TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Out again today on the Driving Range. I managed to hit 60 balls before I got worn out ! Consistancy is the word of the day and I'm getting more and more confident with these clubs. I'm sorry to go on about them but they have brought me so much joy and happiness (After struggling to hit my slingshots for so long) I can address the ball so confidently now, knowing that a decent shot will follow. Going out onto the 9 hole par 3 course this week :act-up:

I got out this weekend, but it was really cold, windy, and wet, and it was hard to do anything in it. I felt like I was still making really solid contact, but there were times where the wind was just knocking the ball down, and with the wet fairways, there was no rollout at all. This lead to a lot of hybrids and long irons into the greens because it really seemed like we were into the wind all day. I still feel like I am totally locked in 7-SW, even though I was not accurate with my distances too often Saturday, but I am going to chalk that up to the wind, and my inability to judge the effect it would have on my shots. I can say that I did not hit a single iron where I was wondering what just happened. No big misses all day, even with the long irons, so my game is really starting to come around...just in time for winter.

So since the cold and rainy weather is setting in for me, I want to ask a question to everyone. What one thing about this set of clubs makes it hard to think you'll ever pull them from your bag?

For me, I tend to like the club as a whole, but the one thing I like the most is how easy it is to hit them. I can hit any shot I want, and every swing is just effortless. A slowed down swing can produce the best shots I've ever hit in my life, and it has caused my over-the-top to disappear. I hit my old Burner Plus irons, took the same swing, and never got the same good results. These clubs are very much meant for me and my game, and that's why I think so. What about every one else though? What is your favorite thing these clubs offer?

So since the cold and rainy weather is setting in for me, I want to ask a question to everyone. What one thing about this set of clubs makes it hard to think you'll ever pull them from your bag?

For me, I tend to like the club as a whole, but the one thing I like the most is how easy it is to hit them. I can hit any shot I want, and every swing is just effortless. A slowed down swing can produce the best shots I've ever hit in my life, and it has caused my over-the-top to disappear. I hit my old Burner Plus irons, took the same swing, and never got the same good results. These clubs are very much meant for me and my game, and that's why I think so. What about every one else though? What is your favorite thing these clubs offer?

One word for me Josh "Confidence"

Consistency.

For me, the 6-SW are the most consistent irons I've ever hit. Like I've posted previously, the longer clubs just have too much offset for me, but the remainder of the set are just consistent. My poor shots just miss "less" with the Burner 2s, than any other set I've ever hit.

Will this set be in my bag for the rest of my life? Of course not, they may not make it through next season. But one heck of a set of clubs will need to be released to give them the boot.

Consistency.

For me, the 6-SW are the most consistent irons I've ever hit. Like I've posted previously, the longer clubs just have too much offset for me, but the remainder of the set are just consistent. My poor shots just miss "less" with the Burner 2s, than any other set I've ever hit.

Will this set be in my bag for the rest of my life? Of course not, they may not make it through next season. But one heck of a set of clubs will need to be released to give them the boot.

OK 2 Words Consistency and Confidence :clapp:

Date 10/30/11
Conditions: Brrrr 45 and drizzle
Clubs: Burner 2.0 w/ KBS Tour S
Ball: Medium quality range balls
Surface: Mat
Goal: General range session, first in 2 weeks, just to hit balls

As the weather worsens up here in the north, golf slows to a crawl. I have already missed 2 days of scheduled golf in the last 2 weeks due to cold and rainy weather. The good news... I have probably had the best golf year of my life, played 6 courses in Maui, all 4 Bandon Dunes courses, Pumpkin Ridge, Chamber's Bay, and on top of that, got the opportunity to test some great irons. So I can't complain that the golf season is for the most part over. Decent days will be few and far between up here for the next 4 months, but you better believe I will get out and play when I can. Since the weather sucked again this weekend, I decided to go hit some range balls.

