TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Well, yesterday was just a plain awful range session for me. I hit some quality golf shots but it wasn't a positive range experience at all. It was one of those times when I really didn't want to be out there but I was still out there. I made some good swings, and I made some terrible swings. I felt like I was quick and out of sorts for the bulk of my range session. When I get quick with these irons, I see a lot of thin shots. Not worm burner thin, but more of a mid launch, hit and scoot type of shot. I wasn't fond of them at all. Boy, these irons sure do reward a grooved golf swing though. I didn't have them near as often as I have been but they were a lovely and welcomed shot when I got them yesterday.

Was it cold? Maybe you just weren't in to it. I hate days like that on the range. I bet next time will be better out there.

Well, yesterday was just a plain awful range session for me. I hit some quality golf shots but it wasn't a positive range experience at all. It was one of those times when I really didn't want to be out there but I was still out there. I made some good swings, and I made some terrible swings. I felt like I was quick and out of sorts for the bulk of my range session. When I get quick with these irons, I see a lot of thin shots. Not worm burner thin, but more of a mid launch, hit and scoot type of shot. I wasn't fond of them at all. Boy, these irons sure do reward a grooved golf swing though. I didn't have them near as often as I have been but they were a lovely and welcomed shot when I got them yesterday.

I think yesterday must have been just an all around bad day for you buddy. Just let that range session go...hopefully last night with the Lil' Jet got you back in groove man!

I know it was just one of those days. Thank gawd I wasn't actually playing, it could have been nasty. I couldn't hit anything longer than a 8 iron worth a fart yesterday. I had way too much stuff going on in my head while standing over a golf ball.

I know it was just one of those days. Thank gawd I wasn't actually playing, it could have been nasty. I couldn't hit anything longer than a 8 iron worth a fart yesterday. I had way too much stuff going on in my head while standing over a golf ball.

I hate days like that. I usually just bust out the driver and bash balls till I am tired. I then go home feeling better that I bashed balls. HAHA

Just one of those things TC, we have all had those days! you do have to admit that thin shots don't kill you with thse clubs. A couple of grooves low and you still get some what of a quality shot

Just one of those things TC, we have all had those days! you do have to admit that thin shots don't kill you with thse clubs. A couple of grooves low and you still get some what of a quality shot

I actually think that's a nice positive to be honest. My miss with these seem to be a thinner shot, and while they aren't ideal, they aren't round busters either.

Sounds like your tempo was all messed up. Sounds familiar.

Sounds like your tempo was all messed up. Sounds familiar.

Everything was messed up. I wanted to throw things. But not my R11 irons.

Everything was messed up. I wanted to throw things. But not my R11 irons.

Thats what I have Vokey wegdes for dudem. Its so nice out I want to take the R11's out for a little golf. BUT my swing is a wreck right now. Id want to throw something I know.

Thats what I have Vokey wegdes for dudem. Its so nice out I want to take the R11's out for a little golf. BUT my swing is a wreck right now. Id want to throw something I know.

Perfect day to stay inside, stay on THP, and talk about R11's bro.

C'mon guys, take it from one who has wanted to and tossed far more clubs than either of you. It is just a bump in the road.

C'mon guys, take it from one who has wanted to and tossed far more clubs than either of you. It is just a bump in the road.

The old rhino perspective! Thanks dude. I've forgotten about yesterday. That's how my brain works.

TC as soon as ive had a day like that at the range i go on the course the next day not expecting anything and normally play well,just put it out of your mind mate it will be better next time

just got these 4-AW , but im now debating on if I should get a 54* wedge to go with my 60* or just keep my 56* in the bag with the 60*. anyone else solve this mystery?

just got these 4-AW , but im now debating on if I should get a 54* wedge to go with my 60* or just keep my 56* in the bag with the 60*. anyone else solve this mystery?

i have a 56*,60*,64* and i barely use them anymore the AW is so versatile that i use it for most shots i would use my other wedges for. i think you would be fine with a 56* and 60*. just practice a lot with the AW.

I switched from 56 60 combo to 54 60 only for one reason. I hit a 56 about 95 yards and had to muscle it for a 100. The 54 100 yards is a regular swing. I'd do it based on your gap yardage wise between what you hit the aw for the r11 and what you hit the 56

I don't have the stock gap wedge so I go R11 PW > 50* > 56*

Pretty excited about seeing how this combo works out.

