Cold weather golf ball recommendations

But if your using a tour type ball & I don't see many.... I wouldn't give that up to play something of lesser compression which you would give up spin, feel, etc. that I'm used to. I know in colder weather the ball travels less but I don't see using something where might help with few yards of distance but nothing else to me.

Being in SE Georgia it gets cold but not where where I feel I would change balls due to it. I guess other places you might but depends on ball you play regularly also.

I play the Pro v1x everyday, but here in the Frozen Tundra of Indiana when the ground gets cold and the air temp hoovers around 50 degrees or so the Pro v1x doesn't fly as far, most likely due to the ability or lack of to compress it when it's cold. Now the Wilson Staff Zip on the other hand feels good off all of the clubs under these conditions, and as I said earlier I may try them in warmer weather. I know that I will play them whaI go to Florida in Feb. for a few months.

How much farther do you hit the Wilson Staff Zip than the Prov1x when it's cold?

Wilson Zip is a good one. Bridgestone TRESOFT.

Another vote for the Wilson Staff Zip or 50.

Same here - I've played the Wilson zips and like them a lot for winter golf. I like the trispeeds as well. Both are low compression and soft enough to minimize any sting on cold hands and fingers. I think the trispeeds produce slightly higher ball flight and perhaps a touch more distance for me, but I like them both.

How much farther do you hit the Wilson Staff Zip than the Prov1x when it's cold?

Off of the driver the Wilson Zip will fly 15-20 yards farther in the cold, but where I like them the best is with my mid irons, The wilson will fly the same in the cold as the Pro v 1x in the warm. I usually hit my 9 iron 125 -130 in the warm air with good stopping spin but in the cold the Prov1x seems to only fly about 100 yards where the Wilson Zip will go 120-125. Now that I have said that I don't hit my clubs as far as most , So why play a tour ball? Well I have gotten very used to the ability to work the ball left and right and to have it do what I want around and on the green. I guess a lesser ball may work for me , but I have played many and I seem to get my best performance and my lowest rounds to date have all been with the Prov1x

it was 35 degrees out today and i managed to play a topflite d2 feel and it was pretty good

Played the trispeed the other day in 6* celcius weather and it was great. Once I run out of the e6's I bought for winter golf I will be buying those.

I bought 2 dozen Callaway Diablo balls at Dicks this morning (2 for 35). I walked 12 holes this afternoon (temp was about 43 degrees). I was very impressed by both the distance and spin of the Diablo balls. I use a sky caddie so I am able to track how far I hit my clubs. I typically average approx 265 with my driver in mid summer (r9 driver, stiff shaft, ball is Taylormade Penta). Today with the diablo I marked two drives at 245 and 252. Considering the air was a bit heavy (storm coming in) I think I will get 10 yards more on a clear winter day.

The spin was easily as good as the penta's in mid summer. I am sold. Can't wait to try them again.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Recommendations for Cold Weather Golf Balls?

Recommendations for Cold Weather Golf Balls?

So, it seems like some distance gets lost from the colder weather... Has anyone experienced more luck in distance with softer balls in the colder months, or am I just getting lazy with my swing haha?

Should I go for a softer ball that is easier to compress in the cold, or stick to what I know?

I think if you keep your golf balls in the house you should have no problem playing your regular golf ball.

Awwww dude don't get me started on the cold balls again :D. I would recommend getting a low compression ball and keep them warm prior to tee off time. Keep them in the house over night if possible and or in your pants prior to teeing off. Warm balls do work better in cold weather :thumb:

P.S. If you have a cart cover with a propane heater, roll your balls around the heater to warm em up.

Merged with another thread on the topic.

Wilson Staff Zip again, but the Srixon Trispeed is a great winter ball. I was playing low compression balls for the winter golf but could not get used to the lack of spin on short pitches and chips and have gone back to my old favorite ball the nike one tour.

I switched from an Bridgestone e7 to a Noodle today and I honestly think I added a club to two clubs of distance from yesterday to today.

Hilarious how much a golf ball can change a game.

I'm dredging this guy up since I'm looking for cold weather ball advice.

Does anyone have any experience or preference on switching from an e7 to and e6 or e5? I love my e7 but as we start to golf in the 50s and maybe even 40s around here, I want something a little softer. Our greens get hard, so I am leaning towards the e5 to maximize any potential bite on the greens.

E5 is going to be spinnier around the greens since it has a urethane cover. However, it's going to be fairly firm cored like the e7. If you are looking for a softer ball to make it easier to compress in the cooler temps the e6 would be the one to look at.

Noodles "Longest". Picked up a box of these earlier this year and have just been impressed with them. 45* yesterday and these things were long and straight. I laid some lazer's at the flag that stopped quick, two give-me's in the 4 holes I played. We'll see how they do in the 60's today.

I am going to give the Wilson Staff Zip a try today. 40 to 45 degrees where I am today.

I tried out the latest Pinnacle Gold (yellow Optix version) on Tuesday. For $15.99 for 15 balls you couldn't beat it.
Downside was I should have opted for white balls instead of the yellow. The yellow blended in too much with the fall leaves.
I just switched to a new driver so I really couldn't compare distance off the tee (as I've only had a chance to hit it in the cold weather), but I did notice that my irons pretty much played the same distance as they do in the summer months. Temps were in the high 50's low 60's though so it wasn't that cold.

I have always played Srixon AD333 in the winter months. Going to give the E6 a shot this year and see how it compares.

Q-Star fellas, great ball.

Back