I hit every iron from 4-PW about 10 balls each. One thing really stood out to me... I really love these clubs. The cold weather is verifying this fact even more. Pure strikes feel and sound great, even in the 40 degree temps. On misses, there is feedback into your hands, but it doesn't rattle your hands to the point of being uncomfortable. In the cold weather, this is huge. When your hands are already close to numb due to the cold, you dont need a mishit making them worse. I didn't hit anything terribly bad, but the 3 balls I missed (1 with the 4 iron, 2 with the 5 iron) a couple of grooves thin let me know I missed through my hands and even more so the sound without killing my hands.

My distances are not surprisingly shorter than my summer distances, but not by much. Here were my averages yesterday with the 2.0's:

4 iron: 214
5 iron: 202
6 iron: 191
7 iron: 174
8 iron: 160
9 iron: 149
PW: 135

I already miss the summer weather. HAHA. I actually like these shorter distances. They are good spacing with no big gaps and they were all pretty consistent distance wise. I am still missing a little left to right, with my prominant miss being slightly left, but for the most part I was happy. It was just nice to swing my clubs a little, and get back into a groove. I am going to try and get out again later in the week.

Oh... And Happy Halloween All!!

Last edited:
Glad you had a chance to get out, TH.

I played this past weekend at my normal club, Keith Hills from the white tee's this time. After coming back from a wrist injury, I didn't want to overdo it from the tips.

The round was solid (except putting.....ugh), but nothing spectacular for a 43/46 (89). Driver was on today and I hit 9/14 fairways. However, the 2.0's weren't as accurate as I've seen them before. I think this stems from me being slightly scared to hit down on the ball (due to wrist) and I ended up catching 4-5 shots thin.

In general though, the 2.0's still performed quite well. Since I was playing the whites, I didn't have to use anything over a 6I all day. So I plan on focusing on the 8, 9 and PW.

8I:
This is my most accurate club in the set. While I only used it 3 times, I hit the green every time with it. It is just money from 165. Ball launches very high and lands softly with the perfect amount of spin to one hop stop every time. I do have a bit of problem trying to fade/draw this club. I can normally only move the ball 5 yards at most.

9I:
This club is hit or miss. I used it 4 times and had a thin and a pull with it. This club has been a bit inconsistent for me. I use this club from 140-155 which is a bigger gap than my other clubs. Some days, I have no problem hitting this club 155 while other days, I can't get it past 145 and it's kind of frustrating. With the 3 shots that I actually hit the ball, they all landed around the 150 range (2 of the shots were straight and close to intended target).

PW:
The PW is again a club I occasionally struggle with the pulls. I used this 3 times and pulled 2 shots left. This caused a missed green and 3 total strokes lost (2 wedges, long putt). In general, I think I am not paying attention to the shorter length of the club and treating it like a normal iron which leads to pulls. If I play it more like a wedge (52*) then I hit it much better.

Overall, these are my scoring clubs and they normally do what is expected. I need to work a bit on controlling the pulls that I seem to encounter when hitting the short irons but overall, they do what is asked.

I got out this weekend, but it was really cold, windy, and wet, and it was hard to do anything in it. I felt like I was still making really solid contact, but there were times where the wind was just knocking the ball down, and with the wet fairways, there was no rollout at all. This lead to a lot of hybrids and long irons into the greens because it really seemed like we were into the wind all day. I still feel like I am totally locked in 7-SW, even though I was not accurate with my distances too often Saturday, but I am going to chalk that up to the wind, and my inability to judge the effect it would have on my shots. I can say that I did not hit a single iron where I was wondering what just happened. No big misses all day, even with the long irons, so my game is really starting to come around...just in time for winter.

Umm no mention of the insane shot caught on video?

I love how sharp those shafts look!

Umm no mention of the insane shot caught on video?

I figured I would wait for One-T to post the video in the hole of the day video thread, but since you brought it up, I hit a perfect drive to 153 in the middle of the fairway, and followed it with an 8 iron that was struck perfectly. Straight over the top of the flag and wound up 4 feet away. Chunky fixed the mark, and said he could not believe how close it was to the hole. I blew the putt 3 feet past the hole and made the par coming back, but, it was onr of those shots that definitely brings you back to the course even if everything else was just meh.