Thanks for all the great input. A reason why this site and the people on it are so great.

ive been thinking of adding this to my set is it just as good Buckjob as i find the SW great as well and need that gap filling from my PW to SW

id buy the AW in a heartbeat. its worth its weight in gold in my set anyway. i did have the SW in my Burner 2.0s but i never used it as much as i used my Xfts and i prob would not buy the SW in the R11s even though i love the AW as much as i do.

id buy the AW in a heartbeat. its worth its weight in gold in my set anyway. i did have the SW in my Burner 2.0s but i never used it as much as i used my Xfts and i prob would not buy the SW in the R11s even though i love the AW as much as i do.

thanks very much i should of just gone for the AW in the first place but now ive got the SW might aswell add the AW thanks again for the help

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date- 11/01/11
Irons Used- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex KBS Steel Shafts
Previous Irons-Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Ball Used- Vision X3
Testing Conditions- Sunny 55*
Location- Ravens Claw Golf Course-6300 Yards 70.1/128

Ok so i got done my ice hockey practice this morning and i couldn't believe how nice it was when i got to my car, so i called my favorite course to see if they were open due to the snow we had the past few days and they said they were, so i went home changed, grabbed my clubs and off i went. Today was one of those days with these irons that i really got to see almost all of the reasons i have come to really love these clubs. Yes im using the "L" word now with them. Our relationship has gone to the next level..... First off i'll get to the goods then ill talk about what i saw with them today that i liked so much.... OK i had a career best round today i shot a 73 or 2 over par with 2 birdies and 4 bogeys. I wish i could have putted better. i get so frustrated not draining more of these putts that im dropping within 10 feet of the cup with these irons. But thats something i need to work on... today i had 34 putts with one 3 jack.... heres where the R11s really shined.... 13 GIR with another 2 on the fringe... my driving was good today i didn't get into much trouble off the tee which was a big help and making me realize i don't have to hit driver every hole especially if i'm not hitting it great that day. The irons can make up the distance and still get me on the green in 2 from farther out. i had some really nice shots with longer irons today from over 170 yards.
As for my thoughts for the round.... first off i wanted to touch on forgiveness. now i normally am decent at making good contact and i don't hit off the toe or heel very often, they just usually aren't my misses. but since i had my lesson yesterday and i was trying to work some of it into my game today i did mishit about 3 balls off the toe today. 2 of them still had the distance and accuracy to make it on the green another one was just short of the green. Like i said before i can tell right away that i mishit the ball just as i know when i hit a clean shot. I have video of the mishit and the results you can def hear the mishit in the video which was great! My other shot was about 165 yards uphill and i hit my 7 iron and mishit it off the toe and it was still pin high just faded more to the right than it should have and made it on the green. i was really impressed with those 2 shots today cause i didn't think i had a chance of the ball getting to the green let alone close to the flag. They really kept their lines pretty well and distance was spot on which really surprised me.
Longer irons today were really good. i had a few longer shots into the greens today... on the one long par 3 -card says 228 yards today it was playing 220 to the middle and i always have to hit a 3/4 hybrid i decided to try my luck with my 4 iron. now i normally hit that about 210 so i figured maybe i could just get it up on the front of the green which would be amazing cause i can't remember getting a GIR on this hole. i hit a great shot and just missed it to the left of the green but i had the distance i needed to at least get it on. something im gonna have to remember for next time especially if the pin is in the front. my shot of the day came on a par 5 that i had 200 yards left for my 2nd shot and i put it to 10' of the flag- thats in the video also. i was surprised it was as close as it was when i got up there cause i lost the ball in the clouds when it was coming down. It made me laugh cause i should almost expect it to be on the green anymore.
My dispersion and accuracy today was good as it has been. Like usual i'm leaving myself with 10'-15' birdie putts a lot. Why i'm making so many pars even with my bad putting i can't 3 putt from 10'... I was so happy with my round in general today. Irons where by far at the top of making my round so great. What can i say, today i really saw all the great aspects that make these irons awesome..... Distance, Accurate, Forgiving, and great feel/feedback. I can honestly say my iron game has never been this good before. Anyway heres some videos i put together. its a little long like 7 minutes but i got some great video today of some shots and i wanted to share them, hope you guys enjoy.

