rep but I gotta spread it around first!!

Freddie: thanks so much for posting those videos in a way that makes sense to us. I think many of us struggle with this same issue and those videos were super easy to follow. Want to rep but I gotta spread it around first!!

No rep needed, I do it again and again. It's great to take info from THP and give back. Thanks for the love

Haha seems like Freddie might be the most repped dude on the forum

Tadashi - I remember saying "wow" the first time I saw your swing on video. It's really good. Love that you are sharing your secrets with the rest of us. Thank you!!
My thoughts exactly. I've been practicing these drills today and will take them to the course tomorrow.

Funny thing is, I've known people, and I did it myself for a while, who cock their wrist at the 90* angle at address. I'll do that tomorrow when I play, and I'll probably do the double pump before the actual swing too! We'll see how it works.

My thoughts exactly. I've been practicing these drills today and will take them to the course tomorrow.

Funny thing is, I've known people, and I did it myself for a while, who cock their wrist at the 90* angle at address. I'll do that tomorrow when I play, and I'll probably do the double pump before the actual swing too! We'll see how it works.

Just a tip: don't practice the drills on the course if homes are on the right. I did it today on the 2nd hole.....oops. LOL

Tappin' from my iPad!

Haha. Nothing like that on the right except a 4 lane road on #10 and #12.

Quick tip: make sure you are in your address position when you deliver the wrist cock or early set. The tendency to stand a little taller which creates thin open faced shots. Also don't forget to turn into a strong inside right leg. This will help in play. Swing smooth, worry about contact not distance.

Lmao cookie....I did this too when I first learned it many moons ago. My coach is problaby still laughing

Thanks, I'll remember that.

I hate when my clubs fall over on the range.

Tadashi, Thank you for posting those vids for OEM and all of us to see. There's several things in there I'm going to be working on over the winter. Great stuff and it's awesome of you to take the time out to make those!!!

I've had the tendency to leave my hands a bit open at impact (all clubs) and to fix this, my dad has me swinging a crowbar because the weight just won't let you leave them open. So far, so good!

But how did you do at the range?

Not good. Just had a bad overall range session. Still need to work on getting this swing back into shape. I can hit about 5 clubs all the same distance. lol wtf does that mean? Its odd, I can hit Aw, PW, 9i, 8i all around the same 110 yard flag. Its like I got no pop in my swing anymore.

I just remembered something I havent used in a while that I find quite effective. The impact solutions for golf training aid. Puttin4overthetopswing reviewed it and did a great job too. This with Tadashi's tips should server me well.

I'm in no position to judge the swing, but just to get my facts straight (and plz correct me if I'm wrong) here I go...

At, impact (or as you approach impact) you loose the hip/butt protrusion. It's easy to track the hip by looking at where the hip is at address relative to the trees in the background.

As you approach impact the hip comes forward towards the ball. To my limited knowledge, this causes the upper body to stand up vertically, which then causes the shoulder and arms start from an over the top swing path. You do seem to compensate these movements by manipulating the arms to fall behind or inside-out (less OTT) and pull the swing plane to the left thru and after impact. If this compensating of the swing works, I predict the ball to be a pull or straight ball flight to the left of your aim. However, if you fail, the ball should be any one of a push-slice, push and slice.

There may be several reasons that trigger this hip movement, but I do know that an early driving-forward with the right hip is one of them.
Another, is not shifting the weight to the left with the arms dropping behind before driving and rotating the hips.

If that is the case, I can't recommend the pump drill enough. There's plenty of info out there (THP, Youtube, etc.) on how to do the pump drill.
It really has taken my golf to the next level.

Btw, the practice swing does look much better~

Not good. Just had a bad overall range session. Still need to work on getting this swing back into shape. I can hit about 5 clubs all the same distance. lol wtf does that mean? Its odd, I can hit Aw, PW, 9i, 8i all around the same 110 yard flag. Its like I got no pop in my swing anymore.

I was in the same position as you earlier this year. Was about 3 clubs short on my iron distances and was struggling to hit my drives over 200 yds (previously avg 240-250). Mine was mostly due to a left knee injury, but even after my knee was better, I mentally still make myself shift fully onto my left side. It has been a real struggle to get my swing back anywhere near where it was before and I'm still working on it.

Anyway, keep up the practice and you'll get there.

I'm going to post 3 vids for you. They are all similar in their message..I talk about holding the angle in the first video..

The second is a side view of the 1st and talk about getting you right should behind or on your target line and not in front of it.

Pay attention to the second half of the third video, I talk about keeping the weight on the inside of the right leg. By doing this you will limit the amount of should turn there by reducing an over swing. It also gives you some added power though the ball

Great tips, i ll give them a try and see how they work

Son I have hit flop shots further than that. You need to try the Ping K15 or G20. That will fix you up.

Kevin,

I'm not sure if this has been said since I didn't read the other pages but what I found most interesting was that your practice swing looked nothing like your actual swing. Your practice swing looked really good IMO. It was smooth, looked relaxed and had a good follow through.

But your real swing looked much different. You looked tense, and your club didn't go near as far back as your practice swing. I'm guessing that is where you are losing distance.

A good tip for a lot of people is to just pretend the ball isn't there when your hitting. Or pretend it's a practice swing. You will be more relaxed and your swing will be fluid.

Good stuff Tadashi! That was nice to take time out to do that. Very good stuff in there.

Here is a drill I do when I feel I'm starting to take the club back and little too much on the outside. Take your normal stance. Then take both feet and turn them to the right, keeping the same distance between them as you had on setup, so your toes should be pointing almost behind you. What this does is what Tadashi was talking about, help keeps your right elbow tucked in and promotes one to take the club back more straight back and even to the inside. Also helps with the release of the club at impact because with your feet turned around, the body can't rotate past the ball. It will feel strange and you will only be able to swing maybe 50% of your norm, but its a great drill to promote what your trying to accomplish. Hit a good 10 balls doing this and then try and go back to your normal stance.

Nate, thanks for the avatar pic and the tips haha. I'll give that a try next time Im on the range.

Barber, you saw correctly. Been working on trying to meld those two swings together now for a while.

Keep at it man. I bet if you just got up there and hit the ball with your practice swing you would rip it!

One thing I notice that will definitely help you, your practice swing is nice and full with a nice turn and is faster than your swing through the ball. Mimic your practice swing, if you have to pretend you are taking a practice swing and just let the ball get in the way. I will almost guarantee that you are losing a lot of distance and marginalizing your contact by tensing up through the ball. You can see it in your right elbow and arm action as you move through the ball on the contact swing in the video, you cut your backswing short and your right arm tenses up and your swing gets choppy compared to your practice swing. Hit the ball with your practice swing, make a good full relaxed but controlled turn and don't muscle up through the ball, stay loose but make a controlled turn. The clubhead will speed up a lot. As soon as you begin tensing up on the downswing trying to hit 'hard' you will see in the video that your swing slows down noticeably. Try it, full turn relaxed, the only muscle power you need is enough to guide the club back to the ball, hit with your body turn not your arms and hands. Swing fast, not hard, and let the club do the work. Hope this makes sense.

Back