My most common miss with my short irons is a slight pull as well Jef.

I hope to hit the range tomorrow as its supposed to be low 60s here in Cincinnati. I picked up a tip from TC about staying down on the ball, hopefully that will keep me fron having most my shots miss to the toe side.

I have made since the end of the season last year. Trying to get my ball flight down a bit. Took out the fitting cart from the pro shop thus week and really liked the kbs tours. Anyone with burners use this shaft?

I have made since the end of the season last year. Trying to get my ball flight down a bit. Took out the fitting cart from the pro shop thus week and really liked the kbs tours. Anyone with burners use this shaft?

I am a high ball hitter and have the KBS Tour 120g stiff shafts in my 2.0's. Coming from the KBS 90 shaft, my ball flight is is down and my dispersion is better. My miss is a slight pull, but my accuracy has improved. I was fitted for this shaft, so I know it is right for me. If you can, do a fitting.

Got fitted for these originally. But my swing plane ( and swing) has changed since. I am fortunate that our pro lets us take any demo club out for a spin. I took the whole fitting cart out last week and started playing around. I liked the feel of the kbs best. Will spend more time if weather permits.

Good to see you guys still at it putting these bad boys through their paces. I just want to chime in that my 2.0s have suddenly become my most consistent clubs. Contact has been incredibly solid and every club (not so much that dang 4i) has been awesome.

Had two shots yesterday that I want to share. After hooking a drive to nearly the next holes tee box I was left with approximately 185 slightly downhill into a steady 8mph breeze. Set up with my 6i and absolutely pured it to 10 feet and saved my par. Craziest thing about that shot was that the ball only released about 2 feet on a drilled 6i (I'm sure wind/downhill played a part). Next hole I put my drive down the left side and left about 160 downhill, hit a slightly faded 8i to about 8 feet again. This ball stopped and drew back 2 feet. How fun is iron confidence!!

I dont play the Burners but that's the only shaft i use. I have that shaft in my Ping i3's and my R9 TP's and my Titleist Blades and most of my wedges it's a very solid shaft.

Got fitted for these originally. But my swing plane ( and swing) has changed since. I am fortunate that our pro lets us take any demo club out for a spin. I took the whole fitting cart out last week and started playing around. I liked the feel of the kbs best. Will spend more time if weather permits.

Cool! I love the KBS Tour/Burner 2.0 combo. It is a great setup, and if you need to get the ball down, this setup will help. Have you hit the C Tapers yet?

They were not in the fitting cart. They look like better fit . Guess I will gave to ask my pro to order one.

Ran into a little demo day this past weekend and had a chance to hit these again. I really loved the sound and how effortlessly the balls came off the club face. I think this essentially reinforced my decision to get these clubs. My iron game is stronger than my driver, so I believe upgrading my irons would significantly help my game.

Ran into a little demo day this past weekend and had a chance to hit these again. I really loved the sound and how effortlessly the balls came off the club face. I think this essentially reinforced my decision to get these clubs. My iron game is stronger than my driver, so I believe upgrading my irons would significantly help my game.

You won't be disappointed. While they are not right for everyone, if they are right for you, they are so easy to hit, and hit consistently. Good luck!

The impact sound on these are just great. I don't know if its the thin walls coupled with the vibration badge behind it, but they are just awesome sounding. I hit the range today, and brought the video cam along. My results were typical of what I have seen so far. Slight-mid draws throughout the set with the occasional pull to the left. The grass tees were closed so I was relegated to the mats. The sound off the mats isn't quite as impressive as the sound from real turf, but it is still great. While the irons do pick up that green film on the bottom from the mats, it wiped off easily with a plastic brush and water.

Yorkem - I included a few titles and transitions from iMovie just for you...

Video is private =/

I hate the green film from the mats, but like you said, it wipes off easily.

Back