<font size="3"><font color="#262626"><span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; ">

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date- 11/01/11
Irons Used- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex KBS Steel Shafts
Previous Irons-Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Ball Used- Vision X3
Testing Conditions- Sunny 55*
Location- Ravens Claw Golf Course-6300 Yards 70.1/128

Ok so i got done my ice hockey practice this morning and i couldn't believe how nice it was when i got to my car, so i called my favorite course to see if they were open due to the snow we had the past few days and they said they were, so i went home changed, grabbed my clubs and off i went. Today was one of those days with these irons that i really got to see almost all of the reasons i have come to really love these clubs. Yes im using the "L" word now with them. Our relationship has gone to the next level..... First off i'll get to the goods then ill talk about what i saw with them today that i liked so much.... OK i had a career best round today i shot a 73 or 2 over par with 2 birdies and 4 bogeys. I wish i could have putted better. i get so frustrated not draining more of these putts that im dropping within 10 feet of the cup with these irons. But thats something i need to work on... today i had 34 putts with one 3 jack.... heres where the R11s really shined.... 13 GIR with another 2 on the fringe... my driving was good today i didn't get into much trouble off the tee which was a big help and making me realize i don't have to hit driver every hole especially if i'm not hitting it great that day. The irons can make up the distance and still get me on the green in 2 from farther out. i had some really nice shots with longer irons today from over 170 yards.
As for my thoughts for the round.... first off i wanted to touch on forgiveness. now i normally am decent at making good contact and i don't hit off the toe or heel very often, they just usually aren't my misses. but since i had my lesson yesterday and i was trying to work some of it into my game today i did mishit about 3 balls off the toe today. 2 of them still had the distance and accuracy to make it on the green another one was just short of the green. Like i said before i can tell right away that i mishit the ball just as i know when i hit a clean shot. I have video of the mishit and the results you can def hear the mishit in the video which was great! My other shot was about 165 yards uphill and i hit my 7 iron and mishit it off the toe and it was still pin high just faded more to the right than it should have and made it on the green. i was really impressed with those 2 shots today cause i didn't think i had a chance of the ball getting to the green let alone close to the flag. They really kept their lines pretty well and distance was spot on which really surprised me.
Longer irons today were really good. i had a few longer shots into the greens today... on the one long par 3 -card says 228 yards today it was playing 220 to the middle and i always have to hit a 3/4 hybrid i decided to try my luck with my 4 iron. now i normally hit that about 210 so i figured maybe i could just get it up on the front of the green which would be amazing cause i can't remember getting a GIR on this hole. i hit a great shot and just missed it to the left of the green but i had the distance i needed to at least get it on. something im gonna have to remember for next time especially if the pin is in the front. my shot of the day came on a par 5 that i had 200 yards left for my 2nd shot and i put it to 10' of the flag- thats in the video also. i was surprised it was as close as it was when i got up there cause i lost the ball in the clouds when it was coming down. It made me laugh cause i should almost expect it to be on the green anymore.
My dispersion and accuracy today was good as it has been. Like usual i'm leaving myself with 10'-15' birdie putts a lot. Why i'm making so many pars even with my bad putting i can't 3 putt from 10'... I was so happy with my round in general today. Irons where by far at the top of making my round so great. What can i say, today i really saw all the great aspects that make these irons awesome..... Distance, Accurate, Forgiving, and great feel/feedback. I can honestly say my iron game has never been this good before. Anyway heres some videos i put together. its a little long like 7 minutes but i got some great video today of some shots and i wanted to share them, hope you guys enjoy.

<font size="3"><font color="#262626"><span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; ">

Good Job teammate! Now if you will just get out there and get those putts down. We will be all set come outing time! I would really like to play a round with the R11's to see. I know they are way easier to hit than my MB's, It'd be interesting to see.

Dang bucky! Awesome stuff. Holes in one, new career low round, and you're striping the long irons. I'd say these are working out well for you.

Dang bucky! Awesome stuff. Holes in one, new career low round, and you're striping the long irons. I'd say these are working out well for you.

yeah they really are. im still amazed by my shots its kinda funny to me cause ive always been so inconsistent with my irons. But these are so much more accurate and predictable than my other sets and i love going for flags now.

Back